ADVERTISEMENT

The last time UNLV went to a bowl game

reagan21

Rebel Legend
Sep 8, 2009
A senior QB who had been asked to play a different position (Herring from QB to WR) came in and played us into a bowl game. I really like Armani and know he's very young and is the future at the QB spot, BUT Sanchez HAS to play Stanton.

The ball is spread out amongst receivers MUCH better with Stanton, and that is just experience. Armani shrinks the field by zoning in on a receiver or two. It will happen for Armani, but Stanton MUST be the guy for the next 3 (and hopefully 4) games.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelBuzz
Amani has great potential, but he HAS to improve in these areas if he’s gonna lead future Rebel squads to bowl seasons and beyond:

- Accuracy
- Going through reads beyond option 1
- Pocket presence/patience

Too often, he runs upfield at first sign of pressure. Stanton has already showed this ability more than Armani in his limited time. Feel pressure, slide around it, find space, look downfield, find open man.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Amani has great potential, but he HAS to improve in these areas if he’s gonna lead future Rebel squads to bowl seasons and beyond:

- Accuracy
- Going through reads beyond option 1
- Pocket presence/patience

Too often, he runs upfield at first sign of pressure. Stanton has already showed this ability more than Armani in his limited time. Feel pressure, slide around it, find space, look downfield, find open man.

The refreshing thing with Stanton is that our WR corps looks like it is deep and talented again

I was starting to doubt that, especially since I'm watching every game on TV and can't see what is happening downfield. Stanton is much better at extending plays making reads, and seeing the entire field.

The flipside is that Armani has better arm talent (though Stanton is no slouch), fits the ball in tight windows (though can force it), and is a better running threat which I think opens up the inside running lanes for our RBs.

I agree we are a better team with Stanton at the helm, but we do sacrifice a few things. Armani is more likely to make an explosive play through the air, with HIS legs, and with LEX's legs.

Stanton is less likely to turn it over, extend drives, and get more players involved.

I would like to see Armani get at least a series in the remaining games. Hopefully he will learn from Stanton's patience and vision. But I think for the future, continuing to getting him reps will pay off. Typically I hate running 2 QBs, but not necessarily in this situation.

Can’t believe someone said Armani has better arm talent than Stanton. Stanton has more touch and better arm strength and is MUCH more accurate. Can’t see that? wow

Reactions: willlevi
Seriously? Those passes Armani puts on a rope 30 yards downfield? How about that pass last game between 3 defenders? When has Stanton done that?

Stanton has really a good arm, still struggles with touch on his shorter passes, but is exponentially better than last season.

Reactions: colonelreb
Can’t believe someone said Armani has better arm talent than Stanton. Stanton has more touch and better arm strength and is MUCH more accurate. Can’t see that? wow
Yeah, I'm dcut on this one. The arm strength really isn't that close. Armani's arm is ridiculously strong. Stanton's accuracy is obviously much higher but that comes with reps and time. This is Stanton's 5th year playing college football. He's had A LOT more time than Armani. We need to win now so Stanton has to be the guy. I do agree that Armani should get some reps during the game. I just worry that he'd press and try to show the coaches he should be the guy. Also, it could damage his mental state if he gets thrown out there for a series or two and is quickly pulled. That can't be good for one's self esteem.

Reactions: dcut03
I don’t mind if someone disagrees with the arm talent of either QB. However; I have a problem with saying Armani should get a series or two. Why on earth do you want to give Stanton less snaps in a game?
He accounted for EVERY point vs Hawaii. He led us to victory in Fresno. What about him? Telling him that yea you did all that but you still have to step aside so Armani can get some snaps is stupid. We need the best we got every snap for the next three games. Forget about hurting AR’s feelings...

Could damage his mental state?

I sure hope not

If you're a winner you're a winner you'll find a way to win. If you're mentally weak and cannot cope with situations only suggests that you need to transfer out. IMO

If you're a winner you're a winner you'll find a way to win. If you're mentally weak and cannot cope with situations only suggests that you need to transfer out. IMO
That's ridiculous. That's exactly why college basketball has become a $hit show with all the transfers. You're mad your coach is playing someone else...you need to transfer. You do know that people can overcome mental issues. People can overcome their shortcomings. He's 19 and he came here to play. He gets injured and then watches someone take his job. It sucks. It is difficult. I don't know Armani so there is a chance this is not the case. That's why I said I hope he is strong mentally.

I don’t mind if someone disagrees with the arm talent of either QB. However; I have a problem with saying Armani should get a series or two. Why on earth do you want to give Stanton less snaps in a game?
He accounted for EVERY point vs Hawaii. He led us to victory in Fresno. What about him? Telling him that yea you did all that but you still have to step aside so Armani can get some snaps is stupid. We need the best we got every snap for the next three games. Forget about hurting AR’s feelings...

It's not about his feelings, its about his development.

We have Stanton for a few more games, we have Armani for a few more years.

There is a reason why they picked Armani in the beginning of the season, it is because he is the future. Stanton and Rogers were pretty close in camp from reports. They went with the guy with the higher upside, and the one that will ultimately take this program to the next level.

You play Armani because the running game is better with him in the line up. Look it up.
Defenses have to account for him more with every handoff, it freezes linebackers, and it opens up holes for Lex to run up the middle. All of those long runs this season? Have all been with Rogers at the helm.

Now I'm not advocating for Rogers to start. Stanton should start the game and get the majority of the snaps. I just think Armani should get touches too. Be a change of pace.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT