ADVERTISEMENT

Is anyone surprised by this?

Running tempo can really work when you get momentum. You can lock defenses into certain packages, and really get them gassed.

But this really only works with productive plays on first downs, and it is the most effective from run plays. That has been our problem. The run game has not been good on early downs, pass plays that end in negative yards or incompletes kill tempo.

More than tempo, amount of plays, etc. To me the most important aspect to make this offense at it's most effective is being able to run the ball on early downs.
Reactions: LVRebel2000

Stealing signals

Decoys are always a part of it. I can’t recall when we first started using decoys - I believe we were 12 years old when we started.
Reading signs/signals started in Little League and pre-high school basketball for me. By the time we got to high school, looking for tells, signs, and deciphering decoys became required learning. In baseball, if you weren't pitching that day, you better be watching the opposing coaches (third base, HC and pitching coach), as well as pitchers, to try to get a read. Chambers would love you when you pointed something out to him.

Stealing signals

Starting this season communication from coach to player through the helmet will be used.

Then won’t there be technology to intercept the radio signals?

Im not even sure what plays per game accomplishes two of the top scoring teams last year LSU (1) and Oregon (4) were 78 and 105 in plays per game and 1 and 2 in yards per play. Oregon did this with having an edge vs their opponents in time of possession 31:01 minutes per game, LSU was slightly less at 28:29.

So to me keep you defense from playing more than your offense, score a lot and have a lot of yards per play moving the chains is more important than how many plays you run.

Its crazy to think that running 4 more plays a game is a huge jump in pace of play... My concern would be an offense that rolls to fast and a defense that gets gassed because it doesnt have time to recover due to the pace. all our weapons and offensive design is to play full throttle, but an important part to winning big games is being able to also possess the ball when necessary. Particularly end of halves and especially if your winning.

Stealing signals

Personally I think they should hire a few students or fans, involve them as part of the team, dress them up a coaches on game day and let them hold random posters with images on the sidelines every week just to throw the other teams off. Its crazy that teams can decipher the 6 image combinations and read the plays, now image adding 3 random fans that just have a binder full of images that mean nothing and associate with nothing but look legit along side the official play call...

We got football this Saturday

I think -25 at home to SMU is better than -13.5 at home to Montana State.

UNM opened at -4.5 and has been bet up to -13.5. Heavens to Betsy!

I can't wait to watch. Bring the games, please. The game I really want to watch week one (apart from UNLV of course) is NDSU at Colorado on 8/29
Oh 💩 ! I didn't realize NDSU and CU were playing. How Intriguing. Thanks for that heads up!

ESPN 2024 player sleeper picks - DE Antonio Doyle Jr.

Nothing but love for Jayden and the job he did last year. Wish him nothing but the best. I don't think anyone can deny that we snuck up on some people last year, and that's not happening this year. That said, I think our three competitors will push each other enough that it will end up being a net gain for UNLV at QB. Really stoked about the season that is upon us!

I agree in general. One thing Maiava had was pretty good arm talent. He also was a bit of a gunslinger for better or worse.

I think both of our newcomers also have pretty good arms, but it is to be seen that they can or are willing to make certain throws that JM did. One critique of Sluka for instance was bailing from the pocket and taking off running perhaps too soon. Who knows what they will look like in this offense though.

It is safe to say that our run game will be more dynamic since both newcomers are easily better runners than JM. Our RB core should be good, probably comparable to last season give or take, but there will be a lot of new faces this season so hard to say until game 1.
As you said for better or worse. Sluka looks more conservative to me and not as accurate (from the one game I saw). But he won't make the turnovers Maiva made so we'll see how that all nets out.

Stealing signals

I agree. I think sign stealing is a part of competition. But I do think there are limits to sign stealing too.

In the traditional sense … I’m trying to decipher your signals … I’m fine with it. And the reason I’m ok with it is … well, you look for gives within the game as it is … positioning, eyes/looks, it’s all cat and mouse and I consider signs the same way. If you misinterpret … it can backfire big time, so there is risk, too.

Using different camera angles, sensitive mics, electronics or non-team personnel to convey things back, no, not a fan. At all. That’s cheating.

It should be “natural” or at least “traditional”.
Agreed. using electronics and cameras/mics, etc is cheating. I feel like in the next 5-10 years, there will be no need for signs in sports though, but instead, teams will have earpieces, bracelets, etc, that convey the plays.
Reactions: bcvegaspt2

Stealing signals

That's gamesmanship IMO. Same in just about every sport. I'd always be watching in baseball trying to figure out the other teams signs in the hope that we could know their plan. Anymore, you can't really do that from college and up since most teams are using electronic methods now. Probably only a matter of time until football goes that way too
Reactions: bcvegaspt2

I don't think there will be a drop in QB play this year from last year with either Hajj or Sluka with all the mistakes "he's just a freshman" made. I believe that it's either a wash or an improvement
I agree in general. One thing Maiava had was pretty good arm talent. He also was a bit of a gunslinger for better or worse.

I think both of our newcomers also have pretty good arms, but it is to be seen that they can or are willing to make certain throws that JM did. One critique of Sluka for instance was bailing from the pocket and taking off running perhaps too soon. Who knows what they will look like in this offense though.

It is safe to say that our run game will be more dynamic since both newcomers are easily better runners than JM. Our RB core should be good, probably comparable to last season give or take, but there will be a lot of new faces this season so hard to say until game 1.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT