ADVERTISEMENT

Will the future of the Pac-12 name really mean that much?

NO : For how many years have Rebel fans been thinking that some kinda confernce affiliation is going to bring us back to national prominence ?? pretty much for over 20 years. LIsten we are in a great confernce - we might try winning it for once - thats how you raise the statue of your program - You guys thinking that joining a better confernce is going to save us - You are sadly mistaken- We could join the best conference in the country - it just means we will finish in last place instead of middle of the pack.

NO : For how many years have Rebel fans been thinking that some kinda confernce affiliation is going to bring us back to national prominence ?? pretty much for over 20 years. LIsten we are in a great confernce - we might try winning it for once - thats how you raise the statue of your program - You guys thinking that joining a better confernce is going to save us - You are sadly mistaken- We could join the best conference in the country - it just means we will finish in last place instead of middle of the pack.
What Gloria is looking at is just getting us more money so we can stay competitive with the other G5 conferences. As for higher conferences I don't think we are currently on anyone's radar.

You realize joining a better Conference isn't about saving us on a performance basis right?
Finishing at the bottom of the SEC still provides you with an astronomical payout at the end of the day. That's what switching conferences is about... $$$, not "saving" UNLV from mediocre basketball or football

F U., I would love to be the bottom feeder in the SEC west.

F U., I would love to be the bottom feeder in the SEC west.
While I'm sure that this post is tongue in cheek, what is the reason for wanting to be in a P4 conference? To get more money to be more competitive. So being a bottom feeder with more money accomplishes pretty much, well, nothing.

Reactions: rebelwithacause
While I'm sure that this post is tongue in cheek, what is the reason for wanting to be in a P4 conference? To get more money to be more competitive. So being a bottom feeder with more money accomplishes pretty much, well, nothing.
I think it means that even bottom feeders are relevant in P4 conferences and get $$ that is necessary to turn that mediocrity into something bigger. I mean look at KU football... They have had 4 years of good football in like 40 years(and only 2 in past 15) and they turned bottom feeder into a potential Big 12 power and parlayed that into a billion dollar stadium district investment on campus all because they remained relevant enough to afford good coaching and facilities.... and P4 basketball programs can go from bad to good overnight with the right coaching hire... Even more so now with NIL funds

Yup..and you were a bottom feeder for the Pac 12 for years…

Wasting your time with that one.

You know this article is 2 years old.
Yes. And I think the prediction will come true. At least close. The end result will be 4 power conferences with two of them ( SEC/Big 10) being super conferences. They will suck the vast amount of $$ out of sports and teams on the outs will be afterthoughts. The NCAA will either not exist or simply do their bidding. You will either be In or Out. Next year the Big 10 will have 18 teams, ACC 17 teams, Big 12 16 teams and SEC 16 Teams. There is no way the three conferences other than the Big 10 will allow them to have 18 teams alone. I believe the limit is 20 because you want OOC games for National exposure and it's easy to split the Conference into two divisions. Every team on the outs MUST throw all caution away and bet it all on getting into one of the Conferences. Any team that doesn't will have to reimagine their athletic department on a much smaller scale.

Last edited:
I'm even more contrarian than you on this issue. Why add Washington State? (Sorry, loyal coug)

They are going to develop into the equivalent of Wyoming/New Mexico in 3-4 years. If we are thinking long-term, they may not be a solution to 'more eyeballs.'

I don't disagree with changing the MWC to another name in order to raise revenue and put BSU on a level playing ground again. Just call the conference the "MGM Grands." No number, no region, no limitations. Hell, it doesn't even call itself a conference.

Allstate 12 sounds like a Bud Light exec came up with that (in terms of not reading your audience).
I agree that there will be a notable drop off after being left out with the PAC explosion. We have seen some of that already.

But they are NOT going to turn into UNM and Wyoming.

Why? Let's look at their state population.

Wyoming: 580k
New Mexico 2.1 million

Washington 7.78 mil
Oregon 4.24 mil

This alone is why they are a good add for TV contract negotiations. It doesn't matter if you are in a small town if you are the second major state school for state's with a decent population. They arguably bring more eyeballs than any existing school in the MW.

They do have better fan bases than most, if not all MW schools and have arguably more potential to succeed within a merger than perhaps any individual team in the current MW.

Population doesn't mean everything, but there aren't many larger state schools that aren't at least at a good mid major level.

I agree that there will be a notable drop off after being left out with the PAC explosion. We have seen some of that already.

But they are NOT going to turn into UNM and Wyoming.

Why? Let's look at their state population.

Wyoming: 580k
New Mexico 2.1 million

Washington 7.78 mil
Oregon 4.24 mil

This alone is why they are a good add for TV contract negotiations. It doesn't matter if you are in a small town if you are the second major state school for state's with a decent population. They arguably bring more eyeballs than any existing school in the MW.

They do have better fan bases than most, if not all MW schools and have arguably more potential to succeed within a merger than perhaps any individual team in the current MW.

Population doesn't mean everything, but there aren't many larger state schools that aren't at least at a good mid major level.
Based on state population, that would put San Diego State (39 Million), Fresno State, San Jose State with the biggest eyeball state and Colorado State (6 million), Air Force in between those two states. The question is how many of those eyeball will the media believe will watch the games to determine fees? No doubt they are better off than many of the schools in the MWC, but UNLV and SDSU are both located in large single city markets (no other D1 schools), and most likely have the most potential of all the MWC schools

Reactions: LVRebel2000
WSU gets alot of Eyes in Seattle. Between the Cougs that live in the area and UW fans who have interest in WSU win or lose, theres a lot of TVs and eye balls and not many other schools that they share with...
MUst be a regional thing - Ive never heard of Washington State - except thats where Ryan Leaf went to College and I know they are in the Pac 12- thats all I know about them

WSU gets alot of Eyes in Seattle. Between the Cougs that live in the area and UW fans who have interest in WSU win or lose, theres a lot of TVs and eye balls and not many other schools that they share with...
Thanks. And Spokane (75 miles away with lots of Cougs) has a metro area of 593,000. Which doesn't count the Tri-Cities (home of one of our branch campuses and 130 miles away) with a metro area of 311,000. Plus all the smaller towns in between.

The issue is they compete with the University of Washington which is year in and year out a top program and finished 2nd in the nation in 2023. They also compete with Gonzaga which is a top 10 basketball program year in and year out for decades!

MUst be a regional thing - Ive never heard of Washington State - except thats where Ryan Leaf went to College and I know they are in the Pac 12- thats all I know about them
Apparently you've never heard of College Gameday either........

I can't find a video clip, but Rece Davis's opening words to the crowd were "Holy Shit Pullman!"

Even more fun....

Last edited:
Based on state population, that would put San Diego State (39 Million), Fresno State, San Jose State with the biggest eyeball state and Colorado State (6 million), Air Force in between those two states. The question is how many of those eyeball will the media believe will watch the games to determine fees? No doubt they are better off than many of the schools in the MWC, but UNLV and SDSU are both located in large single city markets (no other D1 schools), and most likely have the most potential of all the MWC schools
Form our own conference

The Desert Regional Conference..

UNLV
Utah Tech
Grand Canyon University
University of Phoenix
Barstow State

E
Exactly..

I can't find a video clip, but Rece Davis's opening words to the crowd were "Holy Shit Pullman!"

Even more fun....

cant wait to see your team get admitted to the Big Sky..

Form our own conference

The Desert Regional Conference..

UNLV
Utah Tech
Grand Canyon University
University of Phoenix
Barstow State

E

Exactly..

cant wait to see your team get admitted to the Big Sky..
Heh heh. You are a bitter little thing aren't you? I'm not. I'm proud of my alma mater.

True, but SDSU is not the second most popular school in the State. It may be the arguable the third most popular state school, but Cali has 26 state schools, and it is UCLA, Cal then everyone else.

California has a ridiculous population, but in terms of eyeballs? I doubt that SDSU or Fresno captures as much as OSU or WAZZU. Just because of the amount of schools, not to mention big time athletic private schools like USC and Stanford. I didn't look at some of the stats that Coug referenced, but I got the impression that the two leftovers had significantly better ratings than any MW school. Sure it will drop being out of the PAC, but I don't think all of those people and alumni are just going to give up on these programs just like that.

Washington has 6 state schools, Oregon as 7. But both of these leftover PAC schools are easily the #2 school in their state and it isn't even close.

Even more fun....

And here, I thought, the Greatest Day in Pullman was going to link to the 2016 drubbing of the Vandals!

Ouch, Idaho!

And here, I thought, the Greatest Day in Pullman was going to link to the 2016 drubbing of the Vandals!

Ouch, Idaho!
I think we are scheduled to play them again in 2025. In fairness, I was in the stands when they beat us in 1999 and 2000.

Related, another reason to do the reverse merger, and for WSU and the other MW schools to stop scheduling D-1AA schools and play only D1 schools, to heighten our SOS's, make more money and vie for CFP appearances. If we can't beat them, then we don't deserve consideration. Playing Idaho and Utah Tech does nothing for us in this regard.

True, but SDSU is not the second most popular school in the State. It may be the arguable the third most popular state school, but Cali has 26 state schools, and it is UCLA, Cal then everyone else.

California has a ridiculous population, but in terms of eyeballs? I doubt that SDSU or Fresno captures as much as OSU or WAZZU. Just because of the amount of schools, not to mention big time athletic private schools like USC and Stanford. I didn't look at some of the stats that Coug referenced, but I got the impression that the two leftovers had significantly better ratings than any MW school. Sure it will drop being out of the PAC, but I don't think all of those people and alumni are just going to give up on these programs just like that.

Washington has 6 state schools, Oregon as 7. But both of these leftover PAC schools are easily the #2 school in their state and it isn't even close.
In comparison (2022 5 year time period) in Washington and Oregon the University of Washington was 22nd over the last 5 years and currently averages over 60K per game Oregon over 5 years was 37th and averages over 55K per game. Oregon State was 69th and averages over 28K and Washington State was 77th and averages over 26K. My expectation is that most of the fans in Washington follow the U of Washington, and most of the fans in Oregon follow the U of Oregon, which is why those two schools are moving to major conferences. Both of those schools are #2 in the state because there is no #3 school to compare to with the exception of Gonzaga in basketball.

I am not sure how Stanford would be considered a big time athletic program considering they can't even get 30K to come to a game and have had an average of 3.6 wins per season over the last 5 years. As for California having 26 schools, only 11 of those programs play division 1 football. California has 5 times the population of Washington and 10 times that of Oregon. SDSU doesn't need to be the second most popular football program in California considering the difference in the population. Even if they are the 5th most popular program in California, that still would put them at the top of the MWC, and they are the only D1 football program in San Diego with a population of over 3.3 million.

As for significantly better ratings for Washington State and Oregon State, of course they do, it is much easier to get people to watch Pac12 games than MWC games, the change is that the Pac12 is now the Pac2, and they will be playing a MWC schedule without the TV coverage that the Pac12 had before.

In comparison (2022 5 year time period) in Washington and Oregon the University of Washington was 22nd over the last 5 years and currently averages over 60K per game Oregon over 5 years was 37th and averages over 55K per game. Oregon State was 69th and averages over 28K and Washington State was 77th and averages over 26K. My expectation is that most of the fans in Washington follow the U of Washington, and most of the fans in Oregon follow the U of Oregon, which is why those two schools are moving to major conferences. Both of those schools are #2 in the state because there is no #3 school to compare to with the exception of Gonzaga in basketball.

I am not sure how Stanford would be considered a big time athletic program considering they can't even get 30K to come to a game and have had an average of 3.6 wins per season over the last 5 years. As for California having 26 schools, only 11 of those programs play division 1 football. California has 5 times the population of Washington and 10 times that of Oregon. SDSU doesn't need to be the second most popular football program in California considering the difference in the population. Even if they are the 5th most popular program in California, that still would put them at the top of the MWC, and they are the only D1 football program in San Diego with a population of over 3.3 million.

As for significantly better ratings for Washington State and Oregon State, of course they do, it is much easier to get people to watch Pac12 games than MWC games, the change is that the Pac12 is now the Pac2, and they will be playing a MWC schedule without the TV coverage that the Pac12 had before.
Not sure where you are going with this? If you are saying that WSU and OSU are not as desirable as they appear, I agree and so does the P4. If you are saying that we suck and wouldn't be good for the MW, well then I would have to disagree.

Related, I asked a similar Q recently here. Most of my idiot Coug brethren think that the MW will wait around for the next 2 years and embrace the Pac-2 if our fantasy P4 aspirations don't pan out (they won't). Curious to hear what you all think about that? Since the MW board is apparently defunct, I got no one else to ask over yonder.

Last edited:

Fair points, and I started all of this just to counter the idea that WAZZU and OSU would fall into obscurity and turn into UNM and WYO.

Home attendance matters, but so do eyeballs which drive TV numbers.

Last season OSU was the 4th ranked PAC school in ratings, Wazzu was 6th. Not exactly bottom of the barrel.

OSU 20th overall, WAZZU 43rd overall

MW teams: CSU 51st ( CU game pulling most of that weight), BSU 75th, UNLV 80th ( Michigan doing a lot of lifting), FSU 84th, SDSU 86th.

Not sure where you are going with this? If you are saying that WSU and OSU are not as desirable as they appear, I agree and so does the P4. If you are saying that we suck and wouldn't be good for the MW, well then I would have to disagree.

Related, I asked a similar Q recently here. Most of my idiot Coug brethren think that the MW will wait around for the next 2 years and embrace the Pac-2 if our fantasy P4 aspirations don't pan out (they won't). Curious to hear what you all think about that? Since the MW board is apparently defunct, I got no one else to ask over yonder.
I am saying that your programs fit right in with the MWC overall. I would say that SDSU most likely has the most future potential based on location and size of city, with UNLV in a very similar situation to SDSU. The big difference is UNLV has had a grand total of one good season in football over the last decade compared to SDSU which based on play would be the 2nd or 3rd best team in California. UNLV has a lot of potential, but more than a single good season is needed.

Fair points, and I started all of this just to counter the idea that WAZZU and OSU would fall into obscurity and turn into UNM and WYO.

Home attendance matters, but so do eyeballs which drive TV numbers.

Last season OSU was the 4th ranked PAC school in ratings, Wazzu was 6th. Not exactly bottom of the barrel.

OSU 20th overall, WAZZU 43rd overall

MW teams: CSU 51st ( CU game pulling most of that weight), BSU 75th, UNLV 80th ( Michigan doing a lot of lifting), FSU 84th, SDSU 86th.

The Michigan game did a lot for UNLV, but the same is true for the Washington verse Washington State game and Oregon verse Oregon State game which both made up a very large portion of the two schools viewership. If they want to keep eyeballs on their two programs, then they must keep the in state rivalry games.

I hope that things go that way, and I think the entire MWC going in would be the best way to move forward. I also have huge respect for Harvey Hyde all the way back to when he coached UNLV.

He’s a good friend of mine. I’m glad he’s still doing so well. He walks a lot and lifts weights. Has so much football knowledge.

He’s a good friend of mine. I’m glad he’s still doing so well. He walks a lot and lifts weights. Has so much football knowledge.
Can you set him up to do a video interview. I would love to hear his story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT