ADVERTISEMENT

Introspection (long and trying to not be too reactionary)

Couev

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2003
Indianapolis, Indiana
So, without belaboring the point, that game last night was having to take a bite out of a moldy shit sandwich. There's lots of things to (rightly) complain about. I want to try to be constructive or at the very least analytical in my pissing and moaning (not that there's nothing wrong with anyone else's particular brand of pissing and moaning, you guys do you).

* Southern's game plan for DTJ was really, really good. They put a grown ass man on him and picked him up with really solid full court on ball defense. Got physical with him and made him make mistakes early. It's a smart early game plan, and something Krugs should really be expecting at least until DTJ is a little better seasoned. But we saw nothing to protect Dedan early. No big to set a timeline screen for him, no companion player to run up the court behind. At the first time out with a double digit lead they switched to a 2-2-1 full court pick up and that further put more pressure and frustration on the young guard. Good coaching here. Terribly slow for Kevin to address, and always very reactionary when he did address it.

* I understood what our offensive set early in the game was meant to do. It wasn't pretty, but we clearly wanted to get our wings open shots after a permiter skip pass on a high lateral screen. It's simple, and it's fine to have as a package you run. Hell, if your wings shot better than 1 for 11 from 3 maybe it even works and forces some of their defenders out of the lane area. But it really seemed like that was 90% of our offensive game plan. Something that you'd set up in 15 minutes of play on a YMCA court. You have to at some point see that's not working and transition into something else. Even something equally as simple as a pick and roll, or running a baseline runs through down screens in the post to force the defense to have heads on swivels and at least look elsewhere.

* Defensively, we didn't do anything very well. 95% of Southern's offense was predicated on pick and roll. Big diving hard to the cup on switches, guard shooting over when we tried to go under. I hate switching screens unless you've got a couple of bulldogs who can defend it and you have a big who understands he may have to rotate to cover the diving big or the penetration. DTJ isn't there yet, Webster has never been there, LuRod isn't bad, but was slow to react tonight, Hill was okay i guess. Maybe that gets a little better with Boone in the middle on the defensive help rotation, but given our defensive make up, switching screens is a stubborn 'we're going to do things my way' idea that is going to be exploited all year. Last year we had Parquet and Gilbert and it still got us exposed more often than not. I won't even go into the bench guys getting split all night by either the penetration or the hard roll to the cup. Seems like we shoudl be better prepared to play against the most common offensive set in basketball, but what do I know.

* Kruger's game management was very poor. He's slow to take timeouts, he's slow to change what's not working, he doesn't seem to have any ideas in the game to make other teams uncomfortable. Last year, the matchup zone worked pretty well against bad PGs, but we were actually pretty poor defending team once people figured out that on tape and we never really came up with any alternatives after...and here it is next year and we're still playing bad defense and bad offense.

* Southern played hard as nails and made some tough clutch shots, but they clearly looked like the tougher team who were playing harder. I think baseline effort is uncoachable, it's part of your team psyche and based on hours and hours of practice. However, that extra motivation when you're getting your dick knocked in the dirt can and should come from the coaching staff. Teams that wilt when the oven gets hot are just as much a fault of the coaching staff as the players themselves.

* I'm not sure what to make of Krugs at this point. He's slow to change his gameplan, slow to change his rotations, slow to call timeouts when we're bleeding on the floor, slow to react to things he's seeing in game. I can't remember him drawing up a wrinkle out of a time out to get us a good shot. I can't remember the last time we hot switched a defense, or had a play called out, or seen a guy in foul trouble and direct his guys to attack. He just stands on the sideline and yells a bit, but doesn't do anything. It's weird because he was a pretty good leader as a player, but I just don't feel that from him and the sample size of him not being a great coach is getting larger every game. I just can't believe how unprepared we looked against Southern. It's just a pick and roll offense with a few screens through the key as a wrinkle. It's an offense you'll see in most decent rec leagues. And he's so damned stubborn, he refuses to not switch screens, he refused not to change defenses, he refuses to adapt. I get the feeling his internal monologue gets to the 'what am i supposed to do, they're shooting it so well', and then just does nothing.

* But the saddest thing of all to me is how SOFT and without identity this team is. Who are we? Do we play great defense? Do we play great offense? Do we play as hard as hell? Do we scrap? Do we play like our lives depend on it? No to all of these. There's no attitude, no 'you will not beat me', no I diving to the court for every lose ball, working your ass off on the glass, setting screens that send a damn message, forbid easy layups and anyone that tries has to pay the key tax. Just none of those things. Bad shots, lazy defense, and almost apathy. Look at those kids during that game. They weren't embarrassed to be taken out behind the woodshed. They weren't mad and desperate. They didn't even really look upset besides a few hung heads a few times. And it can't just be me that notices it--which is why there was probably 3500 people in the stands if you are lucky.

I know it's just the first game, but this really looks more like we're playing exactly how we did at the end of last season but with worse defense and fewer bulldogs. I would love nothing more for KK and company to turn things around, but I don't know how much evidence I have to see and ignore before I just admit that this isn't working and probably won't work.

God, I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Interesting take, I agree with several parts. I will say they did vary the way the defended the P n Roll but it didn't help in either way. Isaiah was hard hedging and the guard would chase over the top of some screens and they basically left the roller wide open with that lazy double team chasing the guard to the basket. It wasn't that that they didn't do anything but more that they gave 60% effort on many of the coverage calls and just didn't go with commitment to it. Its like trapping in basketball. You can trap with arms raised and talking OR you can trap with no commitment to it and the guy breaks out of the trap.

The thing I saw that you mentioned was KK was not fired up at all during the game besides part of the first half. He seemed to cash in his chips at a point and roll over. Maybe I expect more yelling and intense fire but that was sad to watch. We have some players on the roster/team but I feel like the expectations and communication is lacking. Whether you are doing 10 year old rec soccer or college basketball, you need a plan and identity from the start. Do the players know what that is? Do they believe in it? Is it drilled in them during practice/games?

if there was a set plan, I never heard it yelled during the game and a focal point. I was largely disappointed by the display last night but it is one game early on.

Oh, one more item. We payed them to come here and beat us. This was supposed to be a game where we rolled them and they get a check to help their athletic budget. Well that blew up in our face.

Interesting take, I agree with several parts. I will say they did vary the way the defended the P n Roll but it didn't help in either way. Isaiah was hard hedging and the guard would chase over the top of some screens and they basically left the roller wide open with that lazy double team chasing the guard to the basket. It wasn't that that they didn't do anything but more that they gave 60% effort on many of the coverage calls and just didn't go with commitment to it. Its like trapping in basketball. You can trap with arms raised and talking OR you can trap with no commitment to it and the guy breaks out of the trap.

I didn't chart the defense or anything (it was super late here and i was too angry to do more than curse), but it feels like we tried switching for about 80% of the pick and roll defensive possessions. Probably 10-15% high hedge with Cottrell or Whaley getting the bulk of the hedge work, and then 5-10% going under the screen. All our fundamentals were bad in all the phases--I'd even argue that the 'fix' of the high hedge/pinch the ball carrier went even worse because we didn't know what to do to deny the roll pass, and we didn't have any kind of rotation to force the rolling big to make at least a contested shot. So, i guess we did 'try' other things, but they failed just as much and as a whole we had no idea how to defend what amounts to an average pick and roll game.
Whether you are doing 10 year old rec soccer or college basketball, you need a plan and identity from the start. Do the players know what that is? Do they believe in it? Is it drilled in them during practice/games?
I don't think anyone knows what the plan was. We rode a ridiculously high usage ball handling scorer off of screens to get mismatches for iso game on offense for 2 years andif BHam or Hark wasn't hitting their shots we were probably going to lose apart from the 2-3 games a year where one of your wings actually goes off. On defense we ran 2-3 matchup/trap game which worked great if a team didn't have a good PG or once we had enough tape where you know where to attack it from. Otherwise, we were a below average man to man team both years. Hard to make that any kind of identity off of that program. And it's on tape, it's not like we're making it up.

Reactions: RebelScrub
I didn't chart the defense or anything (it was super late here and i was too angry to do more than curse), but it feels like we tried switching for about 80% of the pick and roll defensive possessions. Probably 10-15% high hedge with Cottrell or Whaley getting the bulk of the hedge work, and then 5-10% going under the screen. All our fundamentals were bad in all the phases--I'd even argue that the 'fix' of the high hedge/pinch the ball carrier went even worse because we didn't know what to do to deny the roll pass, and we didn't have any kind of rotation to force the rolling big to make at least a contested shot. So, i guess we did 'try' other things, but they failed just as much and as a whole we had no idea how to defend what amounts to an average pick and roll game.

I don't think anyone knows what the plan was. We rode a ridiculously high usage ball handling scorer off of screens to get mismatches for iso game on offense for 2 years andif BHam or Hark wasn't hitting their shots we were probably going to lose apart from the 2-3 games a year where one of your wings actually goes off. On defense we ran 2-3 matchup/trap game which worked great if a team didn't have a good PG or once we had enough tape where you know where to attack it from. Otherwise, we were a below average man to man team both years. Hard to make that any kind of identity off of that program. And it's on tape, it's not like we're making it up.
You expect to have some inkling of what the intentions are, even if they don’t look crisp game one. UNLV didn’t look good in rolling Bryant or getting crushed by Michigan, but you still saw some intentions, glimpses with what they wanted to work toward. And we’ve done just that and it’s getting sharper game by game.

Even though execution was piss poor last night, even though focus wasn’t there … the inklings of what you think the offense and defense is supposed to be … it’s uninspiring. Because we saw that offense last year … it didn’t work well and that was with better bail out players … the defense, the constant switching … it will work against many opponents to a degree … and I feel like it’s a shit defense. If you’ve got long, athletic 6-4 to 6-9 at the one through four spot, it has a much better chance of working because they can guard multiple positions … hell, we got it to work with 5-11 Wink but he was a bull defender.

It’s not even square peg/round hole syndrome. It’s a circle peg into an irregular dodecahedron hole.

Reactions: Couev
You expect to have some inkling of what the intentions are, even if they don’t look crisp game one. UNLV didn’t look good in rolling Bryant or getting crushed by Michigan, but you still saw some intentions, glimpses with what they wanted to work toward. And we’ve done just that and it’s getting sharper game by game.

Even though execution was piss poor last night, even though focus wasn’t there … the inklings of what you think the offense and defense is supposed to be … it’s uninspiring. Because we saw that offense last year … it didn’t work well and that was with better bail out players … the defense, the constant switching … it will work against many opponents to a degree … and I feel like it’s a shit defense. If you’ve got long, athletic 6-4 to 6-9 at the one through four spot, it has a much better chance of working because they can guard multiple positions … hell, we got it to work with 5-11 Wink but he was a bull defender.

It’s not even square peg/round hole syndrome. It’s a circle peg into an irregular dodecahedron hole.
Forget getting the peg through the hole and work on a frontal lobotomy for the coach!

oh my doctor GIF by David Firth

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT