ADVERTISEMENT

Unlv & Air Force in contact w/AAC

I don’t understand why they didn’t just invite enough teams to dissolve the conference to begin with and pay zero exit fees and keep well over $100MM.

Because I honestly believe the talks with Memphis started months and months ago. Memphis played the PAC saying if we go USF, Tulane, UTSA will follow. PAC now thinking they are about to build a really strong conference, they don't need MWC bottom feeders.

All the while Memphis and company are leveraging AAC with PAC to get better deal never intending to leave.

We aren’t taking less in my opinion. We can still make more short term in the MWC. The PAC needs us to save face. Utah St doesn’t come close to doing that and once you get past the other schools that were committed to stay (SJSU and AFA) then it gets really slim.

Game of chess. There are 3 players in this game. UNLV, fudge PAC'ers, and the MWC. We will see how it transpires soon enough.

No I just don't want to be watching Sam Houston State and Sacramento State.
Don’t think it comes to that honestly, but will see. Also don’t think that the PAC are THAT much better that it makes a difference really. Especially if Air Force, San Jose and Wyoming stay. All have had success are good programs in my opinion.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Don’t think it comes to that honestly, but will see. Also don’t think that the PAC are THAT much better that it makes a difference really. Especially if Air Force, San Jose and Wyoming stay. All have had success are good programs in my opinion.
San Jose made a great hire after a great hire. Love their new coach.

We have 7 teams. They have 7.

Bidding war for what's out there.

Have to take AAC schools out of consideration.

I'm asking this not as an ass generally curious who are you poaching to rebuild? It's really lean.

Reactions: pdt118

I'm asking this not as an ass generally curious who are you poaching to rebuild? It's really lean.
Who are they poaching? The whole goal of their conference was to cut dead weight. Adding CUSA teams defeats that purpose entirely. Adding MWC low tier also defeats that. The MW has options, not like for like, but it's alot easier to add programs and offer lower revenue shares than it is to buy ourselves out and take lower revenue shares...

I don’t understand why they didn’t just invite enough teams to dissolve the conference to begin with and pay zero exit fees and keep well over $100MM.
I don’t think they want to invite enough schools to dissolve it, but may need to. Even if Hawaii, Reno, New Mexico and Wyoming stay, they could just add a bunch of crap teams using all of the exit fee money to do so and cash in as well.

100%
If they take UNLV and call it quits for now, it's not comparison who has the better conference.
Add in the potential for Gonzaga maybe St. Mary's. Super solid.
Who is left to pick up? NMSU and UTEP and FCS schools.

There was also that one idea of the PAC paying the remaining MW teams a flat 20 mil to dissolve. It would save the PAC money and the MW schools would net more than staying together.
They would lose their name, but still create a new conference.
Interesting idea and kinds cold blooded, but a bit of a win win

Just for shit and giggles: The Dakotas and the Montanas are 4 schools. Grand Canyon is flush of money. Some possibilities.

*EDIT: RE SJSU
They have been very solid in football even winning the conference. But their attendance is still balls. They have no market penetration and adding them was ultimately a mistake. At least in terms of contract negotiations

Last edited:

Not sure. I’d probably do Texas St and either New Mexico St or UTEP. Or I’d ask the Dakotas to move up (they at least have a name brand). I know it’s not as exciting, but i don’t think it’s that terrible either. Especially if it’s short term. Get more easier wins, plus a few conference head liners, hopefully build prestige somewhat and become more desirable. At the end of the day, The PAC is currently in the same exact position. Who are they adding?

Reactions: RebelinWA
Who are they poaching? The whole goal of their conference was to cut dead weight. Adding CUSA teams defeats that purpose entirely. Adding MWC low tier also defeats that. The MW has options, not like for like, but it's alot easier to add programs and offer lower revenue shares than it is to buy ourselves out and take lower revenue shares...

Exactly. We are now in the same boat.

Honest question which conference is better as it stands.

I don't think it's particularly close.

Basketball edge them.

Football edge them.

I do not want to be stuck in a lesser conference. I just don't.

We can't pretend that Boise isn't top dog. Or that OSU/WSU aren't better than anybody we have. Fresno better than anybody we have.

SDSU is down sure. But we aren't that far removed from them being really good. No reason to believe they can't reclaim that.

You just crapped on Wyoming yesterday saying they were a horrible option for the PAC, but you're cool being stuck in the same conference with them?

I don't look at it like they are just the same as the old MWC because it's a lot of the same members, it's more like getting demoted from the MWC to a worse one.

Last edited:
Just for shit and giggles: The Dakotas and the Montanas are 4 schools. Grand Canyon is flush of money. Some possibilities.
The Dakotas and the Montanas are 5 mil a piece just to move up in divisions. They probably have exit fees too but probably minimal. Then there are the stipulations of having the facilities and the teams to be full members. They may need more cash to be FBS eligible.
NMSU and UTEP will be the first 2 new MW members.

The Dakotas and the Montanas are 5 mil a piece just to move up in divisions. They probably have exit fees too but probably minimal. Then there are the stipulations of having the facilities and the teams to be full members. They may need more cash to be FBS eligible.

And that's if they even see true value in leaving. What if MWC helped pay exit fee for them, is there actually value or a realistic return on investment with any of them considering where we are now.

I love my Rebs but seriously if a team with 1 year of football success in the last 20 regardless of its potential, is your flagship football program it's kind of a problem.

Exactly. We are now in the same boat.

Honest question which conference is better as it stands.

I don't think it's particularly close.

Basketball edge them.

Football edge them.

I do not want to be stuck in a lesser conference. I just don't.

We can't pretend that Boise isn't top dog. Or that OSU/WSU aren't better than anybody we have. Fresno better than anybody we have.

SDSU is down sure. But we aren't that far removed from them being really good. No reason to believe. they can't reclaim that.

You just crapped on Wyoming yesterday but your cool being stuck in the same conference with them?

I don't look at it like they are just the same as the MWC because it's a lot of the same members, it's more like getting demoted from the MWC to a worse one.
I do understand your point, and yes, top to bottom the PAC is better. But is it that much better? I think you you basically have to go undefeated in either conference to make the playoffs. To look at your question a different way, which one does that easier? A couple of playoff appearances would certainly make UNLV more appealing to the BIG 12 or even potentially the ACC. I personally don’t see the difference between the PAC and MWC as being that much different. I think we could still recruit the same players we are getting now and be just as good. Only my opinion of course.

And that's if they even see true value in leaving. What if MWC helped pay exit fee for them, is there actually value or a realistic return on investment with any of them considering where we are now.

I love my Rebs but seriously if a team with 1 year of football success in the last 20 regardless of its potential, is your flagship football program it's kind of a problem.
And the travel will suck. All of the regional MW teams that it would be less sucky are leaving

I do understand your point, and yes, top to bottom the PAC is better. But is it that much better? I think you you basically have to go undefeated in either conference to make the playoffs. To look at your question a different way, which one does that easier? A couple of playoff appearances would certainly make UNLV more appealing to the BIG 12 or even potentially the ACC. I personally don’t see the difference between the PAC and MWC as being that much different. I think we could still recruit the same players we are getting now and be just as good. Only my opinion of course.
I disagree.
The new PAC will be like the MW is this year. Strong enough to lose a game or two and still be in the driver's seat for the playoff.
The leftover MW just became the CUSA maybe slightly better. Much harder to withstand a loss

There was also that one idea of the PAC paying the remaining MW teams a flat 20 mil to dissolve. It would save the PAC money and the MW schools would net more than staying together.
They would lose their name, but still create a new conference.
Interesting idea and kinds cold blooded, but a bit of a win win
They’re at 7… have to have 8… but REALLY need 10 for scheduling and ability to have championship game. Who realistically are you going to get to fill those 3 spots? The only teams that make sense are MW teams. UNLV, AFA, and UNM? SJSU? Hawaii (football only)?

Now add Gonzaga and/maybe St Marys and offer the remaining MW teams $20 mil each to go away.

They’re at 7… have to have 8… but REALLY need 10 for scheduling and ability to have championship game. Who realistically are you going to get to fill those 3 spots? The only teams that make sense are MW teams. UNLV, AFA, and UNM? SJSU? Hawaii (football only)?

Now add Gonzaga and/maybe St Marys and offer the remaining MW teams $20 mil each to go away.

The problem is with both at 7 it's a bidding war to fill the ranks.

Reactions: oneepstein
You taste in uniform is crap but I can agree with that assessment.

• Haha
Reactions: dcut03
I disagree.
The new PAC will be like the MW is this year. Strong enough to lose a game or two and still be in the driver's seat for the playoff.
The leftover MW just became the CUSA maybe slightly better. Much harder to withstand a loss
You’re only in the driver’s seat if other champions don’t go undefeated. Do you think a 1 or 2 loss UNLV gets in over James Madison if they go undefeated? I don’t think they would. Apples to Apples I’m choosing the PAC over the MWC hands down. Just not sure it’s that easy.

I disagree.
I would just be harder for the bottom team to climb higher. If they get enough resources, they will climb eventually assuming they at least try. Then the entire conference become better. That can take a long time, though.

Remember, everyone within the MWC membership now have 21 months or less than 2 years to fulfilled their contract. After that, each school can decides to go their separate ways. Why would you want to locked yourself to a conference like the Fudge PAC'ers 12?

You’re only in the driver’s seat if other champions don’t go undefeated. Do you think a 1 or 2 loss UNLV gets in over James Madison if they go undefeated? I don’t think they would. Apples to Apples I’m choosing the PAC over the MWC hands down. Just not sure it’s that easy.
100% yes I do.
Last year was an anomaly since the best G5 teams all had multiple losses.
Hell UNLV last year with a weak ass schedule still were a contender to make the playoff if they beat SJSU and then Boise in the championship game. That was with 2 losses.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
100% yes I do.
Last year was an anomaly since the best G5 teams all had multiple losses.
Hell UNLV last year with a weak ass schedule still were a contender to make the playoff if they beat SJSU and then Boise in the championship game. That was with 2 losses.
Interesting. I, respectfully, disagree. James Madison just beat North Carolina by 20 points. I think if the committee were to rank G5 teams today, they would be ahead of us. Certainly could be wrong though.

Per McMurphy’s latest report- Glad to hear some big donors were outraged!

However, Air Force and UNLV, the Pac-12’s next top two targets, decided to remain in the Mountain West.

Or did they? UNLV, which told the Mountain West it would remain, later decided it would consider its options after Utah State decided it would leave for the Pac-12.

Rebel donors were outraged by the decision to remain in the Mountain West, sources said.

Interesting. I, respectfully, disagree. James Madison just beat North Carolina by 20 points. I think if the committee were to rank G5 teams today, they would be ahead of us. Certainly could be wrong though.
Today? Maybe. After they go through their entire conference slate? That SOS is going to tank big time

Hmmm, that is a tough one. Two wins versus P4 teams at their prime and on their fields. While JMU beat a team with a coach who thought about retirement. Mack Brown may not survive the season.
I think Coach O and UNLV broke UH and KU hymen membrane. I just hope they would recover.

Last edited:
UNC has been very good in recent years. Right now that win looks much better than Kansas. But with our remaining schedule and their remaining schedule we could lose 1 maybe 2 and still rank higher than JMU in the playoff rankings

I think UNLV is trying to drag this out. The PAC are ansy with good reason. If and that isna big if UNLV keeps winning our value goes up and our Big 12 potential goes up as well. Unlikely yes, but I do think it remains in play.
USU jumping today kinda screws that idea. We probably can't afford to wait too long if the PAC is one team away.
Honestly the MW trying to force the agreement probably sped everything else.

UNC has been very good in recent years. Right now that win looks much better than Kansas. But with our remaining schedule and their remaining schedule we could lose 1 maybe 2 and still rank higher than JMU in the playoff rankings
He got Drake Mayes as his QB1? Mack nearly retired today. He left it up to his players to decide.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT