ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV vs Boise State

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
Starting this a bit early. How are you all feeling? Any predictions/comments?

When the matchup was first announced, I thought it would be a shootout. Now I'm leaning towards it being a low scoring and tight game. As of this post, I think the game will be in the 20s.

Last edited:

I actually like this matchup better than SJSU, but not by much.

Boise will travel well.

Running back scares me a lot. Rebs will absolutely have to swarm to the ball and get multiple defenders on this guy. He's a load.

I'm not enamored with their QB Green. He's dangerous with his legs but he's loose with the ball 9TDs 8INTs and He's not a particularly accurate passer either.

Boise's OL is solid, I think they've only given up 13 sacks on the year and Rebs have struggled a bit getting to the passer last few games.

Defensively Boise is stout against the run but struggles against the pass.

If Rebs are +2 in turnover battle they have a shot.

I'd be real tempted early to try and force Green to throw. If their run game gets going it could be a long day.

Spot on, @Bullmastiff 1 . Make Green beat us with his arm. He'll turn it over at least twice, either not seeing the lurking safety or simple inaccuracy. Oftentimes reminds me of Armani but a more elusive runner.

Jeanty gets a lot of yards after contact, but he's also put the ball on the ground a couple times. That's his Achilles heel.

Holoni is back and healthy as of a couple weeks ago and he has been killing it, so the Broncos have the 1-2 punch back at RB that they've been missing most of the season.

McAlister was wanting to rejoin the team after Avalos was sacked, but they said no and the receiving corps remains thin. Bolt and Strahan are coming on, tho, and Lauter has stepped up from the TE position. Cobbs has pretty much disappeared. Bowens has at least one head-scratching drop per game, if he can even get open. Again, dare them to beat us through the air. Cam will get at least one pick.

Last edited:
Play them like teams have played us. Load up the box and force them to beat us with the pass.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Right now, I have the same feeling as I had going into the AFA game. Optimistic for a good result, but worried about how much they’ve torn us up in the past. Not sure we’re ever had a competitive game against Boise.

1st half of AFA confirmed my worries. 2nd half was a complete 180 with an awesome result.

For this game, we need a strong 1st half. Would love to see a lead going into halftime. I don’t think we can go into halftime down like we were to SJSU or AFA, and expect to pull it out.

I worry about the play calling. We aren't going to run between the tackles with our small backs against their big d-line. We need to get them to open spaces to the outside or quick passes to them out of the backfield. Once our backs see some daylight they are going to move chains. They are going to be all over White on every pass play so we need to be careful there. We need to find some guys that can hold on to the ball Earls is a big guy but if he isn't going to catch and hold the ball look elsewhere. Get Balungay the ball more often. That's my .02 cents this morning without having a cup of coffee.

Boise is suspect against the pass. If we can hit a few big plays early in the game, they will have to soften up their front 7/8 against the run to provide support. If White is in single coverage all day, Maiava is going to absolutely kill them. But if they drop a safety to help provide double coverage, we should be able to scheme enough around their front 7 to create openings for our backs. Were not going to shut down their runing back, but we need to limit his impact. I think part of what SJSU was able to do on the ground was because you had to really respect Cordiero in each part of the game- run, pass, RPO.. I think you can cheat a bit with Green, hes been a very on/off QB and they defiantly dont want him to have to carry the game. Just dont make dumb turnovers, like the opening kickoffs and we should be fine.

Boise is suspect against the pass. If we can hit a few big plays early in the game, they will have to soften up their front 7/8 against the run to provide support. If White is in single coverage all day, Maiava is going to absolutely kill them. But if they drop a safety to help provide double coverage, we should be able to scheme enough around their front 7 to create openings for our backs. Were not going to shut down their runing back, but we need to limit his impact. I think part of what SJSU was able to do on the ground was because you had to really respect Cordiero in each part of the game- run, pass, RPO.. I think you can cheat a bit with Green, hes been a very on/off QB and they defiantly dont want him to have to carry the game. Just dont make dumb turnovers, like the opening kickoffs and we should be fine.
Agree, in the losses to Fresno and San Jose, the 2 fumbles by Jacob De Jesus may have very well been the difference in the outcomes of both games.

Reactions: reagan21

When the matchup was first announced, I thought it would be a shootout. Now I'm leaning towards it being a low scoring and tight game. As of this post, I think the game will be in the 20s.
I have noticed that both the fans and those posting for Boise State have very little respect for UNLV. I have noticed in several locations that they put Boise State as a 2-3 touchdown winner. I hope UNLV uses this as motivation.

Boise State is still a team we have to measure up to and the way to start doing that is to win this Saturday! You have to beat the best and we have faltered ag Fresneck, SJSU and we can‘t afford to start slow or lay an egg against Boise this weekend. We need to find a way to win or we will be on a losing streak heading into the bowl game and depending on who we draw, we could finish the year 0-3. We need to keep winning or the shine will be off the UNLV apple quicker than you can say fluke!

Right now, I have the same feeling as I had going into the AFA game. Optimistic for a good result, but worried about how much they’ve torn us up in the past. Not sure we’re ever had a competitive game against Boise.

1st half of AFA confirmed my worries. 2nd half was a complete 180 with an awesome result.

For this game, we need a strong 1st half. Would love to see a lead going into halftime. I don’t think we can go into halftime down like we were to SJSU or AFA, and expect to pull it out.

I remember Sanchez year one vs Boise.

Everybody figured UNLV would come out try and run the ball shorten the game..

Barney Cotton came out chucking the ball all over the yard.

Really exciting game..

For the first half at least.

Not so much the second half.

I remember Sanchez year one vs Boise.

Everybody figured UNLV would come out try and run the ball shorten the game..

Barney Cotton came out chucking the ball all over the yard.

Really exciting game..

For the first half at least.

Not so much the second half.
The lack of depth is what killed UNLV in that game! They looked great in the first half, and just looked worn out in the second half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT