ADVERTISEMENT

Unlv & Air Force in contact w/AAC

Didn't somebody from PAC say football was a requirement? They weren't looking for basketball only? (I could be wrong thought I read that somewhere)

I keep seeing Rice mentioned along with UTSA as possible additions.

Totally agree the MWC is not sustainable.

I mean I guess if they get a quick influx of money from the exit fee/poaching thing they could try and attract some CUSA schools to stem the bleeding.

But potentially losing AFA feels like a nail in the coffin. Maybe not the final one but one or two before it.

I really feel like BIG12 is a pipe dream. UNLV would bring them to 17. Are they looking to expand? Do they want to go as high as 18? I mean I hope it happens and not ruling it out. Just don't know if there are any legs to it other than us fans hoping.

A 1/2 cut of current BIG12 media deal would still far exceed current MWC deal so I think you absolutely jump on it.

Attendance for basketball and football would go through the roof creating a massive influx of money.
PAC supposedly wants Gonzaga and St Mary's. I don't see Big 12 happening best case scenario is the PAC which is probably lateral from the MWC or maybe slightly better. The AAC without Memphis and Tulane is a huge drop off.

You realize that KU is a basketball school and their win/loss record the the last 20 years is comparable to UNLV’s and the last 5 years their home attendance is just over 29k. The fan base is in basketball. The ratings are good because the game was on ESPN at prime time and that’s my point. If it were CBS Sports it wouldn’t register.
If you have been paying attention, they have had a notable increase in interest in football. This year their Attendance numbers are down because they have to play in a soccer stadium and they are totally upgrading their on campus football stadium.

Like I said, Illinois drew 112k for their first game, and 814k against Kansas. in primetime on a Saturday with other big games competing for eyeballs.

Kansas fans are watching.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I've asked same thing but they keep popping up in any discussion involving PAC targets.
I mean they're 1-2 this year, but they lost by 15 @ #15 Oklahom, and lost by 7 at home against #13 KState. They did change coaching staffs this last year (and we beat the team that staff went to on the road) but have been playing pretty well even without the Ws. In addition they're a really good academic school--but only really have okay market penetration in Nawluns. Saints and Bayou Bengals I think are more represented in that media market.

The SEC and BIG have had every other conference in checkmate for the past 5+ years. The BIG12 and the ACC will have no choice to pick off the top G5's in order to buy atleast another 5-10 years of relevance. If both conferences were smart, they'd start adding more G5s now so it doesn't look like desperation when their top programs dip to the final 2. In order to do that, they have to find the programs that will impact their media package the least. That's the point they are at. Travel will also come into play. If UNLV can get that playoff spot, we'd be in great position. Even more so than SDSU, FSU, and CSU. BSU however, has always brought in the viewership, but lack the academics and would strain the travel expenses. I think we're sitting in a perfect situation for a 12 addition geographically and financially. I sincerely believe this.

I also believe a PAC invite is inevitable should the 12 decide not to be proactive this go around.

what would you rather have UNLV choose: a full equal share in the PAC 12, or 1/2 the share in the BIG 12 until their media deal expires?

I’d obviously pick BIG 12 because I feel like the conference is far superior, especially basketball. But the person I was talking to said they’d rather join the pac 12. Their point was UNLV with a 1/2 share in the BIG 12 would put them at a big time spending disadvantage compared to the other teams and we wouldn’t be able to compete. On the surface it makes sense.
Currently UNLV is 2-0 against the Big12 with even less money in comparison to 1/2 share.

Why are people keep mentioning Tulane? They lost their coaching staff to Houston, a Big 12 member which UNLV soundly beat? How have their fared this year?

What else is important? Their facilities?
Beignets

Reactions: Couev and dcut03
PAC supposedly wants Gonzaga and St Mary's. I don't see Big 12 happening best case scenario is the PAC which is probably lateral from the MWC or maybe slightly better. The AAC without Memphis and Tulane is a huge drop off.
Says who? I have read nothing other than message board comments about Gonzaga and nothing about St. Mary's. As I've said before, WSU hates Gonzaga. We don't want them.

Yes, thats the one being referred to... Frankly put, those 4 schools absolutely F***** their conference friends and instead of holding strong to get the Pac 12 brand they believe they are superior to every other program in the MWC. Maybe now we'll get a few fair whistles in basketball this season...

Yes, thats the one being referred to... Frankly put, those 4 schools absolutely F***** their conference friends and instead of holding strong to get the Pac 12 brand they believe they are superior to every other program in the MWC. Maybe now we'll get a few fair whistles in basketball this season...

But we had a threatcaster! How could this happen!

Says who? I have read nothing other than message board comments about Gonzaga and nothing about St. Mary's. As I've said before, WSU hates Gonzaga. We don't want them.

You were correct we had a traitor in our midst. It wasn't that we let the foxes in the hen houses. They were already there.

I no longer believe you are a sleeper agent. 😀

And our commissioner got absolutely bamboozled..

I have solace in the fact SDSU has f**ked up every time they've attempted to change conferences.

From their intention to keep the Pac12 name. I see a 6 west 6 midwest/south makeup. UNLV doesn't fit that mold, but I'm not sure what tv partner is going to latch on to Pac12 now and for what amount of money? Apple was the only taker with the old Pac12 for the amount of money they sought last year. I guess it will be more that the MWC, but why? I really hope it's a CW/TNT/TruTV/History Channel deal.

UNLV has been and needs to continue to be proactive and look out for itself. Try to get in the AAC. That's the only option at this point.

You were correct we had a traitor in our midst. It wasn't that we let the foxes in the hen houses. They were already there.

I no longer believe you are a sleeper agent. 😀

And our commissioner got absolutely bamboozled..
Yeah Gloria got blindsided. And I was so looking forward to having her be the Pac-14 Commissioner. And I will say again, I do not the like the way tis came down. Screw the MW just like we got screwed. But the remaining schools have a somewhat soft landing with all the money that will be shelled out. Plus you still have 2 full seasons as a conference, then the 2-year grace period. So no hurry at all to do something drastic.

For UNLV (and AF), don't give up yet. The timing of the poaching payment, and possibly getting your hands on some of it, is intriguing right there. Granted it's only about $5M per remaining team. I hold firm to the belief that a Pac offer is coming. To me we need to get UNLV and either AF or ? from the MW to solidify at 8. Then these Memphis/Tulane/directional Texas notions can be put on the backburner for awhile.

WSU's games with BSU, Fresno and SDSU have taken on a whole new meaning. Wish we were playing you guys too.

Yeah but our commisioner spent money on a 'threatcaster'. A person who's sole job was to identify possible poaching threats from other conferences.

And it was our own conference members. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
The threatcaster is the reason the poaching provision with the Pac2 was put in place. Guess they underestimated what the poaching fee should have been. $10M/team should have been the price.

Yeah Gloria got blindsided. And I was so looking forward to having her be the Pac-14 Commissioner. And I will say again, I do not the like the way tis came down. Screw the MW just like we got screwed. But the remaining schools have a somewhat soft landing with all the money that will be shelled out. Plus you still have 2 full seasons as a conference, then the 2-year grace period. So no hurry at all to do something drastic.

For UNLV (and AF), don't give up yet. The timing of the poaching payment, and possibly getting your hands on some of it, is intriguing right there. Granted it's only about $5M per remaining team. I hold firm to the belief that a Pac offer is coming. To me we need to get UNLV and either AF or ? from the MW to solidify at 8. Then these Memphis/Tulane/directional Texas notions can be put on the backburner for awhile.

WSU's games with BSU, Fresno and SDSU have taken on a whole new meaning. Wish we were playing you guys too.
Considering UNLV is the only ranked team in the MWC or PAC, I am not concerned about the future of UNLV.

If we want to go to the AAC, we better be sure. It’s $18 million to get to the AAC. It would be another $18 million to get out of the AAC if something else better were to come along. That’s a boatload of cash for our program.
This article states pretty much what I thought. I did not know about the "threatcaster" that is pretty funny.

Also it does make me laugh a bit that the MW tried to raise the price on the Pac 12 for that second year of the scheduling agreement. They obviously took that well!

As for jumping to the ACC, I agree with Warthog. No reason to rush. Something better may come up, and I think the PAC is better for sure. We don't need to announce that anytime soon.

This was an objective decision and UNLV was not one of those top 4 media markets. Simple as that. I think we have all, myself included, overestimated the power of being in Las Vegas. Market penetration matters, and no one knows that better than the media companies themselves.

So what is next, show up and watch games. Hell I saw that recording a game also counts with Nielson Ratings. . So record games that you go to, it helps ratings. Tell you friends. Sneak to your inlaws TVs and set it their DVR to record all UNLV content and don't tell them. We need to show everyone, especially the Big 12, that UNLV can have fans and are worth the investment.

Also of course go to games. Yes this includes basketball. If you care about UNLV athletics our window is maybe less than a year right now to either be truly upgraded or left in the dust.

It would likely be a contingency. First 3/5 years half share.

The flipside of that is attendance for both basketball and football would Sky rocket. You are still at a disadvantage in terms of media share that's true.

But.

I have to imagine having B12 attached to UNLV might get more boosters to step up. Might also encourage more entities to kick into NIL funds.

There is a real possibility that it ends up neither of those and instead the AAC.
People keep talking about media markets as they are and the smart media people behind the scenes influencing all these decisions, if they are that smart (and i believe some of them are), then they’d understand the value of adding a decent media market along with a better overall brand and how that elevates the “decent” media market.

Does that put things over the top for someone like the B12? Maybe not, but…

Any road game at UNLV suddenly becomes THE road game to attend for opponents. Not ideal if you’re UNLV but you’re happy to sell the seats. More people in stadiums creates better TV. Add to that the influence a conference like the B12 would have to actually create more eyeballs on TVs within that “decent” market… you think UNLV vs BYU, Utah, Arizona, ASU, Colorado, or almost any other opponent in the B12 wouldn’t pretty much double viewership within that “decent” market? When UNLV stinks who the hell cares about Utah State, San Jose State, CSU, pretty much everyone but Boise?

I just find it hard to believe that none of that would be considered.

I’d also toss in that right now the hierarchy of conferences goes SEC and B10… then B12… then ACC. When the SEC and B10 start looking to expand again they’ll be coming after more B12 schools than ACC… adding a couple teams from the west makes sense to guard against future defections.

People keep talking about media markets as they are and the smart media people behind the scenes influencing all these decisions, if they are that smart (and i believe some of them are), then they’d understand the value of adding a decent media market along with a better overall brand and how that elevates the “decent” media market.

Does that put things over the top for someone like the B12? Maybe not, but…

Any road game at UNLV suddenly becomes THE road game to attend for opponents. Not ideal if you’re UNLV but you’re happy to sell the seats. More people in stadiums creates better TV. Add to that the influence a conference like the B12 would have to actually create more eyeballs on TVs within that “decent” market… you think UNLV vs BYU, Utah, Arizona, ASU, Colorado, or almost any other opponent in the B12 wouldn’t pretty much double viewership within that “decent” market? When UNLV stinks who the hell cares about Utah State, San Jose State, CSU, pretty much everyone but Boise?

I just find it hard to believe that none of that would be considered.

I’d also toss in that right now the hierarchy of conferences goes SEC and B10… then B12… then ACC. When the SEC and B10 start looking to expand again they’ll be coming after more B12 schools than ACC… adding a couple teams from the west makes sense to guard against future defections.
I like the way you think.

And I’d call you a genius but it’s obvious. Even stepping back and looking at it with a wide lens …

I like the way you think.

And I’d call you a genius but it’s obvious. Even stepping back and looking at it with a wide lens …
Thanks… I just keep having this overarching thought that there’s no way the “market” is going to be completely overlooked. I know that the past isn’t a great prognosticator, but there is absolutely value to be mined.

Thanks… I just keep having this overarching thought that there’s no way the “market” is going to be completely overlooked. I know that the past isn’t a great prognosticator, but there is absolutely value to be mined.
Problem is, if market was a big deal, SDSU should have been in the BIG 12 by now.

Problem is, if market was a big deal, SDSU should have been in the BIG 12 by now.
The weird thing with the whole "market" size is that a lot of schools with big fan bases aren't in big media markets. It's the fact that they've been around for a long time, and have generational fans that support the team. That, IMO, is the biggest strike against UNLV. We had it for basketball but blew it. Football is in the works.

Texas A&M is basically in a city that only supports the school itself.
Oregon is in Eugene (pop. 178,000)
Notre Dame is in South Bend, IN with a population around 100,000
Oklahoma is in Stillwater, with a population of 50,000

But those schools have been around a long time, and have alumni all over the country that support them. UNLV has a shorter history, so obviously, a smaller alumni base. Plus, the school admin has been horrible over the last 20-30 years.

Don't forget that ESPN bought all the media rights from the NCAA for Women's Basketball. In the next year or two Women's basketball will be a revenue sport. The way our women have dominated the MWC and with our coach I see us bringing in some good money in the near future. ESPN also bought some rights to other women's sports from the NCAA that they will be televising. AAC having their media rights with ESPN will be a huge plus for us. I hope our administration takes a good look at us going to the AAC. It may help expand our Women's basketball recruiting footprint which never hurts.

A board member I spoke with who supposedly got info from someone involved.
A Board member. What Board? The Nevada Regents?

On a similar note, my neighbor's daughters' friend said Haitians ate her cat.

Just funning. The six-Pac needs to cut the deal to get up to 8. F- Tulane and Memphis and anyone else east of Mountain time. Get UNLV and whoever else. AF, Wyoming in desperation UNR or UNM. Wish I could say SJSU but with their f-ed stadium and lack of interested fans they suck other than location. BUT if they have a plan to build up their stadium, and being in the same market with disinterested CalFurd, maybe they are a viable option. We just need to get to 8 and take a deep breath.

A Board member. What Board? The Nevada Regents?

On a similar note, my neighbor's daughters' friend said Haitians ate her cat.

Just funning. The six-Pac needs to cut the deal to get up to 8. F- Tulane and Memphis and anyone else east of Mountain time. Get UNLV and whoever else. AF, Wyoming in desperation UNR or UNM. Wish I could say SJSU but with their f-ed stadium and lack of interested fans they suck other than location. BUT if they have a plan to build up their stadium, and being in the same market with disinterested CalFurd, maybe they are a viable option. We just need to get to 8 and take a deep breath.
Don't give SJSU shit for their stadium. It's been undergoing renovation for years. You think it's easy building on a major fault line.

I jest. I don't know if there is a fault line there. But, they did spend $70 million on renovation.

• Haha
Reactions: LocoRebel
Don't give SJSU shit for their stadium. It's been undergoing renovation for years. You think it's easy building on a major fault line.

I jest. I don't know if there is a fault line there. But, they did spend $70 million on renovation.
Just for the sake of saying it, I like what sjsu has done/is doing with their stadium. Only went for one UNLV game and boy did it feel empty. They recognize that, upgrade facilities, do something unique, and create false demand by limiting ticket numbers. Not bad actually!

The legacy AAC schools get 7 mil, but the newer additions "get less". I can't find a report that says how much.
We would probably be in the latter category, at least initially. especially if they pay our exit fees.
If Memphis leave for the PAC, you know that they are at least getting more than 7 mil ( the PAC)
With the CFP aac teams will get 8.8 to 9 million per school.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
Just for the sake of saying it, I like what sjsu has done/is doing with their stadium. Only went for one UNLV game and boy did it feel empty. They recognize that, upgrade facilities, do something unique, and create false demand by limiting ticket numbers. Not bad actually!
Is that an Ikea or a Auto Dealership they have on the side of the stadium?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT