ADVERTISEMENT

Two QBs will be gone

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
The plan has already been discussed with the coaching staff. One is expected, the other is not so expected. Post spring announcements should be the move (although for these situations, it doesnt need to be then).

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Matt Sluka should do great for you guys. Syracuse was very interested in him but we grabbed the Ohio State starter (McCord)

Will he be in for spring?

I guess I don't see it as a huge surprise. These guys all expect to play right away. He won't be playing again next year so....I figured if Maiva stayed he was gone for certain.

Yeah but I think most thought it would be Friel. Hence the surprise aspect of it.

I don't have any insight on this but I get the feeling Friel might be at a point where he may just like Vegas, or his teammates, knows his options might be limited at this point. Just enjoying the college experience as well as bond of being on a team. Ready to step in if needed. Be prepared etc. Just wants to finish school.

I could be way off here just the vibe I get...

I think he may finish career here. I don't know for sure though.

I mean not the worst thing to have a guy with about a seasons worth of experience as your third or fourth also helping young QBs, watching film etc..

Yeah but I think most thought it would be Friel. Hence the surprise aspect of it.

I don't have any insight on this but I get the feeling Friel might be at a point where he may just like Vegas, or his teammates, knows his options might be limited at this point. Just enjoying the college experience as well as bond of being on a team. Ready to step in if needed. Be prepared etc. Just wants to finish school.

I could be way off here just the vibe I get...

I think he may finish career here. I don't know for sure though.

I mean not the worst thing to have a guy with about a seasons worth of experience as your third or fourth also helping young QBs, watching film etc..
Yeah he would be fine as a backup I agree. Yes I would have picked him before Bo to leave as well but at this point if you are a QB and not starting I am more surprised if they stay.

These things are always fluid, so I know it could end up being more than just the 2, but if it is say Brumfield and Edmunson, than that would seemingly mean that Friel stays which would be very good for depth. I could see Friel staying since the 2 transfers only have a year. He could be in line to start in 2025 if he’s able to improve enough.

Bo surprises me given that he was a Marion guy. But... "what have you done for me lately?" is the mantra of the day.

I wish he and DB well.

No way Friel ever starts for a Brad Odom winning team. I love that he seems to be a team (UNLV) guy, and that means more to me than a 1-year rental, but he doesn't have the skills needed to compete to win a MWC Championship. No personal knock, just facts. That being said, like Bull mentioned, maybe he's a student of the game and helps the other QB's to learn the plays/system, and he's thinking long-term with making connections as well as prepping for a future coaching career. Can't be mad if that's his MO. He is a very solid 3rd string QB, especially for us. Normally, he'd be a starter.

Bo surprises me given that he was a Marion guy. But... "what have you done for me lately?" is the mantra of the day.

I wish he and DB well.

No way Friel ever starts for a Brad Odom winning team. I love that he seems to be a team (UNLV) guy, and that means more to me than a 1-year rental, but he doesn't have the skills needed to compete to win a MWC Championship. No personal knock, just facts. That being said, like Bull mentioned, maybe he's a student of the game and helps the other QB's to learn the plays/system, and he's thinking long-term with making connections as well as prepping for a future coaching career. Can't be mad if that's his MO. He is a very solid 3rd string QB, especially for us. Normally, he'd be a starter.

Not gonna lie that might be the nicest thing you've ever said about me..

Thanks...

Wait, we actually agree..

Does that make me an idiot?

Nice job idiot! Now I have to wonder if I'm an idiot because the village idiot agrees with me..

These things are always fluid, so I know it could end up being more than just the 2, but if it is say Brumfield and Edmunson, than that would seemingly mean that Friel stays which would be very good for depth. I could see Friel staying since the 2 transfers only have a year. He could be in line to start in 2025 if he’s able to improve enough.
Respectfully, You are extremely loyal or sentimental regarding Friel. Friel played spot starts for a 0 or 2 win team here. IF he were to ever start here again….something went terribly wrong with the program. He should just move on to a level he can play and compete at. I appreciate his time and effort for the program though.

Respectfully, You are extremely loyal or sentimental regarding Friel. Friel played spot starts for a 0 or 2 win team here. IF he were to ever start here again….something went terribly wrong with the program. He should just move on to a level he can play and compete at. I appreciate his time and effort for the program though.

I think his freshman year ruined him.

Could be wrong. Think David Carr in the NFL. Got absolutely beat up his rookie season in NFL behind an awful offensive line.

Same thing with Friel.

Dude missed his entire senior season of HS (Covid restrictions)

Was expected to red shirt. Got thrown in unexpectedly due to injury. Thought he acquitted himself pretty well considering circumstances. But you could see as season wore on the hits, threat of hits were taking a toll on his play.

Honestly don't think he ever really rebounded from it.

That said he's been a team guy. I think he might be ok with his role on the team.

Solid locker room guy, guy with experience to help with young QBs. Help with film with starters..Basically just another set of eyes.

Not a bad guy to keep around..

Will the Colgate guy want to stick around if Sluka beats him out in the spring? Or vice versa (less likely I know).

Campbell not Colgate and good question but I bet it depends on how much eligibility is left?

Campbell not Colgate and good question but I bet it depends on how much eligibility is left?
Just based upon what available on the interweb, Sluka will beat just anybody we have on the roster now. And I dont think that even close.

Have we completely written off Doug Brumfield? I know he seems to get injured easily, but he had enough good qualities that he came into this last season as the starting QB until he was injured.
I was never a fan maybe he can have a Caleb Herring like senior year that is the best case scenario IMO.

I can’t wait to see the reaction when the thread is started that all the kickers have entered the portal.
Kickers will kicking down the door coming to UNLV because of Pizzaano's success

I personally don't think Doug would beat Sluka out in a QB competition.
He looked really good on the videos of him, but it was hard to tell when some of these games were against lower level competition, but he did look pretty good against the couple of higher level teams they played. I hope that he is a super star for this next season. With the offensive and defensive transfer UNLV has received commits from, they could move up to the next level in 2024.

I think his freshman year ruined him.

Could be wrong. Think David Carr in the NFL. Got absolutely beat up his rookie season in NFL behind an awful offensive line.

Same thing with Friel.

Dude missed his entire senior season of HS (Covid restrictions)

Was expected to red shirt. Got thrown in unexpectedly due to injury. Thought he acquitted himself pretty well considering circumstances. But you could see as season wore on the hits, threat of hits were taking a toll on his play.

Honestly don't think he ever really rebounded from it.

That said he's been a team guy. I think he might be ok with his role on the team.

Solid locker room guy, guy with experience to help with young QBs. Help with film with starters..Basically just another set of eyes.

Not a bad guy to keep around..
I could imagine that if he sticks around, Friel will end up going the GA route and hit the coaching route.

I think his eligibility is done after this year. Plus he's on the older side. (He did one year at a military prep)

I want to say he's already 24?

If he loses out on the job in Spring I'm guessing he sticks around. Options would be limited. Hard to go somewhere else in the fall, learn a whole new offense (again) and compete for a starting job.

Purely a guess, I think Sluka was always the main target and Hajj was an insurance policy.

I personally don't think Doug would beat Sluka out in a QB competition.

Not likely.

I'm on the side of I'd rather he stay than go purely for depth reasons.

ANTI JINX KNOCK ON WOOD SO NOBODY BLAMES THE FOLLOWING TAKE.

Injuries happen. We've seen it all to often here at the QB position. Having a guy with 4 years experience and about a seasons worth of snaps as your third is not a bad place to be in terms of depth.

Him wanting to leave and try and be a starter somewhere is not surprising. Nor do I blame him.

Not likely.

I'm on the side of I'd rather he stay than go purely for depth reasons.

ANTI JINX KNOCK ON WOOD SO NOBODY BLAMES THE FOLLOWING TAKE.

Injuries happen. We've seen it all to often here at the QB position. Having a guy with 4 years experience and about a seasons worth of snaps as your third is not a bad place to be in terms of depth.

Him wanting to leave and try and be a starter somewhere is not surprising. Nor do I blame him.
Doug won’t beat out scrub for time at QB next season.

I don’t think he’s leaving though.

HE should move to WR.

People talked about this when Palandech was here.

And definitely not being snarky here..

Can he actually catch well enough? Does he have the athleticism to run routes? We know he has good legs and some speed, but is he quick enough to break on routes and create separation?

I don't know.

And considering his injury history could he even survive hits going across the middle?

There are guys that can and have done it. Not sure he can or even wants to..

Well he's not a QB. U could use him in schemes involving him throwing it on passes to him sometimes. He's got a lengthy body. He's not catching anything over the middle. But would cause a miss match on the outside

Well he's not a QB. U could use him in schemes involving him throwing it on passes to him sometimes. He's got a lengthy body. He's not catching anything over the middle. But would cause a miss match on the outside

Not disagreeing but is he physical enough to win 50/50 ball?

You still have to create some separation even on the outside.

He's a QB, he just has some weaknesses.

Particularly throwing pics in RZ. Cost Rebs a couple games.

In an injury shortened season he posted pretty decent numbers.

64% completion (Actually higher than Maiava's 63% (negligible obviously) this year. Doug 10/5 TD to INT vs Maiava who was 17/10.

Maiava threw for 3k yards vs Doug's 1800 (On about 100 more attempts).

Is Doug or was Doug ever the answer. Probably not. But he was hardly without talent either.

He'd be a really solid #3 if he decided to stay.

Not disagreeing but is he physical enough to win 50/50 ball?

You still have to create some separation even on the outside.

He's a QB, he just has some weaknesses.

Particularly throwing pics in RZ. Cost Rebs a couple games.

In an injury shortened season he posted pretty decent numbers.

64% completion (Actually higher than Maiava's 63% (negligible obviously) this year. Doug 10/5 TD to INT vs Maiava who was 17/10.

Maiava threw for 3k yards vs Doug's 1800 (On about 100 more attempts).

Is Doug or was Doug ever the answer. Probably not. But he was hardly without talent either.

He'd be a really solid #3 if he decided to stay.
I don’t think its a question of IF he can play WR. He absolutely can. Its more of if he SHOULD. Would he be a better WR than QB? Not immediately.

Would he be a better value to the team at WR than a QB? I personally don’t believe so. He’d better be fast. Just being tall isn’t enough anymore. Look at Jordan Jakes. Same height and a little less weight than Brumfield, but never really made it here.

Last edited:
I don’t think its a question of IF he can play WR. He absolutely can. Its more of if he SHOULD. Would he be a better WR than QB? Not immediately.

Would he be a better value to the team at WR than a QB? I personally don’t believe so. He’d better be fast. Just being tall isn’t enough anymore. Look at Jordan Jakes. Same height and a little less weight than Brumfield, but never really made it here.

Is he better than White, DeJesus, Texas transfer freshman kid that played well to end the season?

Who exactly is he taking snaps from?

If he has any value on this team it would be as a 2nd or 3rd string QB vs being buried as a #5 or #6.

Having a guy like Doug run scout team far more valuable than riding pine as #5 or #6 WR..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT