ADVERTISEMENT

Unlv & Air Force in contact w/AAC

I take that to mean our commissioner is calling UNLV and offering a kings ransom for us to call everyone else and tell them we're sticking around.

Pretty much how I read it...Wouldn't be surprised if Utah State wasn't part of that discussion as well.

I hadn't ever thought about AAC adding UNLV and AF as a way to entice Memphis and Tulane to stay.

There is a ton of maneuvering right now for sure.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I still don't believe the Pac will call our number if they get Memphis and Tulane. If anything they will get more schools from Central to East Coast. They are just playing us in hopes we and AF try and convince Memphis and Tulane to stay in the AAC. That is where our focus should be. Travel costs be damned. Go where we are wanted. Mr. Harper get on the phone with Memphis and Tulane.

My new updated what I hope happens rankings.

1- Pac negotiations implode and they all have to come crawling back.

2- UNLV joins PAC with USU

3- AAC out maneuvers PAC brings in UNLV and AF and Tulane and Memphis stay. PAC left scrambling.

4- Everything else would suck.

Pretty much how I read it...Wouldn't be surprised if Utah State wasn't part of that discussion as well.

I hadn't ever thought about AAC adding UNLV and AF as a way to entice Memphis and Tulane to stay.

So here's a what if...
Glory calls and offers 30% of the departure fees collected to UNLV, an increased revenue share to say 5 million per year, with a 5 year commitment(ie- 5 year penalties to leave, after 5 none) to help build conference back to stay... do you take that?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
So here's a what if...
Glory calls and offers 30% of the departure fees collected to UNLV, an increased revenue share to say 5 million per year, with a 5 year commitment(ie- 5 year penalties to leave, after 5 none) to help build conference back to stay... do you take that?

Man....

That's honestly a tough call...Because if I turn down the PAC they may just move on and grab somebody else further weakening the conference.

It's not even my call and I feel like I need to sleep on it. 🙂

So here's a what if...

What makes this tough is the uncertainty of who's staying and who's going.

I'd have to know who else from current MWC is sticking it out.

Figure AFA not likely sticking around.

I'm down to 7 now.

Need 5 to rebuild.

Ok if I'm building with 7 I'm thinking I probably take the money and do everything possible with it to get a BIG12 invite in 5 years.

If it's 6 because USU took the PAC12 offer I think I'm taking a PAC12 offer as well if its there.

I just think the conference would be so watered down at that point I'd damn near have to run the table every year to even hope for a CFP birth. I'd have to schedule way up in OOC (No more FCS opponents) to compensate for weak in conference schedule.

But that is a boatload load of money to turn down.

Surprised the PAC doesn't prioritize Army, Navy and AFA. Add Memphis, USF, UAB/Tulane, UNM, and UNLV. Ultimately Killing the MWC and all costs associated and watering down the AAC so bad that CUSA would giggle. Then you got your got your $10mil/per school media package with ease and with 14 schools. CSU would have to join the east side with AFA. 7v7

If I was the PAC, my first order of biz would be to destroy the MWC. Adding AF, UNLV and UNM could do it.

What am I missing?

So here's a what if...
Nope

Read this article some really interesting stuff. Some new angles..

I had read that as well yeah that is definitely no on the grant of rights. If the new PAC is expecting $ similar to what the AAC already gets I would negotiate with them which would likely keep Memphis and Tulane in that conference maybe add two more MWC schools and let the PAC scramble. If the $ are the same we don't need the PAC if they don't want to pay our departure fees.

So here's a what if...
Creative for sure, I just can’t see the rest of the schools agreeing to hand UNLV that big of a chunk of cash… I mean it would be funny to be public enemy number 1 to every other MW schools fans though lol.

The other thing though is I’m not sure the MW is actually going to get all of that money. One of the articles posted yesterday I read had a quote from someone that stated basically that “the #1 seed in college realignment is “billable hours””…

The war chest the PAC 2 are using to buy teams far outweighs that of the MW… they can use a big chunk to pay for lawyers the MW can’t. Any payments will get delayed years, and by then who the hell knows what’s what anymore?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1

If Memphis and Tulane agree to stay with AF & UNLV the AAC should consider taking UNM and one other school. The other school doesn't necessarily have to be a MWC school.

What makes this tough is the uncertainty of who's staying and who's going.

I'd have to know who else from current MWC is sticking it out.

Figure AFA not likely sticking around.

I'm down to 7 now.

Need 5 to rebuild.

Ok if I'm building with 7 I'm thinking I probably take the money and do everything possible with it to get a BIG12 invite in 5 years.

If it's 6 because USU took the PAC12 offer I think I'm taking a PAC12 offer as well if its there.

I just think the conference would be so watered down at that point I'd damn near have to run the table every year to even hope for a CFP birth. I'd have to schedule way up in OOC (No more FCS opponents) to compensate for weak in conference schedule.

But that is a boatload load of money to turn down.
Does AFA get their funding from the Defense Department or through some other mechanism? If it's DOD would they need congressional approval to move?

If Memphis and Tulane agree to stay with AF & UNLV the AAC should consider taking UNM and one other school. The other school doesn't necessarily have to be a MWC school.
I agree four is a good number. Would those four votes be enough to dissolve the conference and avoid paying a departure fee?

Surprised the PAC doesn't prioritize Army, Navy and AFA. Add Memphis, USF, UAB/Tulane, UNM, and UNLV. Ultimately Killing the MWC and all costs associated and watering down the AAC so bad that CUSA would giggle. Then you got your got your $10mil/per school media package with ease and with 14 schools. CSU would have to join the east side with AFA. 7v7

If I was the PAC, my first order of biz would be to destroy the MWC. Adding AF, UNLV and UNM could do it.

What am I missing?
that there are a few programs in that group of 6 that dont want to see UNLV elevated. Also they dont want UNM. Also there is the question of who pays the fees for the next group- does the Pac 12 give up its massive War chest to the MWC in departure and poaching fees or do the next 4 programs pay their own way... If thats the case, none of those schools have the 18 million required.

So here's a what if...
If you read the thread of the tweet, he's describing exactly what I said here... So Which one of you is the MWC commissioner?

If you read the thread of the tweet, he's describing exactly what I said here... So Which one of you is the MWC commissioner?
I will say this, I wanted to barf listening to our Commissioner during the SJSU game drooling over our poaching. Wow Teresa, you just threw a shitload of our money (how much TBD) out the window to get 4 schools. You aren't done yet. How's our 2025 schedule looking? How is it going to look if all the chatter above comes true and the Pac-2 is left hanging?

I am very nervous right now.

I will say this, I wanted to barf listening to our Commissioner during the SJSU game drooling over our poaching. Wow Teresa, you just threw a shitload of our money (how much TBD) out the window to get 4 schools. You aren't done yet. How's our 2025 schedule looking? How is it going to look if all the chatter above comes true and the Pac-2 is left hanging?

You guys will be alright. I'm just hoping we can convince Memphis and Tulane to stay in the AAC so we can join them there.

If you cant get the AAC teams to flip and you cant get the top MWC markets to flip, you guys are going to be in real trouble... you either have to undo all these efforts and come back on knees to MWC and still pay a kings ransom to do so, or settle for what CUSA teams? lower tier MW teams, at which point, I cant see that TV deal being any better than what MWC ends up with... and the MWC commissioner is going to take the fees for departing teams and request money to join... It might not be pretty and will certainly end up in litigation while we should be working towards a top tier G5 TV deal..

If you cant get the AAC teams to flip and you cant get the top MWC markets to flip, you guys are going to be in real trouble... you either have to undo all these efforts and come back on knees to MWC and still pay a kings ransom to do so, or settle for what CUSA teams? lower tier MW teams, at which point, I cant see that TV deal being any better than what MWC ends up with... and the MWC commissioner is going to take the fees for departing teams and request money to join... It might not be pretty and will certainly end up in litigation while we should be working towards a top tier G5 TV deal..
Real trouble? No. World of shit? Yes.

Huge, news coming out of the Pac 12/AAC realignment news!
Yeah, this is probably NOT what the new PAC was expecting. If true, and they aren't able to get those schools, you'd think that it will lower the estimated new PAC contract, which they must have been selling the the MWC4 that left. So now, you're at 6. What are you going to do?

Yeah, this is probably NOT what the new PAC was expecting. If true, and they aren't able to get those schools, you'd think that it will lower the estimated new PAC contract, which they must have been selling the the MWC4 that left. So now, you're at 6. What are you going to do?
It should have been what they were expecting (if true). I've been hearing this since the beginning. It made sense for Memphis and Tulane to listen, but their sights are set on Big12 or ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT