ADVERTISEMENT

Post-Game Thread UNLV vs Boise State

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
Some quick thoughts right after this ended;

1. Losing to an interim coach in the championship game by a score of 44-20 is not a good look. The score is not indicative of how badly they beat us.
2. There were certain plays that looked funny in terms of how much effort was given to get a first down.
3. As mentioned before in the in-game thread, if we lose the bowl game and end up at 9-5, we have to legit look in the mirror and ask if we are a good team? Thats my opinion.
4. I hope we take a close look in the mirror at our defensive coaches. The secondary didnt improve at all. Davis and Magazu need to go for us to truly compete. Also, revamp the entire secondary personnel wise.

Thoughts and comments welcomed. I hope everyone gets home safely.

Last edited:
Boise, SJSU, Air Force (when healthy) and Fresno (close but they get the nod just because they beat unlv) are better in conference. Being the 3-5 best team in the conference after years of mediocrity is definitely a step up and welcome change. I don’t expect a significantly better team any time soon and just hope UNLV can maintain the momentum from this season.

I can easily just as see UNLV a .500 team next year as I can a 9-4 team.

The program and direction is fine. We did a lot with left over pieces and portal additions. The portal will be very fruitful for UNLV. very. And we will lose some key guys, but our portal will be an upgrade.

That we succeeded as much as we have surprises the hell out of me.

The coaches will fix as many as the obvious flaws we have.

Need a QB that can run this particular system. The two we have aren’t it, imo. Can’t be afraid to run.

We definitely achieved beyond where year 1 should've been.. does that change my expectations for next year... No, we need to reload and go win the damn thing.
2. Fresno will take a step back without Tedford and if Keene leaves.
3. SJSU will not be as good without Cordeiro. It's hard to replace that kind of experience.
4. Hopefully we get alot better on defense. Somehow our offense took a step backwards with the run game despite the TDs keeping up. Sometimes change can be a good thing.
5. All the other openings in conference and changes should make it interesting, I like having an established coach that takes notes and learns. Just feel like he saw what is missing and will make improvements.
At worse, this has been incredibly fun season and we are no longer a doormat for teams. Should be top 3 team preseason next year

Boise recruits 2-3 stars and develops them, that is what UNLV needs to do to have sustainable success!

Odom had a good season this year but thinking or expecting Odom to kill it in recruiting the portal may be asking too much.

We don’t have the NIL bags for guys and as I have said we don’t have the tradition or culture to expect a bunch of quality portal transfers to come here, we need to recruit what we can and develop talent and depth and maybe expect to get 2-4 pieces from the portal. Expecting anything else, will lead to disappointment!

The program and direction is fine. We did a lot with left over pieces and portal additions. The portal will be very fruitful for UNLV. very. And we will lose some key guys, but our portal will be an upgrade.

That we succeeded as much as we have surprises the hell out of me.

The coaches will fix as many as the obvious flaws we have.

Need a QB that can run this particular system. The two we have aren’t it, imo. Can’t be afraid to run.
I still think Jayden Maiava is a keeper.

Biggest game of the program’s history and it didn’t look like he even wanted to be there. Unless he was sick or something I wouldn’t count on him being the future with that attitude.
Were in good shape if he’s our backup QB next year!

Biggest game of the program’s history and it didn’t look like he even wanted to be there. Unless he was sick or something I wouldn’t count on him being the future with that attitude.
That's just not true... he was incredibly distraught after fumbling. He knew when he made mistakes. He was visibly emotional on the sideline when he got pulled. He just wasn't ready for the moment when the mistakes came and it hurt. It wasn't until the game felt out of reach and he was limping and came up short rather than bull ahead that he looked out of it...

Maiava is RS freshman, is he running qb no, he had difficult game, it happens.

Remember they won 9 games in yr, not 4 years
If Odom stays no reason UNLV can't be top MWC, no slow build, take a deep breath relax, it's been 40 some yrs, this was great yr, disappointing last 2 games, sure. Last yr UNLV was one worst teams in football.

Boise recruits 2-3 stars and develops them, that is what UNLV needs to do to have sustainable success!
Yeah UNLV isn’t getting 4 star recruits out of HS so you bring in system guys, utilize a RS year, keep them around for 5 years and then use the Portal to get instant impact guys P5 guys that would have never looked at UNLV out of HS.

Great crowd at the game. Defense let us down today. But the Maiva fumble kinda killed momentum. It proves this town will support a winning program. Lots of missed tackles. Boise was the better team and they deserved to win. I think we are still in that middle tier on top MWC team getting ready to move up to the top tier (Boise, AF, SDSU and Fresno).

Not as good not as bad.....If Odom commits to UNLV I see no reason we don't continue an upward trend. The boys started playing some quality opponents and got lit up. Well, now you know what you need to do moving forward. Very hard to do a complete 180 after 40 years of horrible football. This season is a very good step in the right direction. Win our bowl game and get back on the recruiting trail work harder!

I am happy overall with this season, but we will need to upgrade the talent and coaching this offseason. You are only as good as your last game/season and teams will be more prepared for us next season. Support and attendance gradually grew this season, but if we have a bad season in 2024, that support/attendance can drop just as fast.

We play at Houston and at Kansas plus a game against Wazzu or Oregon State. That can easily be 3 losses. Play at Boise and Wyoming too. Thats 5 tough games that we will need to have the talent, whether it be homegrown or portal kids, and coaching to compete in.

I must have seen a different game. Maiva made mistakes but I saw a lot of effort and heart in his play. I think maybe the game was "too big" for him. He'll continue to grow.

Some quick thoughts right after this ended;

1. Losing to an interim coach in the championship game by a score of 44-20 is not a good look. The score is not indicative of how badly they beat us.
2. There were certain plays that looked funny in terms of how much effort was given to get a first down.
3. As mentioned before in the in-game thread, if we lose the bowl game and end up at 9-5, we have to legit look in the mirror and ask if we are a good team? Thats my opinion.
4. I hope we take a close look in the mirror at our defensive coaches. The secondary didnt improve at all. Davis and Magazu need to go for us to truly compete. Also, revamp the entire secondary personnel wise.

Thoughts and comments welcomed. I hope everyone gets home safely.

I think this was a 5-7 to 6-6 team in terms of overall talent that got coached up and pulled off 9 wins.

We don't have enough on defense yet. Offensively the OLine has to get better. Run game can't rely totally on deception to pick up yards. Sometimes you've got to be able to just punch the other dude in the mouth. Short yardage was a struggle.

I'm extremely happy with the season despite the last two weeks.

There's just areas we aren't good/deep enough yet.

Was it just me or was there a Blue Smurf Lovefest? It was disgusting how the announcers praised them, refs made favorable calls for them and the FAWKS production team had a former BS Coach but no one from UNLV.

Last edited:
I am happy overall with this season, but we will need to upgrade the talent and coaching this offseason. You are only as good as your last game/season and teams will be more prepared for us next season. Support and attendance gradually grew this season, but if we have a bad season in 2024, that support/attendance can drop just as fast.

We play at Houston and at Kansas plus a game against Wazzu or Oregon State. That can easily be 3 losses. Play at Boise and Wyoming too. Thats 5 tough games that we will need to have the talent, whether it be homegrown or portal kids, and coaching to compete in.
The Kansas game will be a beast... JD6 may be a Heisman candidate healthy and they're only going to improve in the offseason. Liebold can coach and it'll be a road game in a full stadium... some nice Big 12 audiences next year to test the market, lol..

That’s as tough a schedule next year as ours was very forgiving this year. Fans shouldn’t expect to be 5-1 mid-season. If all goes as planned in off-season we’ll be a better team (better talent at least) and have a fighting chance in these games.

I must have seen a different game. Maiva made mistakes but I saw a lot of effort and heart in his play. I think maybe the game was "too big" for him. He'll continue to grow.
While I didn’t like to lose our first chance at a championship, I’m ok that JM made mistakes in the game.

When I wasn’t “perfect” early in my career, it made me learn more and it made me hungrier. If he has that same mentality, we have a winner in house!

That being said, bring in another QB to create competition at that position. At worst we need a solid backup.

Agreed. JM didn’t have a good game. Period. Very unfortunate timing and frustrating as hell, but not like we had anyone on the bench to run the offense and capable of beating BSU today, certainly not with how our defense played. Pretty sure none of us are close enough to JM to know his attitude toward the game. Let’s cut the kid some slack. He was a key part of a fun season. We definitely wouldn’t be in the title game without him.

Boy that is a tough schedule we could be a better team and have a much worse record. Agreed can't rest on laurels. Full assessment on all levels.

JM needed the run game to get going but Boise made us one dimensional, in fact the last couple games the opposition had focused on our run game that was so successful for much of the season.

Boise just had a better roster and a plan to make JM beat them on his own. Not JM’s fault.

I think going forward, the big positive is that this team got a lot of experience in big games in November and December. We have another one coming in our bowl game. Hopefully going forward we don’t hear anymore “this is the first time unlv….since 1970…” and these games are normal and expected.

Reactions: VegasKC SDM
Did I call it..Boise St fuggin good. This black dude at the top of the concourse. Said “take my picture.” I said No and he got mad but the cops were there.

I should have taken a picture of my penis and give the phone to the cop who saw the entire interaction.

I sat in the Boise section and they were waving at us as we left. And I yelled, what happened to Kellen Moore AND VanderEsch. They got hella quiet.

But I stayed till the end and watched.

I went to the game with my best friend who is vice principal from my high school, CMHS.

And we split up and I sat with family. They f’n bought tickets, and I told them I had tickets!!

JM needed the run game to get going but Boise made us one dimensional, in fact the last couple games the opposition had focused on our run game that was so successful for much of the season.

Boise just had a better roster and a plan to make JM beat them on his own. Not JM’s fault.

I think going forward, the big positive is that this team got a lot of experience in big games in November and December. We have another one coming in our bowl game. Hopefully going forward we don’t hear anymore “this is the first time unlv….since 1970…” and these games are normal and expected.
I didn’t see Jet Thomas get the ball what happened? Nah Boise St was that good.

A couple of things for me.
First the run game has not been all that effective for several games now. Take UNM out of the equation, we have struggled against nearly every team since CSU. This offense is built off an effective run game and it wasn't.
Thatbus due probably because of a couple of things. First an uptick in opposition quality. 2 more film of us and a blue print was out to beat us
Maiava isn't good enough to throw it 40 times a game yet. So our offense stalled a bit. As a team we peaked with Wyoming.
Defense has some holes for sure. Secondary gets picked on and yes they have had some struggles, but many of the plays were we got best deep was from a play call perspective. We have to sell out sometimes and we are left with susceptible match ups that were exploited.
Does all this mean that we should be hanging out heads? Hell no!
This was still a great season. And we should not lose sight if that.
In terms of upgrades I see it happening. Last I checked we had the highest rated incoming class, and this staff has been excellent fining "diamonds in the rough" like DeJesus,Pisano, and Jet Thomas that had zero excitement in terms of ratings coming in.
I think we will have an upgraded roster for sure between the HS and transfer recruits.

Reactions: unlove
As for bowl games, I hope we get a decent g5 team and have a winnable game. Personally I don't want Toledo. I'd rather get a team that we have a better shot at beating just to add momentum and excitement into next season.
I'm disappointed that we fell flat for a good crowd. We need more support and losing like that potentially hurts. Ending the season with a bowl win can retcon some of that

Reactions: 1Tripoda
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT