ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP GAME IMPRESSIONS

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Just got back from El Paso. Sun Bowl was actually pretty cool stadium. Built right into the Mountain. Offered some nice views.

As for the game..

Thought the offense was steady especially the run game. Nearly had two backs go over 100 yards. Thought Maiava handled his first ever start pretty well. Made some big throws to convert on third down. Biggest criticism would be he needs to know when a play is dead. Put the ball in danger twice (one interception) on plays that were dead and he should have either taken sack or thrown it away.

Defense: Said this in another thread and I think it holds true. Schematically the defense is pretty sound. Play calling (and of course individual effort/talent) have lead to some big plays (sacks/TFL/turnovers). These aren't all of Odom's guys. Or guys that fit what he wants to do. Give it another year or two and I really think Rebs could start having defenses that look like SDSU has had in years past. Maybe not quite that dominant but pretty damn good.

Special Teams: No big returns this week but coverage was again sound and they had the blocked punt leading to a score so they once again impacted the game positively.

And yes the kicker made a FG and all his extra points for the communists on here that care about kickers.

Coaching. Thought they game planned well on offensive side of the ball. Leaned on run game early to make things easy on Maiava in his first start. I really like how many different looks we give teams on offense and defense. Defense got after the QB well. I think penalties (especially the false starts need to get cleaned up).

Just got back from El Paso. Sun Bowl was actually pretty cool stadium. Built right into the Mountain. Offered some nice views.

As for the game..

Thought the offense was steady especially the run game. Nearly had two backs go over 100 yards. Thought Maiava handled his first ever start pretty well. Made some big throws to convert on third down. Biggest criticism would be he needs to know when a play is dead. Put the ball in danger twice (one interception) on plays that were dead and he should have either taken sack or thrown it away.

Defense: Said this in another thread and I think it holds true. Schematically the defense is pretty sound. Play calling (and of course individual effort/talent) have lead to some big plays (sacks/TFL/turnovers). These aren't all of Odom's guys. Or guys that fit what he wants to do. Give it another year or two and I really think Rebs could start having defenses that look like SDSU has had in years past. Maybe not quite that dominant but pretty damn good.

Special Teams: No big returns this week but coverage was again sound and they had the blocked punt leading to a score so they once again impacted the game positively.

And yes the kicker made a FG and all his extra points for the communists on here that care about kickers.

Coaching. Thought they game planned well on offensive side of the ball. Leaned on run game early to make things easy on Maiava in his first start. I really like how many different looks we give teams on offense and defense. Defense got after the QB well. I think penalties (especially the false starts need to get cleaned up).
My thoughts exactly. Held them to 320 yards of total offense and 80 of that came on the last two drives when the game was all but over.

Still not a good defense but opportunistic. Blitz packages caused trouble for UTEP. Still need to get off the field on 3rd and long. Big gains and a roughing the kicker call gave UTEP chances they didn’t deserve. should have been a bigger win; but the game opened at -4 and closed at -1. A 17 point win on the road was a good outcome. I’ll take it and wish it was Saturday. This is going to be a long week.

As for the game..

I have driven past the Sun Bowl a few times, mostly driving between Houston and Vegas. Looks like a cool place to watch the game.

Fun fact. Vegas is closer to El Paso than Houston. Texas is stupid big.

As for the game..

Thank you for your summary review. It looks promising, don't you think?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Thank you for your summary review. It looks promising, don't you think?

I think so.

There was a betting show on the radio the other day. Guy on there giving out picks was saying he liked UNLV in this spot vs previous years. Saud Rebels have shown flashes in past and then falter. Said he had confidence in them to lay points vs UTEP because 'They finally have an adult in charge'.

Look there are some concerns on both sides of the ball right now. But schematically I think this team is head and shoulders above years past.

They at least look like they are trying to do something. Offensively they give you a ton of looks which I like.

Defensively they are dialing up blitzes at key moments and getting rewarded with sacks and turnovers.

Most short comings I've seen are talent/fit based vs lack of preparation or coaching decisions.

Special teams have been excellent. New coordinator is paying big dividends.

My thoughts exactly. Held them to 320 yards of total offense and 80 of that came on the last two drives when the game was all but over.

Still not a good defense but opportunistic. Blitz packages caused trouble for UTEP. Still need to get off the field on 3rd and long. Big gains and a roughing the kicker call gave UTEP chances they didn’t deserve. should have been a bigger win; but the game opened at -4 and closed at -1. A 17 point win on the road was a good outcome. I’ll take it and wish it was Saturday. This is going to be a long week.

There are certain things in sports that test my desire to remain level headed during games.

Hockey- Goalies giving up goals on the short side.

Baseball- Striking out with that bat on your shoulder in a big moment.

Football- Giving up 3rd and +15 yards.

Absolutely make my head spin..

Rebs have done a good job of putting people in third and long. Been a little sketchy defending it.

I think so.

There was a betting show on the radio the other day. Guy on there giving out picks was saying he liked UNLV in this spot vs previous years. Saud Rebels have shown flashes in past and then falter. Said he had confidence in them to lay points vs UTEP because 'They finally have an adult in charge'.

Look there are some concerns on both sides of the ball right now. But schematically I think this team is head and shoulders above years past.

They at least look like they are trying to do something. Offensively they give you a ton of looks which I like.

Defensively they are dialing up blitzes at key moments and getting rewarded with sacks and turnovers.

Most short comings I've seen are talent/fit based vs lack of preparation or coaching decisions.

Special teams have been excellent. New coordinator is paying big dividends.
Special teams play has been very solid, way above what we’ve come to expect. Last few coaches haven’t emphasized it at all. You can just tell when it’s emphasized. In the past, it was just vanilla, ball exchange. That’s coaching emphasis.

Tackling in open space has been better, faltered a bit last game. But we are getting some one man tackles for losses or short gains. And the way they’ve squared up and hit properly - that’s coaching/teaching …

I do like the more open offense, different looks, balanced run/pass … I swear I hate 10 passes per game into the flat that go for 1-3 yards.

Special teams play has been very solid, way above what we’ve come to expect. Last few coaches haven’t emphasized it at all. You can just tell when it’s emphasized. In the past, it was just vanilla, ball exchange. That’s coaching emphasis.

Tackling in open space has been better, faltered a bit last game. But we are getting some one man tackles for losses or short gains. And the way they’ve squared up and hit properly - that’s coaching/teaching …

I do like the more open offense, different looks, balanced run/pass … I swear I hate 10 passes per game into the flat that go for 1-3 yards.
With these RB and WR corps, I dont think you need to make those ding dong passes.
Side question: Is Brum really 5 lbs heavier than Maiava?

Last edited:
Talking about having an adult in charge, while eventually losing our OC will hit us hard recruiting wise, bringing in Hunkie will help a lot with the locals. I liked that Odom brought he and Fertita in. Very wise!
If Maiava and Jet Thomas continues at this trajectory, I can see Marion moving on. I dont know if anybody going anywhere if UNLV "just" qualified and even 8-4. Teams like Hawaii, Reno, and CSU are sh!ts...If UNLV can beat AFA or Fresno, yes maybe Marion will move on.

Talking about having an adult in charge, while eventually losing our OC will hit us hard recruiting wise, bringing in Hunkie will help a lot with the locals. I liked that Odom brought he and Fertita in. Very wise!
Could he be coach here someday, man I hope so!

Still not a good defense but opportunistic. Blitz packages caused trouble for UTEP. Still need to get off the field on 3rd and long. Big gains and a roughing the kicker call gave UTEP chances they didn’t deserve. should have been a bigger win; but the game opened at -4 and closed at -1. A 17 point win on the road was a good outcome. I’ll take it and wish it was Saturday. This is going to be a long week
I agree with your takeaways but would add 1 more which takeaway which can be attributed to coaching. It's more about player assessment when recruiting than actual game coaching. I am talking about speed. Speed, speed & more speed. Not quite elite Power 5 speed everywhere but definitely Mountain West elite speed.

Speed kills! It used to kill us but now we are starting to kill with speed. People aren't beating us to the outside and turning the corner on us. DB's & LB's all have good wheels. RB's are quick and fast.

I still think we could use at least one speed burner in the WR group but all our guys are running good routes which is just as inportant.

I agree with your takeaways but would add 1 more which takeaway which can be attributed to coaching. It's more about player assessment when recruiting than actual game coaching. I am talking about speed. Speed, speed & more speed. Not quite elite Power 5 speed everywhere but definitely Mountain West elite speed.

Speed kills! It used to kill us but now we are starting to kill with speed. People aren't beating us to the outside and turning the corner on us. DB's & LB's all have good wheels. RB's are quick and fast.

I still think we could use at least one speed burner in the WR group but all our guys are running good routes which is just as inportant.
De Jesus isn't fast enough? Ricky White is a smaller speed guy. Not crazy top end speed, but quick.

Honesty I think a bigger, possession type WR would be better to give us more options, perhaps help with blocking.

We just haven't thrown it downfield much for whatever reason. Part of that I think is pass protection.

De Jesus isn't fast enough? Ricky White is a smaller speed guy. Not crazy top end speed, but quick.

Honesty I think a bigger, possession type WR would be better to give us more options, perhaps help with blocking.

We just haven't thrown it downfield much for whatever reason. Part of that I think is pass protection.
Every team could use a Ryan Wolf

I would would also like to have a big TE to be our Kelce type receiver. I was basically just saying that our speed is much better than previous years and that it would be nice to add a little at WR.

Love DeJesus. I dont think we have ever had anybody quicker on our team. Nobody is gonna beat him in a 20-40 yard dash but he can be run down. Ricky White is a good route runner and our best WR but he was run down by a LB in the last game.

I think Jet is our only guy that has that you cant catch me speed and he's a RB.

All of our TE's are big, haven't gotten them the ball much. But we haven't passed it that much in general. We have had a lot of different people catch balls this year too. Which is a good thing.
Hopefully the O line play continues to improve. No more p5 defensive fronts, and hopefully we stay healthy. More time to throw open up this offense quite a bit.
I agree the team speed has been refreshing. Especially on Defense. Our 3-3-5 is reminding me of the old MW version of TCU under Patterson. Not nearly to that level yet, but i can see it get there.

Oh you can like it. I thought it was hilarious. He was actually pretty respectful once she told him she was married. He apologized to her and then to me. He and I became friends after that.
I had typed a response then thought better since I don't know you. Now...

Sliders can be nasty.

As for the game..

Yeah but more importantly how much did you love El Paso? 🤣🤣 El Paso = Albuquerque of Texas.

DeVante!

Still a top 3 Rebel for me.

Prototype NFL size. Knee injury derailed him.

Philip was great in Redzone. Back shoulder throws. Not the most dedicated guy going over the middle.
I liked him better than Philip Payne
Well I wasn't the victim of human trafficking so I consider that a win.
Did you fall in love with a Mexican girl?

DeVante!

Still a top 3 Rebel for me.

Prototype NFL size. Knee injury derailed him.

Philip was great in Redzone. Back shoulder throws. Not the most dedicated guy going over the middle.
I really thought Devante Davis was going to be an NFL guy. I was thinking he was better than the "other Devante" from Fresno. Then we played them, and I was wrong. But at least that guy ended up being arguably the best WR in the NFL. So there is that, lol.

Nope...What's funny is Juarez is literally across the street from El Paso.
A healthy debate could be had as to which is the bigger dump Juarez or Tijuana. I was at the El Paso Border Patrol station once upon a time some interesting stories about the crime in Juarez.

I used to regularly go to BAJA. About 15 years ago was staying at a house near Rosarito. During the night, directly across the street, an entire family was murdered. I’ve never been back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT