ADVERTISEMENT

We got football this Saturday

4 games!
Check out the spread. Geeesus Reno

I think -25 at home to SMU is better than -13.5 at home to Montana State.

UNM opened at -4.5 and has been bet up to -13.5. Heavens to Betsy!

I can't wait to watch. Bring the games, please. The game I really want to watch week one (apart from UNLV of course) is NDSU at Colorado on 8/29

Is anyone surprised by this?

I don't think there will be a drop in QB play this year from last year with either Hajj or Sluka with all the mistakes "he's just a freshman" made. I believe that it's either a wash or an improvement
That and just the amount of time Marion had to spend on the sideline with Maiava while the defense was in. I believe now, depending on our new QB's, Marion will have an opportunity to focus on the whole offense and not just one player. This will make us better. Just my opinion but, I'm sticking with it.
Reactions: LVRebel2000

ESPN 2024 player sleeper picks - DE Antonio Doyle Jr.

My feeling is they are putting to much respect on Boise State and Fresno State while putting out the QB as a major loss for UNLV. While I do believe Jayden Maiava did a great job as a freshman for UNLV, I also believe that the QB's battle between Hajj-Malik Williams, Matthew Sluka, and Cameron Friel well end up ending with a QB that is far more experienced and better than Jayden Maiava was as a freshman. https://www.fox5vegas.com/video/202...head-coach-close-naming-starting-quarterback/
I read that the starting quarterback will be announced next week.

15 days

I think it’ll be announced during the last week of practices … announcing it instead of a surprise might have a more settling effect.

I’m sure coaches and players have their own ideas with who is leading …. But I honestly don’t think they really know yet.

I’m interested in leash since they are supposedly so close. We don’t know that about Odom/Marion. Maiava was forced in, how long would they have ridden Doug if he wasn’t hurt? We just don’t know the mindset/philosophy of that type situation. Based on the way he’s managed games and the program, I think it’s reasonable to think that he will pick his guy and stick with him until it’s clear the current guy can’t cut it. I don’t think he will platoon it and assess things series by series. I don’t think he will say - game one, down 14-3 at the half with two interceptions, let’s make the switch.

But I could be wrong. That’s one of the things I’m interested in seeing.

Ofc, we all want whoever is picked to hit the ground running, put up big numbers, lead UNLV to victory, no injuries, no controversy …
I hope not, QB’s who play having to worry they will be yanked because of one bad half never play well. I think Odom is too good of a coach for that though I think he platoons or gives them at least some leash meaning a few games unless it is a disaster.
Reactions: 1Tripoda

The dislike of Maiava on here is crazy. I get he abandoned ship but without him I don't see us being where we were last year. Did he struggle and make bad plays at times, yeah he was a freshman, that's kind of expected. Did he over perform, sure, again he was a freshman. Kid obviously had talent or top tier P5 schools wouldn't have come knocking.... legit if he's here right now, we're probably in top 25 preseason and a hands down favorite for CFP.
Losing out to another talented QB with more time in the system doesn't mean "he sucks"... give him a year to push Moss and he either will get his shot or end up at some other big P5 school. Just saying

I could also see him transferring 'down' as well just to get playing time.
Reactions: reagan21

This is why NIL and the portal has made college sports so unrecognizable. “Can’t blame him for leaving for money” I get that, but there is zero penalty now in doing so. I gotta believe at some point there will be at least 2 year deals in place, cause this free agency stuff every year is unsustainable. I wish he was here, I don’t think he ever lands the starting job at SC. So while he made a decent chunk of cash, he isn’t getting meaningful gametime minutes. Idk I’m salty haha, hope it works for him, it finally looked like we were going to have consistency at the QB position and poof he leaves to be a back-up instead.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT