ADVERTISEMENT

Unlv & Air Force in contact w/AAC

This was WELL after USC and UCLA had announced their Big10 invite/acceptance
Correct. $30M per team offer from ESPN to the remaining 10 after FUSC and FUCLA announced. Thanks to Utah, we thought we were worth $50M and wanted to negotiate. ESPN said F-you, offered about the same to the Big-12 and they snapped it up.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Here's what I would do if I was the MWC. Force UNLV out as long as the PAC take 2 other teams. Take the money the PAC had just handed over and entice every team to come back before the 2026 season
Uno Reverse GIF by MOODMAN
with huge bonuses. Checkmate. That's how much money we're talking. I kid, but this isn't just exit and poaching fees. It's tournament invites, bowl appearances, etc... A ton of money these schools are passing up.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Correct. $30M per team offer from ESPN to the remaining 10 after FUSC and FUCLA announced. Thanks to Utah, we thought we were worth $50M and wanted to negotiate. ESPN said F-you, offered about the same to the Big-12 and they snapped it up.
This guy knows.

***as a side note, as a fellow fan of school X but a presence on message board of school Y I appreciate your insights and comments.

Why...
Because neither of those 2 programs is worth it for OSU and WSU and the 4 they sold on creating the best G5 conference in the West. They don't want to travel to El Paso and Las Cruces much like they didn't want to travel to Laramie or ABQ...
The reason why UNLV would be fine with it is the boat load of cash and a short term outlook with the P4 conversation being part of it.. if 10 million minimum guaranteed on top of fees from departures, you could potentially have 30 million in cash. That's a ton of money for a short term downgrade in schedule

Do you know without a doubt that the BIG12 is going to come calling?

If so by all means take the money and wait it out.

If not we are joining a conference with teams you yourself have just said aren't worth it for the PAC to add. And could be stuck there because the BIG12 doesn't come knocking.

There is risk in this either way.

Do you know without a doubt that the BIG12 is going to come calling?

If so by all means take the money and wait it out.

If not we are joining a conference with teams you yourself have just said aren't worth it for the PAC to add.

There is risk in this either way.

What's stopping the BIG 12 from just grabbing Memphis and Tulane instead of us in a few years?
My guess would be a 2for... Us and Memphis- UCONN and Gonzaga basketball only... I don't think Tulane carries the profile UNLV and Memphis do. Their football program outside the past few years is similarly mediocre to bad and their basketball program is worse than ours...

Nothing will get the fans fired up more than a home conference slate of Tarelton State, UTEP, New Mexico State, and New Mexico!

Also staying in Conference USA… oops I mean Mountain West does not necessarily give us an easier path to the CFP. If it’s even remotely close the committee will take a team from the PAC or even AAC before UNLV and the MW.

My guess would be a 2for... Us and Memphis- UCONN and Gonzaga basketball only... I don't think Tulane carries the profile UNLV and Memphis do. Their football program outside the past few years is similarly mediocre to bad and their basketball program is worse than ours...

That's my point.

Yes move to PAC is risky, because of unknowns.

No argument.

But

So is assuming that an invite is inevitable.

Because if it doesn't come....

All this momentum we've gained under Odom is done if stuck in some CUSA/MWC hybrid.

This was WELL after USC and UCLA had announced their Big10 invite/acceptance

Fair enough, but that is actually more impressive if you think about it. 30 mil a team without the LA teams?

They counted with 50 because Oregon and UW knew they were next and that was their price for staying.

Nothing will get the fans fired up more than a home conference slate of Tarelton State, UTEP, New Mexico State, and New Mexico!

Also staying in Conference USA… oops I mean Mountain West does not necessarily give us an easier path to the CFP. If it’s even remotely close the committee will take a team from the PAC or even AAC before UNLV and the MW.

How dare you insult the Plowboys of Tarelton State...And yes that is one of their nicknames.

• Haha
Reactions: dcut03 and RRebel
If UNLV signs a GOR rights (To collect this money) would they then be locked into the MWC for a certain length of time?

Gloria's not handing UNLV 30 million dollars to jump ship in two years.
You can't grant your rights to someone/thing longer than the contract. Once the contract lapses, the rights are no longer delegable. Therefore......

Bull, can you feel it? The PAC tried to do a dirty against the remaining MWC by getting enough votes to dissolve it. Feel the negotiation going on between the AAC and MWC?

That's my point.

Yes move to PAC is risky, because of unknowns.

No argument.

But

So is assuming that an invite is inevitable.

Because if it doesn't come....

All this momentum we've gained under Odom is done if stuck in some CUSA/MWC hybrid.
Yes, but what if the Pac 12 $$ is a load of BS and what you get is essentially the same $$ and MWC schedule but at 18 million dollar cost, plus you get locked in with exit fees that definitely cost you a chance at the Big 12 in 5 years... because you know the Pac isn't going to just let teams walk away when next P4 alignment happens

Lol... What a bunch of chicken S****... and you all want to join up with this group that only survives due to lawsuits over leadership...

The CFP won't matter because no way Odom stays to coach games against teams that just emerged out of D2.

UNLV will stick around in the MWC playing FCS teams and then get pennies on the dollar of what they thought they were going to get after this lawsuit.

Yes, but what if the Pac 12 $$ is a load of BS and what you get is essentially the same $$ and MWC schedule but at 18 million dollar cost, plus you get locked in with exit fees that definitely cost you a chance at the Big 12 in 5 years... because you know the Pac isn't going to just let teams walk away when next P4 alignment happens

It very well might be equal to just current MWC deal.

But MWC media deal will also decrease next go around. Some of any money UNLV receives will be eaten up by that shortfall.

MWC isn't going to hand UNLV millions of dollars without some guarantees they will be staying beyond current media deal.

They aren't giving them 30 million dollars to say peace out in two years.

So aren't you in the same boat kinda.

UNLV would then have to draw out of this money they received to pay that exit fee if the BIG12 came calling right?

All of it sucks.

Reactions: RRebel
Pac2+ signs contract with poaching fees.

Pac2+ sues MWC saying the poaching fee provisions are unenforceable.

Ok. I'm not that good of a lawyer and I could successfully defend that lawsuit with a typewriter and Nokia 5165.

Last edited:
Not sure if that's true though. Ultimately, all of the schools being discussed want to find a way into the P4. Ideally, they would like the PAC to be considered a power conference again, but I'm not sure that will be the case. I don't know who decides that either. But if the B1G said, you know what, we want to add WSU and OSU to the conference to expand the footprint in the NW, you don't think that OSU/WSU would want a way out? I'm not saying that's going to happen, but just that, like us, they think highly of themselves and want to have options for the best future of their school in the future.

The PAC is feeling a bit feisty. No way they win this one. The contract gave them an option to merge and pay nothing. Ten months ago they signed this scheduling agreement. They need to own it.
That was before this new commissioner and her whole thing has been the previous Pac 12 commissioner wasn't doing his due diligence to the Pac 2 teams by signing that agreement. But I agree, she wants to blow up her competition instead of merging and when they said no and please pay us, she's saying agreement isn't tenable or fair.. the whole point was to keep this BS from happening in the first place so good luck..

I don't think they will get out of the poaching fees, but I do think the exit fees will get drastically reduced.
17-18 mil for a 5-6 mil per team payout with less than 2 years left? How does that work.
PAC 12 exiters only techinically paid half of their exit fees, + 1.5 mil per team just because the left the final 2 in such dire straights. The MW are screwed, but not down to 2 teams screwed, yet.

The exit fees aren't at issue. The Pac2 has NOTHING to do with the them. They are between the school members and the MWC. The Pac2 wouldn't have standing to ask a court to make a provision between "the 4" and the MWC unenforceable. The 4 would have to sue since they are the potentially injured parties.

However, this lawsuit was brought by the Temu12. The provisions at issue are the Poaching Fees from a contract the Pac2 (and its 2 remaining members) entered with the MWC. Temu12 would have standing in this lawsuit. Pac are asking a court to not enforce the poaching provisions on the grounds the MWC is already being compensated enough by the $17M exit fees. That's dumb. The MWC and its members all signed the contract to remain in the conference for a specific amount of time. If they left, they pay a fine. Easy.

However, the Pac2 entered into a separate contract with the MWC to have Wazzu and the Beavs play their member schools for one season. Part of that contract was to discourage the Pac2 from poaching its members after the contract was done. The Pac2 agreed to pay $10M, $11M, $12M etc for each school it poached. That penalty may have protected the same outcome (i.e., money to MWX for losing its members) as the exit fees, but it protected against a different action from a different party (i.e. entering a contract with schools giving them an opportunity to lure them away to the Pac). The Pac2 assisted in the drafting of the contract, with their team of lawyers. They are a sophisticated party and will get little sympathy from a judge.

- Texted from a Nokia 5165

Last edited:
Reactions: dcut03
Pac2+ signs contract with poaching fees.

Pac2+ sues MWC saying the poaching fee provisions are unenforceable.

Ok. I'm not that good of a lawyer and I could successfully defend that lawsuit with a typewriter and Nokia 5165.
I’m sure you’re a tremendous lawyer…

But with this many millions on the line you can bet both sides are hire really expensive lawyers.

An article I read had the quote from someone that “Billable hours are the #1 seed in conference realignment” and that stuck with me. The PAC2 can afford prolonged litigation that the MW cannot.

That comes into play big time.

As for UNLV I think they have a case separate from the traitor 4, and even Utah State, against having to pay the exit fee due to conference viability and survival. Multiple angles to be played there.

The exit fees aren't at issue. The Pac2 has NOTHING to do with the them. They are between the school members and the MWC. The Pac2 wouldn't have standing to ask a court to make a provision between "the 4" and the MWC unenforceable. The 4 would have to sue since they are the potentially injured parties.

However, this lawsuit was brought by the Temu12. The provisions at issue are the Poaching Fees from a contract the Pac2 (and its 2 remaining members) entered with the MWC. Temu12 would have standing to ask a court to not enforce these provisions since the MWC is already being compensated enough by the $17M exit fees. That's dumb. The MWC and its members all signed the contract to remain in the conference for a specific amount of time. If they left, they pay a fine. Easy.

However, the Pac2 entered into a separate contract with the MWC to have Wazzu and the Beavs play their member schools for one season. Part of that contract was to discourage the Pac2 from poaching its members after the contract was done. The Pac2 agreed to pay $10M, $11M, $12M etc for each school it poached. That penalty protected may have protected the same outcome as the exit fees, but it protected against a different action from a different party. The Pac2 assisted in the drafting of the contract, with their team of lawyers. They are a sophisticated party and will get little sympathy from a judge.

But it does tie up the money that Gloria is promising UNLV and AFA until it is settled though right?

Reactions: oneepstein
The PAC is feeling a bit feisty. No way they win this one. The contract gave them an option to merge and pay nothing. Ten months ago they signed this scheduling agreement. They need to own it.
They know they will pay. They are just delaying.

However, this lawsuit was brought by the Temu12. The provisions at issue are the Poaching Fees from a contract the Pac2 (and its 2 remaining members) entered with the MWC. Temu12 would have standing in this lawsuit. Pac are asking a court to not enforce the poaching provisions on the grounds the MWC is already being compensated enough by the $17M exit fees. That's dumb. The MWC and its members all signed the contract to remain in the conference for a specific amount of time. If they left, they pay a fine. Easy.

However, the Pac2 entered into a separate contract with the MWC to have Wazzu and the Beavs play their member schools for one season. Part of that contract was to discourage the Pac2 from poaching its members after the contract was done. The Pac2 agreed to pay $10M, $11M, $12M etc for each school it poached. That penalty may have protected the same outcome (i.e., money to MWX for losing its members) as the exit fees, but it protected against a different action from a different party (i.e. entering a contract with schools giving them an opportunity to lure them away to the Pac). The Pac2 assisted in the drafting of the contract, with their team of lawyers. They are a sophisticated party and will get little sympathy from a judge.

They probably filed the case in that little town of Colfax, WA. In the little tiny courthouse with a judge that lives a few short miles from Washington State University. And, he pretty much set up the Pac-2 with control of the conference and all the money. Gloria doesn't stand a chance. Just kidding.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I’m sure you’re a tremendous lawyer…

But with this many millions on the line you can bet both sides are hire really expensive lawyers.

An article I read had the quote from someone that “Billable hours are the #1 seed in conference realignment” and that stuck with me. The PAC2 can afford prolonged litigation that the MW cannot.

That comes into play big time.

As for UNLV I think they have a case separate from the traitor 4, and even Utah State, against having to pay the exit fee due to conference viability and survival. Multiple angles to be played there.
Contract Law with a lawsuit regarding enforceability may cost a lot of money in attorney fees, but is not that difficult. The lawsuit in question does not seek money damages. It is what is called "declaratory relief." They just ask a judge to "say something." For example, they sue asking a judge to determine a certain provision is enforceable or that a contract exists. We know a contract exists because the complaint even admits as much.

They will present evidence to show why it shouldn't be enforceable. Namely "the MWC is already being compensated by the departure of their 5 schools." However, that $17M is to discourage the school from leaving and was a contract between the members schools of the MWC and the MWC. The poaching fees were a provision between the MWC and the Pac2. That provision was to discourage poaching and the Pac2 decided to poach. The end. Pac 2 knowingly entered into a contract they assisted in drafting. The 4 corners of the contract says "XYZ" so the contract shall enforce XYZ.

There is a possibility a judge says the provision is enforceable but that amount is excessive, I guess.

***EDIT The complaint says the provision should not be enforceable because the Pac2 was under duress and the MWC knew they needed games so they were forced into the contract. "Your honor, our ADs and Commissioner holding assets of $260M were forced into this contract. We didn't have a choice!!!!!!!!! We're just helpless schools who the big bad MWC forced into this contract. We can pay it, but we don't wanna because they made us do it."

Big problem with that argument. Duress is a defense to the formation of a contract not to its enforceability. So if they were under duress, they would be saying the contract wasn't even formed. This is a delay tactic and the complaint was filed with the hopes the MWC and Pac7 can mediate the fees to a lower amount. There is a VERY small chance they'd win in court with this complaint.

Last edited:
Reactions: oneepstein
They probably filed the case in that little town of Colfax, WA. In the little tiny courthouse with a judge that lives a few short miles from Washington State University. And, he pretty much set up the Pac-2 with control of the conference and all the money. Gloria doesn't stand a chance. Just kidding.
Don't forget that the judge is a WSU grad. Although he is retiring at the end of this year. To be replaced by a Pullman attorney TBD.

Oh and Meister, my board is now quoting you as a credible source that your traitors will still have a vote towards dissolution. Congratulations.

Whether you others can post there or not it is worth a laugh to read some of the posts over on my board. Basically I am the village idiot over there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meister_Rebel
It has to be in Federal Court since.....not enough time to explain.

Don't forget that the judge is a WSU grad. Although he is retiring at the end of this year. To be replaced by a Pullman attorney TBD.

Oh and Meister, my board is now quoting you as a crredible source that your tritors will still have a vote towards dissolution. Congratulations.

Whether you others can post there or not it is worth a laugh to read some of the posts over on my board. Basically I am the village idiot over there.
lol. I've got to go back and read what I wrote.

Oh and Meister, my board is now quoting you as a crredible source that your tritors will still have a vote towards dissolution. Congratulations.

In the end, I feel UNLV ends up in the Pac12....but I'd rather sit on a mountain of cash and wait for 2 years

It wasn't quoting me. It was quoting the article that I linked. The place is funny.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT