ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread UNLV at Houston

Walk into Big 12 program house, dominate for a W... didn't play well on offense, lost a key defensive player for half game, made a ton of penalties, special teams was a mess on kick coverage, and we still dominated...
This team has all the right stuff to be really good

I think our team players great on D against a shaky/poor Houston team. Houston was not ready tonight, our D was.

Our offense was not impressive. Didn’t break 200 yds rushing despite running the ball almost 50 times. Sluka was very impressive for most of the first half, both on the ground and in the air.

However, Marion took the ball right out of his hands for the entire 2nd half. Doesn’t exactly instill confidence in our passing game. Hoping they just decided to play it ultra conservative knowing that the game was in hand.

We’re going to need the passing game if we want to go far this year. Hope to see good improvement next week.

Damn. Sluka has 71 total passing yards. I could have sworn he was alot more involves. Did the OC slow down the game after that third touchdown? Nor showing all the cards for Kansas?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Both... Marion did the same thing at times last year especially early vs Bryant. He likes to keep things simple late with leads vs just continuing to build leads. He's also not good at the short yard stuff. That was an issue last year and we blamed it on Maiava not being able to run, but draw plays on 3rd and short constantly are not cutting it. I hope we use the first half next week to work some stuff out and get Sluka/WRs on same page together... after the INT, Marion pumped the brakes on the offense

Nor showing all the cards for Kansas?
There’s something to this. Odom did the same last year. Still, the offense seemed a bit disjointed after the first quarter. Play this way against Kansas, O St., or the top half of MWC and we’ll pile up some Ls. Hope it has more to do with Sluka still learning his teammates. Marion did seem far too conservative with his play calling.

Kansas fans/coaches now have a ? on their schedule.
This Sucks Ryan Reynolds GIF by Welcome to Wrexham

Odom just said on the post game that he decided to take the air out of the ball once we were in control. It ain’t sexy and was boring in the 2nd half, but it never gave Houston a chance to get back into it. Smart ball.
Great to hear. Makes me feel much better about the offense (and Marion’s play calling). Odom really does love to keep things under wrap as much as possible. No one even knew who the starting QB was until he ran out onto the field.

Great to hear. Makes me feel much better about the offense (and Marion’s play calling). Odom really does love to keep things under wrap as much as possible. No one even knew who the starting QB was until he ran out onto the field.
They’re friends. I believe crushing into an oblivion before easing, we probably just have a different line in the sand as to what oblivion is. He’s the coach, he’s proven his worth and value, it’s his call.

I think it had a lot more to do with the personal problems of Coach Robinson. His wife ended up with a cancer diagnosis going into the 2001 season, and it became very obvious his heart wasn't into coaching anymore. UNLV also made him the AD in 2001 prior to the start of the season which combined with coaching and his wife's cancer issues just overwhelmed him, and we never did see him get back to the 2000 peak of his coaching at UNLV.
When I was in the hotel business, I hosted Coach Robinson several times. You could not ask for a nicer or humbler guy.

When I was in the hotel business, I hosted Coach Robinson several times. You could not ask for a nicer or humbler guy.
I wasn’t a fan of his coaching, in general, because it was bland and predictable. That said, he was a good coach, especially for UNLV. Just not my particular style. As a guy, I thought he was incredibly down to earth, just a good dude. Just really balanced and decent, a regular Joe.

Slow down... There's a big difference between Houston and Kansas... if we play like we did tonight offensively, Kansas will beat us silly.. our defense took advantage of a bad Houston offense, Kansas is not a bad offense
Here's what I meant... Kansas is still a loss in my mind. They're incredibly talented.

When they watch the film on this game, they're going to see our upgraded defense. Our Maiava replacement that runs. We have drastically improved. They're going to do 2-3x more prepping than they would have had to do had we lost/won a close one.

Hmm, certainly not a finished product but the offense is in good hands. But sure, let’s put the backup in and mess everything up.
Ya sure how did putting in the back up in last year work out? Win far more games with the back up then if Unlv stayed with the same starter. I never said to put him in I answered a question to what is seen to out him in. I have no idea who the problem is. Is it time is the coach was it the qb. I don't know but finish drives was a issue and that will lose games.

Here's what I meant... Kansas is still a loss in my mind. They're incredibly talented.

When they watch the film on this game, they're going to see our upgraded defense. Our Maiava replacement that runs. We have drastically improved. They're going to do 2-3x more prepping than they would have had to do had we lost/won a close one.
Very good… = program moving forward…
Always have to play the game - love that smile proven point!

Sluka can’t throw.. it’s painful to watch him throw the ball..

We will need him to be 100 times better to beat Kansas next week..

CRhodes
We play Utah Tech (formerly Dixie State, formerly Dixie Junior College) next week. We play Kansas the week after. The Utah Tech game should give Sluka the opportunity to work out some of the kinks. We have too many weapons on offense to be one dimensional.

Ya sure how did putting in the back up in last year work out? Win far more games with the back up then if Unlv stayed with the same starter. I never said to put him in I answered a question to what is seen to out him in. I have no idea who the problem is. Is it time is the coach was it the qb. I don't know but finish drives was a issue and that will lose games.
Very different situations... Sluka isnt hesitant to play QB or take shots. Dougie B was due to his injury history and overall the offense was very conservative early in the season. We put "the backup" in because we were up big against an inferior opponent in game 1, and getting doors blown off in game 2 vs Michigan... then Doug got hit again and Maiava took shots and won the game and the rest is history. Teams need a consistent QB1. He hadn't had time fully woth the first team as they kept splitting time throughout camp. Add in playing conservatively up on the road as Odom said post game and that's where we got. I think the more comfortable Sluka starts to get, the more he uses RPO on 3rd and short rather than hand-off to Jet. Again, for he's a very skilled QB and just went on the road to A Big 12 school and won pretty handily with a month of play/practice at this level...

I think our team players great on D against a shaky/poor Houston team. Houston was not ready tonight, our D was.

Our offense was not impressive. Didn’t break 200 yds rushing despite running the ball almost 50 times. Sluka was very impressive for most of the first half, both on the ground and in the air.

However, Marion took the ball right out of his hands for the entire 2nd half. Doesn’t exactly instill confidence in our passing game. Hoping they just decided to play it ultra conservative knowing that the game was in hand.

We’re going to need the passing game if we want to go far this year. Hope to see good improvement next week.

He had two big completions wiped out on back to back plays by holding calls.

Up three scores there was no reason to throw the ball. Rebs were churning up yards on the ground and chewing up clock.

Was it a great performance by the offense, no, but it was steady and they pushed Houston around in the trenches.

Also left 6-10 points off the board. Missed FG and not converting on 4th down inside the ten.

I was at the game and Rebels absolutely bullied Houston all night. Houston TV call was playing in stadium. Announcers were shocked at how physical UNLV was.

I don't know if the passing game will be dynamic this year, but I think it will be good enough.

Up three scores there was no reason to throw the ball. Rebs were churning up yards on the ground and chewing up clock.

Was it a great performance by the offense, no, but it was steady and they pushed Houston around in the trenches.

Also left 6-10 points off the board. Missed FG and not converting on 4th down inside the ten.

I was at the game and Rebels absolutely bullied Houston all night. Houston TV call was playing in stadium. Announcers were shocked at how physical UNLV was.

I don't know if the passing game will be dynamic this year, but I think it will be good enough.
That Jalen Catalon Pick 6 really display how physical UNLV was. UNLV defense shredded UH.

It will be a challenge for sure.

Note I said only good news on offense. Yes, I will stand by that. Look at our offensive stats for the game.

I am not worried about playing conservative and vanilla in a game like this, at least in the second half. There was no need to try to run up the score. Odom respects Fritz and we already had an attention grabbing win in the books.
The best thing about our offense was the ability to get good chunk running plays on first down consistently. We would get 4 yards or more every first down running play at least until garbage time. That is huge. It will allow plus to run tempo and really open up the offense.
While waiting on trill burgers I heard the UH broadcast too. They couldn't beleive how much qb pressure we had even after bringing dual TE sets to help block. We also stopped the run and did a good job at setting the edge and play fast sideline to sideline
Houston has 1 returning starter on the OL. That played a part for sure, but our font 7 never was this dominant all of last year, even against Bryant. You can tell the back end is much tighter but the front 7 is making big pushes. This defense could be for real this season and it may end up being our strength. Considering the potential of our offense that could mean a very special year. I really like our prospects in conference.

I am not worried about playing conservative and vanilla in a game like this, at least in the second half. There was no need to try to run up the score. Odom respects Fritz and we already had an attention grabbing win in the books.
The best thing about our offense was the ability to get good chunk running plays on first down consistently. We would get 4 yards or more every first down running play at least until garbage time. That is huge. It will allow plus to run tempo and really open up the offense.
While waiting on trill burgers I heard the UH broadcast too. They couldn't beleive how much qb pressure we had even after bringing dual TE sets to help block. We also stopped the run and did a good job at setting the edge and play fast sideline to sideline
Houston has 1 returning starter on the OL. That played a part for sure, but our font 7 never was this dominant all of last year, even against Bryant. You can tell the back end is much tighter but the front 7 is making big pushes. This defense could be for real this season and it may end up being our strength. Considering the potential of our offense that could mean a very special year. I really like our prospects in conference.
Yeah I thought we just decided to work on the run game in the 2nd half because it wasn't working that great overall and the D was dominating. I am thinking Burrell is going to end up starting.

The best thing about the offense was the offensive line, they really controlled the line of scrimmage and that’s impressive vs a power school. As mentioned before, there were a couple of holds and couldn’t convert a 4th down near the goal line. I think there was another 4th down that was not converted.

This game could’ve been 42 or 50 something to 7. Easily.

TO WIN ON THE ROAD to start the season vs a name opponent/p5 school is impressive. This was a great outcome.

What total domination. Score wasn’t totally indicative of the domination but man that was fun. I have a connection to the UH support staff and he texted me late last night and said UH was simply not ready for the team speed we showed specifically on defense. My only complaint is that our 1500 yard WR didn’t have a bigger game but that’s being picky and as others have said, we really didn’t need to show much after a certain point. Can’t wait to watch the boys next week at home. Hopefully there’s a ton of fan support like there was for that championship game last year.

What total domination. Score wasn’t totally indicative of the domination but man that was fun. I have a connection to the UH support staff and he texted me late last night and said UH was simply not ready for the team speed we showed specifically on defense. My only complaint is that our 1500 yard WR didn’t have a bigger game but that’s being picky and as others have said, we really didn’t need to show much after a certain point. Can’t wait to watch the boys next week at home. Hopefully there’s a ton of fan support like there was for that championship game last year.
It was easy to see how disruptive we were to what they wanted to do. We were physical and flew to the ball. Houston might not have looked great, but we did that to them, making the Vegas kid uncomfortable all night and forcing him to make bad throws or rushed throws.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT