ADVERTISEMENT

The Paint Hasn't Dried Coaching Speculation Thread.

Prime Time. He will be able to recruit at a higher level and with his swag be able to lure some elite talent atleast in MWC terms. Great coach?? I dont know but he sure turned around his team pretty quickly. That is usually a good sign of a good coach.

I’m sure a lot of players aren’t happy and there is some talent on this team. The new coach needs to be hired and re-recruit a lot of these guys. I think the new coach will be fine so long as he’s hired quickly and this thing doesn’t drag on.

Arrigo is the biggest Marcus homer I wouldn’t listen to anything he says. 90% of the unhappy players can be replaced by better players with a new coach. The transfer portal opens many doors.
Hopefully an announcement is made soon, so the new coach can come in and start building some trust with the current players. Don't want to have to start over entirely

Arrigo is the biggest Marcus homer I wouldn’t listen to anything he says. 90% of the unhappy players can be replaced by better players with a new coach. The transfer portal opens many doors.
This is the best post and take I’ve seen on the matter. Couldn’t agree more! Players can and will be replaced with better players.

Meanwhile Arrigo is off sobbing some where and making excuses for another underachieving season.

I am the furthest thing from an Arrigo fan. In fact I'm not at all.

But what he is saying there is probably pretty accurate.

Players develop bonds with coaches.

Arroyo brought in UNLVs two highest ranked recruiting classes. It's not as simple as meh they can be replaced easily should they transfer.

I am the furthest thing from an Arrigo fan. In fact I'm not at all.

But what he is saying there is probably pretty accurate.

Players develop bonds with coaches.

Arroyo brought in UNLVs two highest ranked recruiting classes. It's not as simple as meh they can be replaced easily should they transfer.
Yes it is that simple when you hire a very good coach (with given facilities). Small time thinking has to go. If Arroyo can do it, many others can as well. He was not special. In fact, the product showed that he wasn’t good enough with recruiting.

This is the best post and take I’ve seen on the matter. Couldn’t agree more! Players can and will be replaced with better players.

Meanwhile Arrigo is off sobbing some where and making excuses for another underachieving season.

They very well may be replaced with better players.

What you dont want is the cupboard being completely bare and starting from scratch.

Yes it is that simple when you hire a very good coach (with given facilities). Small time thinking has to go. If Arroyo can do it, many others can as well. He was not special.

No it isn't that simple. The hire has to be good/big enough to retain key guys off of this roster and bring in better talent.

For perspective, Arroyo brought in a top 60 class . Boise in its hey day was typically in the 50s nationally.

So history confirms it's not that easy despite your baseless claims to the contrary.

Is it possible of course. Hardly a sure thing though.

If I had to make a very uneducated guess on who we bring in next, I'd say the new guy will be one of the following:
1. A coach at a smaller school that doesn't have much in the way of contract value or buyout cost,
2. A former head coach that's now a high level assistant coach somewhere, that's on a season to season contract, thus no buy out.
3. A coach that's currently in the NFL

Unless we recently came into a bunch of money, we can't afford to buyout the contract of Arroyo, plus the contract of a HC somewhere else, plus his new contract. Just doesn't make much sense

No it isn't that simple. The hire has to be good/big enough to retain key guys off if this roster and bring in better talent.

Arroyo brought in a top 60 class . Boise in its hey day was typically in the 50s nationally.

So history confirms it's not that easy despite your baseless claims to the contrary.

Is it possible of course. Hardly a sure thing though.
Recruiting classes dont mean as much as evaluating talent. Yea they might be a high 3 star ,but are they actually that ? Look at numerous MWC teams that according to rankings we should be dominating and everyone else should be 2-3 win teams.

Here's a name that would be a high profile name, but also high risk given recent history.

Herm Edwards.

Just got canned at ASU this season, and got paid out through 2024, so he's already got a pot of cash. He has no buyout and has a lot of name recognition.

Yes it is that simple when you hire a very good coach (with given facilities). Small time thinking has to go. If Arroyo can do it, many others can as well. He was not special. In fact, the product showed that he wasn’t good enough with recruiting.
Many others can? If it is that easy then how come he has two of the highest rated classes in the history of the program?

IF they hire a good coach. Yeah and if they hire Bill Belichick I'm sure recruiting will go up. Just hiring a good coach isn't so simple. If it were they would have done it at some point in the last 40 years.

Reactions: NSU67
Recruiting classes dont mean as much as evaluating talent. Yea they might be a high 3 star ,but are they actually that ? Look at numerous MWC teams that according to rankings we should be dominating and everyone else should be 2-3 win teams.

There is truth to that. I made the same argument about some of Rice' players.

It's also one or two classes. Those players are only freshman/redshirt freshman or transfers that have been here a year. It's tough to rely on that and win immediately considering the roster he inherited. Should the results have been better? Probably. And that's part of the reason he's gone.

Recruiting rankings are an inexact science. No argument.

Here's a name that would be a high profile name, but also high risk given recent history.

Herm Edwards.

Just got canned at ASU this season, and got paid out through 2024, so he's already got a pot of cash. He has no buyout and has a lot of name recognition.

If I was a moderator I would ban you right now.

And I actually like you.

But you would be banned nonetheless for this post.

There is truth to that. I made the same argument about some of Rice' players.

It's also one or two classes. Those players are only freshman/redshirt freshman or transfers that have been here a year. It's tough to rely on that and win immediately considering the roster he inherited. Should the results have been better? Probably. And that's part of the reason he's gone.

Recruiting rankings are an inexact science. No argument.
I think there are coaches out there that are great talent evaluators. How does Wyoming, SJSU, Reno, Fresno ST, and Utah ST has all had more success to a much more higher degree at some point than we ever even came close too

Legit Names.

Gary Patterson. Does he still want to coach or is he enjoying life in the studio.

Tom Herman. Younger guy. Great at Houston. Struggled at Texas. Good recruiter. I definitely make that call though.

Scott Turner. What's he make as an OC in the NFL?

Herm Edwards.

With all due respect “No”. Thank you!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If I had to make a very uneducated guess on who we bring in next, I'd say the new guy will be one of the following:
1. A coach at a smaller school that doesn't have much in the way of contract value or buyout cost,
2. A former head coach that's now a high level assistant coach somewhere, that's on a season to season contract, thus no buy out.
3. A coach that's currently in the NFL

Unless we recently came into a bunch of money, we can't afford to buyout the contract of Arroyo, plus the contract of a HC somewhere else, plus his new contract. Just doesn't make much sense
I’m hoping it’s #2. We’ve done different cheap versions of #1 for the last 20 years and it hasn’t worked. Let’s try hiring someone that’s already been a high level college coach and doesn’t need to learn on the job. Last time we hired somebody with any experience was JR in 1999.

I think there are coaches out there that are great talent evaluators. How does Wyoming, SJSU, Reno, Fresno ST, and Utah ST has all had more success to a much more higher degree at some point than we ever even came close too

Not arguing that point I totally agree.

Simply stated that based on recruiting rankings Arroyo brought in UNLVs two highest rated classes. Classes that were in line with what Boise was bringing in.

Where the disconnect occurred I don't know.

Talent evaluation?
Personality evaluation? (Good player bad teammate)
Coaching?

All of the above is the likely answer.

AD said 'Some of candidates might be coaching in championship'

Morgan Scalley was close to being hired last time (allegedly)

Utah, in town for Pac12 championship.

Two names that are interesting.

Rich Rodriguez
Kevin Sumlin

Many others can? If it is that easy then how come he has two of the highest rated classes in the history of the program?

IF they hire a good coach. Yeah and if they hire Bill Belichick I'm sure recruiting will go up. Just hiring a good coach isn't so simple. If it were they would have done it at some point in the last 40 years.
Did you see the part about facilities in my post? The other rebel coaches didn’t have the facilities nor the full support of the university. It just seems like the university and boosters are aligning on this one. We’ll see.

But, sure, Arroyo brought in some decent talent as a whole, but not something that many others couldn’t do given the current state of the program with facilities and money being devoted.

If your contention about Arroyo bringing in amazing talent is true than that is a huge indictment on his coaching based on the overall product and results on the field.

Herm Edwards.

Dude are you serious? **** no.

• Haha
The talent on this team weren't coached up, you lose to Hawaii, and Reno has the ball at the 3, let them be un-happy, show them the door and they can go to UNR and enjoy the life at Mackey Stadium.

Reactions: RRebel
How about Bryan Harsin? Very familiar with the conference as previous Boise State head coach. Went on to Auburn before getting fired. He got a 15 million dollar buyout from his Auburn deal, so maybe he'd be willing to take on a significant pay cut to get a head coaching job that he would really make his own.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
1q
How about Bryan Harsin? Very familiar with the conference as previous Boise State head coach. Went on to Auburn before getting fired. He got a 15 million dollar buyout from his Auburn deal, so maybe he'd be willing to take on a significant pay cut to get a head coaching job that he would really make his own.

Ok.

Your allowed to post again.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT