ADVERTISEMENT

Marion Post-Bowl Game

If you're running a 3-3-5 and you're not blitzing or stunting ever, then I don't understand what the point is. Regardless, you have to be able to generate pressure at some point in full coverage.
To run this scheme, the guys upfront need to be studs and we don’t have those horses yet. I think there should be different looks depending on the opponent some 3-3-5 or 4-3 and it should change based on the feel of the game. We don’t have the quality 3 upfront to just run a 3-3-5 constantly. Let’s bring in some stout guys up front and then play to our strengths!

Last edited:
He looked frustrated with Maiava a few times when the qb came off the field

Or the stuff that worked against the UTEP's and UNMs of the world wasn't working against better opposition.

UNLV ran a ton of different formations last night. As many as Kansas? Don't know. But it wasn't like we were lining up in I formation every play. We were missing two backs last night. DeJesus had to line up in the backfield a lot. I'm sure that had something to do with what he was able to run.

They put 36 on the board. Against a P5 school.

Another drive ended in zero with missed FG. Another promising drive was cut short when Maiava threw a pick. Into triple coverage.

Marion's not irreplaceable, nobody is, but not sure what more you want out of the offense..

Freshman of the year at QB. WR posted crazy numbers. Top 10 in rushing TDs. Top 40ish in scoring and total offense.

In his first year. With a freshman QB..
Not to mention 2 TDs thrown to receivers with no one within 10yards of them

He looked frustrated with Maiava a few times when the qb came off the field
That’s nearly every possession when we don’t move the ball or he makes a questionable read.

I love Marion’s face when questioning JM’s decisions. He’s like “I designed this offense and this is not what it should look like.”

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
That’s nearly every possession when we don’t move the ball or he makes a questionable read.

I love Marion’s face when questioning JM’s decisions. He’s like “I designed this offense and this is not what it should look like.”
I was at the game so obviously I couldn't see his face. But, last night I saw the espnu replay and when I saw Marion's face to me it looked like he was saying "C'mon man, my grandma could have made that read". lol

Reactions: reagan21
I was at the game so obviously I couldn't see his face. But, last night I saw the espnu replay and when I saw Marion's face to me it looked like he was saying "C'mon man, my grandma could have made that read". lol
That’s how he is every game.

Year 1 of a completely new everything. Successful in almost every way.
Year 2 with continuity in almost everything should be even better.
Special teams was actually special and not in the short bus kind of way.
Defense is in need of serious work and personnel upgrades.

If you're running a 3-3-5 and you're not blitzing or stunting ever, then I don't understand what the point is. Regardless, you have to be able to generate pressure at some point in full coverage.
We don't have the players to run the 3-3-5 correctly. I have a feeling with all the players on Defense jumping in to the portal we will replace ASAP with quality players.

Reactions: Couev
Normally I would be worried about losing players, but I have a feeling that portal transfers will be an upgrade from most of those who leave.

Marion for sure does that every game, but me and others are crazy for pushing for a portal QB that Marion may have connections too and knows to come in and compete with Maiava.
I hope it is not that side-arm slinging QB from the JC rank. I know that they are looking for a dual threat QB for Marion's offense but that player is not MWC caliber. Definitely not someone who will compete with Maiava. So it have to be somebody else.

I hope it is not that side-arm slinging QB from the JC rank. I know that they are looking for a dual threat QB for Marion's offense but that player is not MWC caliber. Definitely not someone who will compete with Maiava. So it have to be somebody else.
Dunno, nobody thought DeJesus was MWC caliber, much less an All American second teamer.

Dunno, nobody thought DeJesus was MWC caliber, much less an All American second teamer.
Not a single person say that about DeJesus on this board.

But you're right though, we just dont know. The coaches know more than we do. I just feels like we are not paying attentions to our lack of defensive plays. We need to build that defense to near perfection first if we want to competes in the MWC and Nationally.

I just saw the end of the U of A vs. Oklahoma game and the play by play guys we’re saying how the Wildcats last offseason they got playmakers on offense but focused on improving their defense and Jedd Fisch filled those holes and now they have their 4th 10 win season in program history. Coach Odom as a defensive coach has to see this type of effort is what we need to compete against top teams.

Fix the defense Coach!

I just saw the end of the U of A vs. Oklahoma game and the play by play guys we’re saying how the Wildcats last offseason they got playmakers on offense but focused on improving their defense and Jedd Fisch filled those holes and now they have their 4th 10 win season in program history. Coach Odom as a defensive coach has to see this type of effort is what we need to compete against top teams.

Fix the defense Coach!
I saw that. And here is the thing sadly. Coach Fisch is considered cool and fun to play for. Another thing is that Arizona has an established reputation. Lots of kids that dont get offers from SC go to Arizona because thats the next best thing and the scene out there is "fun."

Barry Odom is business-like and thats it. You think a lot of players will want to play for that when they probably played for someone that is so friendly and lets them do whatever? Im talking about kids coming from HS or kids that who were allowed to do whatever at their previous stop.

Exhibit A: Zavier Carter. He was able to do whatever he wanted at LSU, was forced out, and then came to UNLV and didnt like it from the start. He made no mention of UNLV on his social media until probably late summer. Then gets in a practice spat with a coach and gets kicked out of practice and then basically walks off the field and leaves the team. Doesnt get to travel to Michigan. Then we see him against Wyoming and i think CSU. Then what? Nothing.

For the record, I like Odom's demeanor and how he carries himself. I love the culture he has built here in such a short time. But a lot of kids will not want to play for him. Certain kids with certain mentalities will only turn up for a coach who relates to them or has their same tendencies. Thats why kids want to play for Marion; they can relate. The only kids I hear that want to play for Odom and Scherer are the kids that used to play for them. and most of those kids didnt have a spot except UNLV. Where would Dom Gicinto have gone? Where would landon rogers have gone? where would jackson woodard have gone? Im truly asking..and I love Woodard and what he brings to this team.

All in all, what Im trying to say that is we are not at a place where it is deemed cool to go to. A lot of these recruits that signed for 2024 didnt even know what UNLV was two years ago. I agree with everything you said @rebel5280. Im kind of just rambling on but also voicing stuff that I've been told by players, coaches, recruits, families, etc.

Not a single person say that about DeJesus on this board.

But you're right though, we just dont know. The coaches know more than we do. I just feels like we are not paying attentions to our lack of defensive plays. We need to build that defense to near perfection first if we want to competes in the MWC and Nationally.
Just have to be patient.

Two things, there’s not a lot of attrition and the staff wants guys that want to be at unlv and not necessarily the NIL or instagram photos etc. Odom has consistently said he’s going to be picky about who they pick up. They want guys that really want to be here.

I saw that. And here is the thing sadly. Coach Fisch is considered cool and fun to play for. Another thing is that Arizona has an established reputation. Lots of kids that dont get offers from SC go to Arizona because thats the next best thing and the scene out there is "fun."

Barry Odom is business-like and thats it. You think a lot of players will want to play for that when they probably played for someone that is so friendly and lets them do whatever? Im talking about kids coming from HS or kids that who were allowed to do whatever at their previous stop.

Exhibit A: Zavier Carter. He was able to do whatever he wanted at LSU, was forced out, and then came to UNLV and didnt like it from the start. He made no mention of UNLV on his social media until probably late summer. Then gets in a practice spat with a coach and gets kicked out of practice and then basically walks off the field and leaves the team. Doesnt get to travel to Michigan. Then we see him against Wyoming and i think CSU. Then what? Nothing.

For the record, I like Odom's demeanor and how he carries himself. I love the culture he has built here in such a short time. But a lot of kids will not want to play for him. Certain kids with certain mentalities will only turn up for a coach who relates to them or has their same tendencies. Thats why kids want to play for Marion; they can relate. The only kids I hear that want to play for Odom and Scherer are the kids that used to play for them. and most of those kids didnt have a spot except UNLV. Where would Dom Gicinto have gone? Where would landon rogers have gone? where would jackson woodard have gone? Im truly asking..and I love Woodard and what he brings to this team.

All in all, what Im trying to say that is we are not at a place where it is deemed cool to go to. A lot of these recruits that signed for 2024 didnt even know what UNLV was two years ago. I agree with everything you said @rebel5280. Im kind of just rambling on but also voicing stuff that I've been told by players, coaches, recruits, families, etc.
I know Arroyo and Sanchez went for the razzle dazzle, cool factor in selling the program and look how they did. They went heavy on social media with the jersey crap and other superficial stuff. Yielded tremendous results.

Kidding aside, Odom and staff have a large list of recruits. They whittle it down based on situational football iq and work ethic. I know on several occasions Odom has said they know immediately if a recruit is right for unlv when they visit, mentioned that they have kids that want to do photo shoots and all the social media crap right away.

They’ve rejected recruits because of those things. They are there to play football. With the exception of Hauck, none of our previous coaches would ever kick a talent like Carter off the field.

Bottom line is, Odom is instilling a championship culture. He reminds me a lot of an executive I know that literally took a franchise in the toilet and turned them into champions. it wasn’t overnight but he had numerous data points and charts to project lineups two three years down the road. The guy was obsessed with roster building and culture.

This guy can talk your head off, going two three hours about everything about a team. The most important thing to this guy was character and willingness to go all out for teammates. That’s something that’s kind of been lost in today’s sports scene. The idea of playing for the guy next to you is a foreign concept to some of these players.

This is primarily why Odom is focused on the HS ranks for building a roster. He’s not going to field a bunch of jags and mercenaries for hire.

And now my rants over….

Change. You can get someone to change who they are on the inside until about the age of 8. But when people reach adulthood they are generally fixed in place. Yes, if they find the Lord they can change. And if they get sober they can change. A near death experience can sometimes generate change. And here and there you can find exceptions. But most folks just are who they are. Odom appears to be a hard working, no-nonsense type of man and that is the way he'll be. Nobody is ever going to say he's "cool". But for me, I prefer "winner".

UNLV isn’t close to being in a place where it can be picky about the demeanor of a coach. Fun, all business, drill seargent, honestly I don’t care what type of coach it is at this point, just win and build a program with a solid foundation. I see Odom doing exactly that. Personally, I prefer his approach. It seems to be built upon foundational principles that he sticks to… respect, love of the game, playing for one another, continued learning and growth, honesty and transparency, treating each other as adults. Love all of it. He is not a showman but about 100% football. Notice how every question during pressers he answers with lengthy, detailed responses. The guy loves what he does, loves the game, loves building players into a team and into winners, loves seeing them grow in the game and as young men. He’s the type of coach I wouldn’t hesitate to send my son to play for.

UNLV isn’t close to being in a place where it can be picky about the demeanor of a coach. Fun, all business, drill seargent, honestly I don’t care what type of coach it is at this point, just win and build a program with a solid foundation. I see Odom doing exactly that. Personally, I prefer his approach. It seems to be built upon foundational principles that he sticks to… respect, love of the game, playing for one another, continued learning and growth, honesty and transparency, treating each other as adults. Love all of it. He is not a showman but about 100% football. Notice how every question during pressers he answers with lengthy, detailed responses. The guy loves what he does, loves the game, loves building players into a team and into winners, loves seeing them grow in the game and as young men. He’s the type of coach I wouldn’t hesitate to send my son to play for.
And Vegas is already a pretty cool place to play, especially in Allegiant Stadium. Not sure UNLV necessarily needs a “fun” coach to attract kids to LV. There’s plenty of glitz and fun in the city and around the program. Probably better to balance that with a more business-like coach.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
Not sure what he's referring to here. Anyone?

If Im not mistaken, alot of coaches are at AFCA right now before the National title game similar to the ones held before the Final 4. BM is speaking there and Napier mustve been hearing the rumblings or at least mentioned something about it... Barry Odom is as well

The fact that theres any flirting going on publicly is crazy tbh
Considering that hes publicly also said hes returning to UNLV and was happy about it, yeah.. although getting an offensive minded coach like Napier to comment on what your doing Im sure is rather flattering, even if you're not considering a move this year.

• Haha
Reactions: lobbybuu
I get that he's a good OC at our level (yet to be decided at a good P5) but how do you conduct yourself in this manner knowing that you're burning another bridge behind you?

Also, that baby mama has to know that she's raising that kid on her own for the next 18...
Without knowing him or the context, it appears very unprofessional. This does seem to be his MO, based on comments from fans at his previous stops (Pitt).

Once again, without knowing the intimate details or context, it’s hard to say. But I can’t imagine someone like Odom being ok with these tactics. Just doesn’t seem it aligns with his way of doing things.

Without knowing him or the context, it appears very unprofessional. This does seem to be his MO, based on comments from fans at his previous stops (Pitt).

Once again, without knowing the intimate details or context, it’s hard to say. But I can’t imagine someone like Odom being ok with these tactics. Just doesn’t seem it aligns with his way of doing things.
So what do you think Odom will do to Marion because of these tactics? Sit him down? Warn him?

So what do you think Odom will do to Marion because of these tactics? Sit him down? Warn him?
What will he do to him? Don’t see any reprimanding taking place here, especially publicly.

This day and age, just have to go with the flow. From Odom’s point of view, you want to see your assistants be promoted into higher roles (for Marion, P5 OC or HC somewhere). That means you’re finding success. Doesn’t mean you want to see it done so publicly.

My observation in the previous post was that the Marion’s approach appears to be polar opposite from how Odom conducts himself. This is based on outside perspective only.

Odoms like a good manager... let his supervisors deal with their departments so he can make the buisness run.. he's not going to say anything because that's part of coaching. Always has been, some coaches are more expressive than others, as long as you aren't crossing that line...

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Marion has been praising Odom and everyone else on the staff for the last week/month.

I don’t see the beef. Odom has been supportive of Marion seeking opportunities that are better than unlv.

I don’t see Florida offering him but he’s obviously trolling gator nation.

What will he do to him? Don’t see any reprimanding taking place here, especially publicly.

This day and age, just have to go with the flow. From Odom’s point of view, you want to see your assistants be promoted into higher roles (for Marion, P5 OC or HC somewhere). That means you’re finding success. Doesn’t mean you want to see it done so publicly.

My observation in the previous post was that the Marion’s approach appears to be polar opposite from how Odom conducts himself. This is based on outside perspective only.
I agree that their approaches are polar opposites. Its kind of interesting to see tbh

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT