ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting DM

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
A couple of players/commits have messaged me and asked me to let them know if the staff was recruiting players from the portal at their position and if someone from their position group was going to commit.

This is interesting to say the least..

• Wow
Reactions: LVRebel2000
A couple of players/commits have messaged me and asked me to let them know if the staff was recruiting players from the portal at their position and if someone from their position group was going to commit.

This is interesting to say the least..
Agree. But charge a % of their next NIL.

• Haha
The correct answer is unless you're Ricky White, yes...
Agreed! But lol even the players/commits dont know what is happening in terms of the portal. You'd think those convos would be had between coaches and the team. The coaches are on the road visiting the commits this week too...

Probably natural reaction for the players, coming off a successful season and wondering what the roster will look like for next season and how much competition they’ll have.

If they have a problem with being over recruited, probably not meant to be here. Odom rewards those that put in the work and compete. He’s not going to hand anyone anything.

There was one situation that baffled me during the season, but that can be discussed after the bowl game is played.

Probably natural reaction for the players, coming off a successful season and wondering what the roster will look like for next season and how much competition they’ll have.

If they have a problem with being over recruited, probably not meant to be here. Odom rewards those that put in the work and compete. He’s not going to hand anyone anything.

There was one situation that baffled me during the season, but that can be discussed after the bowl game is played.

Does it involve a particular player that showed promise in the past and didn't sniff the field this year?

Agreed! But lol even the players/commits dont know what is happening in terms of the portal. You'd think those convos would be had between coaches and the team. The coaches are on the road visiting the commits this week too...
What ever happened to the team mentality? I played D1 college sports, and although every single player wanted to be the star and start every game, sometimes you get beat out. A few people transferred, but most people stayed and worked harder to try to get their spot back.

Too much entitlement these days, pretty much across the board.

We don't want players who don't want to welcome competition and fiercely compete for spots. We want players that believe they will rise above if we are to permanently change the program and not have this success be a one-off. Mentality is huge. Cannot be understated the value and impact of having a bunch of mentality dawgs on the team.

We don't want players who don't want to welcome competition and fiercely compete for spots. We want players that believe they will rise above if we are to permanently change the program and not have this success be a one-off. Mentality is huge. Cannot be understated the value and impact of having a bunch of mentality dawgs on the team.
This!

I feel the same way. You want out, then leave. Why in the hell would you want to hold onto someone that wants to be elsewhere? Worse, try to beg them to stay and they do … want out? Get out.

Its like any job... I can either accept the offer, counter with a higher offer to retain you, or tell you to hit the road. If you already say that you're leaving and then come back and tell me that youll stay because you like it here more, I'm going to tell you to hit the road and that we've already got your replacement search underway so the position isnt available.

What ever happened to the team mentality? I played D1 college sports, and although every single player wanted to be the star and start every game, sometimes you get beat out. A few people transferred, but most people stayed and worked harder to try to get their spot back.

Too much entitlement these days, pretty much across the board.
That’s the thing, everyone has told these kids how great they are growing up. When they get to this level they are just a number unfortunately. Coaches want to win, they will play their best guys and go and find the best players (esp with access to the portal) for immediate needs. let’s face it UNLV is a stepping stone for ODOM at some point, so he’s going to try and win the most games in the quickest time to help him move on. I think the days of 2-3 years of development are over at one program are over. Kids will transfer down to FCS or JC then back to D1 if needed instead of waiting around at a one program. You see it everywhere. It’s all the way Down to the HS level even.

Does it involve a particular player that showed promise in the past and didn't sniff the field this year?
Yes and there was another incident of a clear out in the open disagreement between coaches on a position. I don’t want to delve too much into it because A.) players/coaches read this site and B.) the focus should be on Kansas.

I just think the CFB landscape and calendar year is so effed up, the season isn’t over for unlv yet we’re already in offseason mode it seems. The NCAA needs to put everything off until after the championship game is played. Allows students to focus on academics and have discussions with their coaches.

Yes and there was another incident of a clear out in the open disagreement between coaches on a position. I don’t want to delve too much into it because A.) players/coaches read this site and B.) the focus should be on Kansas.

I just think the CFB landscape and calendar year is so effed up, the season isn’t over for unlv yet we’re already in offseason mode it seems. The NCAA needs to put everything off until after the championship game is played. Allows students to focus on academics and have discussions with their coaches.

With the portal recruiting never ends it seems.

Coaches will keep more scholarships for after Spring ball because another wave of guys will hit the portal.

HS recruiting is still the backbone for most schools but years past if you had 25 spots available you went 20 HS guys and maybe 5 JUCO/Transfers.

I think you'll continue to see that number come down. Why not grab a guy that's had one year of practice and camps with 4 years of eligibility vs a true freshman..

I think you'll continue to see that number come down. Why not grab a guy that's had one year of practice and camps with 4 years of eligibility vs a true freshman..
This AND a second transfer is (currently) more difficult to get approved for non-grad transfers.

That is why I’m warming up to transfers over HS kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT