ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings: 10/02/2023 after Hawaii W

LVRebel2000

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2011
Las Vegas
Even though we just beat Vandy, CBS sports still has us behind them. Vandy at 81, UNLV at 93, just ahead of ASU. They have UNR as last in the country at 133.

Our next several games are definitely winnable:

@UTEP (current rank 124)
vs Hawaii (current rank 120)
@UNR (current rank 133)

vs CSU (current rank 107)
@ Fresno (current rank 40)
@New Mexico (current rank 128)
vs Wyoming (current rank 53)
@ Air Force (current rank 43)
vs San Jose St (current rank 96)

The bolded games should be UNLV wins, which would put us at 6 wins. I would have thought CSU looked promising prior to this week, but then they took Colorado to double OT, so I'm not sure anymore. The other games vs Fresno, Wyoming, AF and SJST don't look great at this point. SJSU lost to Toledo this week, so maybe we could get that one.

Reactions: dcut03
I think that CSU is getting over inflated much like I would expect Reno vs us... They wanted to show Prime up and CO was ranked and the hot team of the week... I expect they come back to their norm..
Yeah, agreed, it's tough to judge based on one game, especially in a big rivalry game like that.

Our next several games are definitely winnable:

@UTEP (current rank 124)
vs Hawaii (current rank 120)
@UNR (current rank 133)

vs CSU (current rank 107)
@ Fresno (current rank 40)
@New Mexico (current rank 128)
vs Wyoming (current rank 53)
@ Air Force (current rank 43)
vs San Jose St (current rank 96)

The bolded games should be UNLV wins, which would put us at 6 wins. I would have thought CSU looked promising prior to this week, but then they took Colorado to double OT, so I'm not sure anymore. The other games vs Fresno, Wyoming, AF and SJST don't look great at this point. SJSU lost to Toledo this week, so maybe we could get that one.
One game at a time. 3 out of 4 that you pointed out are on the road, including one being against our rival. Obviously, as the season progresses, the schedule is looking more favorable, but this team is in no position to look past any one game at a time.

One game at a time. 3 out of 4 that you pointed out are on the road, including one being against our rival. Obviously, as the season progresses, the schedule is looking more favorable, but this team is in no position to look past any one game at a time.
I would hope the team isn't doing what we all are - looking at what is in October and feeling like they'll get the bowl game.

But you're absolutely right - this team is probably improved from recent past, but it absolutely cannot look ahead or go lightly against anybody. Gotta imagine staff is working hard to keep everyone's eyes on the target (next opponent), not the prize (6+ win season)

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Forgot to add this. I really like that cbssports put out a full ranking. I dont know if anybody is really capable or adequately assessing what every FBS team really is like, especially with the wild differences in strength of schedule.

But it's kinda fun to see where that particular national outlet puts us in comparison to other G5 and P5. And to see the long term patterns and trends over the course of the season.

I think that CSU is getting over inflated much like I would expect Reno vs us... They wanted to show Prime up and CO was ranked and the hot team of the week... I expect they come back to their norm..
Their norm is, we don’t beat them regardless of their record! We have not beat the Rams in years, I remember they were 0-7 once and they beat us back then too!

Reactions: reagan21
They also already have had a bye, and played a very good WAZZU team ( and got smoked).

S hard to say where they are. They have Middle Te nnessee St.next then a lower level FCS after that. SO who knows over the next couple of weeks. MTSU has been a decent program, not sure about this year.

They also already have had a bye, and played a very good WAZZU team ( and got smoked).

S hard to say where they are. They have Middle Te nnessee St.next then a lower level FCS after that. SO who knows over the next couple of weeks. MTSU has been a decent program, not sure about this year.
I can’t tell either. I thought they were going to suck … but they could have played out of their minds vs CU being a rivalry game and the Deion hype … I still cannot tell with them.

Also CSU really showed us who they really are with 16 penalties for 186 yards. They do not have a running game. If you take away the slant or crossing route they are Done.

Also CSU really showed us who they really are with 16 penalties for 186 yards. They do not have a running game. If you take away the slant or crossing route they are Done.
The CSU coach rape the craps out off Reno, his former employer. He better have something. What a POS.

In the CBS sports rankings, we're up 9 spots to 77 overall, just ahead of Virginia Tech. Crazy to see how much they've fallen off over the years. They used to be one of the premier football teams in the country. Great to see the Rebels climbing up the list though!

Our fellow rankees are Iowa State, Michigan State, Georgia Tech, and Virginia Tech and Appalachian State and BSU is 70th. We are 78th. In other words we are 40 point underdog to Oregon or U of W. We have work to do but a helluva start to rearming the football team. Great job Coach Odom and Staff. Next week or two we should move up to the 60's and then we hit the ranked teams and see how much we have improved. All teams are improving as the season moves along as we see Arizona played well vs UW, and USC let down vs Buffs. Teams can't get up for every game but UNR deserves to get waxed.

Our fellow rankees are Iowa State, Michigan State, Georgia Tech, and Virginia Tech and Appalachian State and BSU is 70th. We are 78th. In other words we are 40 point underdog to Oregon or U of W. We have work to do but a helluva start to rearming the football team. Great job Coach Odom and Staff. Next week or two we should move up to the 60's and then we hit the ranked teams and see how much we have improved. All teams are improving as the season moves along as we see Arizona played well vs UW, and USC let down vs Buffs. Teams can't get up for every game but UNR deserves to get waxed.
It seems like in many years past, other teams got better as the season went on, but UNLV didn't. Hopefully those years are behind us.

UNR has actually played a bit better the past few weeks also. Lost by 7 to Kansas, @ Texas State by 11, and then @ Fresno 27-9. Not nearly as bad as what I expected after they got waxed by Idaho 33-6 and @ USC 66-14.

Hopefully the staff puts together a great plan with the extra week of prep and we can get healthy and go out and destroy them.

This did not happen!

The Trojans did not let down against the Buffs? CU could have mailed it in after the first half but didn’t, you got this wrong!

This did not happen!

The Trojans did not let down against the Buffs? CU could have mailed it in after the first half but didn’t, you got this wrong!
I'm wondering then, is USC overrated or are all teams getting their legs under them after 5 games or so?

I'm wondering then, is USC overrated or are all teams getting their legs under them after 5 games or so?
I cant speak to other teams but CU was on the way to getting their doors blown off and they came out in the 2nd half a completely different team. No let down from USC, more of a ”we aren’t going out like this” from CU!

ESPN FPI has is winning 7.7 games, with a 94.9% chance of bowling. 5.1% chance to lose 7 or more for UNLV pretty much means 80%. Get that win over Reno and maybe I’ll call it a lock for the Rebs to go bowling. MAYBE. Even winning 6 doesn’t guarantee UNLV is a bowl team. It would be JUST our luck.

We aren't just 4th, but apparently now we are "good"!
It's nice to see us listed in the top part of the conference for a change. As the season has gone on this year, I feel like we're improving in all aspects of the game. Our special teams is really good, which helps us a ton as compared to previous years. Our offense and defense both seem to be improving each week. Hopefully that continues as the players get acclimated to new coaches and the new philosophies. If that's the case, we'll have our best season in a long time. First things first though, get a W on the road up in Reno.

Getting flashbacks to last year, where we had 2 games left against awful teams. Split them to go 5-7 :(.

At least we have 4 games against not very impressive teams. We have been able to take care of business in these situations up to this point. Hopefully that continues.

Even Wyoming has not looked great recently.

Definitely some potential to have a record year.

Getting flashbacks to last year, where we had 2 games left against awful teams. Split them to go 5-7 :(.

At least we have 4 games against not very impressive teams. We have been able to take care of business in these situations up to this point. Hopefully that continues.

Even Wyoming has not looked great recently.

Definitely some potential to have a record year.
One game at a time. Have to take care of business in Reno.

If we take care of business against the remaining teams on our schedule (as we should), then the results will speak for themselves.

This article basically indirectly states that we will beat Fresno!

Also says that Fresno is about to lose a few games, FWIW.

This article basically indirectly states that we will beat Fresno!

Also says that Fresno is about to lose a few games, FWIW.
They certainly are hot takes, yet there is truth to playing with a number next to your name and wanting to have NY6 aspirations... and if we can control the ball and the line of scrimmage on offense, we have a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT