ADVERTISEMENT

Get Over Yourselves

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
It is really quite amusing all of the self-righteous indignation being put forth on the board regarding the hiring of Menzies. When I look back to our last men's BB hiring probably 90% of the amazing brain trust that is UNLV Rivals was either jumping up and down for either Rice or Theus. There were some exceptions but I have to ask how have either of those 2 worked out for their respective schools?

The big time boosters were convinced to go with the will of the people and hired Rice. I can't blame them one bit this time for putting in a guy that they want. Deal with it!

As far as Menzies is concerned he has done something our coaches have never been able to do. Win his friggin' conference. Not just once but 5 or 6 times now I believe. He has worked for some of the best coaches in college basketball. You don't think Pitino et. al. had other choices they could have made when they put him on their staff? It is looking like some of our current players are liking what is going on and are considering changing their minds and staying to play for him. Go figure!

Oh yeah I know he hasn't won an NCAA tournament game yet but that is pretty tough coming from a shit conference getting a 14 or 15 seed going up against a 2 or 3 (no I haven't checked to verify those seedings, just my wild guess).

I was a Rebel fan when Roland Todd had the Convention Center rocking with Findlay, Chapman, Watson, Watkins, Lyons, Lou Small. Booker T Washington, Jimmy Baker, Florence, El Hud..........and I am a Rebel fan today.

There is no way that MM can turn out to be as disappointing as Rollie or Rice and he just might turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

Go Rebels!

The surprise is that Menzies will be far worse than you can imagine. He can recruit but cannot coach. He knows the jargon and spiel of Pitino but realize he never did any coaching under Pitino. He will be far worse than Rice and a win less conference season is a strong possibility.

It is really quite amusing all of the self-righteous indignation being put forth on the board regarding the hiring of Menzies. When I look back to our last men's BB hiring probably 90% of the amazing brain trust that is UNLV Rivals was either jumping up and down for either Rice or Theus. There were some exceptions but I have to ask how have either of those 2 worked out for their respective schools?

The big time boosters were convinced to go with the will of the people and hired Rice. I can't blame them one bit this time for putting in a guy that they want. Deal with it!

As far as Menzies is concerned he has done something our coaches have never been able to do. Win his friggin' conference. Not just once but 5 or 6 times now I believe. He has worked for some of the best coaches in college basketball. You don't think Pitino et. al. had other choices they could have made when they put him on their staff? It is looking like some of our current players are liking what is going on and are considering changing their minds and staying to play for him. Go figure!

Oh yeah I know he hasn't won an NCAA tournament game yet but that is pretty tough coming from a shit conference getting a 14 or 15 seed going up against a 2 or 3 (no I haven't checked to verify those seedings, just my wild guess).

I was a Rebel fan when Roland Todd had the Convention Center rocking with Findlay, Chapman, Watson, Watkins, Lyons, Lou Small. Booker T Washington, Jimmy Baker, Florence, El Hud..........and I am a Rebel fan today.

There is no way that MM can turn out to be as disappointing as Rollie or Rice and he just might turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

Go Rebels!

Pete-

I wish I shared your optimism on this.

His record vs top 100 schools is atrocious.
Even more concerning is his OOC record vs Mountain West teams. He is well below .500 vs teams that he will be coaching against on a nightly basis now.

This was a knee jerk hire. It may turn out that Marvin Menzies was a good hire, but besides winning a very bad conference his resume is meh.

I hope you are right and I am wrong. I will gladly put my foot in my mouth, since it means the Rebels are doing well under Menzies.

Last edited:
He will be far worse than Rice ...

So he will recruit at one of the highest levels in the country and still finish in the bottom half of the conference?

Sorry, lost all credibility there. There is no possible way to be far worse.

I agree with Pistol Pete.

It's actually embarrassing to see the dumb comments on this board over the past few days. I'm embarrassed for the entire fan base and hope that Marvin and any potential recruits don't read this board and actually think that our fans are such d-bags.

Marvin's going to be the coach. People can either accept it or don't renew their season tickets.

Marvin had a pretty good track record coming from a lower conference. He got a heck of a lot further than our program has gotten the past few years, so this can be a great improvement. Now that he'll have UNLV and its facilities behind him, he can recruit at a higher level and be able to compete with schools with superior athletes. Let's give the guy a chance.

I agree with Pistol Pete.

It's actually embarrassing to see the dumb comments on this board over the past few days. I'm embarrassed for the entire fan base and hope that Marvin and any potential recruits don't read this board and actually think that our fans are such d-bags.

Marvin's going to be the coach. People can either accept it or don't renew their season tickets.

Marvin had a pretty good track record coming from a lower conference. He got a heck of a lot further than our program has gotten the past few years, so this can be a great improvement. Now that he'll have UNLV and its facilities behind him, he can recruit at a higher level and be able to compete with schools with superior athletes. Let's give the guy a chance.

Superior athletes? We have three players right now. One Juco transfer a walk on and Poyser.

His teams play hard and

Go Rebels!

On the ncaa performance, I will help you with some facts and also an observation. Some have said they have watched a lot of NMSU basketball and that is the basis for their opinions. I can't say I have watch a lot of NMSU basketball but I have watched some, especially in the ncaa's tourney. CMM teams play hard and two games I remember vividly were the Michigan State game and the San Diego State over time game. Any one who watched the Michigan State game will recall Izzo got lucky with that lane violation late in the game that keep him from being upset by a 12th seed. The SDSU game was a war and they took the Aztecs to the brink.

I posted NMSU ncaa tournament record under CMM so you can decide if he has under performed because of the loses to Kansas, Indiana, Michigan State, San Diego State and St. Louis as 12-15 seeds in the 1st round:

2010 12th Spokane, WA Midwest First L 70–67 to Michigan State
2012 13th Portland, OR South Second L 79–66 to Indiana
2013 13th San Jose, CA Midwest Second L 64–44 to Saint Louis
2014 13th Spokane, WA West Second L 73–69 OT to San Diego State
2015 15th Omaha, NE Midwest Second L 56–75 to Kansas

Last edited:
On the ncaa performance, I will help you with some facts and also an observation. Some have said they have watched a lot of NMSU basketball and that is the basis for their opinions. I can't say I have watch a lot of NMSU basketball but I have watched some, especially in the ncaa's tourney. Two games I remember vividly were the Michigan State game and the San Diego State over time game. Any one who watched the Michigan State game will recall Izzo got lucky with that lane violation late in the game that keep him from being upset by a 12th seed. The SDSU game was a war and they took the Aztecs to the brink.

I posted NMSU ncaa tournament record under CMM so you can decide if he has under performed because of the loses to Kansas, Indiana, Michigan State, San Diego State and St. Louis as 12-15 seeds in the 1st round:

2010 12th Spokane, WA Midwest First L 70–67 to Michigan State
2012 13th Portland, OR South Second L 79–66 to Indiana
2013 13th San Jose, CA Midwest Second L 64–44 to Saint Louis
2014 13th Spokane, WA West Second L 73–69 OT to San Diego State
2015 15th Omaha, NE Midwest Second L 56–75 to Kansas

Do you have his record vs

Top-100 teams

Or

MWC Schools during his tenure.

I think those are fair to bring up as well.

Reactions: UnlvRebelde
Do you have his record vs

Top-100 teams

Or

MWC Schools during his tenure.

I think those are fair to bring up as well.

Actually the proper inquiry that would objective would be this! CMM is currently at a low major program and in a conference that yearly has a conference RPI of 24- 26. Consequently, how does he compete against his peers? That doesn't matter? What was NMSU's home court winning record under CMM? What about that? Also, you do agree that it is very difficult to win on the road in college basketball and how many of the top 100 programs play in Las Cruces NM?

Following your line of logic since Howland and Bo Ryan failed to defeat top 100 programs at Northern Arizona or Wisconsin Milwaukee or win any ncaa tournament games they were terrible hires for Pitt and Wisconsin? Right? I guess you see no difference between the difficulty of UNLV's road game in football at UCLA or the home game against conference rival SDSU because its all the same in evaluating a coaches performance.

The surprise is that Menzies will be far worse than you can imagine. He can recruit but cannot coach. He knows the jargon and spiel of Pitino but realize he never did any coaching under Pitino. He will be far worse than Rice and a win less conference season is a strong possibility.
And how do you know this??? Do you have a crystal ball?? Are you some sort fortune teller that can see the future?? So let me get this straight so that I understand, he won all those games because he can not coach?? The players did it all on their own? Or was it actually the asst coaches that did the coaching? Please help me understand how this guy ever won a basketball game and or conference titles if he does not know how to coach. Please enlighten me.

Actually the proper inquiry that would objective would be this! CMM is currently at a low major program and in a conference that yearly has a conference RPI of 24- 26. Consequently, how does he compete against his peers? That doesn't matter? What was NMSU's home court winning record under CMM? What about that? Also, you do agree that it is very difficult to win on the road in college basketball and how many of the top 100 programs play in Las Cruces NM?

Following your line of logic since Howland and Bo Ryan failed to defeat top 100 programs at Northern Arizona or Wisconsin Milwaukee or win any ncaa tournament games they were terrible hires for Pitt and Wisconsin? Right? I guess you see no difference between the difficulty of UNLV's road game in football at UCLA or the home game against conference rival SDSU because its all the same in evaluating a coaches performance.

What line of logic are you talking about? I asked if you had stats. In trying to build a consensus you need as much information as possible.

All you are presenting are things to make coach Menzies appear to be a great hire. I think it is disingenuous to not include information that may shine a less positive light.

I for one am not the happy about this hire. With that said, I do like that Coach Menzies was succesful in his conference. That is something we have not been during the 'Rice Era'. This is a positive.

On the otherhand the jump from the WAC to the MWC in terms of talent is not so great that his poor showing vs MWC teams should not be a cause for some concern.This is a negative.

See that is presenting two sides of a story.

And how do you know this??? Do you have a crystal ball?? Are you some sort fortune teller that can see the future?? So let me get this straight so that I understand, he won all those games because he can not coach?? The players did it all on their own? Or was it actually the asst coaches that did the coaching? Please help me understand how this guy ever won a basketball game and or conference titles if he does not know how to coach. Please enlighten me.

Dave Rice had a higher winning percentage in a tougher conference.

Could Dave coach?

Go Rebels!
So on one hand, you talk up Menzies ability to win the conference, and on the other you use the "shit conference" as an excuse for why he's never won NCAA tourney (or big OOC) games. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

Thanks for the arrogant post but just because you're willing to settle (which makes no sense to me, at an advanced age, don't you want to see the Rebels win in your life time?) doesn't mean the rest of us are "self righteous" because we expect more.

If UNLV hired Thunder Dan Marjerle they would be all for it. But my first question would be Ok, I like Thunder Dan, but why no conference titles in the same WAC? Why couldn't he beat NMSU for the conference title? Why is Grand Canyon 1-5 against NMSU?

Look, I have no clue how CMM will do. But he should be given a fair shot.

Reactions: manic water

Could Dave coach?

I won't bash Dave because he is a good guy. But CMM just finished up two back to back 13-1 seasons in conference and was the conference coach of the year. Dave just posted the two worst back to back conference records in 20 years.

Reactions: dnvrfan
I won't bash Dave because he is a good guy. But CMM just finished up two back to back 13-1 seasons in conference and was conference coach of the year. Dave just posted the two worst back to back conference records in 20 years.

My point was over all record and winning percentage.

So on one hand, you talk up Menzies ability to win the conference, and on the other you use the "shit conference" as an excuse for why he's never won NCAA tourney (or big OOC) games. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

Thanks for the arrogant post but just because you're willing to settle (which makes no sense to me, at an advanced age, don't you want to see the Rebels win in your life time?) doesn't mean the rest of us are "self righteous" because we expect more.

Manic get your point and I have a simple question. Who? Pitino used UNLV in the media. Dixon said "thanks, but no thanks." Cronin pulled a Boatright on UNLV. Beard cut and ran home. Thunder Dan and Randy Bennett had no interest. Another unproven assistant maybe? Is Russ Turner at UCI a better choice?

Manic get your point and I have a simple question. Who? Pitino used UNLV in the media. Dixon said "thanks, but no thanks." Cronin pulled a Boatright on UNLV. Beard cut and ran home. Thunder Dan and Randy Bennett had no interest. Another unproven assistant maybe? Is Russ Turner at UCI a better choice?
George Karl. That option should have been explored more rather than expecting him to commit over the phone.

Could Dave coach?

How did Dave do with his own players after Stanback, Moser, Marshall and Bellfield? Kruger did leave the program in pretty good shape didn't he? Also, CMM and CDR overall winning percentage are about the same but CMM when it come to performance in conference there is no comparison.

George Karl. That option should have been explored more rather than expecting him to commit over the phone.

Manic, my dream hire was GK and John Welch as the associate head coach. But GK wasn't coming. Maybe if Brad Rothermel was the AD it would have been different.

Manic, my dream hire was GK and John Welch as the associate head coach. But GK wasn't coming.

Karl never had a chance to come because our panicky, sobbing AD forced Menzies down our throat on a Saturday before even properly considering the Karl option.

Tina was so afraid of being left at the alter AGAIN, that she jumped to hire the only guy she was 100% sure wouldn't leave her.

Tina was given a miraculous chance at repreive in the 11th hour when a HOF coach expressed interest.... then she panicked and blew it again. Yay.

The entire Rebel-Net (more like Rebel-Nuts!) universe has gone off the deep end. Marvin is the coach. Let me say that again --- Marvin is the coach. If you don't like it, then bring John Wooden back from the dead or continue to believe that Pitino was really going to come here. Marvin prospered in his conference with what he could recruit to a team in that conference. He's a proven winner who now has access to better facilities, and he has Vegas where kids want to play and therefore better athletes than he has ever had access to will come. The dude hasn't even had his contract approved yet and the Rebel-Nuts universe is going crazy because he isn't John Wooden or Rick Pitino and he hasn't yet stocked his roster.

Give him a chance. If he sucks as a coach, then so be it. We've sucked for two years straight, so we can only go up from here. But bringing negativity and showing a complete lack of support is not helping things.

Reactions: dnvrfan
I wish I was all swaaaggered out about Marvelous Marvin, that way I could preach positivity and take pot shots at anybody who's mad at hire by calling them Rebel Nuts. I got your nuts right here, Swagger.

Reactions: Doneoett
The way I see it is worst case scenario is we got another guy that can recruit and not coach.

Best case he can and we get back to Kruger days.

I will actually take that right now because the program was teetering on the edge for a second there.

The entire Rebel-Net (more like Rebel-Nuts!) universe has gone off the deep end. Marvin is the coach. Let me say that again --- Marvin is the coach. If you don't like it, then bring John Wooden back from the dead or continue to believe that Pitino was really going to come here. Marvin prospered in his conference with what he could recruit to a team in that conference. He's a proven winner who now has access to better facilities, and he has Vegas where kids want to play and therefore better athletes than he has ever had access to will come. The dude hasn't even had his contract approved yet and the Rebel-Nuts universe is going crazy because he isn't John Wooden or Rick Pitino and he hasn't yet stocked his roster.

Give him a chance. If he sucks as a coach, then so be it. We've sucked for two years straight, so we can only go up from here. But bringing negativity and showing a complete lack of support is not helping things.
Anybody who expects Rebel fans to be doing cartwheels after a 3+ month search that replaced Rice with Menzies is the real nut!

We've sucked for two years straight, so we can only go up from here.

You've never seen how bad it can get. Not close. None of us have.

But bringing negativity and showing a complete lack of support is not helping things.

Until changes are made this athletic department won't have my support. Many others as well.

Those of us who have donated many RAF dollars over the years are perfectly justified to voice our distaste for this hire and the BS process that led to it. If you have a problem with that, kindly hit the ignore button.

And knock off the name calling. When you're trying to look like the level-headed adult in the room calling everyone childish names is sorta counterproductive..

Reactions: Vegas007
I knew I could draw a reaction by supporting our new head coach and showing some positivity! :)
[banana] Good for you, show that swag!

When Rebel basketball is dead and buried and the NHL is King in Vegas, you can always say how positive you were when the program was first diagnosed with the Menzies.

Gotta love the toughy tough guys on a message board. Lmao just listen to your beloved michael Jackson n calm down turbo

Gotta love the toughy tough guys on a message board. Lmao just listen to your beloved michael Jackson n calm down turbo
Lol so you do remember, thought you 'd gone senile early. I'd say you're more of the internet tough guy mould since every post you make is taking a swing at someone, right turbo?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT