ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Day 7

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Rebels were back in shells today and a lot of practice was concentrated on special teams drills. Last season the Rebels struggled not only in kick and punt coverage but also in the return game. Part of that can be attributed to the injury situation at wide receiver and later in the year at running back when both Thomas and Williams were limited. I think as fans we sometimes forget that injuries impact not only a particular position groups depth, but also the depth on the special teams units.

Evan Pantels is listed at kicker and punter and has handled both duties thus far. I expect the staff to look at adding another leg for two in the fall.

DE Roger Mann continues to get more looks with the 1st team defense. Another guy who seems to be getting a long look is redshirt freshman Rodney Jones.

Kendall Keys has arguably had the best Spring of any receiver on the roster. If not for Keys, the receiver I think people might be talking about is Brandon Presley. Where Keys creates matchup problems with his size and strength, Presley is more of a smooth athlete that runs solid routes and has enough speed to challenge defensive backs downfield. Presley has the type of skill set where he can play on the outside or in the slot.

Thanks, Bull. I know you really had to swallow hard before typing those "k" and "p" words.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
If nothing else Zepeda looks the part at end. We have enough athletes to create different types of looks at defense. Jones is going to fill out, I think he'll be a force come his junior and senior year. Hughes and Fao look exceptionally strong. I would not be surprised if one or both play on sundays. That's saying something since I believe pretty much all of our O line and some of the 2nd strings can play at the next level.

I'm excited to see what Jones will become when fall camp rolls around. Still only a RS FR he went from 215ish to now close to 250. He could be a breakout type player for us on the D Line.

Our offense has some scary potential. Considering we finished last year 16th in rushing behind a mostly new O Line and a less than stellar passing game, this group might be able to really open it up this year and put teams on their heals.

I'm excited to see what Jones will become when fall camp rolls around. Still only a RS FR he went from 215ish to now close to 250. He could be a breakout type player for us on the D Line.

Our offense has some scary potential. Considering we finished last year 16th in rushing behind a mostly new O Line and a less than stellar passing game, this group might be able to really open it up this year and put teams on their heals.

I think Sanchez is really trying to prove to the Big 12 that we belong. Scary Offense, defense, who cares about defense!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT