ADVERTISEMENT

WE HAVE A CONFERENCE NOW...

This is a post from a guy on the Wazzu board. I'm not sure if it's accurate on the $4/viewer thing, but it feels like a somewhat reasonable number to me.

We (Wazzu) are going to consistently get about 400K in viewers. The rule of thumb I've read is about $4/viewer (yes ad revenue doesn't work that way). So if we have 6 home games to sell at $1.6M, expect about $9.6M in media revenue. Add a little bit more for basketball and I see us coming in around $10M annually for media personally.

I think we should seriously look at bringing the Pac-12 network back. If ran correctly, and efficiently, the "subs" would provide both additional TV exposure but some level of added revenue.
If those numbers are true, then it means they will be nowhere near $10 million since the other schools will have far lower viewership numbers, thus dragging that number down by several million. Then they are most likely looking at a number around $8 million or less overall per team in the PAC. Sucks considering all the debt Washington State and Oregon State carry, as well as all the payments due to the MWC from the PAC and the individual schools that left the MWC. Another bonus for UNLV to beat Oregon State is to help lower those numbers even more. If UNLV can beat Oregon State, and then beat BSU both in the home game and in the MWC championship game, that could be another nail in the coffin of the media deal for the PAC. The closer the media deal gets pushed to $8 million or less, the more fighting will occur within the PAC membership. I wonder how Utah State is feeling now?

If those numbers are true, then it means they will be nowhere near $10 million since the other schools will have far lower viewership numbers, thus dragging that number down by several million. Then they are most likely looking at a number around $8 million or less overall per team in the PAC. Sucks considering all the debt Washington State and Oregon State carry, as well as all the payments due to the MWC from the PAC and the individual schools that left the MWC. Another bonus for UNLV to beat Oregon State is to help lower those numbers even more. If UNLV can beat Oregon State, and then beat BSU both in the home game and in the MWC championship game, that could be another nail in the coffin of the media deal for the PAC. The closer the media deal gets pushed to $8 million or less, the more fighting will occur within the PAC membership. I wonder how Utah State is feeling now?
Yeah, it feels low to me, but I was just passing on what was shared on their Wazzu board. If Wazzu and OSU are only in the $10 million range, they're definitely not getting a deal higher than that. But if their value is closer to 20 or 30 million, then they could definitely get more.

Reactions: bcvegaspt2
This is a post from a guy on the Wazzu board. I'm not sure if it's accurate on the $4/viewer thing, but it feels like a somewhat reasonable (but low) number to me.

We (Wazzu) are going to consistently get about 400K in viewers. The rule of thumb I've read is about $4/viewer (yes ad revenue doesn't work that way). So if we have 6 home games to sell at $1.6M, expect about $9.6M in media revenue. Add a little bit more for basketball and I see us coming in around $10M annually for media personally.

I think we should seriously look at bringing the Pac-12 network back. If ran correctly, and efficiently, the "subs" would provide both additional TV exposure but some level of added revenue.
I wonder what the Wazzu person is smoking.

Yes, build a network. Yes, have a subscription model. Put in the hardwork to build a streaming service. Its doable. I’ve done it professionally for a big media company.

All of that is absolutely doable. But now make money. That’s a different beast. If it was easy, we would have figured it out at CBS interactive, and Paramount plus. We didn’t, and we had a mountain of content.

Let me ask you this.

PAC could at any moment add a NMSU or whoever to get to eight. NMSU or pretty much any CUSA school would jump ship. CUSA media deal is under a million so anything is better.

What I'm getting at is this, after the PAC finishes their media valuation (How the hell had they not done this already?) what is the minimum number that makes rebuilding the PAC even viable/sustainable?

I think Boise with their sweetheart deal was around 7 million? Vs rest of conference around 5.

WSU is in serious debt (100m) OSU debt is double UNLVs. They were operating on 20 million budget before.

I don't know, I mean maybe with current lineup PAC can get to 8m per school? If the conferences were to merge plus addition of El Paso market, Gonzaga basketball, and Hawaii full membership (helps media deal) could a merged MWC/PAC pull close to 10?

I dont think a merger is likely possible now but I wonder if there is a doomsday point for the PAC where they say this isn't gonna work..
Oh I agree fully. I think their valuation isn't going to be where they thought it was. I think they're going to come out of those conversations and needing to be rather aggressive to getting that 8th market and its going to be who their new media partner suggests. On the whole, the merger isnt likely. Too many promises to different programs that would have to get worked out.. Like WSU/OSU want to keep their Pac 2 dollars, do they still pay the 120 million owned to the MWC for screwing things up? How about UNLV.. do we still get our bonuses? Then what about the Pac 2 agreements with the other 5 programs, does the revenue sharing structure for NCAA credits come as part of the merger, if not, there will certainly be someone left behind that doesnt want to hand over their piece of the pie and then it gets real messy, does the exit fee the new Pac 12 agreement has come into play, etc... What's more likely is they are either forced to add either a program they dont really want, or lose a good chunk of their operating cash that some of the current schools didnt want to lose in the first place.

The Presidents of OSU and WSU are desperate. In their minds they already spent the $ 20 million they were getting ( and feel they deserve in perpetuity) and will do anything, grasp at any straw to get as close to that as possible. Realism doesn't have a place in their calculations. What happens to other programs is completely irrelevant. It will take loads of time for them to accept the fact that they are no longer one of the cool kids. Their daddy is no longer buying them a new Tesla but a used civic and they can't stand it.

Yeah, it feels low to me, but I was just passing on what was shared on their Wazzu board. If Wazzu and OSU are only in the $10 million range, they're definitely not getting a deal higher than that. But if their value is closer to 20 or 30 million, then they could definitely get more.
There is no way that Washington State or Oregon State are anywhere close to 30 million let alone even 20 million each. In 2022 the PAC12 offer was a little under $30 million per school with school like Oregon, UCLA, USC, etc. who are worth 10 times those school value in regards to media contracts.

There is no way that Washington State or Oregon State are anywhere close to 30 million let alone even 20 million each. In 2022 the PAC12 offer was a little under $30 million per school with school like Oregon, UCLA, USC, etc. who are worth 10 times those school value in regards to media contracts.
Who knows but maybe the Pac12 could have made $35 - $40 million if they didn't have OSU and WSU dragging them down.

I wouldn't say 10x OSU/WSU worth, but it could easily be 3-5x. What's crazy is that in terms of TV viewership, Colorado consistently gets the highest numbers, which is surprising to me. I know they have the Denver market, but I think they get quite a boost just with Deion being there. I'd be curious to see their viewership for the years before he arrived.

Reactions: RebelinWA
I wouldn't say 10x OSU/WSU worth, but it could easily be 3-5x. What's crazy is that in terms of TV viewership, Colorado consistently gets the highest numbers, which is surprising to me. I know they have the Denver market, but I think they get quite a boost just with Deion being there. I'd be curious to see their viewership for the years before he arrived.
I am curious to see how the CW numbers are for the UNLV v Oregon State game in order to compare those numbers to viewership of other games involving Washington State and Oregon State on the CW.

From what I can see, it doesn't look like there is a large difference from top to bottom with teams that play on the CW, which tells me there are a lot of casual fans that are not specific to any team.

The lowest number was Washington State v Portland 223K
The highest number was CSU v Oregon State 568K
The average number for all games with or without Washington State and Oregon State was 430K
The average for Oregon State was 467K
The average for Washington State was 382K

A good comparison will be how does the viewership number for the UNLV v Oregon State game on the CW look compared to the 568K that watch CSU v Oregon State.

I am curious to see how the CW numbers are for the UNLV v Oregon State game in order to compare those numbers to viewership of other games involving Washington State and Oregon State on the CW.

From what I can see, it doesn't look like there is a large difference from top to bottom with teams that play on the CW, which tells me there are a lot of casual fans that are not specific to any team.

The average number for all games with or without Washington State and Oregon State was 430K

A good comparison will be how does the viewership number for the UNLV v Oregon State game on the CW look compared to the 568K that watch CSU v Oregon State.
Hopefully we'll get a bunch of Boise fans tuning in to that game since they play UNLV next week and Oregon State at the end of the season.

Reactions: RebelinWA

Additional good comparison will be WSU vs Hawaii on The CW at 12:30. Although I would expect the UNLV/OSU clash will get better ratings due to the later and lesser clogged 7PM start time.

Also, in the above comparison you did not mention that SJSU/WSU drew 542K on The CW, just under the CSU/OSU game.

Edit - yeah WSU/Hawaii will have a bit more competition for eyeballs at 12:30. OSU/UNLV not so much (only Utah/TCU).

Oh and I see your lusted-after Toledo/NIU will be one of 8 games at 12:30 on ESPN+. As well as Pac-mentioned candidates Tulane, UTSA and Texas State (also MW mentioned). $5 sez all those games put together have less eyeballs than either of ours.

Last edited:
Additional good comparison will be WSU vs Hawaii on The CW at 12:30. Although I would expect the UNLV/OSU clash will get better ratings due to the later and lesser clogged 7PM start time.

Also, in the above comparison you did not mention that SJSU/WSU drew 542K on The CW, just under the CSU/OSU game.
You planning on watching the OSU/UNLV game? Or will the WSU/Hawaii game have taken its toll on you from earlier in the day?

1986 - I don't go out of my way to correct your posts, but I will here.

In 2022 ESPN offered the Pac around $30M. This was AFTER FUSC and FUCLA had announced their pending departure. The stupid PAC, thanks to a dipshit Utah professor and their President, talked the PAC into believing we were worth $50M. So we sought to negotiate. ESPN said F you very much, waved goodbye, and offered basically the same deal to the Big-12, who jumped on it.

The shit $20-some M deal that was brought forth to the soon-to be PAC-10 by Apple was what caused the rest of the Traitors to bolt. Including Utah, who was the reason for the ESPN F-up. Of course, they are now in the Big-12 getting the same $30M they scoffed at previously.

You planning on watching the OSU/UNLV game? Or will the WSU/Hawaii game have taken its toll on you from earlier in the day?
Hell yeah I will be watching. Might have to take a little nap between games. I usually don't start drinking at 12:30. I'm kind of torn over who to root for. Should be my Pac brethren OSU, but they are kind of pissing me off these days, and I've grown rather fond of UN-Southern. :)

Hell yeah I will be watching. Might have to take a little nap between games. I usually don't start drinking at 12:30. I'm kind of torn over who to root for. Should be my Pac brethren OSU, but they are kind of pissing me off these days, and I've grown rather fond of UN-Southern. :)
We're much more hospitable out here than your OSU brethren. Except for a handful of us, but that's with any group.

1986 - I don't go out of my way to correct your posts, but I will here.

In 2022 ESPN offered the Pac around $30M. This was AFTER FUSC and FUCLA had announced their pending departure. The stupid PAC, thanks to a dipshit Utah professor and their President, talked the PAC into believing we were worth $50M. So we sought to negotiate. ESPN said F you very much, waved goodbye, and offered basically the same deal to the Big-12, who jumped on it.

The shit $20-some M deal that was brought forth to the soon-to be PAC-10 by Apple was what caused the rest of the Traitors to bolt. Including Utah, who was the reason for the ESPN F-up. Of course, they are now in the Big-12 getting the same $30M they scoffed at previously.
Dr Taylor Randall, the 17th president of the University of Utah.

“The Pac-12 Presidents and Chancellors worked collectively in pursuit of a new media rights agreement. Though an offer was made by one of our media partners, we elected to take the rights to market to get the best deal. Throughout the process, many of the CEOs — including myself — pushed to ensure that the conference was aggressive to secure the very best agreement we could. Several conference schools retained their own consultants to value the league, which resulted in a range of estimations. It is my understanding that any mention of $50 million, which was higher than any valuation, was only as a potential starting point in negotiations to help get us to the estimated true value.” - Randall.

Maybe they should have tried a reasonable number based on actual valuation rather than insulting a partner?

The Presidents of OSU and WSU are desperate DIPSHITS. In their minds they already spent the $ 20 million they were getting ( and feel they deserve in perpetuity) and will do anything, grasp at any straw to get as close to that as possible. Realism doesn't have a place in their calculations. What happens to other programs is completely irrelevant. It will take loads of time for them to accept the fact that they are no longer one of the cool kids. Their daddy is no longer buying them a new Tesla but a used civic and they can't stand it.
Fixed your post ABOVE........ :)

This is a post from a guy on the Wazzu board. I'm not sure if it's accurate on the $4/viewer thing, but it feels like a somewhat reasonable (but low) number to me.

Any post on the WSU board that doesn't come from the All-Seeing, All-Knowing Loyal One should be viewed as suspect.

Edit - yeah WSU/Hawaii will have a bit more competition for eyeballs at 12:30. OSU/UNLV not so much (only Utah/TCU).

Oh and I see your lusted-after Toledo/NIU will be one of 8 games at 12:30 on ESPN+. As well as Pac-mentioned candidates Tulane, UTSA and Texas State (also MW mentioned). $5 sez all those games put together have less eyeballs than either of ours.
I didn't mention the SJSU v WSU game because that game didn't have the most views, but I did average in the games from the Washington State games that were on the CW.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT