ADVERTISEMENT

Oblad INT

rorebel24

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2007
Vegas
Story of UNLV at Sam Boyd. Redzone and an INTERCEPTION in the 1 yard line. UNLV Football the team that just couldn’t.

He had 3 opportunities to run for a first down and blew all of them.
In this regard, we have had 2 completely opposite, but both ALL-OR-NOTHING quarterbacks. With Armani, as soon as there is ANY sort of chaos in the pocket, boom, he’s tucking it and running. With Oblad, he will do everything he can to stick with the pass and chuck it. Can we not have someone in the middle?

Good riddance Sam Boyd for UNLV Football.

Not the stadium's fault.

I get people who don't like the out of the way location. As far as the stadium itself goes, it has been on par with just about any stadium in the MWC except for the newer ones like at CSU..

It's out of the way, but no more than a lot of other stadiums.

People attending WASU games typically drive a minimum of 30-45 minutes to attend. A lot come in from Spokane.

The Rose bowl isn't exactly fun to get to for UCLA.

Sam Boyd has Star Nursery field which is a great place to tailgate. Better to be on grass than black top or dirt for tailgating when it's 100+ degrees outside.

Biggest mistake was not building any shopping or bars/restraunts around or near it to help draw people out to games.

Went to the Northwestern game..No joke, there were porta potties in a row inside the stadium at one entrance...

I've had a lot of good times at Sam Boyd...Not so much the results. But tailgating with friends and family for 20 odd years. Has some sentimental value for me..

Last edited:
To be fair, I think for QBs it's safe to say they suck because our QB coaching specifically sucks.

That's how I feel. I actually think we've had some decent talent at the QB spot but they never really developed much under O'Dell. Palandech wasn't a MWC level QB to begin with but Decker, Sneed, Stanton, Rogers, Gilliam, Oblad all had some degree of talent. I know guys had injuries but you would think the staff should have been able to turn at least 1 of them into a decent QB.

Last game is frustrating because the defense did it's job, for ONCE!
They hold Hawaii to 2 offensive scores and turned them over several times.
Our offense has one of the worst defenses in the league in front of them and they get dominated. No push in the run game, getting the QB crushed in the pass game, again missed opportunities with wide open receivers.
Again we are predictable AF. No short passing game, vanilla running game, etc.
Same thing with CSU. Very bad defense, little offensive production.

It was bad when just our defense sucked, it's really bad when the offense sucks too!

Last game is frustrating because the defense did it's job, for ONCE!
They hold Hawaii to 2 offensive scores and turned them over several times.
Our offense has one of the worst defenses in the league in front of them and they get dominated. No push in the run game, getting the QB crushed in the pass game, again missed opportunities with wide open receivers.
Again we are predictable AF. No short passing game, vanilla running game, etc.
Same thing with CSU. Very bad defense, little offensive production.

It was bad when just our defense sucked, it's really bad when the offense sucks too!

This was one of my points about the run game when the calls for Oblad to start began..

Without the threat of Armani keeping it on the zone read, we were going to see fewer big runs. It happened last season when Gilliam took over. Run game suffered.

Back to your original point, Best defensive performance of the year, because Hawaii can actually move the ball unlike SDSU and Vandy.

A lot of effort from that side of the ball. Another tough matchup this week. SJSU's offense is clicking.

This was one of my points about the run game when the calls for Oblad to start began..

Without the threat of Armani keeping it on the zone read, we were going to see fewer big runs. It happened last season when Gilliam took over. Run game suffered.

Back to your original point, Best defensive performance of the year, because Hawaii can actually move the ball unlike SDSU and Vandy.

A lot of effort from that side of the ball. Another tough matchup this week. SJSU's offense is clicking.

That's why it is frustrating. We all know you can't do the same things with KO as Rogers, but have they changed much? They don't run read option, but instead have tried the most basic plays to replace them. Power running, one counter last game that actually worked. That's it.

So how about some short passing game (besides the naked WR screen pass). Collins got hurt, but he isn't being used any more anyway. The quick posts Oblad can't throw. Which is frustrating since they have been there. There are other ways to open up running lanes, but we don't do them.

Maybe Oblad can't make those throws to do that. Well in that case maybe go back to AR. Use WYO as a template on creating a multifaceted run offense with a mobile QB that can't throw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT