ADVERTISEMENT

SDSU beating Stanford

UNLVWINS

Lottery Pick
May 14, 2005
SDSU is beating Stanford right now. They won at ASU last week. They are playing real good ball. They should put them in the PAC 15 when they expand.

SDSU is beating Stanford right now. They won at ASU last week. They are playing real good ball. They should put them in the PAC 15 when they expand.
I can't see PAC ever taking SDSU. If it was their intention at all, it would have happened by now. And if there was an inkling of a chance, SDSU wouldn't have looked to the BE years ago.

I can't see PAC ever taking SDSU. If it was their intention at all, it would have happened by now. And if there was an inkling of a chance, SDSU wouldn't have looked to the BE years ago.
Agreed. I can only imagine the LA schools big brothering SDSU like BYU did to the Utah schools and now like Utah does to the Utah schools.

Agreed. I can only imagine the LA schools big brothering SDSU like BYU did to the Utah schools and now like Utah does to the Utah schools.
Eh, for what it's worth, I think they look upon UNLV in the same way. We have more to offer overall with the city itself, but I think there are too many that look not only down upon, but way down upon UNLV as an institution, even though UNLV's made great progress. I think the stigma is still going to be there with the elitism of some of the PAC institutions.

It's the big reason why I think if anything, UNLV will end up with a good portion of the B12 teams and a few other schools would join for that new conference....

If they keep winning like this, and the Pac12 doesn't take them, then you could see the Big12 take them to get a foot into California. SDSU winning is picking them up a lot of fans in the SoCal area. I believe they had 50K plus in attendance at the game yesterday.

If they keep winning like this, and the Pac12 doesn't take them, then you could see the Big12 take them to get a foot into California. SDSU winning is picking them up a lot of fans in the SoCal area. I believe they had 50K plus in attendance at the game yesterday.
Makes sense. We have a fickle fan base. But ain't no place on earth more fickle than socal.

Reactions: 530Rebel
Makes sense. We have a fickle fan base. But ain't no place on earth more fickle than socal.
That said, I think you are right. I think BSU, SDSU and UNLV would be in the heavy mix. Let's just be happy, based on this moment in time, that the primary driver of these things isn't on field/court success. Otherwise Rutgers doesn't get a sniff anywhere.

BSU could quickly drop out of that mix. BSU is in a very small market, they also have a relatively small stadium, and really very little wiggle room for attendance growth. BSU is probably at the bottom of the conference academically, and the only thing they have to sell is a football program with a good following that has slowly been coming back to earth. BSU is no longer the giant killer darling of the country, and in fact has been replaced by SDSU as the best team in the conference.

As for UNLV, they are in a must win situation when it comes to games like Fresno State, SJSU, unr, utah state, and Hawaii. It would also help if UNLV could win at least one of the games verse Air Force, New Mexico, SDSU, and bywho. I think the byu game is very winnable after watching their last couple of games this season.

In order to get into the conference realignment mix, It really is important that they find a way to get to a bowl game this year.

BSU could quickly drop out of that mix. BSU is in a very small market, they also have a relatively small stadium, and really very little wiggle room for attendance growth. BSU is probably at the bottom of the conference academically, and the only thing they have to sell is a football program with a good following that has slowly been coming back to earth. BSU is no longer the giant killer darling of the country, and in fact has been replaced by SDSU as the best team in the conference.

As for UNLV, they are in a must win situation when it comes to games like Fresno State, SJSU, unr, utah state, and Hawaii. It would also help if UNLV could win at least one of the games verse Air Force, New Mexico, SDSU, and bywho. I think the byu game is very winnable after watching their last couple of games this season.

In order to get into the conference realignment mix, It really is important that they find a way to get to a bowl game this year.
But I think the best chance at P5 inclusion isn't going to include P12, unfortunately. If it happens, it'll be a dismantled B12 reformed with a handful of others and I think we have a shot at being one.

It all depends if there will actually be a full separation from power conferences from non power conferences. Witj student stipends and the like.

If a whole new league develops, then their may be posturing for the remaining good markets.

I think the PAC looks at SDSU and UNLV very much the same. PAC typically gets the largest portion of the best recruits from those areas. Also has a strong foothold already in the TV markets.

However, other conferences, most notably the Big 12, may be looking to expand and capture those markets. Another power conference will threaten the PAC's influence on those markets. It may make PAC consider us.

This is where winning helps. TCU forced the Big 12 for an invite being the best team in Texas for several years running. They really didn't want to add them, they had to. Houston nearly played their way into the Big 12 last year too.

SDSU has a huge leg up on us right now with on field success. They also will be without a stadium in a couple of years. We have the opposite scenario. It would be nice if we can at least trend towards more success of a team.

Last edited:
Reactions: mvvsmith
Eh, for what it's worth, I think they look upon UNLV in the same way. We have more to offer overall with the city itself, but I think there are too many that look not only down upon, but way down upon UNLV as an institution, even though UNLV's made great progress. I think the stigma is still going to be there with the elitism of some of the PAC institutions.

It's the big reason why I think if anything, UNLV will end up with a good portion of the B12 teams and a few other schools would join for that new conference....

I hadn't thought of UNLV as getting that same rap from P12 schools. Academic reputation and limited high-level research programs would have to be the big downside, right? And our market size doesn't really do much, especially considering if they wanted to, they could very easily own the market even without UNLV (you might argue that they already do).

With that all said, if/when the P12 does expand, I just don't see them excluding both SDSU and UNLV... and if I'm president or AD, Vegas (with all of the brand new facilities) makes more sense.

Kind of a bummer... if UNLV was moving at its current pace in like 1997, it'd be hard to imagine the P12 not inviting Rebs.

I hadn't thought of UNLV as getting that same rap from P12 schools. Academic reputation and limited high-level research programs would have to be the big downside, right? And our market size doesn't really do much, especially considering if they wanted to, they could very easily own the market even without UNLV (you might argue that they already do).

With that all said, if/when the P12 does expand, I just don't see them excluding both SDSU and UNLV... and if I'm president or AD, Vegas (with all of the brand new facilities) makes more sense.

Kind of a bummer... if UNLV was moving at its current pace in like 1997, it'd be hard to imagine the P12 not inviting Rebs.
I'll take any P-5 because it's automatic survival long term. I'd obviously prefer P-12. Trust me when I say that the presidents/chancellors/influential alum, etc... look down on UNLV academically and just as an institution. Stanford, Cal, UCLA breaking bread with UNLV? It's a slap in the face. There's obviously some merit there ... they're long established, top tier, old money.

Back 1977 all you heard was griping about bringing ASU and AU into the PAC 8. 2011 Utah and CU something. Now look at a map the PAC sourrounds NV. Only a teeny bit of ID keeps NV from being completely engulfed. Common frigging sense people, you don't let the BIG 12 or any offshoot from it take over NV. It's in the middle of the PAC12 now.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
SDST has good team, as mention above, they will have no stadium, PAC doesn't need another CALI school, UNLV being in Vegas will give UNLV a shot at the PAC, i could see Texas and both Oklahoma schools coming west, so with the stadium and football complex coming, let Jessup build UNLV academic side and let the new AD run the athletic department, one smooth operations, yes i just said that about UNLV, the question is can Jessup allow this and will the boosters realize the opportunities UNLV could have? You got to remember USC's of the world need weak teams in conference for the W's.

SDST has good team, as mention above, they will have no stadium, PAC doesn't need another CALI school, UNLV being in Vegas will give UNLV a shot at the PAC, i could see Texas and both Oklahoma schools coming west, so with the stadium and football complex coming, let Jessup build UNLV academic side and let the new AD run the athletic department, one smooth operations, yes i just said that about UNLV, the question is can Jessup allow this and will the boosters realize the opportunities UNLV could have? You got to remember USC's of the world need weak teams in conference for the W's.
"Weak teams"... I agree with that. Somebody has to finish in first, someone in last, everywhere in between. UNLV can fill any of those spots as can anybody. Which is why I say winning/losing isn't paramount. I do think it can help... it can push you over the top. But I don't think poor play kills things. As long as the other things line up.

I still think that we need some sort of success.

It's not like Vegas/UNLV is a slam dunk. Not many true locals. UNLV doesn't have a huge ownership in the market and it is a fringe top market to boot. Most people are from other places and have allegiance to those other places.

You have to look like you belong. Both with play and fan support. All of the "bottom" schools in P5 conferences still blow us out of the water if you compare to UNLV. Sure there has to be someone on the bottom, but even if you can't win a nonconference game, you better fair well against schools from lesser conferences.

The good news is that UNLV has shown a commitment to football. New facilities and stadium, etc. Now we have to do something with it. If we still suck, and show little support with all of that, then we will look even worse. The fact that we can't have success or support with more amenities will tell the world that it will never work here. Given our horrible track record.

If we have better play and trend upwards. It could still be looked at as a flash in the pan, and it would be if we didn't have new facilities coming. But since they are, it could also be looked at as "they are finally committing to football and things could be different now". Also if we won more you know that UNLV will have a larger market share of TVV viewership.

We also have to overcome are awesome history of administrative support. I don't need to get into that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT