ADVERTISEMENT

The Paint Hasn't Dried Coaching Speculation Thread.

I’d sit on my ass for two years and watch football and drink beer.
He might do that as a big FU to UNLV but it’s probably not a great career move. If he can somehow get a P5 OC job now he should take it. If he sits on his ass doing nothing for 2 years he’ll probably come back as a special assistant or a QB coach at some low level place like NMSU and make $150k a year while trying to work his way up.
Honestly it probably doesn’t matter either way. The UNLV football job has likely killed another career.

He might do that as a big FU to UNLV but it’s probably not a great career move. If he can somehow get a P5 OC job now he should take it. If he sits on his ass doing nothing for 2 years he’ll probably come back as a special assistant or a QB coach at some low level place like NMSU and make $150k a year while trying to work his way up.
Honestly it probably doesn’t matter either way. The UNLV football job has likely killed another career.
I believe he has to “try” to get another job. Not sure what that all entails, but that is a part of it.

Reactions: reagan21
UNLV...where coaching careers go to die.

Gotta believe Harper has a plan in place before pulling the trigger on Arroyo. He’d need donor $$ for the buyout and possibly more donor $$ for a new hire if he wants to bring in a strong replacement. UNLV has made some pretty bad coaching decisions in its history, but firing Arroyo without having a more exciting replacement lined up would set the program back at the worst possible time given P5 realignment. God please don’t let this be another UNLV special!!! 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Gotta believe Harper has a plan in place before pulling the trigger on Arroyo. He’d need donor $$ for the buyout and possibly more donor $$ for a new hire if he wants to bring in a strong replacement. UNLV has made some pretty bad coaching decisions in its history, but firing Arroyo without having a more exciting replacement lined up would set the program back at the worst possible time given P5 realignment. God please don’t let this be another UNLV special!!! 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼
This is either spot on .. Or we are screwed.

I preface this by saying no inside info. Last go around I mentioned four potential candidates for the job.

Scalley, Arroyo, Gonzales and Jay Hill (Weber State HC) All had regional ties and three of them had conference ties so they made sense.

I would not be surprised if Herman is a potential candidate and possibly already been contacted to gauge interest. Young guy. Was Meyers OC. Did very well at Houston. Texas stint was considered disappointing but he still went something like 30 and 18.

He's toured the facility. Was impressed by them. Is pretty familiar with the team having been in the booth calling a Rebs game or two.

I would absolutely be on board with that hire.

Other guy I think will get a call is Grinch the DC for USC. Knows the region well
Coached in conference at Wyoing I believe. Also a stint at WASU.

Despite no HC experience his potential price tag might be more palatable for UNLV.

Anybody else got any strong feeling about potential candidates?

I believe he has to “try” to get another job. Not sure what that all entails, but that is a part of it.
Chad Morris got a huge buyout from Arkansas and then just spent a year coaching Allen High School in Texas for a year to be able to collect it all. After getting paid then jumped back into a college coach gig.

Chad Morris got a huge buyout from Arkansas and then just spent a year coaching Allen High School in Texas for a year to be able to collect it all. After getting paid then jumped back into a college coach gig.
I love this movie!!

He also threw Tim Skipper UNLV DC in the mix.

You don't fire Arroyo risk the buyout for Tim Skipper.

Tim Skipper is a good recruiter solid football guy, but hardly the type of hire that boosters are going to line up and back.
Exactly. That would be a very UNLV sort of thing to do, but that doesn't seem like something you'd buy out of a contract for.

Arrigo also said Thad Matta going to be basketball coach.
Well … that he was spotted having dinner locally with some boosters probably gave him that idea … many people saw it. Of course, maybe it’s a huge leap between that and being next coach, but with people chomping at the bit for info … those are dots that can be connected. Shouldn’t have been said with certainty … but can see where he was coming from.

Well … that he was spotted having dinner locally with some boosters probably gave him that idea … many people saw it. Of course, maybe it’s a huge leap between that and being next coach, but with people chomping at the bit for info … those are dots that can be connected. Shouldn’t have been said with certainty … but can see where he was coming from.
He will live in infamy along with Dave McCann. Bad reporting. Very bad.

So is Derek Mason having steak dinners with Harper and boosters? Hopefully not!

If that's how he gets "scoop" then he's no better than a message board poster. He's supposed to be a professional.

Mendenhall could have a P5 job if he wants it, but although I know nothing Im not sure that he does? I read this article about him a few weeks ago. It makes it sound like he doesnt like the BS that comes with coaching, so being at UNLV the pressure definitely is lowered, or at least different. I know he has had his name tossed around for the Stanford job too. Stanford is a lot like byu, where recruiting is different. Stanford's pool is much smaller than most schools you can cross a lot of names off of the list and then go after those that you can get into school from those that remain. At byu, you are the dream school for a large number of LDS kids so those are easy to recruit, so less BS than other schools. If he truly just wants to mold kids like he says in the article then UNLV fits into that but so do a bunch of others that arent P5 schools.

Mendenhall could have a P5 job if he wants it, but although I know nothing Im not sure that he does? I read this article about him a few weeks ago. It makes it sound like he doesnt like the BS that comes with coaching, so being at UNLV the pressure definitely is lowered, or at least different. I know he has had his name tossed around for the Stanford job too. Stanford is a lot like byu, where recruiting is different. Stanford's pool is much smaller than most schools you can cross a lot of names off of the list and then go after those that you can get into school from those that remain. At byu, you are the dream school for a large number of LDS kids so those are easy to recruit, so less BS than other schools. If he truly just wants to mold kids like he says in the article then UNLV fits into that but so do a bunch of others that arent P5 schools.

Who the hell want a Coach who want to walks away? Dont say Meyer, not a fair comparison..

If that's how he gets "scoop" then he's no better than a message board poster. He's supposed to be a professional.
I don’t know how he got it. I’m just saying that was a known … I’m sure he followed up with boosters, which I learned a long time ago, can be hit and miss, them not highlighting the wishful thinking aspect of it. It could have lit the fuse and then he follows up and the info is off. It certainly happens.

Predicting is one thing, saying it with certainty is another.

Reactions: LINEBACKER_U
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT