ADVERTISEMENT

Marion Post-Bowl Game

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
Are we sold on Marion for sure staying next season or is there a chance that he looks to move on now that the bowl game is over with?

A lot of Gator fans are pushing for him and Keith Miller, Marion's good friend is actively and publicly pushing for UF to hire him. Miller is a very well know and respected individual in grassroots sports and has tons of connections.

I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are?

I trust Odom will bring in a solid replacement. Is Marion ready for the sec gauntlet. He’s a pretty good up and coming offensive coach but I do believe he still has a lot to learn before being able to compete with sec defenses.

I think if there is a chance for him to better his situation, he’ll take it. Whether or not Florida takes him though, is another question. Napier’s leash is quite short these days I’d think, so he has to make the right choice. Would be a tough position for Marion to get himself into and find success, but people in general don’t seem to worry about that kind of thing. At the end of the day it would be more money and a job in the SEC so I think those 2 factors would make Marion jump at the opportunity if it was given to him.

Talking to my florida friends, Napier has this yr to turn it around, better beat Miami/FSU for sure and play Georgia tight or he's gone. With Texas/Oklahoma on board, Florida could slip to best 10 place SEC team. Lots of pressure on Napier and AD!

Florida lost Etienne to Georgia which could make things a bit less enticing.

Are we sold on Marion for sure staying next season or is there a chance that he looks to move on now that the bowl game is over with?

A lot of Gator fans are pushing for him and Keith Miller, Marion's good friend is actively and publicly pushing for UF to hire him. Miller is a very well know and respected individual in grassroots sports and has tons of connections.

If Marion leaves we will lose a few players. Jet being one of them. Georgia and Gainesville are just a few hours apart.

As a lifelong Gator fan, this offense would get absolutely destroyed in SEC. Coaches and defense too good and fast for gimmicks. Also I can't see Napier bringing in someone like Marion this late in recruiting process.

Napier is going to get fired and there's a lot of sentiment after the Netflix special to bring Urban back. If he doesn't go like 9-3, he's going to get fired and there will be a ton of $$ behind an Urban push

SEC will chew Marion alive. It’s a pressure cooker and he won’t last more than a season with Sunbelt Billy. I follow the gators since Urban and Tebow took CFB by storm.

The GoGo isn’t what Florida wants. They want to return to the urban/spurrier days of throwing it deep and utilizing that blazing speed of their WRs.

There’s almost no way Napier gets another year, they lost Etienne.

Reactions: bcvegaspt

Great if he stays.

Won't lose sleep if he leaves.

Can’t lose sleep on coaches trying to better their situation. Coordinators are always searching for that better job until they are the head ball coach. His history has shown he isn’t loyal to one coach or program and has already interviewed for jobs. Odom lost Petrino and got Marion well after he was hired… don’t see why he wouldn’t go and find a formidable replacement for Marion if he bounces.

I’m not sold on Marion
Yeah, unless there's a jump in play calling next season between him and Maiava I'm not losing sleep when he goes elsewhere. Play calling against big time opponents just got vanilla and simple and I didn't see anything special about the offense. Kansas ran more odd formations last night than we did and our offense just tried the same things over and over.

I’m not sold on Marion
Well he called the best offense in the conference, it was like night and day vs Arroyo’s outdated offense.

Everyone has to get better this off-season including Marion, should spend some time self scouting and looking at bad calls etc. I couldn’t believe last nights 4th and 1 call. I remember Odom saying he does give input on 4th down calls and I’d like to know what went down prior to that call.

But look, you can make that call at unlv but at Florida/SEC. You pull that stunt and you WILL get crucified and that kind of thing sticks with a coordinator and future prospects. You look at Jim McElwain, former FL head coach and they ran him out of town real fast. Now he’s coaching in Siberia, Michigan.

I like Marion, I like the different looks, I liked the utilization of different runners and fresh legs. But I'm not going to tab him as irreplaceable, either. It's pretty evident to me that he has a very wandering eye and if he doesn't leave this year, it's next, not next year, the next. Odom does his homework and I think we will be fine.

I want better lines, I want a better secondary. All that is a tall task, especially when making them better means depth as well ... but I think Odom is up to the task.

I like Marion, I like the different looks, I liked the utilization of different runners and fresh legs. But I'm not going to tab him as irreplaceable, either. It's pretty evident to me that he has a very wandering eye and if he doesn't leave this year, it's next, not next year, the next. Odom does his homework and I think we will be fine.

I want better lines, I want a better secondary. All that is a tall task, especially when making them better means depth as well ... but I think Odom is up to the task.
Ditto!

All this other crap being tossed around is ridiculous! Just get better up front and games like the last 3 will be fewer and fewer, meaning a legitimate football team not one that can only beat weak teams!

OL needs one or two upgrades. They were servicable. This year, couple of younger guys should improve.

DL...Running a three man front they all need to be able to occupy one sometimes two OL guys to keep them off LBs and allow them to run free. To me fix this and it cures a lot of other issues.

DBs we have a couple decent guys but could definitely use an upgrade at SF spots. I don't put all the struggles of the secondary on them alone. The lack of pass rush really left them out there way too long in coverage. They definitely weren't great but there are a couple guys that return next year that are solid and should improve.

I’d be upset if Marion left simply because of the continuity aspect. I really think Maiava is mediocre. I know he’s young but the lack of pocket awareness and the multiple devastating turnovers the last few games has been brutal. Yeah on paper he had a solid game last night but I also watched our WR make plays that carried those stats. Don’t even get me started on the defense. They need an overhaul.

I’d be upset if Marion left simply because of the continuity aspect. I really think Maiava is mediocre. I know he’s young but the lack of pocket awareness and the multiple devastating turnovers the last few games has been brutal. Yeah on paper he had a solid game last night but I also watched our WR make plays that carried those stats. Don’t even get me started on the defense. They need an overhaul.
KU quarterback had 3 interceptions & his receivers had to make some ridiculous catches so I guess he is mediocre as well

Reactions: dcut03

I missed this during the game.
I saw that live. I wanted to know that that dude was saying and to whom.

I like the way Marion coaches and I have a similar demeanor when I coach, but a lot of people are ribbed the wrong way. If you’re not careful it comes off as VERY condescending. High standards and wondering and questioning decisions is not for everyone.

Reactions: Homeskillett

I like the way Marion coaches and I have a similar demeanor when I coach, but a lot of people are ribbed the wrong way. If you’re not careful it comes off as VERY condescending. High standards and wondering and questioning decisions is not for everyone.
Is that Akeem Davis that he was cursing at?

Playcalling!

My initial reaction on the 4th and 1 to Ricky White was what the hell.

But that's more on QB than actually call.

I guess we could debate even having a deep route on that play.

But reality is there were 4 possibly 5 if the back leaked out eligible. Maiava looked at White the entire time. Never checked down or to another receiver. Young QB going to his security blanket? Don't know. But it wasn't like White was the only option. Maiava is young and you have to live with some of those mistakes or missed reads.

UNLV had its best offensive showing in years, and yet....

Sure you can question a play here and there. Can do it in any game you watch.

But overall the offense was pretty damn good and the numbers back that up.

OL needs one or two upgrades. They were servicable. This year, couple of younger guys should improve.

DL...Running a three man front they all need to be able to occupy one sometimes two OL guys to keep them off LBs and allow them to run free. To me fix this and it cures a lot of other issues.

DBs we have a couple decent guys but could definitely use an upgrade at SF spots. I don't put all the struggles of the secondary on them alone. The lack of pass rush really left them out there way too long in coverage. They definitely weren't great but there are a couple guys that return next year that are solid and should improve.
If we’re running an odd DL front, we need odd front guys. Particularly attention needs to go at nose tackle. We’re in dire need of someone butch to mix it up in the trenches. He needs to be a freak athlete that can punish teams for not double teaming him.

There has to be some starting nose tackle in the SEC that will come to Vegas for a year long buffet pass or something.

• Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Marion turned UNLV’s offense into something to talk about, even beyond the LV valley. Pretty tall task and gave the program an added boost in recognition beyond the record. If he can jump to the SEC good for him. I won’t lose (much) sleep. He’s shown he has very little if any loyalty and I trust Odom will make a good decision on a replacement. With a young QB with a high ceiling, an All-American WR and a couple other good one coming in, and a stable of running backs, plus the freedom Odom gives to his OC, I suspect Odom will not have a tough time finding a decent replacement. Biggest concern is the team having to adopt a new system but even then my guess is Odom would bring in someone who runs a similar style offense.

Yeah, unless there's a jump in play calling next season between him and Maiava I'm not losing sleep when he goes elsewhere. Play calling against big time opponents just got vanilla and simple and I didn't see anything special about the offense. Kansas ran more odd formations last night than we did and our offense just tried the same things over and over.
What are you guys talking about???? We scored the most points by any UNLV offense in years and did it with a freshmen QB. Nothing special about the offense? The games that we lost in the end really comes down to the disparity in talent. Boise has the horses and same with Kansas and we are about even with San Jose. I don’t understand the hate or disdain with the best OC we’ve had in ages. Good lord sometimes we need a reality check. There is a reason why Marion is getting interest from programs all over. Has it occurred to you why he maybe gets “vanilla” is because he knows the limitations at the QB position with a freshmen. We saw how the kid can make very dumb mistakes in key areas.

If you’re not sold on Marion that’s fine, but good god I can’t imagine what you must think of the DC then! Atrocious defense.
That defense is atrocious on a different level. It was so f*cking ugly on so many plays.

If you’re not sold on Marion that’s fine, but good god I can’t imagine what you must think of the DC then! Atrocious defense.
Lack of depth caught up with Rebels. Our best linebacker and most of the team was slipping on the grass all night long. Kansas was quicker but we did a heck of a job on a 3ooo yard running back. Missed coverages in the first half came back with no stops on 3d and 5 in the second. Great game and no embarrassment at all.

Or the stuff that worked against the UTEP's and UNMs of the world wasn't working against better opposition.

UNLV ran a ton of different formations last night. As many as Kansas? Don't know. But it wasn't like we were lining up in I formation every play. We were missing two backs last night. DeJesus had to line up in the backfield a lot. I'm sure that had something to do with what he was able to run.

They put 36 on the board. Against a P5 school.

Another drive ended in zero with missed FG. Another promising drive was cut short when Maiava threw a pick. Into triple coverage.

Marion's not irreplaceable, nobody is, but not sure what more you want out of the offense..

Freshman of the year at QB. WR posted crazy numbers. Top 10 in rushing TDs. Top 40ish in scoring and total offense.

In his first year. With a freshman QB..

Or the stuff that worked against the UTEP's and UNMs of the world wasn't working against better opposition.

UNLV ran a ton of different formations last night. As many as Kansas? Don't know. But it wasn't like we were lining up in I formation every play. We were missing two backs last night. DeJesus had to line up in the backfield a lot. I'm sure that had something to do with what he was able to run.

They put 36 on the board. Against a P5 school.

Another drive ended in zero with missed FG. Another promising drive was cut short when Maiava threw a pick. Into triple coverage.

Marion's not irreplaceable, nobody is, but not sure what more you want out of the offense..

Freshman of the year at QB. WR posted crazy numbers. Top 10 in rushing TDs. Top 40ish in scoring and total offense.

In his first year. With a freshman QB..
Exactly

Reactions: goraphareb

I'm not certain I understand the idea that the play calling is vanilla.

When things work it's the players executed and did great (partially true). When things don't its play calling.

Lester breaks off a 20 yard run great job.

Same play gets stuffed, stupid play calling.

Every OC is going to call something questionable.

But I think you look at the overall results. And by and large they were really good this year.

What are you guys talking about???? We scored the most points by any UNLV offense in years and did it with a freshmen QB. Nothing special about the offense? The games that we lost in the end really comes down to the disparity in talent. Boise has the horses and same with Kansas and we are about even with San Jose. I don’t understand the hate or disdain with the best OC we’ve had in ages. Good lord sometimes we need a reality check. There is a reason why Marion is getting interest from programs all over. Has it occurred to you why he maybe gets “vanilla” is because he knows the limitations at the QB position with a freshmen. We saw how the kid can make very dumb mistakes in key areas.
A lot of people their first instinct is to blame coaching. UNLV had one of the most successful offensives statistically in the country. This was legitimately the second best offense we have had in the last 40 years. With a freshman QB who by the way was the freshman of the year. And Marion had NOTHING to do with that?? Sorry not buying it. So I would like him to stay because I think he is good and for continuity, especially having a developing freshman going into his sophomore year not having to learn a new offense. But that said, if he leaves I am not worried and know Odom already has this taken care of. But perfect world, sure I would like him back.

I think for the most part Marion called a pretty good game. I think the only really poorly called series was the second one in the first half where we were trying to continue to attack the edges with deJesus and Kansas was basically coming out and attacking the edges from the secondary. Other than that we were having a hard time getting a lot of push up front AND absorbing the 4 man pass rush packages. We got bull rushed all night and their depth on the fronts really showed.

My problem with our version of the 3-3-5 is that we run it very conservatively, and if you're going to drop 7 or 8 nearly every snap then you have to have some combination of DL who can get a pass rush, MLBs who understand their role in the zone game, and corners and safeties that can play consistently technically well. Ideally, you get better coverage because then you can start sending some of the more exotic blitzes that make a 3-3-5 a problem to deal with. I think against Kansas we came in with the same gameplan we did against Boise. Don't let the big time HB beat you, try and cotain the athletic QB for beating you with his legs and make him beat you with his arm. We made things too easy and Bean played a ridiculous game apart from the 3rd quarter--but when your zone in the middle of the field is bad everything starts to fall apart especially when we're playing a ton of cover 1.

I think some of our weakness in the 3-3-5 this year was personnel driven, but I also think our personnel sort of forced us to play more zone than we'd like, and safeties jumping early routes and MLBs in tampa 2 packages not getting depth killed us all year. Kansas would have beaten us by 30 if they didn't decide to come out and play The Longest Yard style football.

No one is saying the offense wasn't good. That's not the problem. The problem is when your defense can't stop anyone you can't afford to be conservative on your play calling and we definitely go conservative vs good teams after the first drive. Add in situations where there's a penalty and our play calling reverts to what we saw under previous staffs. Dive plays and bubble screens on 3rd and long. It's not until we're down 17 points(which happened like 6 times this year) that the offense ditches being conservative and gets aggressive. Look at thecrunning game, while it scored TDs, it wasn't nearly as successful the last half of the season as it was the first, why? He created the offense, its not like hes just copying from someone elses playbook, so he should be able to change things up enough to keep defenses guessingon run plays. So yeah it got vanilla at times and put us behind the stick. Add in player mistakes and we lost possessions that turned into points for other teams. He doesn't walk on water, he's a good coordinator that ran a good offense, but that doesn't mean it's not without faults that almost certainly can be improved upon with a second season.

I'm not certain I understand the idea that the play calling is vanilla.

When things work it's the players executed and did great (partially true). When things don't its play calling.

Lester breaks off a 20 yard run great job.

Same play gets stuffed, stupid play calling.

Every OC is going to call something questionable.

But I think you look at the overall results. And by and large they were really good this year.
I’ve always said that playcalling in general is overrated. It almost always boils down to players and execution. This is why changing play callers almost never works.

That being said, I have been a critical of playcalling at times this season and do think that Marion can improve in this area. Where playcalling is a factor is when you become predictable in what/when you call certain plays. There have been times where I’ve predicted what we were about to run and I am no Tony Romo. If I have a good feeling of what we are about to run, then I am going to guess that the defense does to. No amount of execution can overcome that. One of the things I think good coaches do is self scout and figure out where they can improve. If Marion does this and adjusts, I think the offense can be even better than it was this year.

I think for the most part Marion called a pretty good game. I think the only really poorly called series was the second one in the first half where we were trying to continue to attack the edges with deJesus and Kansas was basically coming out and attacking the edges from the secondary. Other than that we were having a hard time getting a lot of push up front AND absorbing the 4 man pass rush packages. We got bull rushed all night and their depth on the fronts really showed.

My problem with our version of the 3-3-5 is that we run it very conservatively, and if you're going to drop 7 or 8 nearly every snap then you have to have some combination of DL who can get a pass rush, MLBs who understand their role in the zone game, and corners and safeties that can play consistently technically well. Ideally, you get better coverage because then you can start sending some of the more exotic blitzes that make a 3-3-5 a problem to deal with. I think against Kansas we came in with the same gameplan we did against Boise. Don't let the big time HB beat you, try and cotain the athletic QB for beating you with his legs and make him beat you with his arm. We made things too easy and Bean played a ridiculous game apart from the 3rd quarter--but when your zone in the middle of the field is bad everything starts to fall apart especially when we're playing a ton of cover 1.

I think some of our weakness in the 3-3-5 this year was personnel driven, but I also think our personnel sort of forced us to play more zone than we'd like, and safeties jumping early routes and MLBs in tampa 2 packages not getting depth killed us all year. Kansas would have beaten us by 30 if they didn't decide to come out and play The Longest Yard style football.
Yes that is the biggest problem IMO is not being able to generate pressure with our defensive front which you have to do for that to be successful. Followed closely by our defensive backs not understanding or communicating in the zone, numerous times saw a guy get passed off in the zone and the receiver doesn’t get picked up or a DB thinking he will get passed off and he doesn’t and instead you have two guys on one receiver with another wide open.

Yes that is the biggest problem IMO is not being able to generate pressure with our defensive front which you have to do for that to be successful. Followed closely by our defensive backs not understanding or communicating in the zone, numerous times saw a guy get passed off in the zone and the receiver doesn’t get picked up or a DB thinking he will get passed off and he doesn’t and instead you have two guys on one receiver with another wide open.
If you're running a 3-3-5 and you're not blitzing or stunting ever, then I don't understand what the point is. Regardless, you have to be able to generate pressure at some point in full coverage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT