ADVERTISEMENT

HAWAII GAME REACTION

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
2nd straight week Rebels leaned heavily on run game. 2nd straight week an opponent had no answer for it.

Staff continues to put Maiava in favorable situations on 3rd down by committing to the run.

Offense showed a number of new wrinkles this week, namely utilizing presnap motion, which they hadn't done all season. (We were last in the country in presnap motion heading into the game)

Committee approach at RB is giving opponents a headache I think because while they all have slightly different skill sets, all are capable of filling in regardless of what the play call. Makes it hard on opposing DCs to find any trends.

Defensively I thought Rebels were excellent. It's hard in today's football to keep teams under 24 points. 6 more sacks in the game couple that with 10 TFL. Hawaii was playing behind the chains all night.

Yes Rebels gave up a couple long pass plays, but it took until the third quarter and Hawaii digging deep into the playbook with a double reverse back to QB to score their first touchdown.

What's nice to see is how multiple and aggressive the defense has been under Odom. Early they attacked Hawaii with a lot of stunts up front. Later they brought guys from both LB and safety positions to rush the passer. Funny thing is they technically aren't blitzing even when it's a LB or DB rushing the passer because they are still only bringing 4 guys and generating pressure.

They play like this vs Reno and we could see a very similiar score.

Last edited:
A instant reaction from other side of the line. Rebels O line is destroying our outside linebacker and defensive end. Touchdown, Rebels. Many times in this game, our backs were not even touched. Maiala's touch passes early in the game were not successful but his quick hard passes later in the game were great. Defensive coordinators' are having nightmares about versatility of Vegas offense. What would Odom do with two years of recruiting with his present staff? A lot of P5 athletic directors are looking at him and others who are innovative and not afraid to seal the corner and have their rb's run to daylight. Conclusion, MW wire is probably right. Rebels are for real, maybe.

Great game yesterday. Dominated the way they should.

Expect things to get tougher in the coming weeks, which will show who we really are. Reno is bad this year, but still a rivalry game on the road. Then comes the CSU, Wyo, UNM’s of the conference, which will make or break the season. Will we stay strong and get to 6 wins? Will we take care of business against those teams and reach 8 or 9 on the season? I’m hopeful that we can keep improving, stay consistent, and turn a major corner for the program.

A instant reaction from other side of the line. Rebels O line is destroying our outside linebacker and defensive end. Touchdown, Rebels. Many times in this game, our backs were not even touched. Maiala's touch passes early in the game were not successful but his quick hard passes later in the game were great. Defensive coordinators' are having nightmares about versatility of Vegas offense. What would Odom do with two years of recruiting with his present staff? A lot of P5 athletic directors are looking at him and others who are innovative and not afraid to seal the corner and have their rb's run to daylight. Conclusion, MW wire is probably right. Rebels are for real, maybe.

If by for real MW wire means the 4-1 isn't a fluke. I'd agree.

If by for real they mean conference champ contenders...Not so sure yet.

Fresno and Air Force are really good.

Not trying to be negative.

Rebels have a legit shot at being 6-1 to start season. (Who would have thought)

But after CSU (and that's not a gimme game) It gets tougher.

I don’t want to say this team isn’t real … and there is no doubt they are improved … some talent upgrade but some intangibles for sure … and I feel that is coaching experience. They “seem” to be more focused, more business like …. They tackle better on an island …. They “seem” more disciplined (stupid penalties) … they “seem” more balanced, more poised, finish off games …. They “seem” to have more confidence … they are deeper … but all of that falls under the coaching experience umbrella to me. It’s been said we have an adult in charge and that seems to fit.

But this team has too many weaknesses that I don’t think can/will be shored up … too many to beat out Fresno or AFA.

That said, we’ve yet to play a complete game, imo. If we get those in the big games, who knows? I’m not holding out too much hope for that, but who knows?

Either way, getting to 5-1, 2-0 … yeah, that will keep interest as high as it’s been in 20 years at that point of a season.

Michigan is the toughest team and the strongest team that was on our schedule. I actually like the match up with AFA,Fresno, and WYO. No one is more physical than we are and I really like that. I also think we may be the fastest team in the conference. I like that coach odom stays on message " It was a great win but we have work to do". We can win by 40 or lose by 1 and coach is still the same.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

I dont really see a scenario in which the MWC title game isn't Fresno State vs AFA. They don't play each other this regular season at all and, from what I have seen of the conference and specifically those two teams, are undoubtedly the best in conference. We play them both and those are the least winnable games remaining

I anticipate both to be undefeated and ranked when they meet in the conference title game.

I actually think we have A shot vs AFA even though it's on the road. They aren't as one dimensional as usual, but I think having our offensive variety in fall camp may actually have helped prepare somewhat for what AFA does, even though it isn't exactly alike.

I dont really see a scenario in which the MWC title game isn't Fresno State vs AFA. They don't play each other this regular season at all and, from what I have seen of the conference and specifically those two teams, are undoubtedly the best in conference. We play them both and those are the least winnable games remaining

I anticipate both to be undefeated and ranked when they meet in the conference title game.

I actually think we have A shot vs AFA even though it's on the road. They aren't as one dimensional as usual, but I think having our offensive variety in fall camp may actually have helped prepare somewhat for what AFA does, even though it isn't exactly alike.

Agree.

The one wildcard team I'd throw in there is Wyoming.

No they aren't great but they play solid defense for the most part and can be tough at home.

Agree.

The one wildcard team I'd throw in there is Wyoming.

No they aren't great but they play solid defense for the most part and can be tough at home.
Absolutely. They are solid defensively and not a total mess on offense - which is more than at least half of the teams in the conference.

Like us, Wyoming plays Fresno and AFA. Actually their next two games are home vs Fresno and in Colorado Springs vs the Falcons. They play Boise State at the end of October after both teams have a bye.

I suspect BSU will have either made the change to Madsen more permanent by then, or will have further leaned into Jeanty. They also may have Holani back by then... and the freshman Dumar (?) Will likely be more heavily in the rotation.

I think that game - in Boise - may be the one thag basically knocks them out of the conference race (I have them 0-3 in the month of October).

I love Odom's demeanor. Happy for the win, but still critical on this team. It feels like the past few coaches wouldn't do that. Same with the crowd. You can tell that he isn't satisfied with the support thus far, but afraid of saying so publicly.

He knows this team can be better, and I expect it to continue to improve.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT