ADVERTISEMENT

Progression

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
Against Vandy we saw it. Oblad, Magyar, Bean, the O Line & the overall defense took big steps forward against an arguably weak bottom tier SEC team. The coaches added a few new wrinkles in the offense and Vandy played right into our hands by not loading the box to stop the run until the 2'nd half. After they made that 2'nd half adjustment we weren't the same offensive team.

So now we are gonna need a big progression in our play calling because from here on out the teams we play are gonna make us beat them through the air. Now I am not advocating we pass the ball 35-40 times a game but rather we use the pass more effectively to open up the running game. Against Vandy we were able to use the running game to open up the passing game and that won't always be the case.

If we come out and try to run the ball 18 out of our first 20 offensive plays I don't see us scoring enough points to win many games.

Great win for the Rebels but much work is left to be completed.

Against Vandy we saw it. Oblad, Magyar, Bean, the O Line & the overall defense took big steps forward against an arguably weak bottom tier SEC team. The coaches added a few new wrinkles in the offense and Vandy played right into our hands by not loading the box to stop the run until the 2'nd half. After they made that 2'nd half adjustment we weren't the same offensive team.

So now we are gonna need a big progression in our play calling because from here on out the teams we play are gonna make us beat them through the air. Now I am not advocating we pass the ball 35-40 times a game but rather we use the pass more effectively to open up the running game. Against Vandy we were able to use the running game to open up the passing game and that won't always be the case.

If we come out and try to run the ball 18 out of our first 20 offensive plays I don't see us scoring enough points to win many games.

Same thing happens with me for basketball. When there’s a trend (we have been bad), I can’t toss all that away because we dominated a bad team and looked good. I’m hoping, certainly … but not holding my breath. Years and years of fan psyche abuse makes me ultra reluctant. Takes a string of a good few for me.

If they stray from that blue print it is a huge mistake.

Nearly every single pass Oblad made yesterday was a direct result of how well they ran the ball. Vandy was getting absolutely gashed. They cheated guys in the box and Oblad got one v one coverage on the pass to Grimes.

UNLV kept the defense off the field and the result was a fresh unit. They played their best game of the season.

Even when they only got a yard or two on first down run play, they came back and ran again. Oblad saw a ton of 3rd and manageable scenarios.

As long as the score allows it, continue to run the ball. If the defense is holding up, run the ball.

Last edited:
Pete, I'm telling you now, if they stray from that blue print it is a huge mistake.

Nearly every single pass Oblad made yesterday was a direct result of how well they ran the ball. Vandy was getting absolutely gashed. They cheated guys in the box and Oblad got one v one coverage on the pass to Grimes.

UNLV kept the defense off the field and the result was a fresh unit. They played their best game of the season.

Even when they only got a yard or two on first down run play, they came back and ran again. Oblad saw a ton of 3rd and manageable scenarios.

As long as the score allows it, continue to run the ball. If the defense is holding up, run the ball.
i never said to get away from the run or not run as much only implied that we were literally unable to generate any sustained drives in the 2'nd half against one of the worst rushing defenses in the country. Our scoring in the 2'nd half was mainly the direct result of our D.

We had good luck with simple swing passes out of the backfield to both Bean & Magyar that would & did work nicely on 1'st downs. Just saying that while we are built to run and need to play to our strength our play calling needs to keep the other team off balance and guessing what is coming next.

But I would be remiss if I don't bring up & wonder whether or not Oblad's improvement doesn't continue to trend upward and he becomes more and more a reliable threat in our offense.

Looking forward to hear CTS' thoughts on the game, Bean, Magyar, the D and Oblad on The Reb Zone tonight and the Press Conference tomorrow.

i never said to get away from the run or not run as much only implied that we were literally unable to generate any sustained drives in the 2'nd half against one of the worst rushing defenses in the country. Our scoring in the 2'nd half was mainly the direct result of our D.

We had good luck with simple swing passes out of the backfield to both Bean & Magyar that would & did work nicely on 1'st downs. Just saying that while we are built to run and need to play to our strength our play calling needs to keep the other team off balance and guessing what is coming next.

But I would be remiss if I don't bring up & wonder whether or not Oblad's improvement doesn't continue to trend upward and he becomes more and more a reliable threat in our offense.

Looking forward to hear CTS' thoughts on the game, Bean, Magyar, the D and Oblad on The Reb Zone tonight and the Press Conference tomorrow.

Gotcha...

My fault..

BC mentioned this in another thread.

Its called recency bias. Involves the last thing you saw being prominent in memory.

Oblad had a very good game.

But as you mentioned in regards to the run game struggles in the second half, his success this week was also against one of the worst defenses in the country.

He was excellent. No doubt. He wasn't so good last week when they put the game on him vs a good Boise State team.

Truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

He's young, has some talent, getting good experience. May develop into a very good QB. But way to early to tell. To small of a sample size..

Sure they can't get stagnant in play calling. Need to show different looks. But I wouldn't mess with the run/pass ratio unless forced to by score..

Gotcha...

My fault..

Its called recency bias. Involves the last thing you saw being prominent in memory.

But as you mentioned in regards to the run game struggles in the second half, his success this week was also against one of the worst defenses in the country.

He was excellent. No doubt. He wasn't so good last week when they put the game on him vs a good Boise State team.

He's young, has some talent, getting good experience. May develop into a very good QB. But way to early to tell. To small of a sample size..

Sure they can't get stagnant in play calling. Need to show different looks. But I wouldn't mess with the run/pass ratio unless forced to by score..

Yes it is way "TOO" early to tell.....Yes "TOO" small of a sample size..

Gotcha...

My fault..

We rushed for 141 yds in the 1'st half & only 65 in the 2'nd half after Vandy made their adjustments. MWC teams make that adjustment to start the game which is why I believe we need to be more creative with our play calling.

Our only TD in the 2'nd half came on the fumble recovery we returned to the Vandy 40 & it was our longest drive of the half.

Just a couple observations.

We rushed for 141 yds in the 1'st half & only 65 in the 2'nd half after Vandy made their adjustments. MWC teams make that adjustment to start the game which is why I believe we need to be more creative with our play calling.

Our only TD in the 2'nd half came on the fumble recovery we returned to the Vandy 40 & it was our longest drive of the half.

Just a couple observations.
Everything you say is true. However, I believe starting at the end of the 1st half, our play calling got uber conservative. Luckily, Vandy was so inept on offense that it paid off. Vandy did adjust to stopping the run, but it seemed as if our adjustment was to just keep that clock running and to limit any opportunities for mistakes, which was smart.

I don't think the 2nd half of the Vandy game can tell us anything, one way or the other, about how the rest of MWC play will go. You can probably look at the last 4 years to determine that.

In the second half it looked like UNLV was playing to run the clock out. No need to push for more points, so it is hard to know if the adjustments made a difference or if it was a change in the play of UNLV that made the difference.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Everything you say is true. However, I believe starting at the end of the 1st half, our play calling got uber conservative. Luckily, Vandy was so inept on offense that it paid off. Vandy did adjust to stopping the run, but it seemed as if our adjustment was to just keep that clock running and to limit any opportunities for mistakes, which was smart.

I don't think the 2nd half of the Vandy game can tell us anything, one way or the other, about how the rest of MWC play will go. You can probably look at the last 4 years to determine that.

People tend to have very short memories. (Not you, general statement here) This results in a lot of knee jerk reactions.

Starting with the end of last year.

Armani plays the best game of his career vs Reno after returning from injury. Rebels still finish 4-8. There were a lot, and I mean a lot of posts here and people in local media, saying if UNLV had Armani all year they probably make a bowl. This was because of course based on the Reno game and Armani's performance. It was fresh in people's heads. It completely ignored his struggles in earlier starts that year.

This year he struggles out of the gate and he's back to being the goat again..(Not G.O.A.T. the good kind)

Two weeks ago...

Oblad plays a pretty poor game vs a good Boise squad. 24 of 55. He threw two late TDs but the game was already out of reach. Had a stretch of 8? (Maybe it was more) straight incompletions. It wasn't pretty.

Bounces back against Vanderbilt. Made the throws he needed.

I don't think he is as bad as he was against Boise, I don't know that he is as good as he was against Vandy.

UNLV should follow the same blueprint as the Vandy game. However its likely Oblad is going to have to make some throws against less favorable coverages this week. How he performs in this game will shed a lot more light on what UNLV has with him at QB.

We were unusually successful getting our tight ends open. I would love to see Armani in that role. It would be ugly to be a defensive back and have the responsibility to bring down Armani after he caught the ball in open space.

Reactions: rebel5280
In the second half it looked like UNLV was playing to run the clock out. No need to push for more points, so it is hard to know if the adjustments made a difference or if it was a change in the play of UNLV that made the difference.

Exactly.

Vanderbilt had shown nothing on offense. There was no reason to stray from what they were doing.

Keep running clock and shortening the game.

We were unusually successful getting our tight ends open. I would love to see Armani in that role. It would be ugly to be a defensive back and have the responsibility to bring down Armani after he caught the ball in open space.

Now this is a great idea.. Armani as a "move" TE in some packages spread out wide to utilize him in the open field and exploiting the mismatch he would be for the opposing defense. This makes too much sense and we all know it won't happen but this is a very good idea!

Now this is a great idea.. Armani as a "move" TE in some packages spread out wide to utilize him in the open field and exploiting the mismatch he would be for the opposing defense. This makes too much sense and we all know it won't happen but this is a very good idea!

This seems like a good idea, anybody know if he can actually catch the ball though?

He'd be better used as a change of pace QB in heavy sets when the Rebels need a yard or down by the goal line.

Reactions: dcut03
People tend to have very short memories. (Not you, general statement here) This results in a lot of knee jerk reactions.

Starting with the end of last year.

Armani plays the best game of his career vs Reno after returning from injury. Rebels still finish 4-8. There were a lot, and I mean a lot of posts here and people in local media, saying if UNLV had Armani all year they probably make a bowl. This was because of course based on the Reno game and Armani's performance. It was fresh in people's heads. It completely ignored his struggles in earlier starts that year.

This year he struggles out of the gate and he's back to being the goat again..(Not G.O.A.T. the good kind)

Two weeks ago...

Oblad plays a pretty poor game vs a good Boise squad. 24 of 55. He threw two late TDs but the game was already out of reach. Had a stretch of 8? (Maybe it was more) straight incompletions. It wasn't pretty.

Bounces back against Vanderbilt. Made the throws he needed.

I don't think he is as bad as he was against Boise, I don't know that he is as good as he was against Vandy.

UNLV should follow the same blueprint as the Vandy game. However its likely Oblad is going to have to make some throws against less favorable coverages this week. How he performs in this game will shed a lot more light on what UNLV has with him at QB.
I'll take his version of bad (Boise) vs the Armani version of bad (Ak St). Plus on a few plays it looks like he actually made it past his first read. That was nice for a change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT