ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV vs Kansas Thread

Disappointed in the outcome, another high scoring affair against Odom/ Scherer (remember Scherer faced this team last year). We got torched despite KU being called for 200 something yards of penalties.

On the other side, this was a very good bowl game. Not some throw in bowl against a sun belt team. Unlv got some good press out of it, it was trending on twitter, got some eye balls and recruits watching.

The returning guys got a lot of high pressure game experience. No more it’s “been 30 years since the Rebels did x,y,z.” They need to learn to win the big games. They’ve won 9 games and know how to win so that’s a start. Looking forward to next years squad that will have established leaders, more skilled and stronger in a lot of areas.

I agree when you say that we need to fix the defense. Now, I have a question for you.

What does that look like? Are we firing someone or just bringing people in? Or a mixture of both?
I think we bring in better talent more suited for the system. Young DC is gonna learn hopefully and get better. Although he's now been torched for over 1000 yards and 11 TDs vs Kansas so maybe he needs to step down? Overall the lack of pressure and purely vanilla defense was a big issue all year. Despite causing "chaos" and generating turnovers they forced offense to play catchup by giving huge cushions and missing clear reads. Like do I need to sit with Scherer this offseason and watch KU film to point out the fairly obvious stuff they run behind all the smoke and mirror motion? I will, just get me a plane ticket, lol...

There will be more than you think that will only focus on the last 3 games and call everything else over rated and or say it doesn't count because we just beat bad teams. There are just some very miserable UNLV fans...

I look forward to see what adjustments the defense can make with better talent and another year with the system. I hope the communication part increases as alot of our deep ball issues stemmed from miscommunication on who had which guy. Also the front needs to improve because 3 down have to find a way to put pressure on QB. Offense I have no doubt just gets better. Hopefully we get less vanilla play calls and much more aggressive on 3rd and 4th down calls. There should be no reason why 1st down we aren't taking shots to White each drive next year.
Oh I don’t doubt you. Only two teams scored more against KU than UNLV. Our offense is legit anyone who says otherwise is a hater. If you have concerns with the D I get it but it is year one so…

Pretty certain he was supposed to look deep and throw it only if wide open otherwise check down underneath on whoever that was crossing based upon Brennan’s reaction when Maiva came to the sideline.

Had to be a check down play. See what coverage they had on White, if it was there take the shot. If not check down. He locked on him the whole way..

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
I think we bring in better talent more suited for the system. Young DC is gonna learn hopefully and get better. Although he's now been torched for over 1000 yards and 11 TDs vs Kansas so maybe he needs to step down? Overall the lack of pressure and purely vanilla defense was a big issue all year. Despite causing "chaos" and generating turnovers they forced offense to play catchup by giving huge cushions and missing clear reads. Like do I need to sit with Scherer this offseason and watch KU film to point out the fairly obvious stuff they run behind all the smoke and mirror motion? I will, just get me a plane ticket, lol...

I think some of the 'vanilla' was lack of dudes.

Didn't have a anybody that could consistently get after the Qb when we brought 4. Don't think he trusted his DBs enough to bring 5 very often.

Agree played it safe as season wore on. Would rather have been more aggressive bringing extra guys occasionally. They were earlier in the year. Not sure what changed beyond facing better teams.

I agree when you say that we need to fix the defense. Now, I have a question for you.

What does that look like? Are we firing someone or just bringing people in? Or a mixture of both?
My gut says personnel we need another pass rusher and need to completely redo our secondary. But too many times I saw guys fail to successfully pass off a receiver during zone coverage and the result is someone wide open. Is that personnel or coaching? Hard to say. But I am betting the safeties coach leaving for another job that isn’t a better job isn’t a coincidence.

My gut says personnel we need another pass rusher and need to completely redo our secondary. But too many times I saw guys fail to successfully pass off a receiver during zone coverage and the result is someone wide open. Is that personnel or coaching? Hard to say. But I am betting the safeties coach leaving for another job that isn’t a better job isn’t a coincidence.
You are very correct. Lets just say that that situation was handled in a very friendly way.

We have 2 guys coming in thatll play safety. So maybe some new corners are needed. I am okay with Moten and Elad but besides that, we definitely need some new bodies to come in at that position.

Pass rusher is a big big big need. We need to get a couple of guys.

You are very correct. Lets just say that that situation was handled in a very friendly way.

We have 2 guys coming in thatll play safety. So maybe some new corners are needed. I am okay with Moten and Elad but besides that, we definitely need some new bodies to come in at that position.

Pass rusher is a big big big need. We need to get a couple of guys.
Odom has the air of someone who knows what he is doing so not a surprise. I think he was the only coach who stayed from the old regime? So him leaving I guess not really a surprise.

The safeties you mentioned sound good if healthy. Hopefully they portal a nice corner and d lineman or two! Our line is young though I believe? If true maybe we gain some production with experience as well (hopefully).

Reactions: goraphareb
We def need some pass rushers up front especially if were going to continue to rush 3. The secondary needs some upgrades as well. If we can upgrade our defense some we get most of the weapons back on offense as well. I can see us improving but with a tougher schedule maybe having a slightly worse record.

I hate the 3-3-5 and especially hate the rush 3 drop 8 bullshit. I think teams are too good and QBs too good to constantly get beat by that coverage. Our defense is downright awful. I know Maiava and his multiple turnovers these last few games has been devastating but my goodness the defense has been swish cheese.

Down by 21 the team didn’t give up. A bad second quarter and Maiva didn’t give up. This was a top 25 team most of the season with wins over #6 OK plus IA St and probably start the year ranked next year. They are a good team and we hung in there. I don’t see how anyone can view this season as anything besides positive. Our offense is clearly legit now fix the D and let’s get better.
Kansas beating both my teams this year was definitely not on my bingo card.

I hate the 3-3-5 and especially hate the rush 3 drop 8 bullshit. I think teams are too good and QBs too good to constantly get beat by that coverage. Our defense is downright awful. I know Maiava and his multiple turnovers these last few games has been devastating but my goodness the defense has been swish cheese.
Yeah. I get the feeling that his "mental" errors had a lot to do with knowing the defense wasn't going to stop teams. You press mote then play safe when you know you need TDs.

We’re pretty much getting faster in the middle (linebacker) and the backend through Hs recruiting and portal. The other thing is, we need more guys up front to generate pressure faster.

The problem is at this point of the year, and really the last 3-4 games the Rebels have played football teams with top end talent that exposed our secondary and linebackers. Woodard just can’t do it all himself but with faster more athletic guys around him, he will be effective.

I don’t think there will be any wholesale changes but it will be revamped. Guys will have to use this loss and work even harder in the offseason.

As for the departing Seniors, must be bittersweet leaving on good terms but knowing that UNLV
It’s year one folks. The 3-3-5 was exposed by more athletic teams, we saw that last year with Scherer coaching Arkansas vs this Kansas team. I think as we get more athletes and big time skill guys on defense, it will get much better. We did very well vs Air Force and handled our business in a lot of games. Timely interceptions etc.

As I said before, we have big time reinforcements coming in the linebacker corps and rumor is we are revamping the secondary.

We’re pretty much getting faster in the middle (linebacker) and the backend through Hs recruiting and portal. The other thing is, we need more guys up front to generate pressure faster.

The problem is at this point of the year, and really the last 3-4 games the Rebels have played football teams with top end talent that exposed our secondary and linebackers. Woodard just can’t do it all himself but with faster more athletic guys around him, he will be effective.

I don’t think there will be any wholesale changes but it will be revamped. Guys will have to use this loss and work even harder in the offseason.

As for the departing Seniors, must be bittersweet leaving on good terms but knowing that UNLV

It’s year one folks. The 3-3-5 was exposed by more athletic teams, we saw that last year with Scherer coaching Arkansas vs this Kansas team. I think as we get more athletes and big time skill guys on defense, it will get much better. We did very well vs Air Force and handled our business in a lot of games. Timely interceptions etc.

As I said before, we have big time reinforcements coming in the linebacker corps and rumor is we are revamping the secondary.
Who do we have coming in at LB?

We could have run 4-2-5, 3-4-4, 4-3-4 or Buddy Ryan's 4-6...

We just didn't have enough dudes.

I said at beginning of the year I thought the defense would be opportunistic, create turnovers.

But would struggle to hold up on a series by series basis.

I did think they would get better as they learned and grew comfortable with the defense.

Opposite happened. Better opponents, a few injuries and they got exposed..

Who do we have coming in at LB?
Laster, Porter, we’ll get a couple dudes in the portal. I think we have Salibury & Carter already leaving via the portal. Laster will probably be Freshman DPOY in the MW next season.

We will start to see news of guys leaving and offers going out now that the bowl game is over. I don’t have specific players but it is obvious to me that certain positions need more skill/depth.

Laster, Porter, we’ll get a couple dudes in the portal. I think we have Salibury & Carter already leaving via the portal. Laster will probably be Freshman DPOY in the MW next season.

We will start to see news of guys leaving and offers going out now that the bowl game is over. I don’t have specific players but it is obvious to me that certain positions need more skill/depth.
Oh okay makes sense. I thought you were alluding to silent commits at the LB position which is why I was asking because I would have known. We will definitely get some dudes from the portal and I like the freshmen LBs we have coming in.

Im hoping Blesyng can get some PT next season. He is someone that will go 110% every play and seems to love contact and hitting.

We could have run 4-2-5, 3-4-4, 4-3-4 or Buddy Ryan's 4-6...

We just didn't have enough dudes.

I said at beginning of the year I thought the defense would be opportunistic, create turnovers.

But would struggle to hold up on a series by series basis.

I did think they would get better as they learned and grew comfortable with the defense.

Opposite happened. Better opponents, a few injuries and they got exposed..
If we didn't have enough dudes, that's on ODOM!!!! He didn't recruit hard enough!!! That's all coaching!!!!! If he doesn't get his sht together by next season, he should be gone! We were KILLED in the last three games, there is no EXCUSE!!!!!!!

If we didn't have enough dudes, that's on ODOM!!!! He didn't recruit hard enough!!! That's all coaching!!!!! If he doesn't get his sht together by next season, he should be gone! We were KILLED in the last three games, there is no EXCUSE!!!!!!!

Throw in an idiot or fool and I would think you had been possessed by the spirit of Digit.

I am all for letting him go after losing three in a row. We don't tolerate that around these parts. (This is sarcasm)

Hell, I didn't know how to handle a team winning 9 games. I haven't experienced that since I attended and followed USC football.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Enjoyed our time in Phoenix.

Overcrowded alumni association pre-party that was very well attended with a lot of people who wanted to get in, who had not paid yet, being turned away due to no room for additional alumni! The party was great and we got to eat all the food and drink all the beer that we could handle.

Obviously the Kansas crowd far outnumbered the UNLV crowd, with my expectation that around 2K would show up to support UNLV if we were lucky. In truth it looks like the UNLV number was more around 4-5K+ at the game. In the 4th quarter the UNLV fans became noticeable with their chants being pushed on by the players trying to get back into the game.

Like everyone else I watch as UNLV was being destroyed in the first half with the expectation that it would take a miracle for UNLV to get back into the game. In the second half it was obvious that UNLV defense and offense both made adjustments that helped them claw back into the game. Twice UNLV got the game down to 4 points and twice UNLV went for it on 4th with both being fails. I really wish UNLV had not tried the 4th down since it put them into a deeper hole.

It really hurt when Kansas went for 4th and short and turned it into a TD. It also hurt with the number of long wide open passes that kept Kansas in front of UNLV.

The bottom line is UNLV showed a lot of character and that they could be competitive with a very good team. It also showed that our QB needs to keep improving so that he makes fewer mistakes due to rushing things as well as an offensive line that was not providing adequate protection to the QB.

Please, please find players that have the speed to play in the secondary and stop these wide open passes.

I hope UNLV has put a mark on the game at Kansas next year as a must win game!

Overall I feel that they played their hearts out, and I see a team that will win more games next year!

Yeah, it's a thing and has become even more prevalent in the last 12 months or so. People will even pay for a checkmark on a spoofed account to appears even more realistic and then say some crazy shit.
You better help out the UF fans.

This

My post was absolutely facetious and taking shots and the black and white/absolutionist types of people.

His response … not sure if he was agreeing with the sarcasm …
Excitement will carry us through until fall watching the job UNLV does with recruiting and filling needs through the portal for 2024.

On a side note, I was talking with one of the UNLV ticket sales people that has called me about getting my season tickets that are tied to my deposit, and she told me that ticket sales are exponentially up from last season. Not sure what that means, but it sounds like season ticket sales are going really good for 2024.

I did not get season tickets this year because I didn't think my son would be able to go to any of the games due to his job, but we ended up buying tickets to 4 of the home games, MWC championship, and the bowl game.

Next year format is 12 teams playoff...top 12 teams get to play for it all.

Oh okay makes sense. I thought you were alluding to silent commits at the LB position which is why I was asking because I would have known. We will definitely get some dudes from the portal and I like the freshmen LBs we have coming in.

Im hoping Blesyng can get some PT next season. He is someone that will go 110% every play and seems to love contact and hitting.
Don’t forget about Correa, Porter, or Pa’ao’ao. I’m not sure any of them will be at college speed fast enough to skip the redshirt year.

Good news, with 36 points, Unlv scored the 3rd most of any Kansas opponent this year.

Bad news, 49 points was the second most Kansas scored against anyone this year. And they could have scored more.

Good news, with 36 points, Unlv scored the 3rd most of any Kansas opponent this year.

Bad news, 49 points was the second most Kansas scored against anyone this year. And they could have scored more.
True, but silver lining. We should have scored more too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT