ADVERTISEMENT

QB

IMO, we'll need both, if not all 3 QB's over the course of the season. When was the last time UNLV was able to keep a QB healthy all season. I really hope we do, but just looking at history, guys will get dinged up and miss some games or at least portions of games.

I'm kind of a lean towards Hajj being the starter at this point, but it's completely a guess.
No. I am not going into this year hoping we need more than 1 QB. If we want to challenge for title and CFP birth, we can't be wishy washy about QB 1 and cant be glad to have "options" because maybe QB1 missed time. I'm absolutely on board with possibly having best OL in conference and them protecting the QB all year so it's not an issue.
I think it'll be Sluka, better arm, just better QB stats. I think they've kept it close to the vest because Sluka wasn't at Spring camp and they didn't want to appear to have made a decision without putting him through paces like they did others In Spring ball. It also keeps Sluka pushing hard to learn playbook, play calling, players, etc. I honestly hope we aren't using Houston as the game to swap guys around to see who performs or gets reps. That's a winnable game vs a Big 12 team that'll look good despite Houston possibly not being good this year and to lose because they wanted to play around with QB would look bad

QB

IMO, we'll need both, if not all 3 QB's over the course of the season. When was the last time UNLV was able to keep a QB healthy all season. I really hope we do, but just looking at history, guys will get dinged up and miss some games or at least portions of games.

I'm kind of a lean towards Hajj being the starter at this point, but it's completely a guess.

Most dangerous Group of Five teams

I did say basketball and Football _ and I did say over the last 40 years - A couple JROB years come to mind & one year we were supposed to have a Heisman candidate as our QB leading us to what was supposed to be a great season, the whole UNLV marketing dept got behind the preseason hype and everything- ......but yeah we don't normally get positive press preseason for football.
JRob has not been at UNLV in over 2 decades, so that does qualify as decades!

What if…

Maybe. But the more success football has, the worse it is for basketball. Extending on the grounds of mediocrity sends a loud signal that basketball doesn’t matter much anymore. maybe that’s the message they want to send?

Lindy showed it, Odom showed it … you don’t need 5 years, you don’t need three years, regardless of your starting point.
I think the better the football team does, the more pressure on the basketball program. If UNLV wants to move into a major conference, then getting the basketball team on track along with football continuing to improve is important to show the value of UNLV on a national level! Another NIT invite would show that coach Kruger has reached his plateau, and I do not believe being in the middle of the MWC is acceptable.

QB

One thing that would make me nervous about Hajj is his game log isn't particularly impressive. He padded his stats the first half of the season against some truly awful and mediocre teams. The last month of the year was less than impressive once the schedule improved to Delaware and Richmond (not exactly powerhouses). Last four games 4 TD's, 5 INT's and no games over 200 yards passing with rushing numbers that aren't especially impressive. That said, I will trust the staff. But he seems pure game manager to me.
Reactions: bcvegaspt2

Houston Coach UNLV Game Press Conference

It's interesting to hear both Coach Odom and Coach Fritz speak about the games. Very similar with quite a bit of emphasis on lead up schedule and eliminating issues that aren't game related. Very different than Arroyo and previous coaches that have been here. It's impressive to hear both of their thought processes going into first games. Their experience and comfort level really stands out when listening to both.

The other interesting item I noticed is that the reporters didn't ask one question about UNLV. Coach mentioned a couple of items, but that seems odd not ask at least a couple of questions about your opponent.

Login to view embedded media

QB

One major reason Sluka chose UNLV (I would say the most important reason) was because we were essentially the only school who supported his desire to stay at Holy Cross last spring to get his degree. It meant a lot to him and most schools said "be here in Spring or don't come." Odom let him stay. DJJ was recruited being told he was the starting PG. Sluka was told, and knew, he would be behind by missing spring. They are not comparable.

It wouldn't blow any relationships if he sat the bench the entire season.

QB

Imagine being an All American and POY finalist at your previous school AND turning down multiple SEC offers to come to mighty UNLV and sit the bench.

Not saying he doesn’t have to earn it but If that happens to Sluka I think it would be a blow for future recruiting relationships.

That would be like DJJ coming in last year and sitting on the bench instead of being the unquestioned PG from day one.

QB

Gotta admit Odom runs a tight ship without any leaked information. Feels like the way Ukraine getting ready to attack in the Kursk region. Nobody knew what was going to happen until it happened. I like it.
Yeah, I was watching the presser yesterday and White and de Jesus were answering questions. One of them was asking if they knew who the QB was week 1. They looked at each other and de Jesus answered with "we don't know, but we are ready regardless who it is." They know.

I do think Sluka would make the most sense week 1, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Hajj. That being said, I change my mind. It will be Sluka.

QB

It definitely does create a situation where we have to ride with whoever the QB! is through at least the first 3 games. You hope they come out sharp game 1, but if they arent, you cant pull him for the other in a game that wont really provide them any challenge. Then you go to a beast of a road game at Kansas... You definitely dont want that to be game 1 for someone but also that point makes it really hard to swap QBs going forward, as the following game is a big conference opener vs Fresno, that you need to win to start conference title hunt.
Reactions: LVRebel2000

QB

The QB and coaching staff know. They’ve announced it, just not to the public. I do wish we had Utah Tech first. Work out the kinks.

Road game at Houston is not completely ideal, but is better than staring @ Kansas.

I think it will be Hajj, with Sluka also getting some run.
Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT