ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking UNLV hosts Boise State in MWC championship game!

These are some schools in the non-conference we've scheduled going into the future per Wiki.

I was looking at that last week I like the 2024 schedule. Kansas has been ranked most of the season. Houston had an off year but the potential to be decent every year. Army flirts with bowl eligibility every year. Those are all competitive games, no Michigan on there but all three potentially winnable.

So, home field advantage should be 3 points.
So, if Boise St is a 3.5 pt. favorite at UNLV.
Then, on a neutral field. Boise would be a -6 point favorite.
I assume Masked meant that to include local money would be favored on one side, so they adjusted it to prevent overloading?

I do think BSU -3.5 plus or minus a couple points is pretty reasonable.

Reactions: WYNN or Dye
Arroyo didn’t even win a game his first year (or two?)…his supporters called it a “slow build”.
Yep. Slow builds aren’t necessary. If a coach is depending on fans accepting a slow build, he’s just stealing money from the school.

You DON’T have to build as quickly as Odom. But you should be better by the end of the year than you are at the start and that ending should be better than the year prior. That doesn’t always mean wins either.

Odom is better than Arroyo, that is very much clear.

But Arroyo had to build from nearly scratch, Odom was able to capitalize of 2 top 2 recruiting classes in the past league in the past 3 seasons.

Not the same thing.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

But Arroyo had to build from nearly scratch, Odom was able to capitalize of 2 top 2 recruiting classes in the past league in the past 3 seasons.

Not the same thing.
I dont think Arroyo had to build from scratch. It wasn't like they were overrun with talent, but they had more than none.

Importantly for Arroyo, his first year as a head coach, especially in a new place for him that is notoriously bad historically, came during the covid season. It was a tough way to enter the gig and undoubtedly made the next 2 years tougher

I dont think Arroyo had to build from scratch. It wasn't like they were overrun with talent, but they had more than none.

Importantly for Arroyo, his first year as a head coach, especially in a new place for him that is notoriously bad historically, came during the covid season. It was a tough way to enter the gig and undoubtedly made the next 2 years tougher
Arroyo had no defense pieces, at all. Inherited a gawdawful defense that was senior laden the season before with no depth.
WE definitely had more offensive pieces, but they didn't really fit his system.

So that's why I said he nearly had to build from scratch.

They do turn the ball over though.. lol. Not unlike SJSU, they are very prone for turnovers at -3 net for the season. I think 13 ints and 6 fumbles...

So hopefully, our defense can be opportunistic, which should in turn help contain their offense...

They do turn the ball over though.. lol. Not unlike SJSU, they are very prone for turnovers at -3 net for the season. I think 13 ints and 6 fumbles...

So hopefully, our defense can be opportunistic, which should in turn help contain their offense...

SJSU was first game we didn't force a turnover.

I think we are another season away from this defense being stout enough to regularly shut teams down.

Turnovers, being opportunistic has definitely been there calling card this year.

Will need to force two maybe three in this game..

He did.

But he also decided to completely tear down the roster and build back new. Didn't feel like we tried to win any of those games during the COVID season. Don't think that sat well with anyone.
Any time fans see coaches that they perceive are ok with losing, regardless of the surrounding circumstances … you’re going to lose some fans. When there are smiles after losses, cheesy quotes after getting blown out … when they don’t hold self accountable and make constant excuses … you’re going to lose the portion of the fan base that values actions over words/print. Fans that prefer evidence over blind faith.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Any time fans see coaches that they perceive are ok with losing, regardless of the surrounding circumstances … you’re going to lose some fans. When there are smiles after losses, cheesy quotes after getting blown out … when they don’t hold self accountable and make constant excuses … you’re going to lose the portion of the fan base that values actions over words/print. Fans that prefer evidence over blind faith.
Id have been willing to put year one aside, write it off to Covid, if he hadnt turned around and gone winless the following season till we beat a bad New Mexico team and a bad Hawaii team. That included a butt kicking by Reno and a loss to an FCS team. So year 1 he had Covid excuse, but that doesn't excuse his second season or the following season where we just went completely off the deep end mid year.. Its pretty clear that a good coach finds way to get his team back ready following a loss and Odom has done that. Maybe losing to SJSU last week was actually a blessing if we can turn that into motivation for beating Boise and winning the Championship.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Id have been willing to put year one aside, write it off to Covid, if he hadnt turned around and gone winless the following season till we beat a bad New Mexico team and a bad Hawaii team. That included a butt kicking by Reno and a loss to an FCS team. So year 1 he had Covid excuse, but that doesn't excuse his second season or the following season where we just went completely off the deep end mid year.. Its pretty clear that a good coach finds way to get his team back ready following a loss and Odom has done that. Maybe losing to SJSU last week was actually a blessing if we can turn that into motivation for beating Boise and winning the Championship.
Agreed. After Boise we likely have UCLA or USC in the LA Bowel!!! What a finish to the seasons.

Agreed. After Boise we likely have UCLA or USC in the LA Bowel!!! What a finish to the seasons.
It looks like likely USC for the LA Bowl. Surprised that UCLA lost to Cal the last week of the season. Chip Kelly has got to get fired, no?
Otherwise it could be Utah if Oregon upsets UW and neither make the playoff. But I would think the winner of that game is almost locked in.

Fans in LA are lining up for the bowl game! Soup bowl that is!
Seinfeld Soup GIF

It looks like likely USC for the LA Bowl. Surprised that UCLA lost to Cal the last week of the season. Chip Kelly has got to get fired, no?
Otherwise it could be Utah if Oregon upsets UW and neither make the playoff. But I would think the winner of that game is almost locked in.
According to twitter, Chip Kelly will remain coach. Surprising for sure

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Even with the Covid year … not looking for a great record … but wouldn’t you expect or at least hope for some lightly imprinted fingerprints?

Such as …. Better discipline, more accountability, less boneheadedness … things of that nature. Something. If you’re going to do the same ol’ same ol’ at a very low level, give me the fn job for a year, I’ll take that coin and do the same.

Not the same thing.
BS. Arroyo took a 5-7 team and went winless. Took until his third year to get back to where Sanchez left it.

Odom replaced 58 players this year. Over half the team. This isn't a case of winning with all of Arroyo's players.

Arroyo was garbage. As a coach and as a person.

BS. Arroyo took a 5-7 team and went winless. Took until his third year to get back to where Sanchez left it.

Odom replaced 58 players this year. Over half the team. This isn't a case of winning with all of Arroyo's players.

The fact that he used year one as a “tryout” was absolute BS to me. Losers make the excuses that he makes.

Odom shrugged off the loss at Michigan as “taking us out of contention for the BCS title game” but didn’t stop aiming for the MWC championship. Huge difference.

No one said Arroyo did a bang up job.

But he could recruit. He had a top MW class and a #2 class. Part of why he failed and was so disappointing was not taking advantage of those classes.

Look at the starters this year. Way more previous players than newcomers.

Odom really improved our depth everywhere no question about that.

But you can't say that what Odom inherited was exaxtly the same as what Arroyo took over.

Also Arroyo Inherited a 4-8 team. It doesn't matter much, but just to clarify.

He also totally mishandled that first year. He didn't care about winning. That was obvious.

Arroyo sucked!
Oregon didn’t miss him, he had nothing or very little to do with Herbert and the fans if I remember correctly were glad he was leaving but he still got hired here?
We were at a low point back then, so glad Odom has shown everyone that once and for all a good HC improves things immediately. It doesn’t take years to make progress!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT