ADVERTISEMENT

Hawaii DC thinks they will have more fan's at the game than UNLV.

At least 60-40 UNLV likely more. Hawaii fans have been cool that I’ve seen… and many are worth seeing. 👀

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I didn’t see any in the stands.
Nor did I. Honestly I saw a lot of positive fan interaction. At the official UNLV tailgate and in the stadium; Hawaii fans buying UNLV gear and UNLV fans buying Hawaii gear. While it seemed a bit chippy on the field there seems to be a fair amount of goodwill between the fans. The mutual appreciation for each other’s communities seems evident. It’s one of the reasons I enjoy the Hawaii game.

Nor did I. Honestly I saw a lot of positive fan interaction. At the official UNLV tailgate and in the stadium; Hawaii fans buying UNLV gear and UNLV fans buying Hawaii gear. While it seemed a bit chippy on the field there seems to be a fair amount of goodwill between the fans. The mutual appreciation for each other’s communities seems evident. It’s one of the reasons I enjoy the Hawaii game.
I spent 3 months in Hawaii, the people are great. Really cool and chilled out people.

Reactions: ckfitz
ESPN put the attendance at 25300. Around 3000 more than Vandy. It looked to me like there was way more at this game than the Vandy game.

This sums up the experience around us today.

I really do think Odom and Co will be surprised by the vitriol around UNLV/unr rivalry.

This sums up the experience around us today.

I really do think Odom and Co will be surprised by the vitriol around UNLV/unr rivalry.
Yup, it’s pretty bad. Brought my daughters up for a game once, they were 5 & 8 years old. Reno hicks couldn’t even control their mouths around small children. Of course we did win the game so I guess they were a little upset. 😁 I do hope UNLV rolls into Reno with a huge chip on its shoulder. UNR will play well above its record and our guys need to match their intensity. From what I’ve seen of Odom I expect him to not want to lose this game. We can go bowling this year but a loss to UNR will take some of the shine of the season for sure. He needs to make a statement that his program is the dominant football in NV.

From what I’ve seen of Odom I expect him to not want to lose this game. We can go bowling this year but a loss to UNR will take some of the shine of the season for sure. He needs to make a statement that his program is the dominant football in NV.
I also think Odom will take it seriously and make sure our guys are ready. I think when we as UNLV people think of rivals we think of Hawaii and UNR above all. But they aren't the same type. Hawaii I'd a brotherhood rivalry and UNR is a hatred. Odom may learn about that first hand, especially if we are dominating in that game, that it isn't that "SEC pageantry" type of rival... its two groups of people who hate each other's existence.

Even if Rebs finished 7-5 or better and got to a bowl, a loss to reno would be soul crushing to me.

Last edited:
60/40 is even a stretch. More fans than I thought we’d have and more UNLV fans than I thought we’d have

Rebel side was all red with a sprinkling of Hawaii fans. Hawaii side had two sections but rest was predominantly red.

70-30 is probably close. I remember it being way worse in the past at Sam Boyd.

If we can come home from Reno at 5-1, I hope we can at least get the lower bowl of Allegiant completely full for this team. How many seats are in the lower bowl?

ESPN put the attendance at 25300. Around 3000 more than Vandy. It looked to me like there was way more at this game than the Vandy game.
Wow that is actually really good. When was the last time Sam Boyd had that kind of attendance? Several years anyway.

We averaged around 22k last season, that was without a marquee home game. We average about 16.5K the previous 5 years at least from what I could find.

Interesting to see how the rest of the year goes with attendance. The remaining Big games are on the road. Reno, Fresno, and AFA. Wyoming is the biggest home game left.

91 UNLV​

2018-2022 Attendance Average: 16,497.80
5-Year Filled Stadium Capacity 25.38%
2022 Average Attendance: 22,112
2022 Filled Stadium Capacity 34.02%

From another article:
"The Rebels averaged 17,499 fans at their six home games in 2017, per the NCAA. They averaged 18,000-some the year before that. Sam Boyd Stadium, their home in Las Vegas, holds about 35,000."

We averaged around 22k last season, that was without a marquee home game. We average about 16.5K the previous 5 years at least from what I could find.

Interesting to see how the rest of the year goes with attendance. The remaining Big games are on the road. Reno, Fresno, and AFA. Wyoming is the biggest home game left.

91 UNLV​

2018-2022 Attendance Average: 16,497.80
5-Year Filled Stadium Capacity 25.38%
2022 Average Attendance: 22,112
2022 Filled Stadium Capacity 34.02%

From another article:
"The Rebels averaged 17,499 fans at their six home games in 2017, per the NCAA. They averaged 18,000-some the year before that. Sam Boyd Stadium, their home in Las Vegas, holds about 35,000."
So from 17-18K to 25K is a hell of an increase. Being we had 22K last year I imagine the new stadium is partially responsible for that along with our hot start.

So from 17-18K to 25K is a hell of an increase. Being we had 22K last year I imagine the new stadium is partially responsible for that along with our hot start.
So far we are averaging 22, 750 with our 3 games thus far this season.

CSU for bowl eligibility could be a decent turnout, but it isn't gonna be a "big game" situation.

Wyoming is on a Friday night... which I think hurts attendance more than helps it. Being Veteran's Day weekend, I expect that to be like a Military Appreciation type game and maybe there will be some presence for that.

Senior day vs SJSU I think has potential to be a good turn out. Noon kickoff. I think there's a chance SJSU is playing for their 6th win (though I feel 5th us more likely). UNLV could be playing for it's 8th win (or maybe 6th or 7th)?

Potential for decent turnouts but I anticipate we have already hot the 2023 peak of attendance, unless we upset AFA or Fresno.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT