ADVERTISEMENT

The Paint Hasn't Dried Coaching Speculation Thread.

Who the hell want a Coach who want to walks away? Dont say Meyer, not a fair comparison..
I dont want him, although he probably will be a better option than whoever they bring in. But, most coaches walk away (or are fired first) while under contract, you cant recruit unless you have years on your contract, so no one fulfils their contract and then retires unless there is a coach in waiting situation

Reactions: LVRebel2000
It is funny how I keep reading all of this twitter post that say how much Arroyo had improved the program without having a clue about UNLV football. One huge fact stands out for why he is gone:
UNLV was one play away from having the same record as the program had the year before Arroyo took over as the coach!

Still don’t really think this happens, but here’s an article about Bruce Feldman tweeting about Gary Patterson and UNLV. Would obviously be a terrific hire if true.

Patterson/UNLV

If you have a subscription to athletic (would recommend), here‘s an article on potential names. A lot of names have been discussed already, but here‘s a few more that I haven’t seen mentioned that are in the article. They do mention Bronco Mendenhall btw. While he’s not an exciting personality, I do believe he’s a really good coach.

USC DB coach Donte Williams. Would imagine that they would go with Grinch, but who knows

BYU Special teams/Associate HC, Ed Lamb. Was HC at Southern Utah and lead them to 2 FCS playoff appearances

Washington St DC, Brian Ward

Washington Co DC, William Inge. Was at Fresno St with DeBoer

Not mentioned in the article, but a name I like is Washington OC, Ryan Grubb. Also coached with DeBoer at Fresno St and just got a hefty raise ($1.5m range) so would have to match that. Talking about the UW coordinator also reminded me that UNLV was in on DeBoer early before settling on Arroyo. What could have been…

It is funny how I keep reading all of this twitter post that say how much Arroyo had improved the program without having a clue about UNLV football. One huge fact stands out for why he is gone:
UNLV was one play away from having the same record as the program had the year before Arroyo took over as the coach!
Not to mention the actual eye test of football on the field. Some of the worst football product I’ve seen at this school and that’s definitely saying something. Those SJSU and AF games were a sight to be seen. A complete joke in all three phases of the game. Arroyo put a terrible product out there.

Why on EARTH would we be entertaining P5 POSTION coaches for a head coaching job? Shit, I'll be mad if we go the coordinator route again at this point. We need someone that understands how to play the game with the boosters and how to build a program with talent and culture. I'd really like the program to build an identity--at this point I would take that just as much as win and loss.
Right now if there's legitimate interest Gary Patterson would be my top choice, but Herman, Harsin, or Mullins would have amazing upside.

I would probably listen to Scott Frost despite him not being able to turn around Nebraska. Paul Chryst is an interesting option I haven't seen mentioned--there's a lot of Wisconsin ties still in the booster pool, and he was never bad at Wisky, he just couldn't get over the BIG western hump consistently. Mendenhall would also probably be a better choice than I'd like to admit--but it's tough to sign a BYU guy--but he was pretty okay at UVA just couldn't get over the hump.

Why on EARTH would we be entertaining P5 POSTION coaches for a head coaching job? Shit, I'll be mad if we go the coordinator route again at this point. We need someone that understands how to play the game with the boosters and how to build a program with talent and culture. I'd really like the program to build an identity--at this point I would take that just as much as win and loss.
Right now if there's legitimate interest Gary Patterson would be my top choice, but Herman, Harsin, or Mullins would have amazing upside.

I would probably listen to Scott Frost despite him not being able to turn around Nebraska. Paul Chryst is an interesting option I haven't seen mentioned--there's a lot of Wisconsin ties still in the booster pool, and he was never bad at Wisky, he just couldn't get over the BIG western hump consistently. Mendenhall would also probably be a better choice than I'd like to admit--but it's tough to sign a BYU guy--but he was pretty okay at UVA just couldn't get over the hump.
Frost is interesting. Yeah, he failed. But he built a program and then had to navigate a major program. That’s all valuable experience.

Still don’t really think this happens, but here’s an article about Bruce Feldman tweeting about Gary Patterson and UNLV. Would obviously be a terrific hire if true.

Patterson/UNLV

If you have a subscription to athletic (would recommend), here‘s an article on potential names. A lot of names have been discussed already, but here‘s a few more that I haven’t seen mentioned that are in the article. They do mention Bronco Mendenhall btw. While he’s not an exciting personality, I do believe he’s a really good coach.

USC DB coach Donte Williams. Would imagine that they would go with Grinch, but who knows

BYU Special teams/Associate HC, Ed Lamb. Was HC at Southern Utah and lead them to 2 FCS playoff appearances

Washington St DC, Brian Ward

Washington Co DC, William Inge. Was at Fresno St with DeBoer

Not mentioned in the article, but a name I like is Washington OC, Ryan Grubb. Also coached with DeBoer at Fresno St and just got a hefty raise ($1.5m range) so would have to match that. Talking about the UW coordinator also reminded me that UNLV was in on DeBoer early before settling on Arroyo. What could have been…
Ed Lamb would be a disaster. No thanks. Actually no thanks for all of those names, except for Patterson, of course.

Frost is interesting. Yeah, he failed. But he built a program and then had to navigate a major program. That’s all valuable experience.
Coaching Nebraska football is a lot like coaching UNLV basketball. No thanks, buddy. You're setting yourself up for failure with boosters who are too involved and who have crazy (and probably unattainable) expectations. It's not the 70s - 90s when Osborne could roll into Texas, Florida, and other southern states and just have the pick of the litter. You have national championship expectations with regional talent. A coach at Nebraska is going to have to catch lightening in a bottle to just keep their fanbase happy.

I'd take a long look at Frost as a candidate. Not as a primary target, but he'd be in my top 6-7 if I was UNLV.

Ed Lamb would be a disaster. No thanks. Actually no thanks for all of those names, except for Patterson, of course.
Agreed there. Just listing names in the article not mentioned prior. My personal preferred guys would Deion, Patterson or Herman if they were willing. Mullen would be great too, but doesn’t have any ties to the area or conference. I’m sure he could develop them, but something to consider. Sanders doesn’t either, but he is able to recruit nationally and would develop those relationships locally faster than Mullen IMO.

Not as high on Frost as others. George O’Leary built that program, he kept it going and took it to another level, but I’m just not as high on guys that take over as opposed to building a program. Same could be said for Herman though and I’m sure Frost has learned a bit from his Nebraska experience.

Coaching Nebraska football is a lot like coaching UNLV basketball. No thanks, buddy. You're setting yourself up for failure with boosters who are too involved and who have crazy (and probably unattainable) expectations. It's not the 70s - 90s when Osborne could roll into Texas, Florida, and other southern states and just have the pick of the litter. You have national championship expectations with regional talent. A coach at Nebraska is going to have to catch lightening in a bottle to just keep their fanbase happy.

I'd take a long look at Frost as a candidate. Not as a primary target, but he'd be in my top 6-7 if I was UNLV.

Nebraska football fan is UNLV basketball fan to some degree.

Remember the glory years, struggle to recognize the landscape has changed.

New article from Grimala (Sun). Not really an update (though he says they are pursuing Sanders), just putting names on list. Most have been brought up several times. He did, however, list Nick Rolovich who I hadn’t thought of before. Pretty good coach IMO though he‘d come with all of Covid questions.

FWIW, I’d be fine with any of the guys on list outside of Murray. Wouldn’t be opposed to Murray as an OC under a offensive minded coach like Herman or Frost, but too big of a leap IMO. Certainly like some of the names more than others, but if you told me the next HC was on this list (outside of Murray), I’d be satisfied with that.

Grimala 12/1 article

New article from Grimala (Sun). Not really an update (though he says they are pursuing Sanders), just putting names on list. Most have been brought up several times. He did, however, list Nick Rolovich who I hadn’t thought of before. Pretty good coach IMO though he‘d come with all of Covid questions.

FWIW, I’d be fine with any of the guys on list outside of Murray. Wouldn’t be opposed to Murray as an OC under a offensive minded coach like Herman or Frost, but too big of a leap IMO. Certainly like some of the names more than others, but if you told me the next HC was on this list (outside of Murray), I’d be satisfied with that.

Grimala 12/1 article

Rolovich is interesting.

Murray played for Gorman and then the Cowboys. One crappy season with the Eagles under Chip Kelly. He's dead to me.
When I was in shape, I followed his water diet..I drank tons and tons of water. Unfortunately, I was peeing everywhere too.

Rolovich is interesting.
I don't really love Rolo and don't think he's really interesting given the other options. If you look at his historical SOS and SRS he struggled with some absolutely terrible schedules (never had a above average SOS, only two season with SRS > 0).

He runs a fun offense when he gets his players in, but that offense never really showed up at Wazzoo.

I'm not even weighing his controversary into the equation. That being said, I'd take him over 95% of the OC/DC names I've seen.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I don't really love Rolo and don't think he's really interesting given the other options. If you look at his historical SOS and SRS he struggled with some absolutely terrible schedules (never had a above average SOS, only two season with SRS > 0).

He runs a fun offense when he gets his players in, but that offense never really showed up at Wazzoo.

I'm not even weighing his controversary into the equation. That being said, I'd take him over 95% of the OC/DC names I've seen.

About where I'm at. Although of coordinators out there Alex Grinch would intrigue me more than Rolovich.

I probably should have gone with a different word than interesting.

More like he fits into what UNLV can likely afford. Had ok results. Previous HC experience. Knows conference.

Reactions: Couev
Where did you see this? The news I saw said he's a serious candidate for the position.

Edit: saw it on CBS sports now.

"There are already great young men on this team, great facilities, a great location, a great recruiting base and great leadership, all of which are important to building a successful program," Herman said as part of a news release from the school.

Really wish we were reading this in an article about our school and not FAU.

Will we still like the choice? Or did the choice go to FAU? Should we worry that a top flight coach might have spurned us?
We should always have the belief that top-flight coaches will spurn us. UNLV is where head coaches go to ruin their careers.

Reactions: Couev
Are we glad its Eric Harper making the pick and not TKM? haha
I think the jury is still out.

I don't think TKM was a good AD, but I think her initial targets for the basketball hire were better than DRF's. She had Cronin almost ready to sign but forgot that you never let someone walk out the door to go back home to think about it. There's a reason used car guys will chase you down if you leave a dealership. Then she got Chris Beard hired but the regents and the administration put him into a contract with basically a $3.50 buyout clause. Beard and Cronin have both been pretty solid since that point.

Yeah, panicking and signing Marv for optics was a bad, bad, bad idea in retrospect--but we all know that the Administration was pushing we hire someone because of the optics. Sanchez wasn't a great choice for on field performance, but the cash that came with him the program desperately needed. She also got the Marnell Clubhouse built for the baseball team. I feel like she had good ideas just was shitty at execution.

I hope Harper is better than TKM.

So where are we at on the search now? We've had tons of names thrown out, but as time as passed, we haven't seen much movement. Deion is off the board, as is Tom Herman. As far as what I've seen, there are only 4 open FBS football head coaching jobs right now.

Louisville
Stanford
UNLV
W. Michigan.

I have no idea who those guys are after, but clearly Louisville and Stanford could have a much higher expected salary than UNLV and W. Michigan, so depending on who they hire (if they poach from another school), there could be additional job openings.

That being said, with those other 3 schools to beat out, is it at all possible that we can either get:
1. Orgeron
2. Patterson
3. Peterson
4. Harsin

I'd be excited with any one of the 4, but they may just be a pipe dream. What do you guys think?

So where are we at on the search now? We've had tons of names thrown out, but as time as passed, we haven't seen much movement. Deion is off the board, as is Tom Herman. As far as what I've seen, there are only 4 open FBS football head coaching jobs right now.

Louisville
Stanford
UNLV
W. Michigan.

I have no idea who those guys are after, but clearly Louisville and Stanford could have a much higher expected salary than UNLV and W. Michigan, so depending on who they hire (if they poach from another school), there could be additional job openings.

That being said, with those other 3 schools to beat out, is it at all possible that we can either get:
1. Orgeron
2. Patterson
3. Peterson
4. Harsin

I'd be excited with any one of the 4, but they may just be a pipe dream. What do you guys think?

I think Stanford may be looking at Brennan SJSU and Sac State coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT