ADVERTISEMENT

Marion to UTEP is picking up steam

Funny thing about it. It's not really all that unconventional. He took some of it from an old Navy offense. But instead of the backs being each side of the QB he stacked them to one side. Then added RPO and Zone read elements.

It's unique in its alignments for sure.

To your larger point I agree 100%. Odom gave him free reign to run the offense. College football or football in general is funny in that it's equal parts stuck in their ways and innovative.
I agree it never got that crazy out there, not like advertised.

We some some unbalanced fronts, but not the crazy ones like 3 down lineman under the ball, with a couple tackles split out wide or that kind of craziness.

The "side car" back field creates a unique look and some different type of plays for sure, but it never got so far removed from more established offenses other than that. At least not regularly.

Part of that could be the fact that those types of things are much more difficult to pull off. A bit easier at the HS or FCS level. Another part could be personnel or the fact the running game fell off a bit. Limiting some of the things that you can do.

We also didn't run tempo that much. Again I think that it is due to the running game. It is much harder to pull off when you are getting 2 yards on 1st down runs more often than not.

I liked that we continued to add some wrinkles as the season went on, but it never felt like the offense was fully unleashed. Not sure if that is because it might not work on this level, or we just didn't have the dudes to play it yet.

Last edited:
I agree it never got that crazy out there, not like advertised.

We some some unbalanced fronts, but not the crazy ones like 3 down lineman under the ball, with a couple tackles split out wide or that kind of craziness.

The "side car" back field creates a unique look and some different type of plays for sure, but it never got so far removed from more established offenses other than that. At least not regularly.

Part of that could be the fact that those types of things are much more difficult to pull off. A bit easier at the HS or FCS level. Another part could be personnel or the fact the running game fell off a bit. Limiting some of the things that you can do.

We also didn't run tempo that much. Again I think that it is due to the running game. It is much harder to pull off when you are getting 2 yards on 1st down runs more often than not.

I liked that we continued to add some wrinkles as the season went on, but it never felt like the offense was fully unleashed. Not sure if that is because it might not work on this level, or we just didn't have the dudes to play it yet.
That's how I felt too. I'm not sure if it was due to our QB's understanding of the offense or what, but it seemed like too many plays were read options, and we'd just run the dive up the middle right into a bunch of guys. I'm not sure if that was Maiava not recognizing the D, misreading it, or if that was just the play call though.

gta-the-trilogy-here-we-go-again-2000x1270-1-696x442.jpg
Aw (bleep), here we go again.

Reactions: LocoRebel
Napier wont even make it through next season, if he even gets through this offseason... He doesnt fit Florida.
Side note: UF undergrad admission standard is on par with any IVY League schools across the country. 29-33 ACT scores with 3.7 GPA plus extracurricular activities and leadership involvements. That is just for the in-state students. This is a state's school.

Side note: UF undergrad admission standard is on par with any IVY League schools across the country. 29-33 ACT scores with 3.7 GPA plus extracurricular activities and leadership involvements. That is just for the in-state students. This is a state's school.
My daughter wanted to visit UF in her college search for that reason. Very impressive campus and The Swamp is spectacular but holy crap Gainesville is a sh!thole.

Very aware... was one of my schools I wanted to attend for undergrad. Grew up watching them... costs a fortune which is why I didn't go...

Very aware... was one of my schools I wanted to attend for undergrad. Grew up watching them... costs a fortune which is why I didn't go...
Today, anyone who is good enough to get into UF will get a full ride or very close to it. Close to it meaning that you have to pay for room and board and foods still.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
My daughter wanted to visit UF in her college search for that reason. Very impressive campus and The Swamp is spectacular but holy crap Gainesville is a sh!thole.
Really big toward Agricultural field...Surrounded by farms. Is that what you mean?

No, he means that Gainseville is the slums and doesnt have nice things.
Define slums? All of Florida and the world is full of slums. What are nice things? Cambridge, MA is a slum but it home to Harvard.

Let’s just say it was not the most pleasant experience off campus
Yeah no, it is not designed for that. If you want that go East you will find Disney. Or if you want a party school, Florida State is the one.

Not to be that guy, but is having high standards for good grades for Florida kids the same as elsewhere?
I mean "Florida Man" stories exist for a reason, lol.

Not to be that guy, but is having high standards for good grades for Florida kids the same as elsewhere?
I mean "Florida Man" stories exist for a reason, lol.
My 10 grader would love to defunct that. I saw his inorganic chemistry second test today. They already moving electrons charges in a compound similar to O-Chem I had in undergrad.

Edit: He got a 96% on his test today, y'all! Boy gonna get some nice Xmas presents. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: billd99s
My 10 grader would love to defunct that. I saw his inorganic chemistry second test today. They already moving electrons charges in a compound similar to O-Chem I had in undergrad.

Edit: He got a 96% on his test today, y'all! Boy gonna get some nice Xmas presents. :)
Right here, is it illegal to give my son a nice Christmas present for a job well done?

Define slums? All of Florida and the world is full of slums. What are nice things? Cambridge, MA is a slum but it home to Harvard.
USC has a fantastic and beautiful campus that entirely surrounded by slums. The tent city was a nice reminder to work harder to graduate, or I’d end up in one a tent. But now with the wait student loan interest is I may end up in a tent anyway.

USC has a fantastic and beautiful campus that entirely surrounded by slums. The tent city was a nice reminder to work harder to graduate, or I’d end up in one a tent. But now with the wait student loan interest is I may end up in a tent anyway.
really? No sir.

Pepperdine is beautiful no doubt but it doesn’t really feel like a campus to me. I prefer more traditional campuses and really enjoy some of the older campuses back east. Gothic buildings, quad, tons of trees. UNLV is definitely not that but I love UNLV not so much for its campus but for its openness to all comers and, ironically, its rejection of traditional thinking about what an academic institution supposed to be. Rebels!!

Pepperdine is beautiful no doubt but it doesn’t really feel like a campus to me. I prefer more traditional campuses and really enjoy some of the older campuses back east. Gothic buildings, quad, tons of trees. UNLV is definitely not that but I love UNLV not so much for its campus but for its openness to all comers and, ironically, its rejection of traditional thinking about what an academic institution supposed to be. Rebels!!
Umass in Amherst has a beautiful campus in the town of Amherst. There are about 5 different universities and colleges located in the same area so there is a real collegate atmosphere.

As bad as Watts is, USC in Watts is nowhere near Temple University in North Philadelphia. Beautiful campus in one of the worst areas in America. I’d rather live in Colombia than North Philadelphia.

As bad as Watts is, USC in Watts is nowhere near Temple University in North Philadelphia. Beautiful campus in one of the worst areas in America. I’d rather live in Colombia than North Philadelphia.
According to Roger Troutman, "California knows how to party" with him specifically citing " in the City of good ol' Watts".
Also that they "keep it rocking"
So it can't be that bad, right?

According to Roger Troutman, "California knows how to party" with him specifically citing " in the City of good ol' Watts".
Also that they "keep it rocking"
So it can't be that bad, right?
A friend of mine WHILE IN HIGH SCHOOL thought it said “in gold watch.” Almost, dude.

Cambridge is more like a dump than a slum :) UF is the best state college in the country and has an admittance rate on par with Duke and Harvard.

Cambridge is more like a dump than a slum :) UF is the best state college in the country and has an admittance rate on par with Duke and Harvard.
UF is not the best state school in the country. There are 4 in California that are better, not to mention. Michigan. Minnesota. Virginia. UNC. Texas.

It’s a good school, but….

Last edited:
Reactions: dcut03
Some sites say 31, some say 23. So is that on par with Duke and Harvard? Or were you trying to spread some type of agenda?
Not sure why everyone is looking at the acceptance rate, considering the acceptance rate doesn't always have to do with the quality of the school. With the huge population in California, almost every school in the state has a very low acceptance rate good or bad. Not sure why this is even a topic for a sports site?

Not sure why everyone is looking at the acceptance rate, considering the acceptance rate doesn't always have to do with the quality of the school. With the huge population in California, almost every school in the state has a very low acceptance rate good or bad. Not sure why this is even a topic for a sports site?
You have to ask my man up there why that was all brought up.

Do you feel the same way about the politics and Covid conspiracies that are always brought up on this site too?

Wall Street journal is not the gold standard to
Rank schools. There’s a 0% chance Florida is a better school than UC Berkeley, UC Davis, Michigan, Virginia, or UNC.

Not many people use Wall Street Journal's ranking. It's only been around since 2016 and hides its methodology behind a paywall. US News and World Report is usually the gold standard. Hell, that Wall Street Journal had FIU as the 4th best public university in the US (It's 64th on USNWR), New Jersey Institute of Technology 2nd (43rd in USNWR), and Michigan at 3rd (4th in USNWR). Florida is no slouch, it's 6th overall in USNWR, it's a really, really good school. But I'd take USNWR's list over WSJ's any day.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

You have to ask my man up there why that was all brought up.

Do you feel the same way about the politics and Covid conspiracies that are always brought up on this site too?
Not perfect, sometimes get drawn into those types of things, or even start them, but try my best to stay on sports topics most of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT