ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big!

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
Next year’s team could be scary big if the situation calls for it. Diong could be back for a 5’th year, Martinez or Del Cadia at the Power forward, Wood on one of the wings, Kaluma on another wing and Zaon Collins running the point. One of the best point guards in the country feeding 4 guys that are all 6’8” or better. With that length and athleticism you could run a serious zone defense.

On the other hand you can be just as effective going small. We have no idea whether Hammy or Jenkins will be back but we will still have some great guards to out there. Collins, Grill, Yap, Blake, & Coleman to go with smaller bigs like Del Cadia or Reece Brown. With the limited season upcoming there is no guarantee that either Hammy or Jenkins will get enough looks from pro scouts to be guaranteed being drafted.

Since we won’t be going to games this year I had to dream a little about next year Even though we aren’t even that close to playing our first live game this year. I hope there is a channel picking up all the games. A channel I have BTW!

Reactions: rebelwithacause
Hey ! A basketball post! I can’t wait for this year’s season to start. Shocked at no coverage in the paper or radio or here on Rebelnet.. I always think we will be better than expectations. And as for tv.. we probably will see the Maui and that’s it before conference season.. By the way, is there such a thing as sports information director ( sid) anymore?? Very poor job this year reporting on team activity...

Id hope Blake would break the lineup, has more of an arsenal and drive than Wood. Wood can be a good bench guy and sub for 3-5 depending on match-up. Martinez and Diong can not be on court same time, not enough depth or shooting. thats like playing masamba lopez same time. Could Brown emerge by then? not expecting much tbh. grill will be hard to keep off the floor. has a motor and a hard nose way to playing that coach likes. tillis getting a lot of coaches praise so far so if that translates to on court would imagine he is in the mix as well.

Id hope Blake would break the lineup, has more of an arsenal and drive than Wood. Wood can be a good bench guy and sub for 3-5 depending on match-up. Martinez and Diong can not be on court same time, not enough depth or shooting. thats like playing masamba lopez same time. Could Brown emerge by then? not expecting much tbh. grill will be hard to keep off the floor. has a motor and a hard nose way to playing that coach likes. tillis getting a lot of coaches praise so far so if that translates to on court would imagine he is in the mix as well.
Not sure that Martinez & Diong can be on the floor at the same time if we are getting pounded inside by a big team. That would still leave 3 good shooters which is more than we have had at any time in decades. I also hope for Blake to break through with some type of role. I was only trying to show that we will have some amazing possibilities next year but lest I forget we will have some amazing combinations to put on the court this year

kaluma is far from a "good shooter" , he is a scorer. word is wood can shoot lights out in practice but is very passive which doesnt translate well . im not shooting it down i love that they will be diverse going forward

Reactions: j. spilotro
Sports of any kind for any team are dead to me for 2020-2021. This includes UNLV.

kaluma is far from a "good shooter" , he is a scorer. word is wood can shoot lights out in practice but is very passive which doesnt translate well . im not shooting it down i love that they will be diverse going forward
Either the Presidents of the Universities will succeed in killing sports over a virus that doesn't affect young people, or we will return to a world of vaccine checks and false flag viruses keeping the panic going. No one says the elderly and people with co morbidities should not be vaccinated, but the Trumpster spent the money to make them happen, not Biden. Academia is and has been jealous of the jocks and their funding for a long time.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
Either the Presidents of the Universities will succeed in killing sports over a virus that doesn't affect young people, or we will return to a world of vaccine checks and false flag viruses keeping the panic going. No one says the elderly and people with co morbidities should not be vaccinated, but the Trumpster spent the money to make them happen, not Biden. Academia is and has been jealous of the jocks and their funding for a long time.
dont ruin a basketball thread.

Very excited to see our first game on Wednesday. I feel like we have 4 real solid guys as starters and 5 or 6 other guys that have a chance to be contributors and it sure seems like we will have a good 4 or 5 guys that can knock down 3's. That should open up driving lanes and present alley oop opportunities for Diong.

Diong will make double digit 3's this year!
BRR says that we may get the game on CBS Sports Net.

Reactions: Trax0r
Very excited to see our first game on Wednesday. I feel like we have 4 real solid guys as starters and 5 or 6 other guys that have a chance to be contributors and it sure seems like we will have a good 4 or 5 guys that can knock down 3's. That should open up driving lanes and present alley oop opportunities for Diong.

Diong will make double digit 3's this year!
BRR says that we may get the game on CBS Sports Net.
Loving that coach says coleman is a coach on the floor,
loving coach says Grill, Tillis, Del Cadia and blake have seperated themselves among the new comers
loving the 4 guard options yet ability to go big

My one big question for today is will people who have had the vaccination be able to attend games? Even though I am in good shape I should be among the first able to receive it due to my age.

Reactions: billd99s
My one big question for today is will people who have had the vaccination be able to attend games? Even though I am in good shape I should be among the first able to receive it due to my age.

I wouldn't count on it. Fauci is telling people to still wear a mask after they get the vaccine(s). :confused:

With that messaging, I doubt they are going to allow vaccinated individuals attend sporting events en masse. Not until enough people have had the illness or been vaccinated to squash the "numbers" down to a negligible amount.

You could have listed 1,000 different things that could potentially end my 700+ game home streak and it wouldn’t include my refusal to get an experimental vaccine.

But that’s where we are headed.

Yes; it’s experimental. If there are no long term studies by on the first Coronavirus vaccine, it’s experimental until that final data comes in. Which is dependent upon time, which is why vaccines take so long. This will be an EUA release which doesn’t mean it’s bad, just means it’s incomplete.

Hopefully it doesn’t come to that or there are exclusions, one being recovered from covid among others. But with the way Fauxi is pushing BS (masks work/they don’t work, remdesivir is great/it sucks, T cells may hold the answer/they don’t mean dick, we should never shake hands again, asymptomatics spread, etc), you can bet he will want us at 5% capacity, socially distanced to 10 feet while double masked, wearing a body condom, after the vaccination, a temperature check at the door, proof of vaccination card before anybody is allowed to attend.

You could have listed 1,000 different things that could potentially end my 700+ game home streak and it wouldn’t include my refusal to get an experimental vaccine.

But that’s where we are headed.

Yes; it’s experimental. If there are no long term studies by on the first Coronavirus vaccine, it’s experimental until that final data comes in. Which is dependent upon time, which is why vaccines take so long. This will be an EUA release which doesn’t mean it’s bad, just means it’s incomplete.

Hopefully it doesn’t come to that or there are exclusions, one being recovered from covid among others. But with the way Fauxi is pushing BS (masks work/they don’t work, remdesivir is great/it sucks, T cells may hold the answer/they don’t mean dick, we should never shake hands again, asymptomatics spread, etc), you can bet he will want us at 5% capacity, socially distanced to 10 feet while double masked, wearing a body condom, after the vaccination, a temperature check at the door, proof of vaccination card before anybody is allowed to attend.
Just think of the time that could be saved. Instead of a vaccination card they could just heat up a branding iron while they give us the vaccine and burn a V in our forehead.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I learned a while back not to worry about next years team till next year. So many things can change so why try to predict the future? I’m worried about NOW. This year. I’m hoping we look real good against Montana St and show strong vs NC. With that being said: I’m predicting the starting lineup for Montana St.... Diong, Del Cadia, Hamilton, Jenkins, Coleman. With plenty of firepower off the bench.. Should be fun ..
Go Rebels

Sad to see there's still a bunch of cry babies on here still.

As far as this years team I have no idea what to expect. I think they'll be good, but I'm confused why they were picked so low in the MW preseason. That makes me cautious to get too excited and by next year who knows what the team will look like with who returns and who leaves.

I’m expecting a 20 point blowout of Montana freakin State

As far as this years team I have no idea what to expect. I think they'll be good, but I'm confused why they were picked so low in the MW preseason. That makes me cautious to get too excited and by next year who knows what the team will look like with who returns and who leaves.
Well, it is good we have at least one game before going to North Carolina. Lots of new faces on the bench who have a lot of talent. Our problem will be under the basket. Four guard lineup will mean a pass and shoot offense, hurry back and play the passing lanes. Hard to do if the other guy is 6 10 or so and your 6 5. I am going to watch with interest the development of this new style of offense.

Well, it is good we have at least one game before going to North Carolina. Lots of new faces on the bench who have a lot of talent. Our problem will be under the basket. Four guard lineup will mean a pass and shoot offense, hurry back and play the passing lanes. Hard to do if the other guy is 6 10 or so and your 6 5. I am going to watch with interest the development of this new style of offense.
I won't pretend to be a 2020 MWC expert, but you nailed it. Historically, this conference has very good bigs of different varieties. Some good in traditional center roles, some 6 feet from the hoop, some as stretch 4. We will need to have system-based defense that the entire team plays into. I assume we have no prayer in defending the best bigs in this conference right now.

I think there are too many unknowns about this team: how good, really, are the new guys, how well will they play together and how long will that take are a couple things off the top of my head. Media always seems to live by the words, "When you don't know, pick'em low." That way they don't look stupid if the team flops and, if they're good, they can all just shrug and say, "who knew?" I think we'll be fine. Top three in MW.

Picked low due to roster turnover and past experience.

Looking forward to seeing how much Hamilton has improved, if Jenkins, Grill and Blake live up to the hype, and if Wood and Del Cadia give us anything positive. I expect Coleman and Diong to give us the usual steady play we're used to from them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT