ADVERTISEMENT

The longest day-after

After watching a significant amount of the Utah State/ New Mexico game, two teams that are truly bereft of talent, I watched 2 erratic left handed quarterbacks in your game. Somebody had to win, and with 5 minutes left in the game, San Diego, after being stuffed the entire game. suddenly finds its running game. You have no excuses other than you are the web-Ls. Haener is up next, and its more than likely you will experience another long day. You have alot more talent than either Hawaii or Nevada, but winning at Hawaii is never easy and Nevada, despite one of it's worst teams ever, will show up. Losing to Nevada with a bowl berth in the balance would be devastating. I suggest you lose to Hawaii and diminish the impact of the Nevada game. Besides, a 4-8 record is pretty good for you guys.

Good Old Days

The games tipped off at 8:05 which gave plenty of time for day shift dealers to get to the game either on time or with 15 to go in the first half. I was working at Caesar's at the time and the buzz was palpable from 82-92. Everybody wanted to go see the Greatest Show in Town.
From the time we got to work we would be making deals and finageling for the EO (early out) so we could get out by 7:40 to get to the T & M before tip off. The light show was new to college and pro hoops at that time and everybody stood and did the Shark Arms to the theme of Jaws. Nothing like it, Rebel hoops was electric.
i still go, still love my Rebs no matter how much they break my heart and always will. Can't wait for Monday, Go Rebels, hoping for one more magical season.

Juco commit

I didn't see this mentioned elsewhere on here, so...

Jeffrey Waddilove

@JeffWaddilove

Top 50 JUCO Rob Whaley chooses #UNLVmbb over Wichita State & Boise State. Their 1st pledge for 2023, Whaley is a brute force, multidimensional type. At 6'5, he has elite post moves, can face up, has terrific vision, is a savage rebounder, & likes to finish well above the rim.

2:48 PM · Oct 17, 2022·Twitter for Android

OT: Invasion of North Dakota hocket fans tonight

U of North Dakota plays Ariz St in vegas tonight in hockey. Thousands from North Dakota are in vegas for the game. Vegas connection is Ralph Engelstad who owned Imperial Plaza in vegas before his death built a $100 arena for U of North Dakota hockey. And as a big ____ you to ncaa he put a indian headress on every aisle and at other places around the arena so when ncaa made them retire the fighting sioux nickname, they could not totally make it go away.

Last 4 have gotten better

Haner throws for 400+ to lead Fresno St back from 28-10 deficit

SD St scores 28

Nevada loses to SanJose by 7 where we got destroyed by San Jose

Hawaii loses by 7 to Wyoming. We would be underdogs by more than 7 to Wyoming.

Early in the year Nevada and Hawaii were gimmes, not so much now.

Will be a real test for rebels to see if they have gotten better or worse as season went on.

Consistent Excellence

I've been thinking about the characteristics of teams that have a consistently high level of excellence in football. It comes from trying to get my mind around why we have generally sucked for 30+ years and other programs will have a down year here and there, but they normally compete in their league.

1. Administration - University President understands the importance of sports to the university as a whole. AD knows his role and is successful in raising money, selecting coaches and keeping the NCAA at bay.

2. Coach - a program absolutely needs a coach who can get the right assistants, recruit players, generate team harmony and develop schemes and game plans.

3. Boosters - Boosters are required to raise $$ and get recruits. They are especially needed now to put together NIL deals for recruiting.

4. Facilities - You can't win without players and good players have a choice where they go. You need facilities to get recruits.

5. Quarterback - an excellent quarterback can make up for what otherwise is a fair team. You can have all the other pieces and if your QB's suck so goes the team. IMO, a good coach and boosters will get you enough "lunch pail" players so an excellent QB can take a team over the top.

So where do we sit? I think the current president is good but not dynamic. AD is O.K. but not proven. Excellent facilities. The rest is lacking.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT