ADVERTISEMENT

New Commits

Dirk Nelson out of Visalia decommitted from UNLV according to his twitter account.
That's a bummer. Guessing he was a Sanchez guy?

Offers from AFA and Army along with Reno, UNM and others. Interesting bit is he had an offer from Oregon, too...

First one for this weekend.

EPKhBB9UYAAcETY

https://247sports.com/player/zyell-griffin-46080720/

I would be surprised to hear from Kyle Williams and Jalen Dixon as they both have OV's at other schools next week. Dixon will be visiting Montana State and Williams will be at SJSU. Williams has already had OV's at SDSU and CSU. I'm hoping we get both but, would be glad with one.

I would be surprised to hear from Kyle Williams and Jalen Dixon as they both have OV's at other schools next week. Dixon will be visiting Montana State and Williams will be at SJSU. Williams has already had OV's at SDSU and CSU. I'm hoping we get both but, would be glad with one.

We need them to shut it down now and commit. I mean really.... Montana State and San Jose State?

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
I just hope that the coach is not settling on some of the final recruits instead of finding the best players for the team. I really look forward to seeing how his recruiting goes next season when he has an entire year to recruit.

Reactions: LINEBACKER_U
I just hope that the coach is not settling on some of the final recruits instead of finding the best players for the team. I really look forward to seeing how his recruiting goes next season when he has an entire year to recruit.

I agree. Only thing is.. You can only sign 25 a year and so you can't really hold a scholarship for next year. May as well fill up now and likely next year we can be more selective.

Not every player we sign will be 3- and 4-star guys. I’m going to trust this staff until they give me reason not to.

This isn’t bashing anyone with any doubts. My trust isn’t 100% because I’ve been around this program for a very long time. I’m just being optimistic.

UNLV doesn't have many scholarships left to give and if you leave here and think you need to go visit an FCS school before you decide then you're probably deciding not to be here.

I know Arrigo is saying UNLV can take 25 commits, and that is true that the limit is 25 commits... but to do that you need to have 25 scholarships available to give.

I count about 16 seniors on last year's roster, but WR Pressley is coming back. Ashton Morgan is now leaving. Sanchez had said that UNLV was right at the scholarship limit last season (a few walk-ons were awarded scholarships) but the math doesn't work out for UNLV to have 25 spots to award unless there are more players leaving that haven't been announced yet.

I noticed two JC line backers who have size and experience. I am all in with this staff's attempts to match up with Boise and USU immediately.

UNLV doesn't have many scholarships left to give and if you leave here and think you need to go visit an FCS school before you decide then you're probably deciding not to be here.

I know Arrigo is saying UNLV can take 25 commits, and that is true that the limit is 25 commits... but to do that you need to have 25 scholarships available to give.

I count about 16 seniors on last year's roster, but WR Pressley is coming back. Ashton Morgan is now leaving. Sanchez had said that UNLV was right at the scholarship limit last season (a few walk-ons were awarded scholarships) but the math doesn't work out for UNLV to have 25 spots to award unless there are more players leaving that haven't been announced yet.

Great post. I would imagine you can factor in around 5 or so losses to attrition that could provide some leeway.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Daniel Caloca's commitment dropped us back to #4.

It is neck and neck between UNLV and CSU and technically it was CSU adding a 3-Star QB that allowed them to move back into 3rd place (in the 247Sports ranking anyway).

UNLV was 136.47 and the addition of Caloca kept it at 136.47. He is unrated and until he is doesn't help the total. What is encouraging is that this is about where UNLV ended up after signing day last year.

CSU signed a 3-star QB and that moved them from 136.30 to 138.46.

I don't know how the team scoring math works. Also I'm not sure if/when transfers (like Adam Plant Jr.) will be factored in.

Reactions: Rebelsss89
It is neck and neck between UNLV and CSU and technically it was CSU adding a 3-Star QB that allowed them to move back into 3rd place (in the 247Sports ranking anyway).

UNLV was 136.47 and the addition of Caloca kept it at 136.47. He is unrated and until he is doesn't help the total. What is encouraging is that this is about where UNLV ended up after signing day last year.

CSU signed a 3-star QB and that moved them from 136.30 to 138.46.

I don't know how the team scoring math works. Also I'm not sure if/when transfers (like Adam Plant Jr.) will be factored in.

Are JUCOs included? I can never remember..

He cancelled that Montana State visit...

EPVoYfoUEAEkY5H

Reactions: 1Tripoda and 220reb
When Caloca was evaluated it was enough to move UNLV back past CSU into 3rd place (on 247Sports).

When the Dixon commit posts it will move UNLV to 143.55 points, passing Air Force to be in 2nd place.

Dixon is the 5th highest current commit (behind Scott, Bell, Brumfield, and Pinkney)

As of this time these are the top 5 commits. 247Sports MWC Ranking still has us at 3rd. But, as BleedRebelRed90 said we should be in 2nd.

8870032.png

Head coach: Marcus Arroyo

Reactions: 220reb
247Sports just bumped Jalen Dixon's ranking. He is now our third highest commit in this class. Our top 3 are defense:

8683652.jpg

Jalen DixonO'Dea (Seattle, WA)
6-2 / 255
NA 58 15
Commit 1/27/2020

WDE

Reactions: 220reb
So 247 has us as the #2 class for 2020 in the MWC and rivals has us as the #5 class in the MWC. Which one is more accurate on evaluating talent?

So 247 has us as the #2 class for 2020 in the MWC and rivals has us as the #5 class in the MWC. Which one is more accurate on evaluating talent?
Hopefully Coach Arroyo knows what he is doing. Time will tell. I may post some rankings from time to time but It's mostly for us. Hopefully recruits see we are trending up and it gets them to look at us closer. We really have to see how this staff develops, trains, and motivates these kids. But, mostly we need to start winning some games.

I'll have to look at Rivals and see what they look at.

I was just wondering, I think Arroyo has done a very good job recruiting especially considering how little time he has been at UNLV. Since I don't know much about most these players just trying to get an idea how good this class really is.

There are a couple of guys on Rivals like Cole Palmer and Tai Tuinai who committed last year. I'm not sure if they are still on CMA's list of guys. Rivals also lists one guy twice with a misspelled name. 247Sports seems to reflect more current information to what we've been seeing.

edit: Kobe Jenkins is also on Rivals as a commit. I don't know if that is still accurate. I haven't seen his name come up since CMA came on board. Add Nakue Olotoa to that same category. The weird thing about Nakue Olotoa Rivals shows he committed on 1/18/2020. He is JC guy that 247Sports doesn't show and hasn't shown up on any radar that I've seen recently. I wonder if Arroyo knows he committed.

Last edited:
There are a couple of guys on Rivals like Cole Palmer and Tai Tuinai who committed last year. I'm not sure if they are still on CMA's list of guys. Rivals also lists one guy twice with a misspelled name. 247Sports seems to reflect more current information to what we've been seeing.

edit: Kobe Jenkins is also on Rivals as a commit. I don't know if that is still accurate. I haven't seen his name come up since CMA came on board.

Kobe Jenkins de-committed earlier this month.

Tai Tuinei had a huge drop in production from his junior to senior seasons. JR: 74 tackles 9 sacks in 13 games; SR: 38 tackles 5 sacks in 10 games. I don't know what changed but that is something that the new staff would have noticed. https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/tai-tuinei/OiC6Gk-DEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/football/stats.htm#year=19-20

Kobe Jenkins de-committed earlier this month.

Tai Tuinei had a huge drop in production from his junior to senior seasons. JR: 74 tackles 9 sacks in 13 games; SR: 38 tackles 5 sacks in 10 games. I don't know what changed but that is something that the new staff would have noticed. https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/tai-tuinei/OiC6Gk-DEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/football/stats.htm#year=19-20

Makes me wonder if they lost a productive player to graduation who played alongside him. Made him easier to double team?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT