ADVERTISEMENT

You wonder why so many people have stopped reading the RJ?

Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
I stopped buying the RJ a few years ago because I read the sports section on a Saturday during football season and found major stories on BYU football, BSU football, and Nevada Football, as well as numerous other stories about major programs throughout the country. All I found on UNLV football was one minor story buried near the back of the sports section.

Nothing has changed with the RJ and how they do their best to put out one sided stories without doing even a minimum amount of research that a trained monkey could help them with. A story on how UNLV test the loyalty of UNLV football fans is only meant as an attack on UNLV and the football program by spinning the story to fit their agenda. While they mention the increase in the price for the three premium sections, they ignored the fact that season tickets renew purchases (and any additional tickets for season ticket holders) for all other sections have actually been reduced from the price that was paid last year if the purchase was completed early. I purchase my tickets and got a great price and great seats not very far away from those premium seats that the RJ was talking about. If I tried to buy those same seats at a major program, even one with a losing record, I would pay more for one game than I paid for my season tickets.

So for those who do read the RJ, remember they lack in objective writing skills, and seem to have an agenda in favor of BYU.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/john-l-smith/unlv-athletic-department-tests-loyal-football-fans-priority-seating-fees

I will go one step further. Why doesn't the RJ promote the fact that UNLV does their student body a favor and does not charge for season tickets like other schools.Michigan STUDENTS PAY $175.00 for season tickets. Your average season ticket for non students at UNLV is probably around 125-150. The only school in the Big10 that does not charge students for season tickets is I believe Northwestern. USC charges $185.00 dollars.

Mark Anderson does a good job covering the team. He is the beat writer and does not do opinion pieces. He simply reports what he sees. The rest of the group are hacks.

And I agree, I am tired of seeing the story about the kid at BYU or Nevada or SDSU. There are no 'feel good' stories to be written about UNLV players? How about Devante Davis who I think was the first in his family to get a college degree. On top of that a lightly recruited kid that is now a potential NFL draft pick.

I realize it isn't fun to write about a team that doesn't win a lot of games, but the coverage from the RJ and the Sun (if you still consider it a newspaper) is pretty pathetic.

Yeah it popped up in an article, I will double check but they were listed among schools that charge student for season tickets. Nearly every team in the B1G10 conference charges students for season tickets.

That is was kills me about the lack of support from the student body at UNLV. Free bus rides, free tickets etc.

Slightly off topic, also pretty sad lack student support for UNLV baseball. Not showing up for baseball sort of hurts the 'not on campus' argument.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Not on campus argument is and always was weak. Baseball isn't winning, baksetbal isn't winning, football isn't winning. Students aren't showing up for any of them on campus or otherwise
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Unless things have changed, the students actually do actually pay an athletic fee as part of each of their credits that goes towards the athletic department, but it is a lot less than the other schools charge for student tickets.

Baseball had a great season last year, and are 12-11 and still very much in the mix this year. Basketball had posted 20 wins until this year.

Football has been the only program to routinely post losing seasons.

It is nothing compared to what other schools are paying. Plus I think it is buried in their tuition cost right? From what I understand Michigan students have to apply every year for student/season tickets and there are drawings depending on availability.

I moved to Northern Arizona last May having lived in Vegas for 54 of my 65 years My Dad was a Sun reader and I naturally became one (Hank Greenspun was a hreat newspaper man). When the Sun shut down it's print ahop I tried the RJ, obviously Shelly was not the owner at the time, it news was slanted even in those days, albeit readable. I dropped it after 2 years. I've been an online Sun reader to this day. I would only buy a Shelly owned RJ to wipe my a** of start a fire. I detest extreme politics in any form, be it Soros, Koch brothers, Shelly or others of their ilk. I have my Shelly stories, but rhis is not a proper forum to relate them. This is the last somewhat political post from me. Back to sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT