ADVERTISEMENT

Unlv & Air Force in contact w/AAC

I think UNLV is trying to drag this out. The PAC are ansy with good reason. If and that isna big if UNLV keeps winning our value goes up and our Big 12 potential goes up as well. Unlikely yes, but I do think it remains in play.
USU jumping today kinda screws that idea. We probably can't afford to wait too long if the PAC is one team away.
Honestly the MW trying to force the agreement probably sped everything else.
Look at it this way...the conference dissolve around you in 2 years, but your commitment gets cash upfront while you wait... your value keeps going up. No exit fee... cash in hand.. You call Big 12 and say take us in, we take 50% share for 5 years... we have cash in hand to help cover difference, 50% is still more than MWC deal...

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The problem is with both at 7 it's a bidding war to fill the ranks.
Right but they’re bidding on best left (anyone in the MW) vs MW bidding on who?

And if it’s a matter of who has the cash, well right now they still do and it could take years to settle anything once the lawyers get involved.

And like I said 8 is fine… but it still creates problems. Having 10 may somewhat dilute the shares, BUT it gives you a championship game, and it gives it to you before you negotiate a TV deal. If you don’t get the necessary two to have a more legitimate conference and a championship game, not to mention avoiding scheduling chaos, then when do you add them and at that point who are you adding?

Right but they’re bidding on best left (anyone in the MW) vs MW bidding on who?

And if it’s a matter of who has the cash, well right now they still do and it could take years to settle anything once the lawyers get involved.

And like I said 8 is fine… but it still creates problems. Having 10 may somewhat dilute the shares, BUT it gives you a championship game, and it gives it to you before you negotiate a TV deal. If you don’t get the necessary two to have a more legitimate conference and a championship game, not to mention avoiding scheduling chaos, then when do you add them and at that point who are you adding?
There is no longer a minimum requirement for a championship game.

Look at it this way...the conference dissolve around you in 2 years, but your commitment gets cash upfront while you wait... your value keeps going up. No exit fee... cash in hand.. You call Big 12 and say take us in, we take 50% share for 5 years... we have cash in hand to help cover difference, 50% is still more than MWC deal...
Why would the conference have to be dissolve? In 2 years, is there an exit fees? Contract is over. UNLV can then decide to do what ever they want and what best for the school....with a boatload of $$$

What happens when you stick around and the MW starts to finalize the next TV deal. You are playing chicken with exit fees.
You know they need a good faith estimate to lure teams in, and right now there is haste to solidify the conference with the PAC competing with you for final spots.
Pretty risky and we could be looking at more fees by sticking around. Payouts will be less but exit fees are often the value of the remaining contract

Last edited:
Why would the conference have to be dissolve? In 2 years, is there an exit fees? Contract is over. UNLV can then decide to do what ever they want and what best for the school....with a boatload of $$$
CSU, SDSU, BSU, and FSU went to the PAC because they believe that namesake will help elevate their brand higher than than they could with the MWC. PAC turds have no contract because those schools left them and their contract is nulled and void. That is just histories. I am sure tomorrow will bring more news and excitements. USU can do whatever they want.
If I am UNLV, stay put.

UNLV needs to make a move soon, PAC could just move on and offer some other school and then UNLV will be back to square one. And I'm not willing to bet on UNLV football staying hot over the next two years and going to the B12.
We dont need to get to the Big12, we need to use the $$$ to take care of our FOOTBALL and BASKETBALL programs. Take care of Coach Odom and team first. Go to the CFP and win a game or two...beat Utah in the second round. lol

What happens when you stick around and the MW starts to finalize the next TV deal. You are playing chicken with exit fees.
You know they need a good faith estimate to lure teams in, and right now there is haste to solidify the conference with the PAC competing with you for final spots.
Pretty risky and we could be looking at more fees by sticking around. Layouts will be less but exit fees are often the vskue of the remaining contract
My guess... if our doom and gloom outlook media package is around CUSA, the buyout probably isn't that high. Not sure there's much to lure with other than you're now in MWC... but yeah for both conferences it's a mess and not pretty.. only thing with sticking with MW, we know Gloria, we get $$$, and we're the top revenue receiver for a few years...

UNLV needs to make a move soon, PAC could just move on and offer some other school and then UNLV will be back to square one. And I'm not willing to bet on UNLV football staying hot over the next two years and going to the B12.
I guess we aren't going to hear anything tonight. I can't believe we did what we did. We continue to hire dumb administrators. If the Pac12 gave us an invite and we turned it down for a few pieces of silver someone needs to get shit canned.

Was this article already posted here? It says that AF may also reconsider and is in close contact with UNLV. With AF reconsidering then maybe the other option is the AAC. Still we should take the Pac12 if it is offered.

Was this article already posted here? It says that AF may also reconsider and is in close contact with UNLV. With AF reconsidering then maybe the other option is the AAC. Still we should take the Pac12 if it is offered.

Not sure but it's the one I was alluding to.

Today? Maybe. After they go through their entire conference slate? That SOS is going to tank big time
Today? Maybe. After they go through their entire conference slate? That SOS is going to tank big time
Just looking at the fact James Madison struggled to beat lower division 1-3 Gardner-Webb tells me that the North Carolina win was a one off win!

Just looking at the fact James Madison struggled to beat lower division 1-3 Gardner-Webb tells me that the North Carolina win was a one off win!

I don't know, they were pretty good last year as well.

Teams have off weeks.

I mean Auburn lost to NMSU last year and the very next week gave Alabama all they could handle.

Per McMurphy’s latest report- Glad to hear some big donors were outraged!

However, Air Force and UNLV, the Pac-12’s next top two targets, decided to remain in the Mountain West.

Or did they? UNLV, which told the Mountain West it would remain, later decided it would consider its options after Utah State decided it would leave for the Pac-12.

Rebel donors were outraged by the decision to remain in the Mountain West, sources said.
Glad to hear it, staying in the MWC is an outrageously horrible but very UNLV like decision.

Reactions: RRebel
My guess... if our doom and gloom outlook media package is around CUSA, the buyout probably isn't that high. Not sure there's much to lure with other than you're now in MWC... but yeah for both conferences it's a mess and not pretty.. only thing with sticking with MW, we know Gloria, we get $$$, and we're the top revenue receiver for a few years...
True. Say our next contract is 3 mil for 5 years. So buyout could be 15 mil.
But look at our contract now. The exit feet is 17-18 mil for less than 2 years. We ain't making 9 milly a year, so it is safe to say that the exit fees will be juiced above the value of the contact.
Which brings me back to the exit fees. They are going to get negotiated down. And if you look at it, they seem excessive. 2 full years is less than 12 mil in terms of media rights. Historically they have been reduced to about 60%, but I can see these fees getting to 50% or even less.

Recruiting matters. If we are in the MWC/limbo, our recruiting drops and we lose good coaches.

TV matters so I'm pro-AAC. More exposure/eyeballs since we won't start all of our games at 10pm/11pm EST and miss out on >66% of the population wanting to watch us live.

CSU, SDSU, BSU, and FSU went to the PAC because they believe that namesake will help elevate their brand higher than than they could with the MWC. PAC turds have no contract because those schools left them and their contract is nulled and void. That is just histories. I am sure tomorrow will bring more news and excitements. USU can do whatever they want.
If I am UNLV, stay put.
The PAC has a contract ready to go. No one does this without having TV support behind them already. No one.
Those schools left because the MW has dead weight and they are primed to making twice the media money.
It may not end up being that much more, but It will be significantly more.
This is very similar to when the MW took it's best programs from the WAC to cut dead weight. Do we want to be in the leftover WAC?

The Pac2+ does. They literally JUST did this 18 months ago. They tried to renegotiate and get AZ, AQSU, CO, and UT to stay with a $40M TV deal that did not exist. As bad as we think the MWC and UNLV is run, the Pac is worse.
The incompetence of the PAC is my one big hangup. Their arrogance is a close 2nd. However, they now run the best G6 in the country with us added.

The Pac2+ does. They literally JUST did this 18 months ago. They tried to renegotiate and get AZ, AQSU, CO, and UT to stay with a $40M TV deal that did not exist. As bad as we think the MWC and UNLV is run, the Pac is worse.
This is part of the reasoning for why UNLV is hesitant to jump and why other programs also were hesitant to jump.. The Pac 12 leadership isnt trustworthy and havent been in a position of power or trust for years. Promising TV deals that dont exist, like how stupid are we going to feel if the annual payout is actually around 5-7 million dollars (rumored what new MWC deal wouldve been) and we just paid 18 million to play the same teams for the same money. The deal was made as a way for the new commissioner to save her job and create a name for herself. Gloria is a know entity, she might have her faults, but the ADs apparently trust her and what her interests are. The 4 that jumped ship didnt jump ship because TV deals alone, they did it because 2 have been trying to pretend their a P5 school for a decade jumping ship at the first rumor of finally joining that club and the other 2 because the name sounds cooler than the MWC...

They did have a confirmed 30 mil a year contract ready to go.
But at that point USC and Oregon, maybe the other 2, were talking to the B1G with 50+ mill per year on the table.
So they used the fact that the 30 mil/year wasn't good enough compared to other P5 leagues.
But that was just a way to stall and make it easier to leave.

Hear me out guys this isn't all bad.

Basketball is about to be good again. I mean with everybody out of the conference and only UNM to contend with.

Rebels should be dancing every year...
UNLV has every shot to dance if we get rid of the top half of the league, no doubt. Just have to avoid those upsets vs SJSU and Wyoming.

UNLV hoops can be back in a big way.

lol.

The complete dumbing down of fans will be complete.

Hear me out guys this isn't all bad.

Basketball is about to be good again. I mean with everybody out of the conference and only UNM to contend with.

Rebels should be dancing every year...
In reality though, CKK's contract runs out in 2 years, at the same time these schools would be leaving. So UNLV would have a big chunk of money coming in that they could use to go after a big name coach. UNLV was a power school for years while playing in the Big West. I know we're a long ways away from returning to glory years, but 30-40 million would sure help towards that.

Reactions: SilverSpoon
UNLV has every shot to dance if we get rid of the top half of the league, no doubt. Just have to avoid those upsets vs SJSU and Wyoming.

UNLV hoops can be back in a big way.

lol.

The complete dumbing down of fans will be complete.
We need idiots to fill the seats

In reality though, CKK's contract runs out in 2 years, at the same time these schools would be leaving. So UNLV would have a big chunk of money coming in that they could use to go after a big name coach. UNLV was a power school for years while playing in the Big West. I know we're a long ways away from returning to glory years, but 30-40 million would sure help towards that.

Is it 30 to 40 million though? I haven't seen any report stating what UNLV was getting.

I get what you're saying though.

Unless you have assurances from the BIG12 that you are next to join in 2 years, you absolutely cannot stay in the MWC. I do not care how much money you get the MWC is dead and will fade into CUSA status.

Heck why is the PAC even bothering with UNLV at this point. Why not just go grab NMSU and be done with it. Or NMSU and UTEP and have 9 teams.

The reason is they see how little they bring to the table.

But people somehow think UNLV sitting on a boatload of cash will be just fine joining up with those same CUSA teams.

Is it 30 to 40 million though? I haven't seen any report stating what UNLV was getting.

Unless you have assurances from the BIG12 that you are next to join in 2 years, you absolutely cannot stay in the MWC. I do not care how much money you get the MWC is dead and will fade into CUSA status.

Heck why is the PAC even bothering with UNLV at this point. Why not just go grab NMSU and be done with it. Or NMSU and UTEP and have 9 teams.

But people somehow think UNLV sitting on a boatload of cash will be just fine joining up with those same CUSA teams.
Yeah, I get it, that's why I'm saying it would be a risky move. The PAC is somewhat risky also, depending on how much they're offering UNLV to leave the MWC. Are they offering to pay the full exit fee and penalties? Supposedly they only offered $2.5 million to Memphis, Tulane, etc from the AAC. I haven't seen much stating what the offer has been to UNLV. So we potentially go from getting 30-40 million, plus the money from the current MWC media deal ($4-5 million/year), to jumping into the PAC at a cost of $18 million, plus possibly giving up some of the media money from the MWC (Not sure how that works exactly). So you'd be looking at about 45-60 million dollar 'cost', depending on how everything shakes out.

Reactions: TimothyC3
They did have a confirmed 30 mil a year contract ready to go.
But at that point USC and Oregon, maybe the other 2, were talking to the B1G with 50+ mill per year on the table.
So they used the fact that the 30 mil/year wasn't good enough compared to other P5 leagues.
But that was just a way to stall and make it easier to leave.
This was WELL after USC and UCLA had announced their Big10 invite/acceptance

The first thing I would do with all that money is immediately fire Kevin Kruger and ship him as far east as possible without becoming west

Why...
Because neither of those 2 programs is worth it for OSU and WSU and the 4 they sold on creating the best G5 conference in the West. They don't want to travel to El Paso and Las Cruces much like they didn't want to travel to Laramie or ABQ...
The reason why UNLV would be fine with it is the boat load of cash and a short term outlook with the P4 conversation being part of it.. if 10 million minimum guaranteed on top of fees from departures, you could potentially have 30 million in cash. That's a ton of money for a short term downgrade in schedule

Reactions: reagan21
Yeah, I get it, that's why I'm saying it would be a risky move. The PAC is somewhat risky also, depending on how much they're offering UNLV to leave the MWC. Are they offering to pay the full exit fee and penalties? Supposedly they only offered $2.5 million to Memphis, Tulane, etc from the AAC. I haven't seen much stating what the offer has been to UNLV. So we potentially go from getting 30-40 million, plus the money from the current MWC media deal ($4-5 million/year), to jumping into the PAC at a cost of $18 million, plus possibly giving up some of the media money from the MWC (Not sure how that works exactly). So you'd be looking at about 45-60 million dollar 'cost', depending on how everything shakes out.

There's risk either way. No argument there.

Maybe UNLV administration are the smart ones to hold out.

We won't know what the right decision was until 5 years down the road.

Reactions: reagan21
Why...
Because neither of those 2 programs is worth it for OSU and WSU and the 4 they sold on creating the best G5 conference in the West. They don't want to travel to El Paso and Las Cruces much like they didn't want to travel to Laramie or ABQ...
The reason why UNLV would be fine with it is the boat load of cash and a short term outlook with the P4 conversation being part of it.. if 10 million minimum guaranteed on top of fees from departures, you could potentially have 30 million in cash. That's a ton of money for a short term downgrade in schedule
I pretty much agree, and that's not the hydroxyzine talking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT