ADVERTISEMENT

Unlv & Air Force in contact w/AAC

It should have been what they were expecting (if true). I've been hearing this since the beginning. It made sense for Memphis and Tulane to listen, but their sights are set on Big12 or ACC.
Possibly. But even if so, it certainly lowers any amount of leverage that the new PAC has with regards to inviting new schools. If all of the other schools really wanted to screw over these 6, they could. I don't think that's how it will shake out, but it's not likely that UNLV or any other schools will take a smaller slice of the pie, if that's what the PAC comes in offering.

Possibly. But even if so, it certainly lowers any amount of leverage that the new PAC has with regards to inviting new schools. If all of the other schools really wanted to screw over these 6, they could. I don't think that's how it will shake out, but it's not likely that UNLV or any other schools will take a smaller slice of the pie, if that's what the PAC comes in offering.
100%. Pac2 + 4 traitors have lost ALL leverage. They are the entity in need at this point. Will only have 6. Need to get to 8. No TV deal. No Memphis (for now). No Tulane (for now).

UTSA a no also. I know I am a broken record, but the PAC is not a respected brand.

wow, this is definitely not what I expected. Of all of those teams, they seemed like the sure thing to go, assuming they were being offered equal revenue sharing. But, I'd guess, that they were only offered a partial share for now.

Real trouble? No. World of shit? Yes.
So you strike out on the AAC targets. You HAVE to get UNLV on board asap or you’re cooked. UNLV to the PAC and Air Force to the AAC would break any chance of MWC being a threat to the PAC.

UNLV and Texas State (from the sunbelt) to get you to 8 would not be the worst thing. You could always circle back to the AAC in a couple years if the ACC hits the AAC for a school or two in the future.

IF the invitations are truly rebuffed (and I hate talking about it for fear of it getting jinxed), is it the worst thing in the world to just dissolve/merge under the PAC name?

I don’t know if you’d have to take EVERY MW school, but even if you did…

WSC and OreSt keep most of their cash or maybe commit a portion of it to incentivize MW schools to “up” their game.

The new PAC maintains access to whatever “trove of broadcast resources” the pac supposedly has on hand as leverage for a new tv deal.

You would own the only consistent west coast league.

Add Gonzaga and St Mary’s for bball and have a monster west coast basketball brand.

Maybe your media deal is only worth half of what it COULD have been… so what? If you’re a MW team you’re likely getting double and if you’re the PAC 2 you’ve got over $100 million in the bank.

Makes too much sense to me but what do I know?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
So you strike out on the AAC targets. You HAVE to get UNLV on board asap or you’re cooked. UNLV to the PAC and Air Force to the AAC would break any chance of MWC being a threat to the PAC.

UNLV and Texas State (from the sunbelt) to get you to 8 would not be the worst thing. You could always circle back to the AAC in a couple years if the ACC hits the AAC for a school or two in the future.
Yes, let's get to the AAC. We don't even have an invite to the PAC so **** them. We don't need to play the PAC-12 GAME.

snake-ladder-ludo-print-play-stock-illustration-illustration-of-free-snakes-and-ladders-printable.jpg

Full share! That’s wild! Weren’t other conferences (old Big East, AAC) only giving like 30% or something to non football teams in the past? Gonzaga is legit but I don’t know about that price. Are they that much ahead of SDSU basketball?
IF, the Final 4 AAC teams declined the pac 12 invite. Which, they did.
They, had Gonzaga in their back pocket.
Agree, full share for just basketball is ridiculous.

• Wow
Equivalent of adding BYU without football... they have a name recognition for basketball but that's a silly price to pay for a specific sport... and what does it get you in long run? An extra bid in March?

100%. Pac2 + 4 traitors have lost ALL leverage. They are the entity in need at this point. Will only have 6. Need to get to 8. No TV deal. No Memphis (for now). No Tulane (for now).
Hyperbolic. They have lost the shock leverage. They will still get more TV money than MWC and probably American. They (and now mwc) still have a warche$t. They still currently have no dead weight.

As yourself... as much as we want basketball to return to glory, do you really want to compete with Gonzaga who has a huge NIL and name brand association already that then gets a few extra million dollars in tv media revenue over everyone else?

This is obviously a good thing.
Either the whole PAC thing backfires or they get desperate and offer UNLV and at least 1 other school. Staying at 8 isn't perfect, but at least you are officially a conference.
Another out of the box idea. The MW four officially come back, the 9 top markets decide to dissolve the conference and all go to the PAC, and you cut out a little of the dead weight. Helps the bottom line.
But honestly, I am still pulling for a PAC invite since it will likely double our media money. As long as we get a LOT of help from the PAC to pay off the fees.

As yourself... as much as we want basketball to return to glory, do you really want to compete with Gonzaga who has a huge NIL and name brand association already that then gets a few extra million dollars in tv media revenue over everyone else?
Yes.
We all want to go to the Big 12, what do you think of THAT conference slate.
Now yes, Big 12 money gives us more capital to compete so that is a factor. But doubling our money and playing Gonzaga twice a year is a good thing.

Reactions: WYNN or Dye
Best option now would be for the two commissioners ( MWC and PAC) to sit down and calmly discuss how to combine the two for a 16 team Conference. I suggest it be called the PAC-West Conference. Don't make the exit fees so large that teams can't go to one of the BIGS.

Best option now would be for the two commissioners ( MWC and PAC) to sit down and calmly discuss how to combine the two for a 16 team Conference. I suggest it be called the PAC-West Conference. Don't make the exit fees so large that teams can't go to one of the BIGS.

Would pay good money to sit in on that.

Hi, Montana State? What are you guys up to?

• Haha
@Loyal Coug1 I take it back about rushing the field after beating SJSU. Imagine being turned down by UTSA.
I take it back Imagine having such horrible negotiating skills that you let a school without a football team into your conference with a full share.

****I will say this. Gonzaga is an ESPN darling. The fact Gonzaga was thrust into a full share position makes me think ESPN is TV deal talks with the Pac2

WTF? I don’t know about that. I don’t want UNLV signing a grant of rights with the MWC.
GOR doesn't have to be some crazy 15 year thing like the ACC did. Short term, I have no problem with. If any MWC school were to sign GOR for more than 5 years, I'd question that

I take it back Imagine having such horrible negotiating skills that you let a school without a football team into your conference with a full share.

****I will say this. Gonzaga is an ESPN darling. The fact Gonzaga was thrust into a full share position makes me think ESPN is TV deal talks with the Pac2
Gonzaga with a full share is crazy talk. They do get 4 mil per year, which is high considering the lack of football. I can see them wanting a decent bump for coming over. They have been flirting with the Big 12 over the years so they have a little bit of leverage.
If SMU joins too, would they get the same? yeesh, I don't know.
I like the idea of more Basketball than Football members. You need more members for basketball since it is hard to fill up the OOC with fewer conference games.

Gonzaga with a full share is crazy talk. They do get 4 mil per year, which is high considering the lack of football. I can see them wanting a decent bump for coming over. They have been flirting with the Big 12 over the years so they have a little bit of leverage.
I like the idea of more Basketball than Football members. You need more members for basketball since it is hard to fill up the OOC with fewer conference games.
Not to mention the entertainment value of watching UNLV get boat raced on its home floor by about 30-40 points every other year.

• Sad
Hyperbolic. They have lost the shock leverage. They will still get more TV money than MWC and probably American. They (and now mwc) still have a warche$t. They still currently have no dead weight.
Wrong. They're not a conference without 8. There are teams they can add other than UNLV, but would they want to? That kills their already iffy TV deal based on the 6 they have. They need Vegas...and they're going to have to tell SDSU to put its tail between its legs and invite UNLV.

Supposedly that Gonzaga deal has not been agreed to . Doesn't mean that they won't, but as of now, it's not.

Wrong. They're not a conference without 8. There are teams they can add other than UNLV, but would they want to? That kills their already iffy TV deal based on the 6 they have. They need Vegas...and they're going to have to tell SDSU to put its tail between its legs and invite UNLV.
If they add nmsu and utep today, they are getting more money in their tv deal than the MWC.

There aren't really people on this board that thing UNLV carries this market, are there? UNLV could be undefeated for 5 years and less than half of the people would be able to name the coach, quarterback, or conference UNLV is in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT