ADVERTISEMENT

New Commits

Kobe Jenkins de-committed earlier this month.

Tai Tuinei had a huge drop in production from his junior to senior seasons. JR: 74 tackles 9 sacks in 13 games; SR: 38 tackles 5 sacks in 10 games. I don't know what changed but that is something that the new staff would have noticed. https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/tai-tuinei/OiC6Gk-DEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/football/stats.htm#year=19-20

That just goes along that Rivals doesn't keep up with their info. I found Kobe's de-commit tweet on 1/16/20. We were the only offer he had. At least 247Sports dropped him from their list.

So 247 has us as the #2 class for 2020 in the MWC and rivals has us as the #5 class in the MWC. Which one is more accurate on evaluating talent?

Hard to say.

For awhile it seemed like just about everybody was getting a 3* grade from 247, which made me a bit skeptical.

I mentioned it before, ignore Air Force' rankings typically. They get a bump because they are allowed to recruit larger classes. (They also can't redshirt so it evens things out).

Look at composite rankings more vs total number of 3/4/5 star recruits. Its seems a bit more accurate as it accounts for individual grades, vs sheer number of 3 or 4 star recruits.

Example.

Player A is a 3*
Player B is a 3*

Player A has a .835 grade
Player B has a .800 grade.

Making player A the higher grades player.

(Not sure if that's the exact formula but you get the gist)

Another example would be that SDSU is currently like 8th in the conference in total points, but their avg player rating would be second or third.

Last edited:
I think it's difficult to accurately rank classes in the mountain West versus power 5 schools. The sheer number of recruits ranked let's say say 80.0 to 85.0 is huge. Also there are less web page clicks for an analysis of a UNLV recruit versus for example a USC recruit. So there are way more players in UNLV -range players but less "expert"analysis. It's kind of a crapshoot.

All you can do is look at The players highlights and look at their offer list. Even the offer list is tricky you have to figure out which offer is legit.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I have been waiting 35 years for an off season like this. JRob brought in a lot of transfer talent where some panned out and many did not. The 2020 class may not pan out...but we're building a foundation for 2021, 2022, 2023, and if we can win in 2020 and 2021 we are building a program for years to come.

Excitement does not do justice for how I feel right now.

I have been waiting 35 years for an off season like this. JRob brought in a lot of transfer talent where some panned out and many did not. The 2020 class may not pan out...but we're building a foundation for 2021, 2022, 2023, and if we can win in 2020 and 2021 we are building a program for years to come.

Excitement does not do justice for how I feel right now.

I agree with you. I've been in town for 19 years and this is the most excited for UNLV football I've been.

Justin Pinkney just dropped from our commit list. Damnit. From the same school as Gilliam and Brumfield. We dropped from 2nd to 4th on the 247Sports rankings.

Kue Olotoa is missing from 247Sports yet he is a commit from the first OV weekend this past January. He is a LB from Riverside City College (RCC). Same college we picked up Vegas Vic last year. They say he is 6'2" 210. I found some video of him at RCC but, didn't see any high school footage. There probably is some if you search hard enough. They do have some high school wrestling footage of him but, doesn't do much good. RCC went 13-0 this year and he was a starter. He has 2 years to give to us so I hope he is a baller.

Like I said 247Sports doesn't list him but if they did he would count in the ranking like the two other Juco guys we show committed.

Here he is wearing #21
rcctrophyraise21n46.jpg

Kue Olotoa is missing from 247Sports yet he is a commit from the first OV weekend this past January. He is a LB from Riverside City College (RCC). Same college we picked up Vegas Vic last year. They say he is 6'2" 210. I found some video of him at RCC but, didn't see any high school footage. There probably is some if you search hard enough.

It's hard to find info on JUCO players... and really hard to find reliable info on JUCO players.

The source I usually go to is GridironRR. There they have Olotoa as one of three "JUCO 3-star MLB" players, and second overall at MLB. The other two are headed to TCU and Western Kentucky.

https://www.gridironrr.com/teams/de...=football&p=custom&pagename=JUCO+MLB+Rankings

UNLV is also in on the top JUCO OLB, D'Anthony Jones. He visited the first visit weekend this month:

https://www.gridironrr.com/teams/de...otball&p=custom&pagename=JUCO+DE/OLB+Rankings

Alex Lines is on an official visit this weekend to Boise State. He currently has UNLV, BSU and BYU as the schools in his final three based on interest rate. UNLV was cool on the 247 list until today or yesterday. https://247sports.com/player/alex-lines-46058321/

While TE Alex Lines moved from "cool" to "warm" with UNLV, TE Jake Ray moved from "hard commit" to "soft commit". Generally "soft" means strong possibility of flipping.

Not sure what to conclude from any of that. Lines and Ray visited the same weekend. Maybe when Ray committed it was contingent upon the Rebs not signing any other TEs in his class?

While TE Alex Lines moved from "cool" to "warm" with UNLV, TE Jake Ray moved from "hard commit" to "soft commit". Generally "soft" means strong possibility of flipping.

Not sure what to conclude from any of that. Lines and Ray visited the same weekend. Maybe when Ray committed it was contingent upon the Rebs not signing any other TEs in his class?
Jake Ray doing an official visit at Arizona State. We might lose him.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
It's hard to find info on JUCO players... and really hard to find reliable info on JUCO players.

The source I usually go to is GridironRR. There they have Olotoa as one of three "JUCO 3-star MLB" players, and second overall at MLB. The other two are headed to TCU and Western Kentucky.

https://www.gridironrr.com/teams/de...=football&p=custom&pagename=JUCO+MLB+Rankings

UNLV is also in on the top JUCO OLB, D'Anthony Jones. He visited the first visit weekend this month:

https://www.gridironrr.com/teams/default.asp?u=GRIDIRONRR&s=football&p=custom&pagename=JUCO+DE/OLB+Rankings
Yeah, hard to find info on Olotoa. These recruiting services rely heavily on watching film when ranking. There isn't much if anything on his high school game. Wrestling yes Football no. If you watch some of the film highlights from his Juco games he looks really good. But, they are highlights and only highlights. If he plays like that all the time then maybe we picked up a real sleeper that can give us some good minutes. From the film he looks to me, and I'm no expert, like a lot of the other 3* guys out there.

I hope we can also land D'Anthony. I check every day to see if he's made a decision.

Sounds like he is still committed. He tweeted this about 3 hours ago:
Leshaun Bell

@LeshaunBell

Signing Days on Wednesday, I can’t wait!!

@unlvfootball
#BEaREBEL
EPqOedFUwAER1Vs

.... and a day later he has been flown to Washington to spend the final hours of the recruiting period at Washington St.

Coach Rolovich and staff had recruited him before they left Hawaii for WSU, and coach Leach and staff had been recruiting him to WSU before they left in January.

Signing day could have some surprises.

Leshaun Bell @LeshaunBell

Pullman, WA @WSUCougarFB @CoachJRich
#GoCougs #LetsRoll #ClawsOut4:31 PM · Feb 1, 2020

.... and a day later he has been flown to Washington to spend the final hours of the recruiting period at Washington St.

Coach Rolovich and staff had recruited him before they left Hawaii for WSU, and coach Leach and staff had been recruiting him to WSU before they left in January.

Signing day could have some surprises.

Leshaun Bell @LeshaunBell

Pullman, WA @WSUCougarFB @CoachJRich
#GoCougs #LetsRoll #ClawsOut4:31 PM · Feb 1, 2020
That would hurt big time.

The big plus for UNLV over Washington State is that we have a far nicer stadium. Pullman Stadium only seats 32,932 people, which is even less that Sam Boyd Stadium and half of the new stadium.

It also looks like Collin Sutherland's rating changed and he is now #5 of our current commits. Followed by Kaleo Ballungay.

Ricky "Trey" Johnson 3* just committed. DB. 6'2" / 170. From Houston, TX. 247Sports ranks him at .8317.

On CMA’s instagram he posted “I could not be more fired up about my staff than I am right now!!” I think he’s very happy about who they have locked in for signing day.

Looking forward to Wednesday to see these players sign. Then not having to wonder if they are really committed or moving on.
Bingo.

I don't really want to ask this question, but I feel I should. Do we steal anybody that isn't a result of us having guys stolen on signing day?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT