ADVERTISEMENT

Two QBs will be gone

Is he better than White, DeJesus, Texas transfer freshman kid that played well to end the season?

Who exactly is he taking snaps from?

If he has any value on this team it would be as a 2nd or 3rd string QB vs being buried as a #5 or #6.

Having a guy like Doug run scout team far more valuable than riding pine as #5 or #6 WR..
I think he’d make a fantastic scout team guy. Much better in my opinion than sitting behind a 5’7 receiver.

Are we still arguing Doug should be in the QB depth chart conversation? Honestly dude got beat up, beat out, and over recruited for a reason..
I can see him being a gadget WR since you could roll him into backfield to make a pass or run, but with his size he could be a decent stretch TE... I can see him doing the Taysom Hill thing in a Marion package... that might be an interesting wrinkle

Are we still arguing Doug should be in the QB depth chart conversation? Honestly dude got beat up, beat out, and over recruited for a reason..
I can see him being a gadget WR since you could roll him into backfield to make a pass or run, but with his size he could be a decent stretch TE... I can see him doing the Taysom Hill thing in a Marion package... that might be an interesting wrinkle

Nobody arguing him being in the rotation or discussion as your #1 QB, more why would you take reps off of better suited guys to put Doug at WR? At best he'd be your #5 WR and that's probably a stretch.

As for him being on the roster..No not as your #1 or #2 QB but there's some value having a guy like him as a #3 QB if he's willing to accept that role.

He can run scout team. He's got a fair amount of experience. He can duplicate some of the more agile opposing QBs in practice. There is probably way more value in that than him being a #5 or #6 WR on your roster.

I posted his stats from his best year vs Maiava's stats this year. His TD/INT ratio was actually better. Completion percentage was basically the same. Maiava threw for 1200 more yards on about 100 more attempts. Maiava was/is the better QB but people now act like Doug was completely devoid of talent. He isn't, he's just not good enough to be the number one on this team anymore.

But I'd definitely be fine with him as a number three guy.

Discussion is likely mute since there's a good chance he'll be gone anyway.

I don't think Doug is as bad as most people here.

He did win the job in camp last year. Now it may have been close, but it was close enough that they still went with him.

Honestly, I'm not convinced that the Campbell QB is better. I can see Doug put up pretty good numbers at that level.

Do I think he will be here next year? Probably not. But I can see him sticking around for Spring ball maybe since he hasn't put his name into the portal yet.

I don't think Doug is as bad as most people here.

He did win the job in camp last year. Now it may have been close, but it was close enough that they still went with him.

Honestly, I'm not convinced that the Campbell QB is better. I can see Doug put up pretty good numbers at that level.

Do I think he will be here next year? Probably not. But I can see him sticking around for Spring ball maybe since he hasn't put his name into the portal yet.

He's not without talent.

I just don't think he's good enough to get this team to yhe level where Odom and staff feel like they can reach or need to reach.

But if he's your 3rd QB and injuries come, I'd rather that than turning the keys over to Ochoa as a true freshman.

People suffer from recency bias at times and have short memories.

Yeah Doug has his limitations and weaknesses but he had UNLV in the game vs ASU on the road. Had a chance to beat Cal on the road. He's had good moments.

He's not without talent.

I just don't think he's good enough to get this team to yhe level where Odom and staff feel like they can reach or need to reach.

But if he's your 3rd QB and injuries come, I'd rather that than turning the keys over to Ochoa as a true freshman.

Yeah Doug has his limitations and weaknesses but he had UNLV in the game vs ASU on the road. Had a chance to beat Cal on the road. He's had good moments.
People forget how much of a difference maker he has been for us in the past.

He put the the team on his back and won games or kept us close before. Making crazy plays in big moments.

He hasn't been consistent, though he has been hurt. There is probably a connection there. He played through a lot of stuff.

He didn't look great last season, but he only played in one game against a lower division opponent where we were being vanilla on purpose. We never really saw him with the full keys to this offense. He didn't win his job back for a reason. Not denying that. But we never saw why he won the job in camp as fans

As a rehab professional, its hard to criticize a player for being injured, especially since it hasn't been the same problem over and over. But I get it, he is hard to count on for your starter if he just hasn't been healthy over several seasons.

But I think he could be a quality back up ( yes even as a #2).

He's not without talent.

I knew he wasn't the guy at the Notre Dame game last year when the offense looked better after he came out.

He lost the job because he became a shell of himself. Yeah, he had good plays and ran the offense well early in Arroyos last year, but after his injuries he turned gun shy and it affected his decision making. Step to slow to pull it and run, more short dump offs rather than reading because he was afraid to get hit. That's why he lost the job and why he's not a great option to play even 3rd string if he has to come in.

He lost the job because he became a shell of himself. Yeah, he had good plays and ran the offense well early in Arroyos last year, but after his injuries he turned gun shy and it affected his decision making. Step to slow to pull it and run, more short dump offs rather than reading because he was afraid to get hit. That's why he lost the job and why he's not a great option to play even 3rd string if he has to come in.

He won the job in Spring initially.

Got hurt again.

He's 'afraid' to get hit but you think he should move to WR vs play QB.

If the third string QB has to play for most teams it's typically not a great option unless you're Ohio State and the like.

If he stays and remains on the roster there is value in him at QB. Zero value at WR unless he's a top 4 guy at the position which I doubt.

He's got experience. Younger and older QBs on roster can bounce stuff off him. What he's seeing on the field.

No I don't want to see him have to take actual snaps in a game. We're in trouble if he has to. But that would be true if Friel or Ochoa were forces into action as well. If that scenario unfolded (please God no) give me Doug over those two at this point.

Last edited:
Maybe.
You are probably right, but hard to say that for sure.
He never had to a chance to show what he could do in this offense. Game 1 was obviously vanilla, actually games 1-4 were pretty vanilla. Maiava had a break out in relief in game 3 because we had to in order to win a winnable game. Hard to judge Doug too much from either of his appearances last season. Remember UTEP? Jaden played exactly the way we all complained Doug did. Short passes with a lot of runs, very pedestrian. It took a while for the offense to open up.
All of our Qb struggled under Arroyo. So it's hard to definitively pin that all on Doug.
I don't think Doug was afraid to get hit. I think he was told to try to be careful. He would actually play a bit too reckless too often over his career. I think that is where the hesitation came in. Even his injury last year, he stood tall in the pocket to get creamed 2 plays in a row. We were awful in pass pro early last year.

So to me, if he were to stay around, I think Doug would land second or third n the depth chart most likely. He has a lot of good tools, that was never the problem. If he were to earn a spot above some of the others than that would be a good thing.

Or he gets beat out easily. Very possible.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT