ADVERTISEMENT

Marion to UTEP is picking up steam

Have fun trying to recruit those 3/4/5 stars to El Paso... I guess if they throw money at you with opportunity but that's one ugly place to play

Unless they r paying him huge bucks, it's not a job I take, he can get better!

Not this year he really can't. The better jobs that he would have had any chance with are drying up.

The positive about taking the UTEP job is that expectations are very low, so he would get some time if there are early struggles.

Secondly, if he has any success there he would get looks for a better job pretty quick.

On the plus side for us if he took that job, I'm not sure it would create a mass exodus of guys entering the portal to play at Utep under him.

I was told that a lot of the bigger programs didnt take a look at Marion because of his history with jumping around after a year.

IMO, stay another year with Ricky White (hopefully), grab a good QB out the portal and have him compete with Maiava and run it back. The offense has a chance to be even better next season. Then he will have his pick of top 25 OC jobs next year.

I was told that a lot of the bigger programs didnt take a look at Marion because of his history with jumping around after a year.

IMO, stay another year with Ricky White (hopefully), grab a good QB out the portal and have him compete with Maiava and run it back. The offense has a chance to be even better next season. Then he will have his pick of top 25 OC jobs next year.
Or bigger G5 HC positions... but if you enjoy packing boxes the way he does maybe it's enough to go. I don't get moving every year, especially if you have a really good secure system around you and you're at the top of G5s with regards to coordinating and potential talent being brought in...

Reactions: LVRebel2000

HC jobs are hard to get. If he has the opportunity he should go for it. If he fails then he can always fall back to a coordinator job someplace.

If im Marion's agent or whatever, I go to Tulane and gauge interest. If I'm Tulane, I go after Marion. I may be a bit biased because of my ties to New Orleans.

Last edited:
Everyone looks at jobs differently. Do you take any job because it's available or do you take "the right job". Not sure UTEP is that job for Mairon. Would like to see him stay and build something.

We’ll see. Supposedly he’s in a final 2 with Walden (Austin Peay HC).

I just question what kind of staff BM would put together, has he built enough connections over the years? I don’t know and that has probably hindered him with any potential HC jobs in interviews when the administration wants to know your plans for staffing (budget).

I just question what kind of staff BM would put together, has he built enough connections over the years? I don’t know and that has probably hindered him with any potential HC jobs in interviews when the administration wants to know your plans for staffing (budget).
Very good questions are posed here.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Everyone looks at jobs differently. Do you take any job because it's available or do you take "the right job". Not sure UTEP is that job for Mairon. Would like to see him stay and build something.
I agree. UTEP is such a dead end job and I feel like he would have to rely on transfers from the bigger southern schools that didnt pan out. Not a bad plan, but also not a sure thing.

Marion does not quite have the resume to warrant a good G5 job IMO, at least not yet.
IF UTEP offers, he should take it. Conference USA is a winnable conference, it is in Texas so he will be able to get some decent recruits there. Also like said earlier, low expectations. A somewhat gadget offense would work well there potentially as well.
I can see him coming back to raise his profile for a better job too, but next year will be tougher and his stock may not exactly rise unless we significant improve and return to the MW championship

I agree. UTEP is such a dead end job and I feel like he would have to rely on transfers from the bigger southern schools that didnt pan out. Not a bad plan, but also not a sure thing.

It's not.

But I would argue that he wouldn't need to set the world on fire to get looks for better jobs.

He gets bowl eligible within two years (Not hard to imagine in that conference) Other schools will take notice. Especially if offensively they put up big numbers.

Sean Lewis had a similiar thing with Kent State. A couple bowl appearances, got let go went OC at Colorado. Now at SDSU which is a pretty good G5 job.

I agree UTEP not a great job, but that could work to his advantage. Any kind of success looks really good.

I wouldn't blame him for taking it.

But there are some definite hurdles there and staff would be a huge question mark.

Alum are pushing hard for the hire. He is meeting with them in person today.
Man, that's a huge jump. Rising to. 3 year FCS OC, then G5 and P5 position coach a year each, then Texas as passing game coordinator for a season, to OC at UNLV. Id venture to say UTEP will have considerably less resources than UNLV. Plus the entire thing of being a HC for the first time (and probably also OC). That's a tough one imo.

They would need tp pay me an "El Paso" tax. I've never been anywhere I couldn't figure out how to like, but El Paso would be at the very bottom of my list. The El Paso tax would need to be $ 1 mil extra a year on my salary.

They would need tp pay me an "El Paso" tax. I've never been anywhere I couldn't figure out how to like, but El Paso would be at the very bottom of my list. The El Paso tax would need to be $ 1 mil extra a year on my salary.
I met a guy at UNLV who came to study from El Paso. He was studying criminal justice. He knew when he graduated he was going back to El Paso and work in law enforcement. I couldn't imagine what that would be like. Not for me.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I met a guy at UNLV who came to study from El Paso. He was studying criminal justice. He knew when he graduated he was going back to El Paso and work in law enforcement. I couldn't imagine what that would be like. Not for me.
Care to expound, Miester if you have the time. I have no idea what to do with the illegal immigration. We cannot just stop them...The immigration waves are stronger than any walls we can build.

Kenny Perry and Eric Price are also finalist. The AD usually likes older experienced guys but looks to be trying something different this go around

Marion was interviewed in El Paso for a reason. I know for a fact that there is a charter scheduled for 11:03pm out of El Paso to Vegas tonight.
Yeah sounds like Marion is heading to UTEP. He’s still there and was the last to interview. Generally they save the last interview for the guy they’ll offer.

Risky hire imo but wish him all the best there in El Paso.

If accurate I wish BM well and a BIG TY for his brief time here. He made a difference. That said, I’d much prefer an OC with slightly more staying power to help build a strong foundation going forward. I trust in CBO to make the right hire. And pls, no alums with limited experience other than playing for UNLV.

If accurate I wish BM well and a BIG TY for his brief time here. He made a difference. That said, I’d much prefer an OC with slightly more staying power to help build a strong foundation going forward. I trust in CBO to make the right hire. And pls, no alums with limited experience other than playing for UNLV.
No high school guys or "friend of the Fertittas" either

If Barry Odoms history says anything itll be a young up and Comer with good skills and will likely turn into a HC candidate at some point. His coaching tree for someone with 5 years as a HC already has 4 other HCs

Anyone who saw his resume and thought we were getting 2 years out of him was delusional.
Most of Rebel nation is delusional anyway.

But his girl is pregnant and will be delivering in the next couple of months. She also owns a small business in the city. Those are some reasons why ppl tied to the program thought that he would stay as of a couple months ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT