ADVERTISEMENT

Morgan -??? will he play this year

Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
From what I have been reading, it appears he may have got into some trouble and is currently suspended. Does anyone know the entire story?

Yeah, I posted the link from Fox 5 just seconds before you posted this thread.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/35395709/unlv-runnin-rebel-dwayne-morgan-suspended-after-fight
God, you would think that by now DM would know how to navigate LV without getting into an altercation with a taxi driver. I hope the altercation was verbal and not physical.

Now we get to see what sort of message Menzies sends to the team. Of course that message will depend on the outcome of DM's legal odyssey.

You don't arrest people for verbal!
To be fair, he didn't get arrested for battery or assault or anything. His charge is disorderly conduct. Sounds to me like he didn't wanna walk away from an altercation and the driver wouldn't/couldn't leave. Cops arrived and he was belligerent.

I have less than zero sources, so that's 100% a guess on reading of disorderly conduct.

Whatever the case, DM needs to keep his head. He has prominent contacts in town and he is representing UNLV 24/7 while on a scholarship. Regardless of the details, it does not show good judgement.

But we've had too much good news recently. So this is just little grounding

They say that any publicity is good publicity but I'm not so sure on this one. I'm thinking that having UNLV and Suspended in the same headline on ESPN is not a good thing.
Would MM get rid of Morgan to open up a scholarship?

If he didn't put his hands on the cab driver then he should neither be arrested nor suspended. Only in a full blown Police State would arguing (verbal disagreement) with someone result in jail and charges..

If he didn't put his hands on the cab driver then he should neither be arrested nor suspended. Only in a full blown Police State would arguing (verbal disagreement) with someone result in jail and charges..

yeah in a perfect world that would be how things work. You think student/athletes get the benefit of the doubt ??? that is not how things work !!!

Considering it is a taxi, I wonder if the taxi driver was trying to rip off Morgan? I have never been in a taxi in LV where they didn't try to jack up the fare by either starting off with mileage on the meter when they started or long hauling me to get more money. This is why I will never get in a taxi again anywhere, and now use either lift or uber.

We will need to wait and see what happens.

Either way, if he didn't touch the driver, this would be most likely nothing more than a mister meaner if anything at all.

Considering it is a taxi, I wonder if the taxi driver was trying to rip off Morgan? I have never been in a taxi in LV where they didn't try to jack up the fare by either starting off with mileage on the meter when they started or long hauling me to get more money. This is why I will never get in a taxi again anywhere, and now use either lift or uber.

We will need to wait and see what happens.

Either way, if he didn't touch the driver, this would be most likely nothing more than a mister meaner if anything at all.

Not to call you out, but I think your are thinking of a misdemeanor, lol.

By calling the police it seems like the cabbie was the meaner mister in this case!

you could be right, I have never been arrested before, so I am not up on the jargon! I will leave that to the experts like yourself! [banana]

you guys realize assault is when someone is purposely put in imminent fear of immediate harm, right. If I am seen as "menacing" and in someone's face, with or without touching them, and they are placed in imminent fear of immediate harm I have committed assault. However, no charges have been filed and I doubt any will. If charges are filed it will be disorderly conduct or if the altecation happened on the side of the road it will be something silly like obstructing a sidewalk/road. Coach will have to do something, even if this was nothing to send a message that "suspended" "fight" and UNLV should never be a headline on any news source, regardless of the veracity (or lack thereof) of the story.

Oh I am sorry, according to you, I don't have a clue what I am talking about.

An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and Tort Law.

Unless Morgan has made a threat to beat up, kill, etc. there is no assault.

1) you first said you don't arrest for verbal...you even used an exclamation point (wrong)
2) Now you're saying you can be arrested for verbal (correct)
3) But it has to be a threat to beat up or kill (wrong)
4) Then you send me to an online legal dictionary about criminal battery, which shows you don't know what you're talking about because NV doesn't have common law criminal battery because it has been codified in NRS 200.
5) NV has codified one way to assault another as "Intentionally placing another person in reasonable apprehension of immediate bodily harm."....like I said.
6) If, under the totality of the circumstances, the taxi driver reasonably felt they were in immediate harm, they were assaulted...regardless of what was said.
7) If the cops were called to the scene and the police thought there was probable cause (roughly 50+% according to criminal law experts) that the taxi driver feared he/she was placed in imminent harm then they arrest. Then the prosecution can review the facts and either pursue it towards a preliminary hearing (or conduct a grand jury and move right to trial) if they think they can convict Dwayne beyond a reasonable doubt (roughly 94+% according to criminal law experts), or not file a complaint and nothing happens.

Wikipedia and LegalDictionary.com don't teach you that. I do this for a living and have for almost 10 years. I'd leave legal opinions and statements of how the justice system/police work to those who actually know what they're talking about.

Like I said, you can arrest someone for assault if the victim reasonably was fearful of harm since the standard is only probable cause. The prosecution can either file a complaint or just drop the case altogether. In my opinion, that is what will happen or they will charge Dwayne with something minor like disturbing the peace or obstructing a road.

1) you first said you don't arrest for verbal...you even used an exclamation point (wrong)
2) Now you're saying you can be arrested for verbal (correct)
3) But it has to be a threat to beat up or kill (wrong)
4) Then you send me to an online legal dictionary about criminal battery, which shows you don't know what you're talking about because NV doesn't have common law criminal battery because it has been codified in NRS 200.
5) NV has codified one way to assault another as "Intentionally placing another person in reasonable apprehension of immediate bodily harm."....like I said.
6) If, under the totality of the circumstances, the taxi driver reasonably felt they were in immediate harm, they were assaulted...regardless of what was said.
7) If the cops were called to the scene and the police thought there was probable cause (roughly 50+% according to criminal law experts) that the taxi driver feared he/she was placed in imminent harm then they arrest. Then the prosecution can review the facts and either pursue it towards a preliminary hearing (or conduct a grand jury and move right to trial) if they think they can convict Dwayne beyond a reasonable doubt (roughly 94+% according to criminal law experts), or not file a complaint and nothing happens.

Wikipedia and LegalDictionary.com don't teach you that. I do this for a living and have for almost 10 years. I'd leave legal opinions and statements of how the justice system/police work to those who actually know what they're talking about.

Like I said, you can arrest someone for assault if the victim reasonably was fearful of harm since the standard is only probable cause. The prosecution can either file a complaint or just drop the case altogether. In my opinion, that is what will happen or they will charge Dwayne with something minor like disturbing the peace or obstructing a road.

Do you have to be so pompous? Does it make you feel better that you won the argument? I hope so!

I guess I will give that to you since per the NRS you provided, definition leaves it to the opinion of the cop (without any real definition of what is considered apprehension of immediate bodily harm). Like anything legal, it is just a matter of learning all of the definitions, and I was using common sense. I guess I should know better since I handled most of my family court cases myself when I figured out that most lawyers really were not willing to put the time into the cases.

P.S> I may not be a lawyer, but I have won a dozen times in family court against lawyers.

Get into an argument with anyone and call the police and claim assault just because the other person is bigger, black, Hispanic, etc.. I am guessing discrimination gets brought up a lot in court as a defense.

Chris Wood was in the cab at one point but not while the arrest was made.

Jesus Christ..

Everybody calm down.

Cab lives matter don't apply in this situation.

Reactions: reagan21
Uh that doesn't sound good at all. That erratic behavior sounds like something else was involved. That's not normal at all. Too bad.

Unfortunately, it looks like there may be more to the story, and it very well could have involved drugs based on the report of his erratic behavior by several witnesses. I just hope it was something else and gets cleared up without messing his life up.

Unfortunately, it looks like there may be more to the story, and it very well could have involved drugs based on the report of his erratic behavior by several witnesses. I just hope it was something else and gets cleared up without messing his life up.

Wow nice interjection !! drugs????.. You are an idiot !!

Reactions: papadub
Based on what I read, I said very well could have been, not was, and I also said I hope it was something else. Since you are calling me an idiot, what other causes are typically connected to erratic behavior, confusion to the point of trying to get into a cop car, and also trying to get into a private car of someone they do not know, and fight with the driver?

But, if you think I am an idiot, I am more than happy to put my education up against yours any day.

I hope there isn't more to this story, but by the accounts we're given in the media, the story is scary.

I am really worried about Dwayne - I hope this is an aberration and not a sign of serious personal issues.

Reactions: Rashanir
200w_d.gif

Based on what I read, I said very well could have been, not was, and I also said I hope it was something else. Since you are calling me an idiot, what other causes are typically connected to erratic behavior, confusion to the point of trying to get into a cop car, and also trying to get into a private car of someone they do not know, and fight with the driver?

But, if you think I am an idiot, I am more than happy to put my education up against yours any day.

Drugs were my first thought...... maybe he has a "medical" condition. Tried to take cop car for a ride? Then someone elses car? And the police waited until he tried to get in the 2nd car? Sounds like the were being rather patient. Bizarre to say the least.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT