ADVERTISEMENT

Does UNLV make a bowl game in the 2024-25 season?

reagan21

Rebel Legend
Sep 8, 2009
Our schedule is (not necessarily in this order)

@ Houston
Utah Tech (Dixie)
@ Kansas
Army
@ Boise State
@ hawaii
@San Jose State
@ Wyoming
Reno
Reno, CA
Reno. UT
SDSU

With the new Pac2 agreement, we will swap a MWC game with either WSU or OSU.

Pending the QB, and even with our current defense I see at least 6 wins there.

I vote a resounding YES!

2-2 OOC

Ws - @hawaii, Reno, Utah State, Fresno, SDSU

Ls - Boise, SJSU, Wyoming,

That’s 7-5. It could possibly change depending on who is swapped out and whether we play OSU or WSU

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RebelinWA

@ Houston
Utah Tech (Dixie)
@ Kansas
Army
@ Boise State
@ hawaii
@San Jose State
@ Wyoming
Reno
Reno, CA
Reno. UT
SDSU

I vote a resounding YES!

2-2 OOC

That’s 7-5. It could possibly change depending on who is swapped out and whether we play OSU or WSU
That's actually a tough schedule, especially the first 5 games. Road games @ Houston and @ Kansas will be really rough. Utah Tech should be an easy win, but Army is no slouch either. Very disciplined and tough. They currently are on a 3 game winning streak with a 23-3 win over Air Force. Then on the road 4 games in a row, starting with Boise. Ouch

Edit: missed the part that they aren't necessarily in order.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I thought Army canceled the game? I suspect if that was the case, that it would be either replaced by Wazzu or Oregon State or another FCS school like Weber State.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

@ Houston
Utah Tech (Dixie)
@ Kansas
Army
@ Boise State
@ hawaii
@San Jose State
@ Wyoming
Reno
Reno, CA
Reno. UT
SDSU

I vote a resounding YES!

2-2 OOC

7-5

I thought Army canceled the game? I suspect if that was the case, that it would be either replaced by Wazzu or Oregon State or another FCS school like Weber State.
The pac2 MWC deal is a 7 + 1 deal where MWC teams will play 7 MWC games and 1 vs. either OSU or WSU. One of our MWC games will be swapped out.

If army is cancelled we can fill it with anyone willing and we could also add a 13th game if we wanted due to @Hawaii

The pac2 MWC deal is a 7 + 1 deal where MWC teams will play 7 MWC games and 1 vs. either OSU or WSU. One of our MWC games will be swapped out.

If army is cancelled we can fill it with anyone willing and we could also add a 13th game if we wanted due to @Hawaii
Army is moving to the AAC, and there’s no way they keep UNLV on the schedule.

“At the immediate moment, Army’s 2024 schedule is at Ball State, at UConn, Syracuse, Dartmouth, at Rice, at UNLV, Air Force, at UMass, Wake Forest, and Navy, meaning it has two dates open and will need to cancel five of its currently contracted dates”

“At the immediate moment, Army’s 2024 schedule is at Ball State, at UConn, Syracuse, Dartmouth, at Rice, at UNLV, Air Force, at UMass, Wake Forest, and Navy, meaning it has two dates open and will need to cancel five of its currently contracted dates”
See the Army game will drop. We’ll need to get a new game to replace that one, maybe add a 13th, and then wait and see which MWC games is swapped for either OSU or WSU.

See the Army game will drop. We’ll need to get a new game to replace that one, maybe add a 13th, and then wait and see which MWC games is swapped for either OSU or WSU.
I don’t know if there will be a swap, the games don’t count in the Mw seeding or championship race.

We could end up playing both. Boise already had Oregon State on the schedule and could be playing both as well. It’s up to the tv networks, imo.

I don’t know if there will be a swap, the games don’t count in the Mw seeding or championship race.

We could end up playing both. Boise already had Oregon State on the schedule and could be playing both as well. It’s up to the tv networks, imo.
That’s literally the agreement. It’s a 7+1 agreement. Every MWC team will play 7 MWC teams and 1 vs. either OSU or WSU. If we play both it’s because we’ve negotiated directly with that other school. If Boise already had OSU on the schedule for OOC they know which school they’ll be playing for the 7+1 schedule.

Since we have Utah Tech already, we cannot add a second lower division team and still have it count towards our win total.

I'm seriously curious if AF might eventually follow. It would open up two OOC games for them.

You’re catching on

This is a big reason I think G5 coaches will be very particular about taking just any P4 job.

Unless the money is just too hard to pass up.

With the expanded playoff and G5 schools having a seat at the table if they meet criteria.

It might be easier to get a Fresno, UNLV, Toledo etc into the playoff than more middling P4 schools like Vandy, Northwestern, Indiana, Wake Forest or new additions like Houston or SMU..

That's actually a tough schedule, especially the first 5 games. Road games @ Houston and @ Kansas will be really rough. Utah Tech should be an easy win, but Army is no slouch either. Very disciplined and tough. They currently are on a 3 game winning streak with a 23-3 win over Air Force. Then on the road 4 games in a row, starting with Boise. Ouch

Edit: missed the part that they aren't necessarily in order.

Extremely tough schedule.

This might be one of those weird cases where your overall team is better, you play better but the W/L column won't be as kind as the year before.

Where Odom succeeded and Arroyo and Sanchez to a lesser degree was coming out on the right side of one score games. It was obvious to everybody the team was better, but I'm not sure we weren't closer to a 6 or 7 win team than a 9 win team.

I'm seriously curious if AF might eventually follow. It would open up two OOC games for them.
On the surface it makes sense, but it would be a geographical burden, and with the Pac 2 collab and potential to be in a new rebuilt Pac, it could be more financially advantageous to stay put, at least for now.
I can see them moving, but.maybe not for a couple of years when this west coast subpower conference gets formed

Our schedule is legit next year which will make it sweeter when we make back to back bowl games for the first time in school history.
Not if we don’t have a solid QB. Gotta admit I’m getting a bit nervous about our QB situation. Seemed everything looked great with redshirt freshman Maiava playing well this year. Then Marion began interviewing, JM has been in and out of the portal (allegedly) and the staff is making offers to under-sized QBs. Far be it from me to question Odom and his staff after what they did this season but if JM walks they better have a badass lined up to transfer and take the reins. JM may not be Marion’s guy to run his offense (at least so I’ve heard on this board) but he was pretty f’n reliable this year.

Odom and Marion both know they need a QB who would be a threat to take over next year, not a QB to sit the bench? What if Maiava is here but he gets hurt then what?! You have to have two QB’s ready to go, just look East at Florida State!

Not if we don’t have a solid QB. Gotta admit I’m getting a bit nervous about our QB situation. Seemed everything looked great with redshirt freshman Maiava playing well this year. Then Marion began interviewing, JM has been in and out of the portal (allegedly) and the staff is making offers to under-sized QBs. Far be it from me to question Odom and his staff after what they did this season but if JM walks they better have a badass lined up to transfer and take the reins. JM may not be Marion’s guy to run his offense (at least so I’ve heard on this board) but he was pretty f’n reliable this year.
If JM returns I feel good but yeah if he leaves all bets are off. Not so worried about Marion as Odom I am sure has that covered.

Odom and Marion both know they need a QB who would be a threat to take over next year, not a QB to sit the bench? What if Maiava is here but he gets hurt then what?! You have to have two QB’s ready to go, just look East at Florida State!
We spoke about this on the phone. Not a fan of Marion being around the program right now. The way he jumped at every interview coming his way before the season was even done. The way he held his boy Jett out of the MWCCG game to protect his assest who will go with him. Many more HC will be hired before next season and I'm sure he's a goner as a new P4 HC is gonna be poaching him as on OC almost for sure. Fair play, just have a little professionalism. Who's to say any of this isn't playing into the guys he puts on the field vs. Kansas. If he's even around by then.

We spoke about this on the phone. Not a fan of Marion being around the program right now. The way he jumped at every interview coming his way before the season was even done. The way he held his boy Jett out of the MWCCG game to protect his assest who will go with him. Many more HC will be hired before next season and I'm sure he's a goner as a new P4 HC is gonna be poaching him as on OC almost for sure. Fair play, just have a little professionalism. Who's to say any of this isn't playing into the guys he puts on the field vs. Kansas. If he's even around by then.

He didn't hold Jett out of the game. He played.

They've mixed who got bulk of carries from game to game.

Your theory is that Marion who is looking to get a promotion as a HC or OC purposely didn't play or utilize a player? Wouldn't he want to, you know have his offense perform its best in the most important game of the year?

Jett Avg less than 10 carries a game.

He got 1 carry bro. Just give it up. You've got a boner for Marion being unprofessional. We all get it by now.

He got 1 carry bro. Just give it up. You've got a boner for Marion being unprofessional. We all get it by now.

He only had 4 carries in another game. Bro. He only had 5 in another game. He had just 6 in another.

You really think a guy looking to get a HC job or a P4 coordinator job would purposely sabotage himself in the biggest game of the year?

A guy with as little experience as he does needs as much good stuff on film as possible.

Marion did what every coordinator does, Everywhere.

You were provided three instances of it with other coordinators at other schools doing the same thing.

I'm sure if you had a job offer that would triple your salary but you had to take it in a week you would obviously pass on it because of loyalty and feeling honor bound to put in a two weeks notice.

If you think loyalty exists in college football anymore you aren't paying attention.

Players leave schools that developed and invested in them for 2 or 3 or even 4 years. Where's the loyalty?

It's one thing to hate the way things are, I don't like it anymore than you do.

It's another thing to pretend like it isn't common practice and try and paint a picture of a coordinator interviewing for jobs as some kind of aberration.

It simply isn't.

Peace..

He only had 4 carries in another game. Bro. He only had 5 in another game. He had just 6 in another.

You really think a guy looking to get a HC job or a P4 coordinator job would purposely sabotage himself in the biggest game of the year?

A guy with as little experience as he does needs as much good stuff on film as possible.

Marion did what every coordinator does, Everywhere.

You were provided three instances of it with other coordinators at other schools doing the same thing.

I'm sure if you had a job offer that would triple your salary but you had to take it in a week you would obviously pass on it because of loyalty and feeling honor bound to put in a two weeks notice.

If you think loyalty exists in college football anymore you aren't paying attention.

Players leave schools that developed and invested in them for 2 or 3 or even 4 years. Where's the loyalty?

It's one thing to hate the way things are, I don't like it anymore than you do.

It's another thing to pretend like it isn't common practice and try and paint a picture of a coordinator interviewing for jobs as some kind of aberration.

It simply isn't.

Peace..

I didn’t like the interviews at that point in the season, we agreed on this. I get that it’s a business but UNLV needed no distractions those two weeks being a team new to success. Earlier in the year I stated that I would like Marion to be strongly considered for the HC job if Odom left early but now I’d like to see Odom here until his retirement. Marion doesn’t seem to be content with his circumstances as our current OC? I know he should not be content in his wanting more but your current job should be where you are at during an important season!

I know you think you're the king of the football board but you're give off total psycho vibes. Yes. I do think Marion is unprofessional. Yes I do think he held Jett back in the MWCCG. Yes I do think it's related. For the exact reasons you yourself suggest.

Agree to disagree and move on instead of being a lunatic.

I didn’t like the interviews at that point in the season, we agreed on this. I get that it’s a business but UNLV needed no distractions those two weeks being a team new to success. Earlier in the year I stated that I would like Marion to be strongly considered for the HC job if Odom left early but now I’d like to see Odom here until his retirement. Marion doesn’t seem to be content with his circumstances as our current OC? I know he should not be content in his wanting more but your current job should be where you are at during an important season!

I wish the rules were that guys couldn't be interviewed until after the regular season/conference championships were over.

But since there isn't that rule these dudes are unfortunately going to take interviews when offered.

When there's money involved, especially where you could go from low 6 figures to high 6 figures or in some cases 7 figures, that can be life changing money.

Sucks but is what it is.

Bowl season stretches too long and would conflict with portal opening. So there couldn't be a moratorium on interviews that late. So I think at least until conference championships would be nice.

Won't happen but it would be nice.

At the least it would eliminate these discussions.

I know you think you're the king of the football board but you're give off total psycho vibes. Yes. I do think Marion is unprofessional. Yes I do think he held Jett back in the MWCCG. Yes I do think it's related. For the exact reasons you yourself suggest.

Agree to disagree and move on instead of being a lunatic.

Don't think that at all (king of the board). Enjoy the boards and reasonable discussion. Some of my favorite posters are people I disagree with on a lot of topics. Typically because they provide nuanced responses or back things up with stats or examples.

I find Oliver Stone type conspiracy theories with absolutely nothing factual to back them...Amusing.

The fact that somebody disagrees with your opinion and it sets you off in such a way seems. Unbalanced.

Peace..

I didn’t like the interviews at that point in the season, we agreed on this. I get that it’s a business but UNLV needed no distractions those two weeks being a team new to success. Earlier in the year I stated that I would like Marion to be strongly considered for the HC job if Odom left early but now I’d like to see Odom here until his retirement. Marion doesn’t seem to be content with his circumstances as our current OC? I know he should not be content in his wanting more but your current job should be where you are at during an important season
Marion is a puddle jumper. And that's in his resume. Not just my opinion. Bottom line if I was Odom I'd get him to commit before allowing him anywhere near the program before the bowl game. After the bowl game, he can do what he needs to do and nobody would be upset. Plenty of opportunities ahead for him.

Don't think that at all (king of the board). Enjoy the boards and reasonable discussion. Some of my favorite posters are people I disagree with on a lot of topics. Typically because they provide nuanced responses or back things up with stats or examples.

I find Oliver Stone type conspiracy theories with absolutely nothing factual to back them...Amusing.

The fact that somebody disagrees with your opinion and it sets you off in such a way seems. Unbalanced.

Peace..
Likewise. You're a psycho.

I, for one, kind of like we have coaches who are successful enough to be considered for better jobs as the season closes. We are usually discussing when our coaches need to be fired.
Not if it’s a distraction?
After the season is fine, this was a mess this year and a learning opportunity!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT