ADVERTISEMENT

If

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
If the Aztecs go PAC 12 the MWC Commish will convene a group to search for a replacement.

Who should the new team be? Needs to be in a good TV market. Should it already be FBS so it doesn't need to upgrade a football stadium? How close should it be in order to coral travel costs? Does it even need to be a football school? Should it be near a major city or remote?

I'm really stuck for who we could possibly get that wouldn't be a huge downgrade.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
North Texas

It would be nice to get a Texas school to help with recruiting there. Plus they are doing okay in football and basketball.
We missed out on North Texas last year when MW decided not to expanded. They’ll be in the AAC. Along with UTSA and Rice.

UTEP makes the most sense. It is actually in the Mountains! They have been decent in the past, gets us unto Texas, though El Paso isn't a great market in itself.

It shouldn't be only for Market alone. We did that with SJSU and that really didn't move the needle much. The team needs some sort of following, and UTEP does.

It's time for Long Beach St and Fullerton to come back into the fold. LOL. I think last time I saw the Beach at UNLV their RB ran for like 400 yds

• Haha
Reactions: Sharktank91
I think it's UTEP or MNSU and then you end up dropping down to FCS. FCS schools in the Western Half of the Country that meet the minimum attendance standards are Montana, South Dakota State, North Dakota State. Most of the others would have to upgrade their stadium. They all would have to add scholarship sports to reach the 16 sport minimum.

Texas State is another option. just an hour south of Austin not a bad location. Gets you deeper in Texas as well. Already FBS (sun belt)

Then maybe Sam Houston State. About 90 min north of Houston. Was a FCS powerhouse that recently bumped up to C-USA.

I would really try to stay away from FCS upgrades,

Utep makes the most sense. Decent market and has the facilities. Also yes in the mountains lol. Nothing to be excited about but would fit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT