ADVERTISEMENT

WE HAVE A CONFERENCE NOW...

And now the mighty Pac 12 will be forced to pay exit and schedule fees leaving them depleted and eventually be forced to compromise on their lofty metrics to bring in an 8th member

I'm still trying to figure out how they can pull Memphis.

Seriously unless they somehow can get to at least 12 million and pay the majority if not all of Memphis' exit fee I don't see how the math shakes out for Memphis.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Seriously unless they somehow can get to at least 12 million and pay the majority if not all of Memphis' exit fee I don't see how the math shakes out for Memphis.
I’ve run the scenarios, and I just can’t make the finances work in Memphis’ favor. I don’t think their AD can hang his hat on joining the Pac being good for Memphis. If I were him, its big 12 or bust.

Last edited:
I’ve running the scenarios, and I just can’t make the finances work in Memphis’ favor. I don’t think their AD can hang his hat on joining the Pac being good for Memphis. If I were him, its big 12 or bust.

Big12 or the 18th spot in ACC. Without a minimum of 12 million to cover travel costs I can't see how it works out. I think their exit fees are like 20 million plus. So even if PAC covered half it would take three years to just recoup remainder of exit fees.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Big12 or the 18th spot in ACC.
With $220m committed in renovations, and a $750k loss in ticket revenue; it makes no sense.

Who in their right mind would say, “yeah, lets eat a $27.5m exit fee for a conference where we go from $8m to potentially $7-10m. On top of that now I also need to go find 5 OOC games a year.”

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Would playing in the PAC make them more appealing than playing in the AAC? I don't know the answer to that but sometimes you have to look at the long game. Look at us. Playing in the MWC won't look as good in two years but we are looking towards the future.

I’ve running the scenarios, and I just can’t make the finances work in Memphis’ favor. I don’t think their AD can hang his hat on joining the Pac being good for Memphis. If I were him, its big 12 or bust.
I don’t want to jinx it by saying anything, because I don’t want anything positive to happen for those f***ers, but yeah, I can’t see it making sense for Memphis, especially without at least one other team.

They may be in one of the best spots in all of college sports to get an upgrade to an AQ conference right now. Is it a guarantee? No. But I don’t see a move necessarily helping achieve that goal.

I KNOW the PAC likes to think it’s creating a juggernaut, but they’re not. Even if they build what might be considered “the top G5”, that’s not a guarantee of what that would even mean in any given season.

I bet Memphis is a Pac7.56 member by the end of the month. Just a thought

I liked Hawaii as football only but this was a necessity with the options on the table. I’m glad to see the terms of the agreement are good for Hawaii too. They’re doing the MWC a solid by coming in now and not forcing the MW to rush out and make a bad invite.

We need another full member or two but now we can wait a year or two if needed. It also puts the football only option in play with eastern schools.

The Hawaii deal makes a lot of sense, but they arent without issues.. The sensible part is the Media $$$ potential adding Hawaii as a market. Not sure how quantifiable that is but its definitely a contributing factor along with now we have a functional conference to work with and can go out and selectively choose who else we want to join, and it didnt cost us anything except a few non-football exit fees.

Well Memphis probably needs at least 1 travel partner, and it would be in their favor for at least a second school join them if they were to move to the PAC

It likely would not be 27.5 million, at least not with a second school. Again the Big 12 4 all left for 18 mil, and that was with more value of the contract left dangling. Remaining contract value seems to be the biggest determinant of exit fee negotiations. There is a good chance that they can negotiate down their exit fees to below that. Who knows how low, but let's say 12 million. pay that over 3 or 4 years (again that is what the Big 12 AAC teams are doing) then it becomes a bit more palatable. If the PAC agrees on paying half of that ( apparently they offered UNLV 6 million), then it becomes even that much more doable.

I bet Memphis is a Pac7.56 member by the end of the month. Just a thought
At this point, it's the only thing that would save the PAC from truly seperating itself from the MWC financially. Memphis will have all the bargaining chips and a travel partner would have to be included. One that Memphis would probably dictate. Knowing this would almost deplete all their former PAC12 monies, I'm for this move. It may also open up a few AAC teams for us. Officially guaranteeing us the 2nd best G5 conference. We'll see how it plays out. It'll be interesting.

Well Memphis probably needs at least 1 travel partner, and it would be in their favor for at least a second school join them if they were to move to the PAC

It likely would not be 27.5 million, at least not with a second school. Again the Big 12 4 all left for 18 mil, and that was with more value of the contract left dangling. Remaining contract value seems to be the biggest determinant of exit fee negotiations. There is a good chance that they can negotiate down their exit fees to below that. Who knows how low, but let's say 12 million. pay that over 3 or 4 years (again that is what the Big 12 AAC teams are doing) then it becomes a bit more palatable. If the PAC agrees on paying half of that ( apparently they offered UNLV 6 million), then it becomes even that much more doable.
But the biggest question and I think Memphis already answered is that they dont want to be locked into the Pac 12. They are in a similar position from aspirations as we are.. They want Big 12 or ACC invite and getting stuck into the Pac 12 invite probably dashes that. Then you add in the schedule, the travel, and the supposed level of competition, ADs and coaches might be hesitant to pull any triggers. We all look at it like "Why wouldn't I want to play against a tougher level of competition" but I think there's some aspect to playing in a conference like the AAC or MWC and winning/competing for conference titles against some lower level competition and visually appearing more attractive to those P4 conferences.

I don’t want to jinx it by saying anything, because I don’t want anything positive to happen for those f***ers, but yeah, I can’t see it making sense for Memphis, especially without at least one other team.

They may be in one of the best spots in all of college sports to get an upgrade to an AQ conference right now. Is it a guarantee? No. But I don’t see a move necessarily helping achieve that goal.

I KNOW the PAC likes to think it’s creating a juggernaut, but they’re not. Even if they build what might be considered “the top G5”, that’s not a guarantee of what that would even mean in any given season.

Oh PAC Twitter is pretty funny right now.

After weeks of dumping on MWC teams as 'not meeting the metrics, not up to the standard, we're basically a pseudo P5 conference, we dont want any dead weight, etc' the amount of crying about Chode's PAC Who comment and how classless it was is glorious.

But the biggest question and I think Memphis already answered is that they dont want to be locked into the Pac 12. They are in a similar position from aspirations as we are.. They want Big 12 or ACC invite and getting stuck into the Pac 12 invite probably dashes that. Then you add in the schedule, the travel, and the supposed level of competition, ADs and coaches might be hesitant to pull any triggers. We all look at it like "Why wouldn't I want to play against a tougher level of competition" but I think there's some aspect to playing in a conference like the AAC or MWC and winning/competing for conference titles against some lower level competition and visually appearing more attractive to those P4 conferences.
I agree that Memphis will be hesitant because of what you just said. They are probably in pole position of G5 teams ready to be upgraded to P4 status.

I am guessing that are in contact at least unofficially with the ACC and Big 12, just like I think we are with at least the Big 12. I am sure they won't jump to the PAC, unless they think their prospects on being upgraded are not good in the upcoming years.

Which would be both good and bad for us. We would become first on deck, but if Memphis ain't getting in, our prospects are probably worse.

I think Gloria is gonna win the pissing contest and the PAC (not quite a conference) will come crawling on their hands and knees begging forgiveness for not reverse merging initially. We could then have 2 very nice divisions with great conference championship games. JMHI & hope.

Memphis is the same sister school as UNLV.

Exact same history as UNLV.
Got a really good HOF coach in basketball, had a lot of success, mediocre since. football historically mediocre, made a good hire, had some really decent years, invested in their program, hoping it pays off eventually.. yeah, very similar.

I think Gloria is gonna win the pissing contest and the PAC (not quite a conference) will come crawling on their hands and knees begging forgiveness for not reverse merging initially. We could then have 2 very nice divisions with great conference championship games. JMHI & hope.
Every school is looking out for themselves. I don’t see it as “disloyal” to other teams in a conference or the conference as a whole. Every team is reaching for the most stability. Some teams, see UNR for example, just hope things fall their way after the dust settles because they have zero bargaining power.

Got a really good HOF coach in basketball, had a lot of success, mediocre since. football historically mediocre, made a good hire, had some really decent years, invested in their program, hoping it pays off eventually.. yeah, very similar.
Even their spineless university didn’t put up a fight against the evil NCAA.

Dana Kirk had a higher winning percentage than Tark at one time.

I have to say, Memphis State was the first sports team that I ever followed when I lived in Tennessee. Everyone got the fever in 1984.

Gloria, clearly out maneuvered the PAC.

Gloria, clearly out maneuvered the PAC.
Meh kind of a stalemate right now.
End of the day, the PAC will have a better top to bottom conference and will be making more per year easily.
Sure we ruined their plans by saying no. And they are in limbo.
But by adding UTEP and Hawaii, two schools that the PAC had zero interest in isn't exactly a huge win. Also we offered Texas State, the PAC simply showed interest and Texas State said no to us. Then the PAC didn't offer Texas State. Sounds like they are outmaneuvering us.

We do have a conference and they don't, this is true. But there is plenty of time to get that settled.

Meh kind of a stalemate right now.
End of the day, the PAC will have a better top to bottom conference and will be making more per year easily.
Sure we ruined their plans by saying no. And they are in limbo.
But by adding UTEP and Hawaii, two schools that the PAC had zero interest in isn't exactly a huge win. Also we offered Texas State, the PAC simply showed interest and Texas State said no to us. Then the PAC didn't offer Texas State. Sounds like they are outmaneuvering us.

We do have a conference and they don't, this is true. But there is plenty of time to get that settled.
I don’t think there was any chess being played here, lol. There were no sharks.

Gloria had nothing to work with and nothing to offer anyone to join the MW until she got the PAC 2 to willing give her millions of dollars. Now we do have a conference and the PAC doesn't & they seemingly dont have enough resources left to bring in any quality schools. To make it work now they may need to give the lion's share of tv revenue to any attractive prospective schools ala MW to keep Boise a few years back.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Rebel702
I don’t think there was any chess being played here, lol. There were no sharks.
They punched us in the balls when we weren't looking. The initial pain is gone, and we gave them a few verbal zingers. And their feelings are a little hurt

But it is very possible we are impotent now

They punched us in the balls when we weren't looking. The initial pain is gone, and we gave them a few verbal zingers. And their feelings are a little hurt

But it is very possible we are impotent now
I don’t think there’s been some master plan. Just action and reaction, repeat. I think real leadership, in the case of conference realignment, is proactive, prepared and steadfast. Not reactionary. Same can be said about the sports programs. The same can be said with game planning.

There was a master plan in place. The plan by the PAC2 was to raid and blow up the MWC, instead of a reverse merger. They failed! The MWC is still intact. Also, the PAC was clearly outmaneuvered and who else is available? Sac State or Tx State?

I don’t think there’s been some master plan. Just action and reaction, repeat. I think real leadership, in the case of conference realignment, is proactive, prepared and steadfast. Not reactionary. Same can be said about the sports programs. The same can be said with game planning.
We they had a master plan that failed. What they did not anticipate is us saying no to them.

They are scrambling now because they didn't have a plan C. But they did have a plan.

We are just reacting and doing our best.

We they had a master plan that failed. What they did not anticipate is us saying no to them.

They are scrambling now because they didn't have a plan C. But they did have a plan.

We are just reacting and doing our best.
I think we quickly formed a new plan...
We were probably half a day away from committing to the Pac 12. Giving our administration entirely too much credit, but they decided to push pause, and go "what will best suit UNLV in the next 5 years to join a P4"...
Then we called Gloria and said we were willing to stay but we needed a higher percentage payout than the other schools and we wanted a higher signing bonus to be distributed. That plan gave us the best competitive advantage to win the conference year in and year out building the brand in Las Vegas.
now you could argue that plan sucks, wed rather play Boise and WSU every year, but we arent, but we are going to have a real financial advantage over our conference peers and that hasnt been the case.

Reactions: oneepstein
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT