ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Construction

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
This is the biggest concern I have with keeping KK.

1. How could he not bring in a transfer PG to back-up Thomas? ( He's playing 35 min a game - too much for a guy his age and frame, IMO) When Thomas sits our entire offense is in a coma.
2. How can he not have at least two kids who can shoot the ball from the arc? ( UNLV 219th from three ) In today's game you have to be able to use shooting the long ball to your advantage. Having shooters opens everything up.
3. How did he recruit a frontcourt that couldn't rebound? ( UNLV 303rd - that's spitting distance to the worst in the entire country.)

I could go on, but it would be piling on. I don't know if there is a fix for this. It has to do with identifying talent and I'm suspect KK isn't very good at it.

He even passed on the backup PG for next season as well. It’s a kid I was really hoping we’d get to backup DTJ but CKK didn’t show any reciprocity in interest.

If CKK is retained, we need shooters bad. And depth. And rebounding. And continued defense (since you know that 98% of all practice time will be spent here, the other 2% will be practicing free throws).

Totally agree Warthog. A horrible job at putting together a team. I don’t like his coaching. I don’t like his recruiting. I don’t like his scheduling. I don’t like that we never push the ball. Kevin might be perfect for the Princeton job. We go into a stall with five minutes to go in the game numerous times. Totally ridiculous. Give me a Runnin Rebel coach. One that plays up tempo exciting basketball. Of course, they have to be in shape to do that, which seems to be a problem.

Reactions: butta1231

1. How could he not bring in a transfer PG to back-up Thomas? ( He's playing 35 min a game - too much for a guy his age and frame, IMO) When Thomas sits our entire offense is in a coma.
2. How can he not have at least two kids who can shoot the ball from the arc? ( UNLV 219th from three ) In today's game you have to be able to use shooting the long ball to your advantage. Having shooters opens everything up.
3. How did he recruit a frontcourt that couldn't rebound? ( UNLV 303rd - that's spitting distance to the worst in the entire country.)

I could go on, but it would be piling on. I don't know if there is a fix for this. It has to do with identifying talent and I'm suspect KK isn't very good at it.
Imagine, just 5 more freaking rebounds and we likely win the game. 5 fewer opportunities for UNR and 5 more for us. Frankly we didn't deserve to win getting outrebounded by 20.

The bigs rebound like shooting guards. God awful numbers for a statistic that is determined primarily through toughness and grit.

It’s not so much identifying talent. Unlv was recruiting Keba Keita, a rebound and block machine. A Joel Anthony clone, Kruger couldn’t close the deal. A lot of other recruits he’s whiffed on and in addition couldn’t convince certain players to stay.

These whiffs have led to a program to be full of JAGs and it hampers a guy like Dedan’s development. I think that is too much pressure for a young player but whatever happens and whoever is running the program next season, we need more horses.

Reactions: RRebel
60-70% of the 3-pt shots are not going in and nobody on our team is looking for rebounds on those shots???

I’ve noticed in games that guys just run to the rim without tracking the ball. LuRod just ran underneath the basket last night and the ball bounced to where he just was. Other times, the Boones and Cottrells are allergic to going to the paint for rebounds. Whaley is the only one that is willing to get dirty. When Whaley is in foul trouble, you can just see how much of a struggle it is for unlv to get ANY rebounds.

1. Guess he felt Webster was supposes to carry some of that load, along with Keylan and JJ3...
2. Again Webster disappeared this year... terrible but he shot 40% I think last year and Keylan as well...
3. I have no answers here. We wasted a scholarship on some kid that can't play, left Jones on roster, and I guess he supposed Kalib/Ice/Hill together were supposed to be those guys. Nothing about his 4 years at that point last year as a coach in this league should've suggested undersized big men that stretch can win the league...

Combined, it's a terrible roster. Getting nothing from anyone on your bench isn't a good recipe. Having Seniors that play at times like freshman and not good ones, etc... only good things we've seen this year is Dedan and Whaley and Hicks starting to come together. It's too bad we don't have Gilbert and Hall...

Reactions: RRebel

I hate to say it, but you are totally right! Outside shooting and rebounding killed UNLV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT