ADVERTISEMENT

So........

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
If you showed up to the Spring Showcase today you were treated to a day of beautiful weather & some good football. Now of course there are a number of things that need to be tidied up before the season starts and a number of players we will be counting on in the fall that aren't on campus yet but there is much to be hopeful about.

If you showed up not knowing who is who you probably left thinking that #7 (Oblad, a True Freshman that should still be attending high school) either is or should be the starting QB. The strides that Oblad has made during spring ball has been nothing short of remarkable. Lex & Williams were held out today (CTS knows what they can do) but X Man Xavier Campbell is really pushing for more carries. He isn't the same runner he was in the past. His vision and footwork are much improved and he broke off some really nice runs causing defenders to miss numerous times.

The receiving corps is deep and talented but the only QB able to connect with them with any consistency was Oblad which could be an area of concern. With our RB's and Receivers the coaches have to be hoping that Rogers doesn't have to rely on his legs too much this year.

The DB's & LB's appear to be much improved but the jury is still out on the DL but we have 5 guys coming in this summer to hopefully provide immediate help.

At least until September we are undefeated and things are looking up!

I was there. I was surprised and impressed with Oblad’s poise and maturity. And , you can see his arm is stronger. Or at least more accurate with a very tight spiral. Might have moved to #2 today.

If you showed up to the Spring Showcase today you were treated to a day of beautiful weather & some good football. Now of course there are a number of things that need to be tidied up before the season starts and a number of players we will be counting on in the fall that aren't on campus yet but there is much to be hopeful about.

If you showed up not knowing who is who you probably left thinking that #7 (Oblad, a True Freshman that should still be attending high school) either is or should be the starting QB. The strides that Oblad has made during spring ball has been nothing short of remarkable. Lex & Williams were held out today (CTS knows what they can do) but X Man Xavier Campbell is really pushing for more carries. He isn't the same runner he was in the past. His vision and footwork are much improved and he broke off some really nice runs causing defenders to miss numerous times.

The receiving corps is deep and talented but the only QB able to connect with them with any consistency was Oblad which could be an area of concern. With our RB's and Receivers the coaches have to be hoping that Rogers doesn't have to rely on his legs too much this year.

The DB's & LB's appear to be much improved but the jury is still out on the DL but we have 5 guys coming in this summer to hopefully provide immediate help.

At least until September we are undefeated and things are looking up!

Thanks Bro.

Just saw in Twitter that we may be losing Tim Hough to Oregon as a grad transfer, any word or confirmation on this?
He hasn’t been participating in Spring Practice at all so his moving on is not a shock but going to Oregon might be!

I suspect they will RS Oblad.

I bet there were times during Rogers' Freshman year he was the best QB we had.

But got stack your classes and prepare for the future. Armani likely has the QB locked down for the rest of his time here, but I can see Oblad pushing him next season or the year after.

Reactions: s89103 and reagan21

But got stack your classes and prepare for the future. Armani likely has the QB locked down for the rest of his time here, but I can see Oblad pushing him next season or the year after.
I would agree with this analysis.

Reactions: Rebelious1

Not even close. Rogers was nowhere near ready to go as a true freshman. Big progression going into his rs freshman season.

I agree that Rogers was raw. But we had some QB troubles. Stanton started off good, then looked bad and got hurt. Sneed had a nice start then looked bad. Palendech was Palendech.

Rogers could have easily gotten run. And in the new rules he would have.

Same with Oblad. Especially since the 2 guys ahead of him seem to be good options. If Oblad is the QB of the future he should sit. With the new rules he can get some game action this year.

During Rogers Freshman year our OL was decimated by the time Sneed got some run. It might have been interesting under the new rules to let him play during the last 4 games but it also could have been a recipe for injury and damaged confidence.

If this year is going well you might see Oblad take some snaps during blowouts and if the season is in the dumpster look for him to take over the last 4 games without losing his redshirt.

I rewatched the UNL/Ohio State game I give Rodgers major props for hanging in the game and having some good scrambles and some solid throws he was constantly hounded. I think he makes a big leap this year. Probably not the pure passer but hopefully a little more consistent and let his legs do the rest. Plus, hopefully will have more play makers that stay healthy throughout the year.

Rogers has a cannon and can thread the needle.

For him to make the next step is to learn how to extend plays for the pass more. Get better pocket awareness, and see the field/make reads a little better. All stuff that tends to get better with experience, and is typically a problem with mobile QBs.

Reactions: mvvsmith
Rogers has a cannon and can thread the needle.

For him to make the next step is to learn how to extend plays for the pass more. Get better pocket awareness, and see the field/make reads a little better. All stuff that tends to get better with experience, and is typically a problem with mobile QBs.
Agreed, people forget he was just a freshman and missed a couple of games from concussion protocol. Steady progress that's what I'm looking for. When he brought us back to beat NM I thought it was a turning point. Looking forward to seeing the maturation process.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT