ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread UNLV at Houston

Obviously a stellar win. I think Houston is a bottom 1/4 team in the Big12 this year, but even with the big turnover there is a lot of talent on the roster. Kansas is a legit top 25 team who handed us our lunch money last time we played.

Positives:

* We were clearly in better condition than Houston. I counted 5 lineman pukes and 4 cramping players in the first half alone.
* No mistakes in coverage from our safeties...they played an almost perfect game. That cost us games last year.
* Great push on both sides of the line. Getting some pressure with some 4 man and 5 man rush packages.
* Came out ready to play and ready to knock dicks in the dirt.
* Defense is fast, flies to the ball and is clearly playing more aggressive.
* Woodard and Catalon were the obvious studs but McDuffie and Correa had really good games too.
* Simply dominated field position all game. People are griping about Sluka's passing yardage but when you're starting most of your drives in opponent territory there's not a ton of room for yardage.

Negatives:

* Redzone offense was brutal--but Houston did have pretty good team speed.
* We're missing a bruising runner that we had with Lester last year.
* I know we're keeping offensive packages pretty vanilla, and I think Marion was really giving Sluka a lot of 1-2 read route packages, otherwise he's not going past the first or second read.
* OL were beating the DL for the most part, but we were not getting a good job of getting to the second level to give those homerun running plays.
* I was not a fan of the De Jesus running packages...4 carries for 7 yards and it didn't look like anyone was fooled.

Not sure if this was evident on TV but it was live at the stadium.

It was pretty humid in Houston around game time.

Yeah Vegas is hot but that humidity is stifling.

I'm not sure if it was conditioning, some type of special hydration regiment or UNLV dominating time of possession, but by midway through 2nd quarter UH dudes looked gas. A number of their guys cramped up. Rebels looked really fresh throughout.
Yeah, I was impressed with the Rebels' conditioning under those circumstances and that it was the first game. I guess playing in 110 degree whether does have its advantages.

Think of it this way. We played Houston like Michigan played us 2 times ago. Last season they opened up the playbook and didn't look the hold much back. 2 times ago they played us very conservative.
We did better than against them than Houston did against us.
The offense will open up. Count on it. More run this year for sure. But I think they will use the run to open up the pass. We couldn't do that last year.

Yeah, I was impressed with the Rebels' conditioning under those circumstances and that it was the first game. I guess playing in 110 degree whether does have its advantages.

The old 'it's a dry heat' really does have some merit.

Don't get me wrong when it's 110 here I would rather be anywhere but here.

But it was 86 there with I think 80% humidity.

Let's just say Degree's 24 hour sweat protection campaign must have a disclaimer somewhere that says 'Except Houston'...

It really does make the air feel heavy harder to breathe.

It's a whole different animal.

Whatever the staff did to prepare for it worked.

I have lived here 21 years now after growing up in Vegas and going to UNLV. I am still not acclimated to the humidity.
You can't escape it. Shade does very little. Hell it can be 4 hours after sundown and the temp drops 3 degrees from what it was at 3pm.

Obviously a stellar win. I think Houston is a bottom 1/4 team in the Big12 this year, but even with the big turnover there is a lot of talent on the roster. Kansas is a legit top 25 team who handed us our lunch money last time we played.

Positives:

* We were clearly in better condition than Houston. I counted 5 lineman pukes and 4 cramping players in the first half alone.
* No mistakes in coverage from our safeties...they played an almost perfect game. That cost us games last year.
* Great push on both sides of the line. Getting some pressure with some 4 man and 5 man rush packages.
* Woodard and Catalon were the obvious studs but McDuffie and Correa had really good games too.
* Simply dominated field position all game. People are griping about Sluka's passing yardage but when you're starting most of your drives in opponent territory there's not a ton of room for yardage.

Negatives:

* I know we're keeping offensive packages pretty vanilla, and I think Marion was really giving Sluka a lot of 1-2 read route packages, otherwise he's not going past the first or second read.
* OL were beating the DL for the most part, but we were not getting a good job of getting to the second level to give those homerun running plays.
* I was not a fan of the De Jesus running packages...4 carries for 7 yards and it didn't look like anyone was fooled.
I don't like having Jacob in the backfield as much either. He is too valuable and small to be a regular back in the rotation.
I dont mind him being back there for a few sets. Even a couple of carries sure. Just to put it on film. Maybe that is what they did.
I think this offense is always going to be 1-2 read type of system. That is what it was billed as before Marion got there. The formations are meant to show the defenses hand at least a little, making reads easier and quick.

Agree. DeJesus was the best WR with Houston really focused on White. Putting him into the backfield where we're pretty stacked already felt like missed opportunity and it's not like we threw from that formation. Now- long term, you put multiple sets on tape with him in backfield and running plays so in theory, you could surprise teams by letting him drop into a bubble screen or something with them stacking the box expecting a run...

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I have lived here 21 years now after growing up in Vegas and going to UNLV. I am still not acclimated to the humidity.
You can't escape it. Shade does very little. Hell it can be 4 hours after sundown and the temp drops 3 degrees from what it was at 3pm.
I was in Austin last weekend and it was swamp ass 24/7.

Positives:

Negatives:

We do miss the big RB but another parent of a player that we met was the running back transferred from Central Arkansas. I think his last name is James #20. His legs are huge. He should be able to get a yard or two when we need it. He got the ball a few times in the game.

We do miss the big RB but another parent of a player that we met was the running back transferred from Central Arkansas. I think his last name is James #20. His legs are huge. He should be able to get a yard or two when we need it. He got the ball a few times in the game.
We didn't get the extra couple of yards after contact that I noticed last season. Maybe last season it was more accentuated to me since I wasn't used to us getting any forward yardage after contact, let alone falling forward for the extra yard or two.

Again, it very well could be because I have different expectations this season.

Watch Burrell, he’s going to be a big part of the future, imo.

Watch Burrell, he’s going to be a big part of the future, imo.
Michael Allen is a big 5'11" 210# back that could be a difference maker once he gets a couple of games under his belt. Ten carries for 65 yards in his first game against a Big 12 opponent. I wouldn't be surprised if the Utah Tech game gives the team the chance to open up with him going well over 100 years. I also expect a lot passing so that Sluka gets a chance to practice on the passing as well as Hajj-Malik also gets a chance to get in meaningful reps during the game

I think this offense is always going to be 1-2 read type of system. That is what it was billed as before Marion got there. The formations are meant to show the defenses hand at least a little, making reads easier and quick.
Yeah, lots of people have ways now to show you presnap lies. Guys that are position flexible, lots of motion, unbalanced lines and backfields. And I agree, making the quick accurate read in this offense means the ball should be gone by option 2. But that gets muddied up when the defense starts to give you a taste of your own medicine. We can split coverages based on line or backfield imbalance, i can play DL stunt games to mess up your protection, i can show you shell. Bring blitzes from weird angles . In that mud you may HAVE to go to a third option, or understand by then you have to improvise.

Sluka doesn't panic at all. I think he's got a lot of skills. I think he throws a generally ugly, wobbly ball but his arm is strong enough to get the job done. He keeps his eyes downfield even after deciding to run. Good vision. I just really want to see him make some decisions in the mud and throw from a bit of a better base in the pocket. I think there's a lot of meat on that bone.

We have been ass for 30+ years just like H-town was on Sat. It reminded me of UNLV circa 97.

Do they have power back on yet?
That’s what Houston reminded me of, as well. Hapless might be the best word. They just couldn’t do anything right and regardless of the score at any time, you knew it was over.

When you consistently dominate them in the trenches as we did, you can pretty much pick your final score. I think that’s why UNLV went ultra vanilla offensively after Q1.

That’s what Houston reminded me of, as well. Hapless might be the best word. They just couldn’t do anything right and regardless of the score at any time, you knew it was over.

When you consistently dominate them in the trenches as we did, you can pretty much pick your final score. I think that’s why UNLV went ultra vanilla offensively after Q1.
I am missing the Joe Hawk silver linings now. Like OMG Omar Love had 135 yards in that 42-7 ass beating. Something to build on.

Even their fans asked why UNLV didn't drop 50 on UH. UNLV could have drop 30-40 pts before half.
It would be funny if UH end up beating UO this weekend.

Last edited:
That would confuse things, lol. I hope it happens … but my mind is pretty dead set on UNLV is pretty good but Houston is awful.
We will find out how good Houston is next week when they play against #15 Oklahoma! We also may find out a little regarding Syracuse playing #23 Georgia Tech.

That would confuse things, lol. I hope it happens … but my mind is pretty dead set on UNLV is pretty good but Houston is awful.
According to their fans, they think UH will be able to handle UO better than they handled UNLV. To be honest, I am glad that Coach O took the air out of the ball after the first quarter. By the 2nd half, I think the 3 strings got to play. Our coach is winning approval from other coaches across the country but for ranking purposes I am not sure that is a good route? Again, Coach O knows more than we do

According to their fans, they think UH will be able to handle UO better than they handled UNLV. To be honest, I am glad that Coach O took the air out of the ball after the first quarter. By the 2nd half, I think the 3 strings got to play. Our coach is winning approval from other coaches across the country but for ranking purposes I am not sure that is a good route? Again, Coach O knows more than we do
Coach O addressed this issue by saying this season is a marathon, not a sprint. I believe he’s building up the team the RIGHT way and keeping them focused on the overall picture.

In the back of their minds, I know Odom and the staff have Kansas circled on the calendar since the last bowl game. As someone said, the roster additions seemed to have stemmed from the flaws that Kansas exposed, you don’t want Kansas to have too much tape on any new wrinkles with these additions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT