ADVERTISEMENT

nucleus

jdlr33

Lottery Pick
Nov 28, 2002
Had been figuring all along that next year is another rebuild with all the seniors - but with the emergence of whaley and the injury to hill - if dedan, Hill and Whaley are here next year i think it would be a solid nucleus to build around - like a poor man's Anthony, Augmon, LJ. I realize that the likelihood of all 3 being here next year is low nowadays.

also - if Noelle ever gets consistently playing at a level that we've seen flashes of - that's another piece.

I’ve been thinking about that as well. Land a productive portal replacement for Ka. Boone and a shooter and we could have a decent team.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I’ve been thinking about that as well. Land a productive portal replacement for Ka. Boone and a shooter and we could have a decent team.
Some Miami player just got granted his 8th years of eligibility, the Boone Bros should find some kind of loophole somewhere.

Who is/are our designated shooter(s) next year? I’d like to see Brooklyn get some more PT. Can’t tell if he has the potential to be a shooter. Hope CKK gives him some run instead of run him out.

Had been figuring all along that next year is another rebuild with all the seniors - but with the emergence of whaley and the injury to hill - if dedan, Hill and Whaley are here next year i think it would be a solid nucleus to build around - like a poor man's Anthony, Augmon, LJ. I realize that the likelihood of all 3 being here next year is low nowadays.

also - if Noelle ever gets consistently playing at a level that we've seen flashes of - that's another piece.
Trying to predict next years roster ? we will most likely have a coaching change - its impossible - even the players and coaches couldn't tell you what the personnel is going to look like next year. Schollies are year to year and so is NIL

I like your plotting and planning for the future - Who should we pencil in for center ?

For arguments sake let's just say Kruger is retained.

Players eligible to return
Cottrell
Nowell
Whaley
Barnarbie
Jones*
JJ3
Hicks
DJ
Hill

Incoming recruits
NDiaye
Evans
Cherry

Jones is listed as a Sr. this year, not a "5th year" Senior which makes me think he has another year. Not bad for and end of bench big, but we will see if he is retained.
Barnarbie hasn't dressed, on a team with big depth issues. Seems like the most likely to transfer simply based off of that.
Cottrell is seemingly having health issues again. Does he come back? Foot injuries can be career killers because they often never heal due to blood supply issues. No idea personally what is going on with him, but his return is questionable at the very least.
So with everyone coming in and coming back, that gives us 5 bigs, bigs that are pretty much 5's. Chances are we lose at least 2.

Could use more guard depth, ideally someone who can also take over PG duties.
Whaley is the only one left that can score in the post at this level. Not quite sure of Cherry's skillset. I could see an impact transfer come in for that as well.
A transfer scoring and or shooting wing also makes sense. They may also try to go for a LuRod wing defender type.

Reactions: RebelScrub
IF Kevin is retained I think you will see more turn over. He is going to have to bring in a couple impact players or next will definitely be his last. He will have to make room for those players.
Of players listed above that are returning players DJ, Hill and Whaley are the ones that would hurt to lose. The rest are all replaceable and need to be upgraded.
I don't know much about the three new players so don't know if they will be any help or not.
UNLV needs players that go hard every play and against every team no matter who the are playing, rather it be Southern, LMU, or Kentucky. Not take plays or games off because they think it is an easy win or whatever is going through their heads.
Kevin needs to find players that are tough, have talent and play as a team.

IF Kevin is retained I think you will see more turn over. He is going to have to bring in a couple impact players or next will definitely be his last. He will have to make room for those players.
Of players listed above that are returning players DJ, Hill and Whaley are the ones that would hurt to lose. The rest are all replaceable and need to be upgraded.
I don't know much about the three new players so don't know if they will be any help or not.
UNLV needs players that go hard every play and against every team no matter who the are playing, rather it be Southern, LMU, or Kentucky. Not take plays or games off because they think it is an easy win or whatever is going through their heads.
If they don't go with a BIG hire as much as I hate to say it maybe give him another year. Hope football takes the next step and maybe we can attract even a bigger name.

They can’t retain Kevin unless they want 500-1000 people in the stands. He has proven (as many of us knew) that he is not qualified nor a needle mover perception wise. It’s not even a question as to if they should move on IMO. It was an atrocious hire by an AD who knew nothing about sports.

Kevin also needs to COACH toughness. Aside from a few player exceptions UNLV have been marshmellows for many years. I have my doubts whether being tough comes naturally for him.

Reactions: rebelzzz
They can’t retain Kevin unless they want 500-1000 people in the stands. He has proven (as many of us knew) that he is not qualified nor a needle mover perception wise. It’s not even a question as to if they should move on IMO. It was an atrocious hire by an AD who knew nothing about sports.
If your not going to go after a Will Wade type. Which will be a perfect fit. Then who? There are very few names to put butts in the seats in our price range.. We are not buying out anybodys contract (Wade is in reach). We go after a Beard or Otz type then what happened with those 2 Will happen again. Wade is a little damaged. Hopefully we could sign him with a BIG buyout. Like 10-15 million plus. A gamble? YES! , but this is Vegas.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
There’s gonna be a thousand seats with the next hire as well.

Reactions: dcut03
I have a feeling even if you bring in Steve Kerr as the next HC it's going to take nearly a season to start replacing ticket purchasers, just like football took nearly half a season or more to get to where it is now. Either way, a decision needs to be made, retain or start looking now in the background.

I have a feeling even if you bring in Steve Kerr as the next HC it's going to take nearly a season to start replacing ticket purchasers, just like football took nearly half a season or more to get to where it is now. Either way, a decision needs to be made, retain or start looking now in the background.
Agreed. I think a “perfect” hire or one that is just high profile and intriguing to all - that’ll get a splash first year, but it wouldn’t be like the Mack is packed. Too much futility for too long of a time … there’s just the “fool me once” syndrome with a segment of people. But one year of success and I think they could snap it back to 14K plus.

Odom was widely respected in the game, an unknown to most UNLV fans … not the sexiest hire by name, by press conference, but interviews/demeanor. You won’t confuse him with D. Sanders.

I’m more of a substance over style guy. Combine both, awesome, even better.

This mentality is what hurts UNLV and a true evaluation of Kevin.

You are not the only one with this, far from it. Not specifically trying to call you out. More that this mindset really pins the AD in a weird spot.

But the idea that Kevin wasn't qualified therefore will never be good enough is flawed and unfair.

Kevin hasn't been great, but he hasn't been terrible either. Truth is, if Pitino was hired with the same results he would have much more leeway. Now that leeway was earned through his experience, but still.

He is a rookie head coach that will take time to be good. Thems the facts. Hard to say what his ceiling is, but very unlikely that he has reached it already.

That doesn't mean he should get 5 years regardless. I am not sure he still should get his 4th year regardless.

But if he finishes this year strong, solidified as an top 4-5 team, then that is progress. Especially this year. That would equate to 5+ quad 1 wins, with a potential winning record in quad 1 as well.

If the team falls apart and we lose to the bottom and finish 6th or worse, then maybe not keep him.

But due to unreasonable fans and general disinterest, Harp should not harp too much on the attendance. (lol)

He does have the advantage that CKK is cheap, and his entire salary was pretty much paid for by TJ's buyout. Also Football is in the black so he does not have to rely on basketball to fund the department.

The unfortunate truth is the general disinterest in college basketball/UNLV in Las Vegas. Being 30 years removed from being a national level program. and 16 years removed from a tournament win, the interest isn't there. Our past matters very little any more. Even the Lady Rebs struggle to draw, while the Aces are doing well.

Any hire short of a big name that has won big in the recent past will north drum up much interest. Even one that does will be probably a marginal bump. So whether it is Kevin or a bigger name, it will likely take tournament wins and/or national rankings to get the T&M legitimately 1/2 full or better.

There is also the element that he is a Kruger and a huge part of our most recent significant success in the NCAAT. UNLV has already pissed off way too many of our past history. Do we want to add the Krugers to that list? It would be different if he wasn't a Kruger.

He has to finish out the season, which is going to happen. How they finish should matter.

I have no idea what Harp is thinking. It may be NCAA or bust. He did a relatively risky move in firing Arroyo after a promising though disappointing year in his 3rd season. It paid off big time. This is a little different with a much more liked coach with history with the program. We will see. '

But if he does fire CKK, I sure hope he swings for the fences. If he aims for a double or triple, fans aren't showing and the ones that are will be vocal early in their displeasure. And it will cost him probably double the salary.

• Love

You are not the only one with this, far from it. Not specifically trying to call you out. More that this mindset really pins the AD in a weird spot.

But the idea that Kevin wasn't qualified therefore will never be good enough is flawed and unfair.

Kevin hasn't been great, but he hasn't been terrible either. Truth is, if Pitino was hired with the same results he would have much more leeway. Now that leeway was earned through his experience, but still.

He is a rookie head coach that will take time to be good. Thems the facts. Hard to say what his ceiling is, but very unlikely that he has reached it already.

That doesn't mean he should get 5 years regardless. I am not sure he still should get his 4th year regardless.

But if he finishes this year strong, solidified as an top 4-5 team, then that is progress. Especially this year. That would equate to 5+ quad 1 wins, with a potential winning record in quad 1 as well.

If the team falls apart and we lose to the bottom and finish 6th or worse, then maybe not keep him.

But due to unreasonable fans and general disinterest, Harp should not harp too much on the attendance. (lol)

He does have the advantage that CKK is cheap, and his entire salary was pretty much paid for by TJ's buyout. Also Football is in the black so he does not have to rely on basketball to fund the department.

The unfortunate truth is the general disinterest in college basketball/UNLV in Las Vegas. Being 30 years removed from being a national level program. and 16 years removed from a tournament win, the interest isn't there. Our past matters very little any more. Even the Lady Rebs struggle to draw, while the Aces are doing well.

Any hire short of a big name that has won big in the recent past will north drum up much interest. Even one that does will be probably a marginal bump. So whether it is Kevin or a bigger name, it will likely take tournament wins and/or national rankings to get the T&M legitimately 1/2 full or better.

There is also the element that he is a Kruger and a huge part of our most recent significant success in the NCAAT. UNLV has already pissed off way too many of our past history. Do we want to add the Krugers to that list? It would be different if he wasn't a Kruger.

He has to finish out the season, which is going to happen. How they finish should matter.

I have no idea what Harp is thinking. It may be NCAA or bust. He did a relatively risky move in firing Arroyo after a promising though disappointing year in his 3rd season. It paid off big time. This is a little different with a much more liked coach with history with the program. We will see. '

But if he does fire CKK, I sure hope he swings for the fences. If he aims for a double or triple, fans aren't showing and the ones that are will be vocal early in their displeasure. And it will cost him probably double the salary.
Tell Colleen that I’m playing this stupid game called Monopoly and I keep raiding her.

This was a lot of wasted words trying to justify keeping an inept coach. Can’t even play with AF at home!? How can you justify keeping this coach, seriously. This is nothing new. Zero gameplan, zero motivation for the team, can’t get them to play hard or take any pride….and he’s going to walk away with millions. This isn’t college basketball coaching. This is amateur hour. Come on now.

Reactions: mwsn7022012
Dude I sat next to Pap..some recruit. I don’t know him. I said I’ll give you 20 dollars on top of the 50,000 next year. Keep Whaley everyone else, disposable

This was a lot of wasted words trying to justify keeping an inept coach. Can’t even play with AF at home!? How can you justify keeping this coach, seriously. This is nothing new. Zero gameplan, zero motivation for the team, can’t get them to play hard or take any pride….and he’s going to walk away with millions. This isn’t college basketball coaching. This is amateur hour. Come on now.
We heard the same types of arguments with Menzies. Tons of excuses when there was zero evidence of substance.

7-9, we had two exhibition games.
Nah, it’s 9-9.

UNLV doesn’t want to deal with the pain of (potentially) having to use the phrase “losing season”, so those wins count (I know they don’t, you know they don’t, but nuthuggers need those wins). If there’s any way possible to throw in a late addition JC exhibition, UNLV will do it.

Reactions: Rosegreen1
Nah, it’s 9-9.

UNLV doesn’t want to deal with the pain of (potentially) having to use the phrase “losing season”, so those wins count (I know they don’t, you know they don’t, but nuthuggers need those wins). If there’s any way possible to throw in a late addition JC exhibition, UNLV will do it.
Some of the local high schools could be looking for a mid season exhibition game!

Nah, it’s 9-9.

We could have been in deep shit if the football team didn't put things together with the likelihood that we would have been left out of an PAC2 merger. What would happen with a 3-5 win football team and a basketball team struggling to break 500? I am thankful for the football program turnaround, and pray that they continue to improve next season!

Probably Pape Ndaiye.
Dude, he’s rail thin. I weigh more than him. I was f’n around with him. Do you remember Kahreem Abdul Jabbar vs Bruce Lee? I went to go fight stance next to him.

“dude he’s skinny. I weight more than the guy. Ushers downstairs are freakin vaginas. They kept on looking me after I threw the popcorn in the air when they were up by 30”

I left my JBL headphones at the Mack.

Anyways, this team is ****ed. Keep Kev another year. No one is coming here.

Dude, he’s rail thin. I weigh more than him. I was f’n around with him. Do you remember Kahreem Abdul Jabbar vs Bruce Lee? I went to go fight stance next to him.

“dude he’s skinny. I weight more than the guy. Ushers downstairs are freakin vaginas. They kept on looking me after I threw the popcorn in the air when they were up by 30”

I left my JBL headphones at the Mack.

Anyways, this team is ****ed. Keep Kev another year. No one is coming here.
We might need to boycott the T&M just to make our voices heard. I left with 8 minutes left , i have NEVER EVER left a game that early! Maybe a minute left just to beat the crowd back in the day .

We might need to boycott the T&M just to make our voices heard. I left with 8 minutes left , i have NEVER EVER left a game that early! Maybe a minute left just to beat the crowd back in the day .
There are 15k empty seats. That is/has been the fans making their voices heard.

like I’ve said, actual attendance and atmosphere tell you the state of the program.

There are 15k empty seats. That is/has been the fans making their voices heard.

like I’ve said, actual attendance and atmosphere tell you the state of the program.
Yea we are getting 1000-2500 max every game the last 3 years. If the numbers dwindle to 2-300 hundred then it would be a STATEMENT. Obviously it not low enough.

Nah, it’s 9-9.

There was actually a story and CKK said they might add in another game in order to get clearance for Hills medical RS.

22 dollar beers. 15 dollar Calender, that I bought from a UNLV cheerleader. She said I was 28.

Popcorn, hot dog, Gatorade..

And we lose by 30.

I walked in late too.

We heard the same types of arguments with Menzies. Tons of excuses when there was zero evidence of substance.
Can't really defend what happened with Air Force.
It was the worst team we have played in the NET ( only D1 teams count). And got boatraced by 30 at home.

Hard to justify keeping him now. 1-3 in quad 4. That is really bad.

As for evidence of substance? He did have some solid wins this year, but losing this last one just shows us that we didn't haven't fully learned from his mistakes.

I do think this team is talented enough to win some more big games. But we could win out now and miss the tournament.

So its back to 3 games in March. I thought we had more of an at large chance, but that door is now closed.

I stand by my statement that we have more than unreasonable fans, also that most of our fans are gone forever. We basically have to build from scratch at this point, which will limit who we can get as the next coach.

Can't really defend what happened with Air Force.
It was the worst team we have played in the NET ( only D1 teams count). And got boatraced by 30 at home.

Hard to justify keeping him now. 1-3 in quad 4. That is really bad.

As for evidence of substance? He did have some solid wins this year, but losing this last one just shows us that we didn't haven't fully learned from his mistakes.

I do think this team is talented enough to win some more big games. But we could win out now and miss the tournament.

So its back to 3 games in March. I thought we had more of an at large chance, but that door is now closed.

I stand by my statement that we have more than unreasonable fans, also that most of our fans are gone forever. We basically have to build from scratch at this point, which will limit who we can get as the next coach.
That’s all pretty much accurate. As it always has been it comes down to $$$ and whether UNLV can raise it. I’m skeptical that we have anyone or a few people in the community willing to write checks significant enough to truly make a statement. UNLV has allowed the program to slip into apathy. I’ve no doubt Harp would want to go that route and he’d have the President’s backing but if the $$$ isn’t there it isn’t there. That leaves us in a much different conversation about the pool of potential coaches, governed largely by how much UNLV can gather to buy out Kevin’s contract and how much is needed to pay for a new coach plus any buy out of his contract. If UNLV is having difficulty raising even that $$$ then we’re pushed into a conversation of whether firing Kevin and hiring a mid-level coach, turning over the roster and resetting the entire program (yet again) is a more likely approach to a successful program than keeping young Kevin another year and seeing if he can turn the corner as a coach. I’m not advocating for that but realistically if the $$$ isn’t there to hire a coach who is guaranteed to be more successful than Kevin, Harp will have to make an assessment as to whether a reset is the right path given all the positives and negatives. Not an enviable position for Harp. Hopefully he can raise the $$$ and he never has to reach that point. His handling of the Arroyo firing and Odom hiring gives me hope that at least we have the right person steering the ship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT